A to Z Series Finale Recap: Do Andrew and Zelda Live Happily Ever After?

A to Z Finale Recap

Those hoping for some resolution as to what happens after A to Z‘s central couple is done dating will have to keep on hoping.

Thursday’s de facto series finale, “M Is for Meant to Be,” found Andrew and Zelda pondering their own future when his seemingly perfect ex-girlfriend Madeline (Dreama Walker, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apt. 23) arrives in town following a breakup.

Zelda is convinced the gal is there to win back Andrew, so she sets up Madeline with her own ex. After convincing Andrew she just came for his support, Madeline reveals to Zelda that she really was there to get him back. After all, when they first met, Andrew told her it was meant to be, the same line he gave Zelda on their first date.

Andrew tries to convince Zelda he was being sincere with her, but she just replies, “Until you really mean it with the next girl.” He can’t guarantee they’ll be together forever, he tells her, and this makes Zelda’s decision about a partnership offer (from executive producer Rashida Jones, finally putting in an appearance) in New York all the easier. (What if this is actually a prequel to How I Met Your Mother?)

“This job is a sure thing and I don’t want to turn it down for something that isn’t,” she says.

But when she looks out the window of her New York office and sees Ted Mosby a stranger sitting at a desk in the next building, she decides she doesn’t like the view.

Meanwhile, Andrew leaves her a voicemail, admitting maybe there’s no such thing as meant-to-be. “I don’t care because I want to be with you,” he adds as Zelda shows up in her silver dress.

So what happens next? Stephie gives them four months, Stu thinks they’ll get married and we’ll just have to wonder in frustration.

What did you think of the A to Z finale? Were you hoping for more answers?

1. Eric says:

A somewhat happy ending, I guess? But too many open threads for a series finale. Gave it a B for the show, but the series finale was more like a D+.

• GuessWhat says:

well to be fair, the show runners had no idea this was to be the finale

• Brad says:

That is not correct. NBC announced they would not order any more episodes after they had filmed 11 episodes. They had time (admittedly not much) to re-work the final episode.

• Gern Blanston says:

If you read any interviews with the people in charge of the show they are still under the impression that they are not cancelled. I know that the episode order was stopped at 13 and I know what TVLine has on their renewal scorecard but, those in charge of the show still believe (or at least they still beleived the last time that I read something about it) that they still have a shot at a second season and that’s probably why they ended it the first season the way that they did. I’m doubtful about it but, hopefully they know something that nobody else does.

• Gizmo says:

I enjoy the this show, so I’ve been keeping up with it pretty regularly and I noticed like you have mentioned that a lot of the show runners seemed to strongly believe that there was a chance the show could come back (I noticed one of the producers/writers even tweeting yesterday during the finale that she’s optimistic they could get the chance to finish out the n-z episodes). Like you said, I don’t know if they know something we don’t or if they are just being delusional, but I’d love it if it somehow came back (maybe during the summer) to at least finish off the alphabet and the remainder of the story.

2. forg says:

Well that was a good enough de facto final episode. It’s open ended in a way. But the final scene clearly tells they are Meant to Be ;)

3. Tran says:

I give the final episode of A to Z an A. It had high hopes but why “hate” on a romantic TV sitcom. Total disgrace to the haters.

4. GuessWhat says:

Oh — knew it was cancelled and wrapping up its run — but had no idea this was the last one tonight. I actually watched all eps and enjoyed this show enough. Better than some of the other crap on TV that keeps getting renewed. So to A to Z, I say RIP.

5. Tom says:

Um………….would it have killed Katy to say “And then starts their engagment.”? Or “They go their separate ways”. I really enjoyed this show. Really the only romcom that rightly ended was Manhattan Love Story. This was enjoyable.

• DJR says:

I agree. Why is it so easy for us, the viewing public, to come up with a reasonable alternative when the writer’s can’t?

6. Lindsey says:

Haven’t they known for a while that it was ending? I feel like they could have changed the narration or something to make it more clear. I mean, we’re obviously supposed to assume that they are meant to be and everything, but I hate open endings on shows like this.

• Gizmo says:

Part of me thinks that at one point there was still some possibility that NBC could give it a full season. If you happened to come across Rashida Jones’ Twitter, she tweeted often that the show was not canceled but that people really needed to make an effort to tune in and voice their support on social media. I think that when they wrote this episode they probably tried to do it in a way that gave viewers an ending should this be the end, but also left possibilities open if it got picked back up again. Either way, I’m sad to see it go.

• Ray (the other one) says:

Rashida Jones is either delusional, or didn’t want to publicly admit cancelation so the viewership to decline any further. NBC clearly opted not to pick up the show for the back 9 which almost certainly means it has been canceled.

7. laurelnev says:

Guess it SHOULD have been called “A to M.”

8. Joey Padron says:

Good finale. It ended in a good way. Sad show won’t continue for another season.

9. ndixit says:

I feel sad. This was a lovable, optimistic rom com and Andrew and Zelda had lovable chemistry. It was the only new comedy I bothered watching. I’m glad it at least ended on a note which suggests that they are ‘Meant to be’. I wish Ben and Cristin get another opportunity to be a rom com couple on a show because they really were had great chemistry together. NBC really screwed all its comedies this season with bad scheduling.

10. m3rcnate says:

It was a cute show, it ended in a cute way, i had fun with it but a show i didnt give a chance but really fell in love with on Netflix was “Mixology”…personally i had more fun watching that show (at least certain people on that show) than this show. (Ironically they both have the same “red head bearded gross , bad with women” best friend guy).

11. Mary says:

I’m sad to see this end at the letter M. It was a really cute show. It would’ve been nice to get an actual ending. Maybe another network could pick it up? Or maybe just finish it off as a summer time show?!?! Oh well sad to see it go.

12. John Jacob says:

We must be the only people on Earth who even somewhat like this show. I can’t believe it’s being canned. I rather enjoyed it and only Big Bird scenes made me roll my eyes. The rest of it was pretty fun/snarky/funny in a different way. I’m usually pretty on par with the general viewing public but nobody else seemed to enjoy this show.

13. Tim says:

Gonna miss this show. It was quirky and funny, and had its touching moments. NBC never really gave it a chance.

14. canjura says:

I wish some other network would have taken this show. It was something I looked forward to every week. I loved Andrew and Zelda.

15. Kenter says:

Would it have been so hard to give the show a little more closure? I think they should have ended it with the narration as they did and then show the M again with the word “marriage” underneath it. That would have been a nice and easy way to end it and give the show closure.

• DJR says:

16. Dick Whitman says:

I watched every episode of this rom-com until it was cancelled. At that time I said to myself, “What’s the point?” and never watched it again. I did enjoy the episodes I watched. The leads were great but I think that some of the others may have been miscast.

17. Cyndi says:

Cute as an episode. horrible for a finale.

18. Gerald says:

So Sad to see it go. I wondered if that was the finale. It was great and touching and left me pretty satisfied. It was so well written and acted.

19. LittleC says:

Wish they told us but since they date for 1yr4mos I think they get married!

20. Jenny says:

I loved this show and I am so disappointed it will not be returning. :(

21. Christy White says:

NBC…this is a fun show. We have so few happy shows. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL this show!!!

22. rob says:

Perfect ending to a charming witty romantic comedy. A shame it was buried by NBC.

23. Jen Leigh says:

Cute show. Better than other rom oms presented this year. Sorry to see it go. Finale left me satisfied enough. Just to double check, did the amount of time they dated change every episode? Was this because the series was cut short?

24. Earl says:

They lived happily ever after! That’s what I choose to believe.

• Gizmo says:

I saw on Twitter this past weekend that the show’s creator Ben Queen replied to a tweet from a fan saying how disappointed they were the show ended without knowing what really happened to Andrew and Zelda in the end. He tweeted back letting the fan know that the show is loosely based on him and his wife’s relationship if that offered any consolation. So I take it as they would have ended up getting married and living happily ever after.

25. Ella says:

Shame this got cancelled, I really liked it. At least it was a somewhat happy ending.

26. Theresa says:

They better be coming back. They are only on M….. The show is called A to Z. I am so tired of liking a show and these writers or whoever they are keep canceling shows before their time. Drop dead diva, beauty and the beast to name a couple. Start a series. Stick with it! There’s so many out there now. They need to go back to regular fall seasons and summer shows and stop all this weird stuff of 5 does ok break for a month or two that’s ridiculous.

27. Kayleigh says:

Love this show but devasted that they finished it at ‘M’ (episode 13). Want to see more :'(, will not be happy if there is not another series