Gary Sinise to Headline CBS' Upcoming Criminal Minds Spinoff

Criminal Minds Gary Sinise Spinoff

One of CBS’ new Criminal Minds will be a very familiar face.

TVLine has learned that Gary Sinise, who for nine seasons led CBS’ CSI: NY as Detective Mac Taylor, has been cast on the planted Criminal Minds spinoff.

Specifically, Sinise will play Jack Garrett, a 20-year veteran of the FBI who heads up an elite BAU team that handles cases involving Americans abroad.

The potential spinoff, penned by Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer, will be filmed in February as an episode of the original series to air this spring.

Since wrapping his CSI: NY run, Sinise has spent the past year-and-a-half devoting his time to his Gary Sinise Foundation’s humanitarian work.

1. Temperance says:

Yes, total non-starter with me. Sinise and his bizarre personal politics/causes can take a flying leap.

2. michael shimansky says:

whatever Lt Dan does is great

3. Carrie says:

Wonderful. He’s such a talented actor. I probably would have watched anyways but now i am excited.

4. herman1959 says:

Another series spinoff and Gary Sinise again…really? Let’s move on, please.

5. Tim says:

ridiculous

6. Beth says:

Have missed Gary Sinise…glad to hear he’s back!

7. karen says:

Glad to see Gary Sinise coming back

8. This makes me very, very happy. LOVE Gary Sinise! :)

9. Dean says:

Wasn’t going to watch this at first but hearing Sinise is on it I’m in! Maybe they can get Stella as his second in command.

10. Mollly says:

This makes me very happy. Love CM, love Gary. Together should be a very watchable show.

11. LWolf says:

I can’t wait to see him in this. :)

12. Tran says:

He was so great on CSI: NY. Don’t know if the Criminal Minds spin-off could mark Gary Sinise’s comeback.

13. Dean says:

Also find it interesting his name is ‘Jack’ if he knows Hotch it would explain a lot.

14. How cool it have been if he could have reprise the role of Taylor in the new show so his story could continue?

• Jon says:

Most CBS procedurals seem to exist in the same universe. CSI and Criminal Minds shared a crossover once a few years ago I believe.

• Without A Trace and CSI did one, and Cold Case and CSI NY did one. but I can’t recall if Criminal Minds ever got in on that.

• CM never did any cross overs in any other show except to introduce CM Suspect Behavior. kind of bummed that they haven’t yet!

• A says:

But I think somehow the concept of having an investigator of a crime and a profiler exists in their universe and they know it. For example, in CSI season 7 there was this guy that acts like a profiler, Catherine tells him he’s a CSI not a profiler. Then one episode on CM (not sure about the season) they mentioned CSI. I’d like to think that they coexist in the same universe.

15. SANDY says:

Fantastic he is great

16. King says:

WOW! Totally unexpected. I was hoping to see him on a different kind of TV show something that would put him on Emmys/GG again. Not so sure about this spin off though. It looks like a one season show to me since CM has not exactly been successful in the spin-off business. But I’m excited anyway. I loved CSI: NY and I can’t wait to watch him on CM! I hope this show becomes a success.

17. Sally Ann says:

OMG – it is ridiculous how excited I am about this! I love Gary Sinise and have missed his TV presence so much since CSI:NY ended.

• bj says:

I love Gary too. Can’t wait to see this one. I hope it’s well written and we have him back on our screens for a long time.

18. susan says:

Love Criminal Minds and love Gary Sinise so am looking forward to seeing this episode to see how it would be as a series.

19. mick says:

Hearing that Gary is going to be in it will definitely pull me in. I’ve always liked him & look forward to seeing him again. Hope it goes well.

20. Love Gary in CSI NY, but I LOVE Criminal Minds, and to me all spin offs take away from the original..Nothing against Gary..but I DO NOT WANT CRIMINAL MINDS to change!

21. Sue Herrin says:

Love Gary Sinise. He will be great. Can’t wait to see it.

22. Robin Cohen says:

Delighted he’s coming back!

23. Delighted he’s coming back to CBS!

24. Julie says:

Love him, but I don’t know how much I trust the writers with the whole “Americans ABROAD”.

25. pamela says:

Great to have Gary Sinise back, was sad to see CSI NY go off the air.

26. Tiera says:

Well that’s one way to get me watch, I love Gary Sinse and NY was my favorite CSI.

27. Diane says:

Gary is a good actor and human being with great cause. Yes a Republican so what does that have to do with anything!!!

28. Jimmy says:

I’m a bit conflicted about this, mainly because the previous Criminal Minds spinoff wasn’t that good, and it had a decent cast. So, by casting Sinise, who is a really good actor and a pleasure to watch, it won’t mean much if the show itself isn’t up to par.

Now I wonder who the rest of the team will be. My hope is that they bring back Rachel Nichols, and cross over her character to the spinoff; I think she did well for the short time she was on CM. I also enjoyed Jeanne Tripplehorn, but I think the reason her character struck out is because she was supposed to be a replacement for Prentiss and it didn’t work. As an actress, I like her, so maybe they can try again on the spinoff. But PLEASE, I beg, do NOT bring back Elle Greenway! I couldn’t stand her!

29. Ted Witek says:

FANTASTIC NEWS!

30. susan says:

Great! He is such a good actor and I’ve been missing him.

31. Olivia says:

Never liked him or CSI for that matter. I’ll pass.

32. Bella says:

I love him! I’ll watch it for sure now.

33. Noa says:

Sorry, I won’t be watching. Sinise is a known homophobe who even participated in one of those Christian ‘gay cure’ seminars. I’ll give it a miss, and I hope everyone else does and send CBS a message.

34. That’s great, I love Gary Sinise/ Welcome back to CBS.

35. Pat Edwards says:

VERY happy to read this!!! Watched every episode of CSI: New York and will watch every episode of this Criminal Minds spinoff – BAU. Also watch Criminal Minds every week.

36. carol39 says:

Love Gary Sinise and all that he stands for. He is a VERY talented actor. i missed him and can’t wait for his new show.

37. Marcia says:

Ooooo. I’m excited. I thoroughly enjoyed Gary Sinese and am looking forward to this new show.

38. Marcia says:

Isn’t it just wonderful that if this upcoming spinoff doesn’t interest you that you can just NOT watch it? Don’t like what you perceive to be the politics of the writers, Hollywood & the story line—don’t watch it. Personally, I can’t wait for it. Love CM and love the idea of this spinoff WITH Gary Sinese.

39. javadude54 says:

Pass.

40. Sherri says:

Love Criminal Minds…having Gary Sinise head the cast in a new show is a terrific bonus.

41. Walkie says:

I was hoping Gary would go back to doing movies again.

His talents are wasted on shows like CSI and Criminal Minds.

42. grace kalmus says:

I can hardly wait!! Gary, you’re great!

43. prish says:

Oh, please let it NOT be gruesome, gory, bleak and too speculative of criminal profiling. Please, let it BE where they save the victim. Obviously, the husband and I bailed on Criminal Minds after the first season. Hopefully, Sinise can create a positive CM brand. We watched each of his CSI-NY episodes.

44. Amanda says:

I was just watching a rerun of Criminal Minds, the 2-parter “Hit” & “Run”, and the end, during the wedding, Emily is talking about taking the job in London heading up the Interpol field office. Now THAT would be a great spin-off! Love the character of Emily Prentiss,(Paget Brewster), plus having Sebastian Roche, (Clyde Easter), as a recurring role would be awesome. With all that’s happening in Europe , there would be some great story lines. Why save it all for movies?How about passing on the suggestion, TVLine?

• Amanda says:

…almost forgot: It’s about time we had a female lead up one of these BAU type shows….don’t you think?

• Angela says:

I’d love to see that :). And if they can manage to work Emily into this new spinoff somehow, all the better.
        As for Sinise, I haven’t seen much of his work, but what I have seen I’ve liked, so I’ll be interested to see how he fits into this setup (and I may lean left, but so long as actors aren’t trying to push their beliefs on anyone else, I really don’t get too bugged about their political preferences. Plus, when I’m watching a TV show, the political backings of the actors in question isn’t even on my radar to begin with, so…).

45. Kay says:

Gary Sinise has been a fave of mine since “Lt. Dan”. Must admit I am a little concerned by spinoff shows, but it will be worth a shot.

46. Lorna Duffy says:

Brilliant hes a great actor .

47. Sam says:

I love CM, however my one big complaint is that it always looks like its filmed in LA. I can’t imagine how they are going to show the world.

48. colleen goree says:

I WILL BE WATCHING IT I WAS VERY UPSET THAT CSI NEW YORK AND CSI MIAMI BUT NOW THERE WILL BE A SPINOFF OF CRIMINAL MINDS WITH GARY SINISE I CANT WAIT WE LOVED HIM AS MAC TAYLOR. WILL BE WATCHING IT

49. shannon says:

Pretty smart to chose such a great and likable lead. Gets me to tryout shows like this when I’m kind of sick of procedural dramas. I love how he gives his time to vets, when most people of his wealth simply write a check.

50. Debra Tangen says:

I absolutely love Gary Sinise & am so looking forward to this new Criminal Minds spinoff!!!