Pretty Little Liars Recap: Burning Love

Pretty Little Liars Recap

Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars brought an old saying to mind: “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kiln in which you’re trying to melt a murder weapon that could be used to put you in jail.”

OK, that might not be the exact saying, but it’s certainly applicable to Caleb’s situation this week after he and Spencer disposed of a knife that Officer Toby found in Mona’s backyard.

Unsurprisingly, Rosewood’s finest rookie wasn’t thrilled that his girlfriend and best friend acted behind his back, resulting in a massive fight that ended with Spencer standing alone. On the streets. In tears. (Break our Spoby-shipping hearts, why don’t ya, ABC Family?)

Meanwhile in Rosewood…

A MONTGOMERY MELTDOWN | It’s a good thing no one told Aria about the knife Toby found because, after being rejected from every college she applied to, there’s a pretty good chance she’d use it on herself. In fact, her mind has become so warped by stress that she actually wrote an essay to one of a college admissions office — run by Ezra’s ex-girlfriend Jackie, naturally — explaining how much she regretted getting involved with an older man, as it robbed her of so many opportunities. Jackie promised Aria that she wouldn’t share the letter with Ezra, but come on, since when did we start trusting Jackie? Then again, she might not be the real threat; that new chef Ezra hired seems like she knows her way around more than just a kitchen.

Pretty Little Liars Recap#JASHLEY?! | Speaking of unusual couples, am I the only person who had to fight the urge to stand up and cheer with Jason started kissing Hanna’s mom? Sure, it came out of absolutely nowhere, but that’s just the kind of crazy shake-up PLL does so well. Hanna coming home early from her college weekend, only to see Jason buttoning up his shirt on his way downstairs, was merely the icing on this already delicious cake. Any guesses as to what Hanna — and “A,” for that matter — is going to do with this information?

THE IN(SIDE) CROWD | We were also given a peek into Alison’s life behind bars, which is basically a weird combination of Orange Is the New Black and Legally Blonde. Ali pleaded with Toby to help get her out by having him recall his own stint in juvie, but her plan backfired when he remembered that she was the one who helped put him there. (Oh, Alison, you’re really not as smart as you think you are.)

So… Who do you think is helping Alison from the outside? What’s your take on the Ashley-Jason hookup? And how long will it take for Jackie — or “A” — to share Aria’s letter with Ezra? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Riana says:

No I was screaming No when they kissed. Seeing Aria with Ezra is bad enough for Jaria shippers.

2. lauri5567 says:

About the time Ashley offered Jason a meal, I knew they were going to sleep together. So wrong, but it makes sense.
    Loved when Hanna told the girls that Holbrook was a bad kisser, though the creepy trailer park was kinda dumb.
    Emily, cheer up – you can do better.
    Toby telling Alison that he remembers her putting him jail was pretty awesome. The whole knife thing wasn’t.
    And Aria, if she thought that letter would help her get into a college, maybe she didn’t get in because of her lack of intelligence.

3. alonia says:

HATED the Ashley Jason hookup i have wanted to see him with Aria forever tonight was just weird and disturbing….Ashley has a man And all can see Ezra will be on talia and break Aria AGAIN give her a MAN that loves her Jason was smitten bring that back !!! Dont trust Ali And really dont frame another pll cast member (the girls) with murder again….unless its Ali

4. Azerty says:

I really think that A mess up with the college applications by giving everything to Hannah and nothing to Aria just to turn them against each other. And after 5 seasons it become more and more stupid that when they team up like Spencer and Caleb there is always something that drive them apart and then something bad happens. When are they going to learn they should stick together / not go in the forest or creepy places at night? (Hannah I am looking at you…)

5. dan says:

Loved seeing Allison in jail. When she was on the phone I kept expecting Crazy Eyes from OITNB to show up behind her (would’ve been a great cameo to have Uzo walk by in the background). I knew that Allison’s brother (I can’t keep his name straight between this show and Devious Maids) would hook up with the mother who used to live on Melrose Place!

6. Melissa Johnson says:

I am sorry but this episode just kind of annoyed me because everybody was making SUCH bad decisions! Ashley should not be getting involved with Jason. Isn’t she still dating Past Ted?
    Aria trusting Jackie was a huge mistake and writing that letter also. When Ezra finds out- and we know he will either through Jackie or ‘A’- that just might be the end of them.
    Then of course there is Spencer and Caleb and the knife. Toby has to be the worst policeman ever for not turning it in when he found it. I guess it just would have been too easy for them to turn it over the police- this is Rosewood after all.
    I felt really bad for Emily but I don’t understand why she is so stressed about getting money to go see Paige when Paige won’t even return her e-mails.

7. Jafrin says:

I’m a huge jaria shipper. I was disgusted and just ew!

8. crystal says:

To be honest, Toby annoyed me more than anyone in this episode. Wasn’t the whole point of him joining the police was to help the liars? And now he’s playing good cop, bad cop. And Ezra really has no right to get angry at Aria for writing that to get into college. Wasn’t he the one who stalked, seduced a bunch of teenage girls to WRITE A BOOK? I’m just saying, he has no room to talk. I hate the guy and I hope they (the writers) do something about this relationship
    Ashley and Jason: Really? I was so disappointed.
    And I can bet that Emily will end hooking up with the hot chef by the end of this season. I think TPTB finally realized that it was Emily’s turn to have an inappropriate relationship with an older person.
    And I missed Alison this episode even though I deeply dislike her character. She was the only person who said anything sensible this episode. I swear that the liars and their SOs are getting dumber and dumber.