Parenthood Recap: No One Is Alone

Parenthood Joel Julia Together

After last week’s utter sobfest, it’s only fair that Thursday’s Parenthood — the third-to-last episode ever, in case you’ve last track — gave fans, and their supply of Kleenex, a bit of a welcome reprieve.

Don’t get me wrong, I nearly lost it when Drew apologized to Zeek for ruining his French excursion, then again when Zeek and Millie revisited their old home, now populated with a new family. I also felt a twinge of emotion when Sarah finally answered Hank’s proposal, and I got a big ol’ lump in my throat when Joel and Julia reunited on the ice.

Oh, who am I kidding? I was this close to crying throughout the entire hour — but at least they would have been tears of joy. Now let’s dive into all of this week’s key moments, shall we?

JOEL & JULIA | If I’m dreaming, and Joelia’s long-awaited reunion was merely a figment of my imagination, please don’t pinch me. Seeing them wake up in bed together was beyond words, and I loved watching her hide him from the kids like some sort of cleft-chinned Christmas present. And while I also enjoyed their smaller moments together — like when he told her, “I will never leave you again,” or when he called her just to hear her voice — nothing compared to him surprising her and the kids at the ice-skating rink. (“Oh my gosh,” is right, Sydney. This is really, finally happening!)

SARAH & HANK | Determined to prove himself a viable husband, Hank rolled up his sleeves and got to work helping Amber put together her baby’s crib this week. (Speaking of viable husbands, Amber remains understandably concerned about her future with Ryan.) The crib turned out beautiful, despite him not using several important-looking pieces, and his plan was executed flawlessly: Sarah caved said yes! And if the promo for next week’s episode is any indication — Zeek talks about wanting to walk Sarah down the aisle — I’m thinking there’s a good chance we’ll see that wedding in the series finale.

ADAM & CROSBY | The fate of the Luncheonette was also revealed this week, and it looks like it’s here to stay. It took some convincing — mostly from Jasmine, who has spoken approximately 15 words this season — but Adam finally saw how much the business means to Crosby. Actually, it was more than that; Adam saw how much joy it brought him, and how much he loved working alongside his brother. With so much uncertainty in the Braverman universe right now, I have to say I’m glad that at least one thing won’t be changing (aside from the stolen Janis Joplin photo, which has been replaced by a framed shot of two equally iconic and distinguished gentlemen).

Tell me, fellow Braverman wannabes, did you also manage to fight off tears this week? Or was the mere prospect of this series ending in two weeks enough to trigger waterworks? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the episode, and your hopes for the final two episodes, below.

1. JB says:

Before Adam changed his mind, I really thought Crosby would be the 1 who dies. (I also think he still might be). He would get so depressed and kill himself or die in a motorcycle accident. It still seems like it’ll be Zeke. Mae had Instagrammed a photo of some of them in dresses (hers was black). She said “Not a funeral scene”. So hopefully that is Sarah & Hank’s wedding.

2. KT says:

Did anyone catch a whiff of sadness/concern when Christina told Adam to make a decision based on his bottom line and not on Crosby’s feelings… anyone else think Christina might be hiding something? Seeing her in the hospital again made me think maybe something will be wrong with her…

3. Linda says:

Julia and Joel phone talking. Julia and Joel in bed. Julia and Joel hiding from Syd. Julia and Joel hi/want to hear your voice. Julia and Joel ice skating rink. …and some other stuff happened. ;)

4. jen says:

Wouldn’t the kids have seen Joel’s car in the driveway?

5. He took a cab silly! He’s way smarter than that! So glad the reunion finally happened and revisiting the old house was a great touch!

6. misery chick says:

I didn’t cry as much as last week, but I sobbed when Sarah & Camille were looking at the pictures and when Zeek & Camille were at their old house. It’s just so nice to see the family together, you know?

If Zeek has to die, they really don’t need to have it happen during the show, just in the near ‘happily’ ever after future after the show has ended. Given that he’s very very sick and won’t survive much longer, do we really need to see his actual passing?

Show is going to be too damn sad as it is!

7. analythinker says:

I’ve always been Team Mark, because I think he has the most connection with Sarah and with him, she can be her independent self and not “cleaning up his mess” like when she’s with Seth or Hank. BUT, I’ll admit when she said yes I was teary. Hank’s been really trying lately so I gotta give him some credit. Plus, I think not all of us end up with someone who’s perfectly compatible.

8. Carla Krae says:

Didn’t cry this week. Didn’t get misty until the preview for next week.

9. Ashley says:

i had visions dancing in my head of a double wedding. Hank is actually starting to grow on me.

10. Sue Goshow says:

I had my box of tissues at the ready, but didn’t use it! I don’t know how they are going to have a “happy ending” if ANY of the characters passes on, maybe that was just a rumor (?). I didn’t want Sarah to say yes to Hank, his character bothers me (maybe I am just so used to Ray Romano being funny that I can’t accept him as a serious actor) but there really wasn’t any other love interest for her to end up with. I LOVE MAX! He is a wonderful actor and deserves to have won at least one Emmy for his part on this show! OK. done ranting. Have a great day!

• PH says:

I think it was a rumor, the producer/creator mentioned something along the lines of an event that would effect the entire family, could just very well be his (Zeke’s) season long battle with this heart issue

11. rachel says:

“Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV! ”

What is this a communist country?

• Jack says:

I love that TVLine does this…There are hundreds of thousands of other sites where comments are not monitored, people are going off topic, are frakkin’ cursing and boring everyone, so good for TVLine for not putting up with it. For those who want to do those, they should probably find one of those other sites.

12. PH says:

Why do people assume Zeke, or therefore anyone is going to die before the end of the season. All they have said from the beginning was that the family was going to be dealing with something they have yet do deal with so far in the series, and Zeke having these surgeries is something that “effects the entire Braverman Family” I could be wrong but I dont think anyone is dying in these next two episodes, and that is a good thing

13. Ruth Desmond says:

Why is this show ending?? It
    s absolutely the best show on TV??

14. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Happy Joel & Julia are officiality back together. Glad Sarah said yes to Hank’s purposal & nice he help build Amber’s baby crib. Hope Adam staying in business with Crosby will work this time around.

15. Adam says:

Simply put- this was as close to a Perfect Episode as there ever has been…!

(I think Hank is a good guy and character. For what it’s worth I never liked Sarah with Mark. I’m very surprised that Adam changed his mind and not sure that he should have, either).

16. I love this show realy going to miss this family. Hope to see both girls hoppy

17. Anna Z. says:

In my opinion, Sarah is settling for a relationship below her level of communication and awareness (Oblivious Hank leaves her to spur of the moment go out with kid and ex wife w/o at least discussing with her or extending an invitation to join as one example, and she is not upset by this?!?). She is settling for a future of always seeing a bigger picture and waiting for equal responsiveness which will never happen. Especially true when we have seen her capacity to interact with a significant other in some of her previous (good) relationships. Now mommy Sarah/oblivious “son”
    Hank will be wed?!

18. AMR says:

I loved the scene with Zeke and Millie looking at the children playing at the old house. You could see nostalgia and joy in their faces. I really hope that it ends with Zeke deciding to get surgery but we don’t see how it all turns out. I don’t want the show to end on a sad note.

19. Rebecca says:

Yup I teares up when Joel and Julia kissed… Man I am going to miss this show!!!!

20. Bebee says:

Too many sappy happy endings / it’s not that I want terrible bad stuff to happen to any of the braverman family, but it’s so pat warp it up with a bow, and keep the predictable way out . It’s so silly that Joel and Julia are going to work on their relationship, as not to upset their troubled kids, have one serious talk, and presto chango , back together. Then we have Sarah, miss particular , who somehow says yes to Hank, even though, he is much better , has a rebellious , troubled daughter. Sarah has had enough problems with her own kids. The ending is too predictable.

• Michele Bysko says:

I really wish that the powers that be would reconsider taking this show off the air. By everyone’s comments, it’s obvious what a well liked show it is. It’s the kind of show that has made us feel like one of the family and we care about the characters in that way as well. Keeping this show on would be a great thing for 2015!!!

21. Television says:

I think this episode was boring and predictable. They don’t need to wrap up every single detail, like they already moved on from that house and now Adam’s house is “the” house. That was already done. The only thing I liked about this episode is Hank. He is there for the “father” role more than their real dad and he struggles with human interaction. Was so nice what he said to Amber about her being independent.

22. Sue Wilson says:

Please don’t cancel this show!!! It is the best show on TV!!! Why not try moving the show to another night if you are not getting good ratings on Thurs.

23. Elizabeth Allen says:

So sorry this is the final season of this terribly undervalued program. Love all the characters and the writing is spectacular. Sorry the Emmys and the Globe’s never really got it!

24. Jan says:

There’s really no point in me trying to hold back tears … I am a VERY “easy cry.” I loved Amber’s reaction to Hank’s offer to help with the crib. Glad this episode was a little more upbeat, but still with plenty of heart. BTW … those creeps stole the Joplin photo? That’s an outrage!!

25. Mel says:

Love this show. The best “surprise” would be that they extend it! Can you imagine the joy?! Such heartfelt characters! I love that Julia and Joel are getting back together – and why would’t they? They show great love for each other (and not just the kids)…so they had some issues, who doesn’t (very very few)? The real deal is when you work thru them! Hank and Sarah – I love them as a couple too, as it shows how there are so many different types of couples. So what if he doesn’t communicate as well; there are so many levels of communication and words are often over-rated! Maybe we as a society could start to also see the other side, the communication from the heart…and from the practical level, as long as he is trying, which it looks like he is (which makes ALL the difference), simple things that Sarah can say can make all the difference – and he gives her great freedom too (which comes when there is less speech – I know, I love being in love with a quiet guy and I know the benefits of freedom that it gives – there is so much freedom in silence.

26. Kim R says:

Oh my goodness, I’m going to miss these people! With the impending death rumours, I really hope they don’t do that to us with only 2 episodes left. To deal with it and play it all out in a satisfying way for me, there needs to be more time than this. So, no one dies. The. End. :)

27. ron ambrry says:

I think Zeke. Will die at the same time Amber has her baby it will be a boy she will name zeke so that new life begins as one ends.

28. Exactly the same for me. I wasthisclose to tears all of those same moments. This was probably a “we won’t make you cry this week..but you WILL ugly cry the last 2 episodes”, episode. I look forward to but am dreading the final 2 episodes.

29. Miffy says:

They should give Crosby his own sinof. They could call it “The Crosby Show”.

30. SUSAN says:

THIS IS THE ONE SHOW I WILL DEARLY MISS!!!!!! “PARENTHOOD IS THE BEST WRITING, STORYLINES AND ACTING ON TV!!!!!! THE ACTORS ARE A REAL FAMILY!!!!

31. i was crying happy tears the whole time, especially when the kids saw Joel and Jules together, and the acceptance of the proposal. HOWEVER, the preview made it seem like Victor is going to be on the fence.

Also can we please discuss how HUGE Xolo Mariduena is now? The kid has literally sprouted like a weed. Sometimes i have to go back and do the math for how much time has passed since he started, i feel like none of the other kids have grown as much as he has…. well ok MAYBE Max…

32. Janie says:

so I wonder..Dax Shepherd does a cameo on the show About a Boy every once in a while as the character Crosby….usually it is just when the main guy is playing poker and his friends come by… i wonder once Parenthood is gone if Crosby could become a recurring character on that show…. maybe even give us updates on “how the family is doing”

33. Lori says:

When some one searches for his essential thing, thus
    he/she needs to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained
    over here.

34. Yolonda says:

I was so mad at Julia for letting Ed come in between her and Joels relationship even more mad when she wasn’t considering Sydney and Victor