Ratings: State of Affairs Drops, Castle Steady Versus ESPN's Record-Setting College Football Championship

College Football Championship Ratings Record

ESPN’s broadcast of the inaugural College Football Playoffs National Championship (“O-H-I-O!”) set a network record with 33.4 million total viewers — trumping the New Year’s Eve bowl games, which each drew north of 28 million.

Versus last year’s BCS National Championship, the CFPNC (which really needs a catchier/sexier name at some point e.g “Super College Bowl Extreme”) was up 26 percent.

Opposite football, ABC’s The Bachelor drew 6.4 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, down 18 and 23 percent from its bloated three-hour premiere (to a demo low). Castle returned to 6.8 mil/1.4, dipping 7 percent in audience but steady in the demo; TVLine readers gave the episode an average grade of “A-.”

Over on NBC, The Celebrity Apprentice (5.8 mil/1.7) slipped 10 and 15 percent, while State of Affairs (3.6 mil/0.8) dropped 20 percent to new series lows.

CBS’ only original, Mike & Molly (9.2 mil/2.1), was down a tenth yet led broadcast in the demo; a Big Bang rerun drew broadcast’s largest audience (with 10 million viewers).

1. Tran says:

State of Affairs continues to be the bearer of “bad news”.

2. Luiza says:

State of Affairs is so terrible that I’m actually kinda surprised that they even have 3,6 mil viewers. Seriously.

3. Lore says:

It was an awesome game #GoBucks

4. SPAMMER says:

[SPAM DELETED]

5. will says:

I watch State of Affairs. I honestly don’t get the Heigl hate, but to each its own. The show itself has gotten much better. It’s too bad it’s getting low ratings. Possibly switching it to a different time slot?

• Tran says:

Wonder if The Blacklist is doing to do better when the series moves to Thursdays after its post Super Bowl episode and if it doesn’t perform well at all, then move back to Mondays next season if Blacklist gets renewed.

• Carla Krae says:

Yeah, Celebrity Apprentice is not exactly the best lead-in. It *is* a good show, and relevant.

6. Rick Katze says:

Surprised that ABC had a new Castle yesterday with sister network, ESPN, showing what was expected and turned out to be accurate, a monster rating.

7. Leigh says:

For Castle, that’s better than I thought it would be. It was a great episode.

• Tran says:

There’s one of two ways ABC should do about Castle: staying put on Mondays or move it to Tuesdays @ 10 next season if the show gets renewed.

8. Boiler says:

Nice to see Castle hang in against football. Sort of surprised they showed an original ep.

9. lynn says:

it must be difficult for programmers to get the time right! very surprised ABC put the new Castle episode on opposite what they knew would be a monster game! However, it did very well considering that. Great episode to come back with! I hope most people set their dvr’s. Otherwise they missed a fun episode!

10. kmw says:

I know that Castle was going up against football and it probably will get viewers back next week, but the drop in viewers was steeper than I thought it would be. it will most likely get higher with DVR numbers plus most everyone thought it was a good episode. The football game probably did what was expected. Even on CBS their reruns do better than some first run shows. As for State of Affairs? This show is done. ( I know demo numbers are more important, so really if you think about Castle they did better than expected and very good that actual viewers went up from the Bachelor)

11. Abby says:

Someone REALLY needs to properly advise Heigl on a career comeback, since this show is clearly not going to be that for her. I know the ONLY reason she got this show, which will fail, is because she and her mother exec produce it. Heigl needs to be willing to slog it out for some time in supporting roles, much like her mainstream break as Izzy, where she behaves behind the scenes and doesn’t do print interviews where her words can be misinterpreted (and its her, so they usually are). Failure to adopt that game plan will prevent her from ever having true success in front of the camera again, because she willfully burned WAY too many bridges when she was on top of the world.

• Carla Krae says:

Wrong. She was originally only going to produce when initially picking up the project. It was a while into development before she ended up starring in it. Enough with the hate already….

12. Patty says:

Enjoyed last night’s episode of CASTLE and happy to learn of its “steady” ratings. Perhaps the program wasn’t as strong as it could have been, ratings-wise, last because of CBS scheduling SCORPION in the 10:00PM time-slot, opposite CASTLE.

• jinx2014 says:

Here in Sacramento, Scorpion is on at 9 pm and Castle at 10 pm. I get to watch both. In Sacramento CBS starts at 7 pm so I still get to watch all my programs. Castle was awesome. Major Crimes was 2 hours and it was good. Wasn’t able to see Mike and Molly (could have DVR’d) but the last ep were not funny.

• Patty says:

jinx2014 – Since newbie SCORPION started, it’s time-slot, here in New York City, was @9:00PM, last night it was broadcast in the NCISLA time-slot. Hope SCORPION returns to 9:00PM.

13. drhenning says:

Castle was DVR’d by me and watched after the Pick 6.. Stayed up and also caught the terrific 2 hour season finale of Major Crimes… It looks like Billy Burke will have more work on that show!! It’s a pretty amazing how a character that was a big part of The Closer has been maintained by Major Crimes.. I can’t really think of another villain that has played such a major part of a show and its sequel…

14. Carla Krae says:

State of Affairs is a good show! And gains around 3 million viewers when DVR numbers come in. I record it when Castle is on and watch it later that night before going to bed. I wish I had a Nielsen box…..then things I like might be fairly represented!

15. Valerie T says:

Major Crimes 2 hr finale was EXCELLENT! I was on the edge of my seat.