Parenthood: Who's 'Super Bummed' to Have Been Cut from Series Finale?

Parenthood Series Finale Corbett Cut

When NBC’s Parenthood bids us adieu on Thursday, Jan. 29, at least one familiar face won’t be seen taking part in the inevitable sobfest as planned.

Following his Sunday appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, where he was promoting the new FX/Denis Leary comedy Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, John Corbett confirmed that he had shot a scene for Parenthood‘s very final episode, only to learn it didn’t make the cut.

“I got a bad call from [Parenthood creator] Jason Katims two nights ago — they had to cut my great scene,” Corbett shared with reporters. “They flew me all the way from New York [to Los Angeles] to do a scene with Lauren [Graham], and God, it was such a good scene. I got to see [Amber’s] baby” — aka Seth’s grandchild — “and they had to cut it for time. I was super bummed.”

Since late Season 2, Corbett has recurred on the NBC drama as Seth, ex-husband to Sarah and father to Amber and Drew.

Still slated to put in appearances in the series finale are Sarah Ramos (as Haddie) and Matt Lauria (Ryan). (With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Tran says:

Really didn’t like John Corbett’s character on Parenthood ever since his first appearance in Season Two (lackluster year).

2. Alex says:

Well, that’s just obscene.

3. Maddy says:

Couldn’t they have cut Ryan’s scene instead?

4. jean says:

Well, I am super bummed too. I loved Seth!

5. Lizo says:

DVD special feature!!

• shutuprob says:

I have the feeling that this wasn’t the only scene cut from the episode, so I would bet that the DVD is going to feature an extended cut of the entire finale.

6. christina says:

Nooooooo!!! I wish we got to see more of his character. I hope the scene makes it to the DVDs.

7. Eliza says:

Darn, was hoping for an appearance and to see a moment like that before the end.

8. Cass says:

I vote they cut out a Hank scene since he’s gotten more than his fair share of time this season in favor of adding Seth’s scene.

9. pamela says:

i think that was an important scene that shouldn’t have been cut, thank goodness for dvds.

• drhenning says:

NBC should have given them a 90 minute farewell episode….

• Brian says:

Agreed. They should have given Parenthood a 90-minute finale-I’m sure there was plenty of material. And they could have easily trimmed a half hour from The Biggest Loser before it. But at least we all got to see a planned final season that wrapped everything up. Hopefully, the Emmys will show some appreciation-the entire cast deserves one.

10. Stacy says:

Still happy they shot it! I’d rather the writers are able to make an incredible ep they can’t air, but can still include on the DVD than to not make it at all. We’ll still get to see this, so there is a silver lining.

11. didi says:

Ugh, Haddie. She should have been cut instead of Seth.

12. Tina says:

I’ve been wanting to watch Parenthood for some time now, but dear lord does it sound depressing!

• Cass says:

I wouldn’t describe it as depressing, but it’s definitely emotional. I’ve cried more times than I can count watching the show, but it’s not necessarily because of a sad story, often times because of it being so touching. It’s hard to explain, but I recommend checking it out. You’ll know pretty quickly if it’s something you’ll love, it had me hooked from episode 1.

13. kg says:

Interesting that he doesn’t mention any time with Amber. Is she the one who is going to die giving birth??

14. Tracy says:

Maybe they’ll put the scene on the DVD’s! I’m sure Parenthood will be doing a big series end DVD or a box set.

15. sarah j says:

That is too bad, I would liked to have watched that scene. I do not know why NBC could not have granted them a 2 hour finale.

16. Kris Patterson says:

I love this show and really think it should continue. Why are they discontinuing it. It is one of the best shows on TV. I want to see everyone a lot more! !

17. Judy says:

I am so saddened by the cancellation of Parenthood. This is my favorite show on tv. I really wish at least a spinoff could be made maybe following the lives of the adult children and their families. It is a great show and maybe it’s only following is adults, but it is the best show on tv at this time. I love the characters, and I almost feel like they are part of my family! I cried at the end of last night’s episode. One more episode. I’m sure I’ll be a basketcase.

18. John Corbett played Seth Holt, a recurring role quite eloquently, he was brought to LA to shoot a scene, but now they don’t have time to include this particular PARENT in the finale of PARENTHOOD?!. It’s a shame…Katims made time for endless moments at the academy and even closed with Ave Maria (not unlike NEWSROOM) but doesn’t have time for a Dad. Don’t get me wrong, I have been a fan since the beginning. I have accepted that many of these characters manage to survive with no visible means of support (like Amber and Drew to name just two), but I can’t believe Seth’s character was incidental to Sarah and her children’s plot line.
    I guess they think we didn’t notice that the very expensive crib for baby Zeek was sent by Amber’s dad, Seth. The writers will spend 10 minutes of air time with Amber, Sarah and finally Hank putting together the crib Seth sent (and let’s not forget all the wasted airtime with Drew and Amber wandering aimlessly through a baby store looking at cribs.) Again, Seth, though a minor character, is Amber and Drew’s father. His character deserved to be in the finale for more than one reason.

19. Jennifer says:

I am so upset this series is coming to an end. It is absolutely the best show on TV with an amazing cast. I feel there is so many stories left to tell and it is such a mistake to end this series.

20. Carole says:

The series finale of Parenthood was “Amazing “. It brought me to a place where I wanted to be a part of this family. The montage of the future was superbly portrayed, even with Zeke’s death- helping us realize that life goes on, there is so much to look forward to and allowing us to realize how much we have to be grateful for. Thank you !