The Flash Recap: Running Hot 'n' Cold

Flash Captain Cold Heat Wave

This week on The CW’s The Flash, as Central City weathered both a nasty cold front and a gnarly heat wave, the scarlet speedster (as well as Cisco) lent a helping hand. Meanwhile, Caitlin made a curious discovery about her “dead” fiance’s new name.

“Revenge of the Rogues,” perhaps more than any episode to date, played like a live-action comic book – which is a good, good thing. As previously chronicled on these pages, I’ve always been a fan of the comics’ Captain Cold, so every moment in which Wentworth Miller let loose with the cold gun was pure joy.

And because I’m also a Prison Break superfan, having Dominic Purcell grunting through his role as Cold’s frenemy Heat Wave was like peanut butter and chocolate.

To recap: The episode opened on a quiet note, as Iris prepared to move out of her childhood home and in with Eddie – this despite Barry having just poured his heart out to her. But then we dive into the action, as Cold and Heat tried (yet failed) to lure The Flash to a routine car theft. Instead, they realized, they must target someone close to him.

Upon realizing that Captain Cold is back in the mix, Barry struggled with his “priorities” – settle an old score and possibly endanger civilians, as he did during their first row? Or focus, at Dr. Wells’ urging, on his training, and leave the S.T.A.R. Labs team to help the police (with cold-resistant shields)? Barry let himself to be persuaded to The Flash Season 1 Spoilers Captain Cold Heat Wavechoose the first path, but when Snart showed up with his hot-headed friend and roasts the CCPD, he realized the error of his ways.

Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, as Caitlin searched for info on the “Firestorm” that Ronnie mentioned when last she saw him, Barry shares an update on his sad Iris sitch. Their convo triggers Barry to suggest that Firestorm is possibly acronym — and a remarkably unwieldy one it is! Caitlin follows up on the research paper she dug up, and learns that a Professor Martin Stein (to be played by Spy Daddy Victor Garber) had his F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. project abruptly shut down and commandeered by the Army, after which the prof vanished.

After Caitlin is kidnapped by IcyHot on her way back from the university, The Flash – thanks to some Ghostbusters-like advice from Cisco and a heroic move by Eddie – successfully baited the villains into “crossing streams,” thus cancelling out each of their terrorizing toys.

With that bit of business behind him, Barry helped Iris with her final boxes, after which they discussed the awkwardness between them. Barry said that (irony alert!) he could “see into the future,” and what he saw was a happy Iris and Eddie, and he and she back to being besties. Later, sharing a beer with Joe, Barry decided to move back into the West home – if only because his neighbors are getting a wee bit suspicious about his whoosh!ing in and out.

But Cold and Heat aren’t down for the count. Rather, a prison break of sorts was part of Snart’s plan, as their transport van is intercepted and they are freed… by Snart’s (unseen) sister, to be played by The Tomorrow People‘s Peyton List.

IN A FLASH:
* Was Dr. Wells about to rise from his wheelchair and save Barry, during the training session with the drone? Also: LOL at Barry’s pile of consumed Big Belly Burgers!
* Spy the Space Ghost comic book in Barry’s (red-and-yellow) school backpack?
* Hartley Rathaway aka the art buyers’ son = Pied Piper.
* Eddie telling Joe he can swing by, provided he call first. “Or not. Whatever!”
* As enjoyable as Cisco’s naming of baddies is, it was really nice to see him get a serious-ish moment in the sun this week, making his case for the CCPD to use S.T.A.R. Labs tech and take a big step toward earning back the city’s trust.

What did you think of the episode “Revenge of the Rogues”?

1. The Flash is so cute to think that this is the last time that he will see Captain Cold. I swear this show never makes a bad episode.

2. Bwhit says:

My Prison Break loving heart was full when Wentworth and Dominic came on screen! Thank you to the flash for making this happen!!!

3. herman1959 says:

I LOVED IT! Sorry for screaming, but this was the best episode since the premiere for me. Oh so many moments…like when Cisco was giving his presentation to the police and I thought to myself “he’s decked out the guys in Ghost Busters, then he actually said Ghost Busters! And when Iris was packing to leave, I had to keep MYSELF from screaming “no, Iris, don’t go!” Then the fabulous Captain Cold (Mr. Miller) and his partner in crime stage a PRISON BREAK with the help of his sister. Loved it, loved it, loved I! Great recap, Matt.

4. mike says:

awesome episode loved it how eddie saved the flash

5. aaj says:

Ehhhhhhhhh. Meh.

• Data1001 says:

Ditto that sentiment. I’m so bored with Captain Cold and the Heat Wave dude, too. Aside from them being generally bland characters, neither of them create any real sense of conflict: their power is that they shoot guns? How could they possibly be defeated?!? Except… oh, two good ways right off the top of my head: Flash grabbing their weapons from them as he speeds between them; the police shooting one or both of them in the back (and it wouldn’t even take a hail of bullets, although that would certainly do the trick).

• Marc says:

I must agree with you. I just couldn’t help rolling my eyes at Cold and Wave as they chatted about taking over Central City and wondered countless times why the police didn’t just post two snipers on a roof and take care of the goons. As far as villains go, they are pretty lame.

• LT says:

Bored? Heat Wave dude just came on…

6. Ky says:

Good episode. Look forward to seeing how things with Barry and Iris play out.

7. indi says:

MORE IRIS WEST AND WESTALLEN ♡♡

8. Piper says:

I loved the Barry and Iris scene at the end. They have so much potential to be an epic couple, best friends turned lovers, hope it happens for them. Another awesome Joe/Barry scene, can’t get enough of them.

9. Olivia says:

I can’t wait to see more of Iris and Barry. This episode had so much angst but I can’t wait Iris to finally acknowledge how Barry makes her feel and for them to finally get together!!

10. I loved all the final moments this episode. Between Cisco saving Caitlin and promising she wouldn’t die while he was around to Barry trying to reassure Iris and moving back in with Joe, I was a puddle of goo.

And, Barry, sweetie: your read on the future is way wrong. YOU’RE the one Iris is gonna be happy with. ;)

11. cara690 says:

Overall thought it was a great episode! Captain Cold and Heat wave were awesome! I really hope that Barry and Iris work things out. That scene of them at the end was quite sad. I really love them together. Hopefully they get together soon. The Joe and Barry moments were nice as well. Cant wait for next weeks episode!

12. Skittles&Bits says:

One thing this show has been doing consistently well are the Joe/Barry scenes. Their rapport is just spectacular! I loved the ending scene and I’m excited to see how Barry moving back in, now that he’s the Flash, will impact their dynamic.

13. Eileen Tucker says:

Why was Joe wearing that hat through most of the episode? It didn’t seem to make sense most of the time.

14. keenen says:

The more Barry and Joe scenes I see, the more I think they are going to kill off Jesse L. Martin. Maybe that will be the catalyst for Iris and Barry to realize their feelings. Does anyone know what episode he will start dating her co worker?

15. Alexis says:

Loved the episode from The Flash vs The Rogues, barry /joe scenes, Eddie saving barry to Cisco rescuing Caitlin (that scene was too cute.) Also loved all the awkward Westallen scenes.

Though I must say that they are underutilizing Iris. They need to jumpstart her career as a journalst especially now that the flash is now made known to the public. I’m guessing that’s probably why they had her at the rogues vs flash fight scene so that she has a connection and perhaps something to write about. I bet that will get the attention of the Central City newspaper causing them to hire her.

16. Joey Padron says:

Great episode. Wentworth and Dominic did great together. Can’t wait to see them on the show again. Cisco did great helping the police. The Flash did great defeating Captain Cold & Heatwave. Can’t wait for next episode!

17. Drew says:

I just want to see a scene where Barry tells people to stop making him do their work. Yeah, it goes by really fast for them, but it is still work for him. He still had to move each of those boxes and read all 800 pages with time slowed down around him. I would get pissed if people kept making me do stuff like that.

18. LaPiquante says:

The last 8 minutes or so made me so happy!! THE PRISON BREAK GUYS BROKE OUT OF PRISON!!! Michael had a plan, and Lincoln was the muscle! All felt right with the world, when that all went down. Sorry for the shouting, but that was great. Some may say it’s typecasting. I say it’s fanservice perfection.

One thing, though: Iris moved 6 minutes away. Why did Barry & her Dad act like they didn’t have to UNload the truck?!? It was a cute moment, though, after Iris left. So okay, fine.

• KatsMom says:

Did they have an actual truck? I admittedly wasn’t watching that scene all that closely, so maybe there was one. But I just assumed they were making a bunch of trips with a car, since she wasn’t moving furniture or anything that huge. Easy enough to unload with just 2 people.

19. Delante says:

Hands down my fav episode since the pilot. I can’t wait for Captain Cold & Heatwave to return later on with Golden Glider in tow!!

20. Alichat says:

Anyone else think that Caitlin’s fire-generating fiance would actually be the one to appear and save her??

21. Gail says:

They need to give Barry his own girlfriend. Maybe Patty as in the current comics.

22. Kathy says:

I love it, especially seeing the Prison Break stars Wentworth and Dominic!

23. Pat says:

The Flash episodes, never fail me and last night proved that for me. This show just keeps getting better and better and I am enjoying every minute of it.

24. Essie says:

From all the latest new tv series The Flash is one of my favorites. It’s great and it keeps getting better and better. It’s awesome to see Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell together again, their chemistry is so great. And I can’t wait to see Peyton List on the show.

25. RichCD says:

I liked alot of it, but the villains veered too much into ’60’s Batman-style camp for me. Plus, why didn’t the police just shoot IcyHot when they were aiming their super guns at the Flash?

26. daviddavid says:

Pretty good episode; I love the flourishes and references here, from the Space Ghost comic to a true prison break; Miller and Purcell are great together … and, Jesse always wears that skull hat … Tom Colins indeed! Pretty great episode. Love Tom Cavanaugh … who indeed looked like he was going to stand up.
    Who is sis?

27. Briggs says:

Iris moving in with Eddie is giong to add some drama to the proceedings, but not all of it bad. And is it just me, or is the framed picture she took with her clear forshadowing of what’s to come?
    The field training was fun to watch, though watching Dr. Wells moved to get out of the chair when he saw Barry might be in trouble shows me that more than anything, Barry’s safety is of the utmost importance to Harrison. That he would risk showing his secret in front of Cisco and Caitlin makes that much of his motives clear. The later scenes make me wonder a bit. ‘Partners’? Did anyone else catch the hesitation at being described as a friend of the Flash?
    I love Joe needling Wells about pushing Barry to up his speed rather than help the police department. Clearly, while they had been equally unhappy about Barry and Oliver being buddies, they are not of one accord about everything. And how sweet was Joe about Iris moving out. His scenes with both her and Barry were so good. Father of the Year goes to…
    I like that Cisco got the chance to try and redeem Star Labs, at least in the eyes of the CCPD. The show is slightly more serious, after the wake-up all they got on Arrow, and it shows. I’m not saying Cisco couldn’t have delivered the same speech before the crossover, but I don’t think it would have been as effective. Still love my boo, and I’m going to keep watching to see how he grows.
    Oh, poor Caitlin. Once again, the lone woman on the team is the one who gets snatched. Don’t get me wrong, I liked how they worked her investigation into what’s up with Ronnie into the main plot. Just… poor Caitlin. Though her moment with Cisco was absolutey precious, and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. And how great was the team-up between Cisco and Joe? Loved it.
    Admittedly, the acronym was a bit much, but I think it worked for it’s purpose.
    Also? Loved that Eddie saved The Flash. After what happened during the crossover, he had every reason to let The Flash roast/freeze, but he didn’t. It tells me that Eddie is not the villain at this point. He’s just a cop, doing his job.
    I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the battle, and how Barry finally defeated the two bad guys. Painful, but effective. And yes, I loved the Ghostbusters reference. Just as fun as when they did it on Castle. :) The reveal at the end when IcyHot (oh, Matt) is rescued by Cold’s sister was masterful.
    And did anyone else giggle at the preview for next week?

28. jj says:

Overall, it was a rather disappointing episode. I like the little nuggets on firestorm, mentioning of Barry working towards increasing his speed and moving back in with Joe. Unfortunately I did not enjoy the return of Captain Cold and Heat Wave. Looking forward to the next episode with a new villain.

29. Luis says:

Outstanding – it reminded me of the vintage Flash comics I read growing up in the 70’s. Nice touch with CC busting out the “Scarlet Speedster” moniker. Loved that moment at the beginning where Wells’ foot twitched ever so much before Barry destroyed the drone. I thought the Eddie/Iris move-in was handled deftly – points to Rick Cosnett on that oh so awkward invitation to Joe. Nice resolution to the Barry/Iris awkwardness, though we’re obviously going to re-visit the issue of their relationship down the road. Can’t wait to see Victor Garber as Martin Stein – he’s one of those familiar faces you’re always happy to see when he appears. Also can’t wait for an explanation of how Ronnie is tied in to Project F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M.

Just one thing – I never watched “Prison Break” so maybe I just never heard it, but was Dominic Purcell speaking from two feet below his diaphragm or did he spend the week before filming gargling coal? Every time he spoke I wanted to get a Kickstarter going so he can get vocal cord surgery.

30. ashleybob says:

I love iris West and Candice Patton

31. trishb says:

Really loved Cisco and Joe this ep they were my mvps felt sorry for eddie for the first time ever as well, the shade joe throws his way is epic, expected a bit more from cold and heatwave but it was their first outing as a villainous duo so I won t judge too harshly, could have also done with a bit more iris and barry scenes, so overall, not as epic as I expected but a solid first episode back, looking forward to what’s in store and who s going too out shady Wells and of course iris becoming a reporter.

32. Holly says:

The Prison Break reunion brought me immense joy! It was great, can’t wait for them to return.
    Watching the city and police embrace The Flash was a great development. Barry and Iris being so awkward around each other was SO awesome. And his line about being able to the see the future. Lol. The future is Barry and Iris together. Patience Allen it will happen.

Barry moving back with Joe was perfect. The West family is amazing.

33. Briana Williams says:

Loved this episode !!! Every Barry and Iris scene was heartbreaking. Candice Patton is such a wonderful actress. I need more Iris/Joe scenes. the daughter/father relationship is so refreshing to see portrayed on a superhero show. I also need more Iris. The faces she makes are so good.

34. Kerubo says:

My favourite line— ‘make it pizzas and you are on’. after such an epic mid season finale, I wasn’t sure how they were going to top that. But the show delivered. When Wells almost stood up I was like, whaaaat? for real? What’s his agenda?(He doesn’t want Barry to die but then again he is the RF) aaaaaah…

Another favourite line… I am a millennial, that is what we do.

We all know that Iris is end game buuut, it would be great seeing Barry actually liking other girls. I’m glad he tried to patch things up with her. Though there was no hugging this week. Bummer :P