Which Smash Stars Will Reunite for the Live Production of Bombshell?

Smash Live Performance Broadway Katharine McPhee Debra Messing

History will be made at night when Smash‘s lead actresses reunite for a live staging of the defunct NBC series’ central musical.

Stars Katharine McPhee, Debra Messing and Anjelica Huston will join Megan Hilty in the previously announced one-night-only staging of Bombshell, Zap2it reports.

The performance will include all 22 songs from the Marilyn Monroe biographical musical at the center of the Peacock Net drama.

The performance has been moved up a week to June 8, and tickets go on sale soon; check Actorsfund.org for updates.

1. Tahoe Mike says:

I hope someone films this.

2. Victoria says:

First of all, who do you have to pay to get this filmed? Because it needs to be. I want to see this so badly. Second of all… Megan Hilty is playing Marilyn, right? I am made somewhat wary by the fact that Katherine McPhee is involved at all.

• dude says:

Nothing wrong with Katharine. Judging by the fact Megan Hilty was announced prior to these actors, I’d say that she is likely playing Marilyn.

• TG says:

Perhaps Kat McPhee plays Norma Jean? I always thought that would be great – Kat’s Norma Jean transitioning into Megan’s Marilyn. Perhaps that is how the show would have progressed if TPTB didn’t fire the creator of the show after season 1?

3. MattySi says:

I don’t get it, who are Katharine, Anjelica, and Debra going to play?

• Kimberly says:

I’m guessing Karharine duets with Megan on Let Me Be Your Star as that song kicked off as a duet. Megan and Katharine also shared lead on “Smash,” and Katharine was one of the extra voices in “Let’s Be Bad” with Megan on lead. Also, Megan never really did either “Public Relations” or “Cut, Print, Moving On” so I can see Katharine kind of “owning” those. Although I would love to have Megan do them so I could have a Megan only version of Bombshell ie a real cast album. Debra sang along with Megan on “Never Met a Wolf.” I have honestly no idea what Angelica will be doin.

4. dan says:

Christian Borle, where are you?

5. Bonesfan47 says:

please tell me that Will Chase will also be there!!!!! I want to see this so badly and it is literally a week after my birthday so I really have to see this!!!!

6. poodleshark says:

Fathom needs to broadcast this “one night only” in movie theaters. I would buy a ticket. It would raise even more money for the Fund.

7. KM says:

Yay, Katharine said she will be there! She is amazing live & hope I can get tickets just to see her again! Hope Katharine & Jack Davenport share a song or dance = great chemistry! Kat dance moves were ah-mazing! Megan can’t dance!

• Tracy says:

I know! The chemistry between Karen and Derek was off the charts and Kat’s dancing is so much better than Megan’s! Megan can sing but she cannot dance!

8. quang says:

A lot of people seem to be assuming that this will be an actual musical, when it is more than likely just a one-off concert, with all the actors simply singing the same songs as they did on the show, like Mcphee with 20th Century Fox Mumbo, Hilty with Let’s be Bad, Messing with The Right Regrets, and so on. Messing and Huston won’t really be playing particular character because no book was ever written. And if they really were preparing this as an actual Broadway show, they’ll have to cut out a lot of the Marilyn songs because the songwriters themselves said that no actress could perform that many solos per show.

• delfiteblu says:

Since the majority of us don’t live in NYC and have ZERO chance of seeing it, you don’t have to work quite so hard to bust our bubble. Let us be happy for a little while, at least.

• Annie says:

You do know they already did a staged reading/sing-through of “Hit List,” which *also* “had no book written” right?

• quang says:

The Hit List was also mostly just a concert with Andy (aka Kyle Bishop) reading the plot descriptions in between songs. Also, showrunner Joshua Safran actually wrote out the story outline for The Hit List beforehand, while in the case with Bombshell, song were written around specific episode themes. The producers said several times that Smash is the real musical, not Bombshell.

• HAP says:

Absolutely agree. With at least 22 songs being sung, there would be little time for much scripted dialogue.

9. delfiteblu says:

I’d give the earth to see this, even if it IS just a concert. I loved the music from the show and to see them perform it again would be amazing. Somebody has to see some DVD worthiness in this……..NBC??????

10. Carol C says:

This should be awesome. Oh, to be in NYC!

11. Spamalot says:

Hell, I didn’t care that much about Smash (after the first half of the first season), but even so I’d love to see this just for the spectacle factor. Really hope they film this and release it Online or Hulu.

12. Kelly Deeny says:

Yes, yes, yes!! Katharine and Megan together, LIVE, singing “Bombshell” songs. I’m very interested to see how they divvy up the songs between the two gifted songstresses, though I hope Kat sings “Don’t Forget Me”. Her rendition gave me chills at the end of season 1.

13. Tracy says:

Loved Katherine McPhee as Marilyn and still can’t figure out why the horrible Josh Safran favored Ivy so much more than Karen is S2! Derek and Karen belonged together! The show also didn’t need all the guest stars in S2! Such a shame – NBC should have fired Safran and saved SMASH!

14. Tracy says:

There are some good writers trying to keep SMASH alive on Fanfiction.com! Just Google it and be sure to leave reviews…some of the stories have been languishing because people don’t know to come and read them or they don’t leave reviews in appreciation! Please read and review!

15. Bark Star says:

And when will there be a live performance of “The Hit List” ?

16. Miffy says:

What a joke – as if anyone outside of a few fringe geeks is clamoring for this.

17. marion says: