Report: Rosie Perez to Exit The View

The View Season 18

Another year, another View host looking for a new gig.

Rosie Perez (White Men Can’t Jump), who had taken off the month of January to rehearse a Broadway play, won’t return to the daytime chatfest, our sister site Variety reports.

Perez joined The View in September as part of a reboot that added political commentator Nicolle Wallace to the show’s central table and reinstated Rosie O’Donnell as a host.

With The View‘s ratings down since the new host panel debuted, Variety hints, more changes can be expected at the ABC talk show.

Perez will next appear in Larry David’s play Fish in the Dark.

In a statement, a View rep tells TVLine, “Rosie Perez is currently in rehearsal for her Broadway play for the month of January. Her status with the show has not changed.”

1. Eric says:

Well that was fast.

2. ladyluck527 says:

Give either Naya or Mario her seat

• Shaz says:

Naya came out of nowhere, she really impressed me, I never would have pegged her as someone who could succeed as a person at the table, but she’s really good. She’s young, which the panel needed, she’s latina, which makes her more of an asset. I think she’s perfect, but is it something she’d want to do long term? I love Whoopi, and Nicole, I just wish it was Rosie O who had quit! lol

3. Crys says:

:-( I’m gonna miss her! She is REAL!!!! You could always tell when she is a fan if someone and her real, raw opinions. Oh well…On to greener pastures Miss Rosie P!!!!!

4. Tim says:

Can she really not read from a TelePrompTer?

• TV Gord says:

If that’s grounds for dismissal, Whoopi wouldn’t have lasted one season! She’s atrocious at it! She admits it herself!

5. SB says:

I think it’s gonna be Naya Rivera or Mario Cantone filling that spot. They have been on a lot recently. Mario has done it for years and is most comfortable, but Naya has done a lot better, even creating some buzz for some silly stuff she says. And you know the View, they do love their buzz, positive or negative.

• Tess says:

I’d put both Naya and Mario on the panel permanently. Honestly, the show has been more enjoyable since the new year started and Rosie P and Whoopi haven’t been there. Usually a rotating panel where there are more guest co-hosts than regular co-hosts bugs me, but I’ve found the show to be much better the last two weeks than it was going into the holiday break.

6. Mel says:

Next to go – either Rosie or Whoopi.

• karen says:

Whoopie must NEVER go!! I’m kinda glad that Rosie P. is out. Her voice made my hair hurt!

• Temperance says:

Honestly, that’s why I’ve actively avoided ever having that show on in my house.

• Cassie says:

Actually, I think Whoopie NEEDS to go. She always thinks her opinion is the only one that counts and I usually disagree with her. IMO, the show has been much more enjoyable since she has been gone the past several days.

• Kim R says:

I have to agree. This week has been so enjoyable with the guest hosts, everyone getting a chance to talk and no one pontificating for 4 minutes and then throwing to commercial. I’m liking Mario in the mix as well. I hope Whoopi’s back heals quickly for her but I don’t watch a lot when she is sitting at the table. She is pretty much a bully, which I was surprised by truthfully.

• Amarie says:

Interesting, because while Whoopi states her opinion, Rosie O uses the “as a woman” mantra to shame her co-hosts into siding with her. She also looks like she’s about to disembowel whoever is talking and she disagrees with. I might not care for everything Whoopi has to say, but at least she is not threatening or forcing her opinions down anyone’s throats like that neanderthal Rosie O.

• TV Gord says:

If you have that high an opinion of Whoopi, you’d think you’d learn to spell her name properly.

7. GuessWhat says:

LOLOL — best line ever: The actress’ exit reportedly is attributed to, among other things, her inability to read convincingly from a TelePrompTer.

8. PJ says:

Rumors are saying that The View might be replaced by extended GMA like the Today Show.

9. Tran says:

When will The View EVER going to end? The execs at ABC Daytime doesn’t know when to take risks.

10. ... says:

You’d think that Teleprompter proficiency would be something that ABC would have tested before hiring people for The View. I like Rosie Perez as an actress, but as a commentator, all she talked about was Brooklyn and boxing. No big loss for The View.

11. Tom says:

I’m going to miss her. She was really great and brought a great energy to the show.

12. MattySi says:

She was great on the show but caused some drama too. I don’t want Naya to take her seat. Mario is ok though.

13. Brandy says:

Whoa. She shouldn’t have been fired in the first place though. Please get someone more interesting!

14. Nana3 says:

I am sure in the next couple weeks the shake up will be over for the time being and they will let us know about Rosie P not returning and who will be a permanent replacement until the season is over. I heard Whoppi has another gig but not sure she is going to leave and Rosie O is doing good keeping the the viewers watching. Mario has been doing well. We will see in due time what happens.

15. Alichat says:

Inability to read convincingly from a teleprompter? That is the most absurd reason to get rid of someone. Isn’t this supposed to be a show about women sharing their views on current events? Is reading a Teleprompter really that big of a deal?? LOL!

16. James says:

They need a bigger name I think….idk but Nicolle Wallace is god awful.

• Tess says:

I actually like Nicolle and I didn’t think I would. She’s really grown on me. Plus, if they bring Mario Cantone in as a regular – her reactions to him are priceless. Plus, with the country headed into another presidential election news cycle, the show will get more into those regular political debates and she’s good with the debate without getting shouty or preachy and generally manages to back her positions with facts unlike previous similarly political-minded folks who have been on their panel in the past. I don’t see Nicolle going anywhere any time soon.

• Kim R says:

I really like Nicole as well and wasn’t expecting to. I watched Game Change after hearing her talk about it just to see what she went through during that time. She is a smart, tough woman and I think she brings a lot to the table.

• TV Gord says:

These days, she’s the only reason that I look forward to watching (and I’m a lifelong Rosie O’Donnell fan)!

17. Robby Horine says:

The View is way past it’s expiration date. Cancel this dog now.

18. TV Gord says:

I don’t buy this SPECULATION, which is all it really is. When I first heard that she was off until next month, I thought we’d start seeing these stories right away. I kind of admire Variety’s restraint in waiting a week or two! ;-)

19. Amber says:

Ha! I’m sorry but firing her for not being able to read from a TelePrompTer made me laugh super hard. When are they going to cancel this horrible show?

20. 'A' Has Spoken says:

Since Rosie P. is gone, I’d like either Naya Rivera or Mario Cantone to join. Or, how about both? Make it a 5 person panel since Rosie O., Whoopi, and Nicolle are still there. Mario has done it several times over the years while Naya has been on a lot lately (also said to be hosting again sometime this week and next) and has caused some chatter haha. I love both of them and would definitely watch! Plus, Naya has just finish wrapping up the character Santana on Glee so she is definitely free now. :D

21. Nana3 says:

Just in…………..Rosie O just announced the rumor of Rosie P isn’t true and is coming back. I guess with her doing the play someone was looking to start rumors. Rosie wouldn’t announce something true if it is indeed false.

• Miffy says:

>>Rosie wouldn’t announce something true if it is indeed false.<<

. What in the world are you talking about? Rosie O announced that the 9/11 attacks were an inside job.

22. Grey says:

I think maybe the show has just runs it’s course and needs to end.

23. rhughsirius says:

Too many marbles fell out of her mouth. She’s not the first such casualty and likely won’t be the last.

24. Bobby says:

If I had to pick between Rosie O and Whoopi, I’d say Whoopi has to go. She has been super defensive this season and honestly, as opinionated as Rosie O is, she’s REALLY good at hosting and making everyone comfortable.

I do love Whoopi Goldberg though and hope when she comes back she’ll lighten up a bit.

Oh, Rosie P. has been awesome and I’ve grown to love her. And I agree, Mario Cantone would be a perfect addition.

• Elle3 says:

I hope Rosie P does come back. It was nice to have a fresh non-super aggressive and loud opinion. Mario C. is too loud and never really addresses the issue. He just makes what to him seems to be a funny (not) ‘quip’ or remark. Rosie O. is like a bull sitting there being super-sized in her opinion. Whoopi is an informed and stable voice. Her being the anchor makes the show flow smoothly. You have to have someone that can segue into the commercial breaks smoothly. Nicole Wallace is boring, but she is a likeable alternative (slightly) commentator break from that other blond co-host who I won’t mention by name. Sorry to hear about Bill G. He was a nice fixture in the back of the house.