Reality Check: How Old Is Too Old for Idol? (We Debate J.Lo's Icky Answer!) Plus: Savion and Sarina's Comebacks!

There’s optimism in the air surrounding Season 14 of American Idol — and mainly because two of the most egregious, pre-voting-round evictees from last year’s ho-hum installment are back and more brilliant than ever (or at least as brilliant as before).

Yep, on this week’s season premiere of Reality Check, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I celebrate the Golden Tickets earned by Sarina Joi Crowe and Savion Wright, though one of us is not buying into the “my, how much he’s improved in the last 12 months!” arc being foisted on the latter vocalist.

Melinda and I also dish our other Week 1 faves, ponder whether or not the Randy Jackson barnacle has been fully removed from the U.S.S. Carrie Underwood, and take on Jennifer Lopez’s side-eye-inducing remark about how 25-year-old female contestants present as more “beaten-down” than their teenage counterparts. Ms. Doolittle even weighs in with some pointed commentary on J.Lo’s “Booty” video — but she’ll have you know her remarks came out sounding meaner than she intended!

Press PLAY for the Reality Check season premiere, then hit the comments with your thoughts! And stay with us every week from now through May for all our observations on Idol and The Voice!

1. Ginger Snap says:

Where’s the play button

2. Kate says:

I might have just squeaked a little bit. Welcome back, dear old friend. (But PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, go back to Idology and drop The Voice. 10 minutes is already too short.)

• S. says:

Oh me too. Me so much. I checked the video time, and less than a minute had gone by before squeaking occurred. So much ‘oh no he/she di’n’t!’ squeaking going on here. I appreciated the comments about JLo’s beat down remark, and at the same time I remember what Elise Testone said about her situation as an older and more experienced Idol contestant vs. the 16 yos coming on the show. While I felt she was right about having earned it and put in the time or whatever, a lot of people turned on her for complaining and having supposedly a bad attitude. You can seem weary about all the rejection and bars you’ve played in, I guess, and the frustration of seeing someone 10 years younger jumping up trying to grab the brass ring without doing what you did must be pretty significant. I don’t blame’em. I get what JLo maybe means, but I don’t blame the singers for putting in over a decade trying to make it and not feeling as fresh after all they’ve put in at gigs. I kinda respect them more.

• Denise says:

We need them both but separate them. Double the greatness!

3. Kate says:

(Jason Averett continues to be my spirit animal)

• The Beach says:

He’s just the BEST.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes, Great job Jason!
      Melinda hit all my favorites – Savion, Cody, and Piper. Plus, the WGWG and the really blue eyes that Harry didn’t put through. I loved him!

• deedee says:

Hi DET and everyone!

I just wrote a longish post but it disappeared. Won’t bother rewriting (wasn’t that important!).

Tonight will be my first episode of the season, so need to catch up. Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to Michael & Melinda for Reality Check! It really got me in Idoloonie mode! Last year I lost interest, and this year I didn’t even remember to check when the season was starting! Totally unacceptable.

See you all after the show!

4. Timmah says:

Outstanding as always.

5. Lerbert says:

Lock them doors! Reality Check is back! So happy to see Melinda and Michael for another season.

6. Ginger Snap says:

Another season of watching JLo act like a silly little girl

I’ll pass

7. LeahKittyS says:

Totally agree about Savion and Sarina. Best of the week by a long-shot. Though I also enjoyed Clark and Michael. I hope they can maintain the show they’re giving us. We’ll have to wait and see. Also, “Doctor Who” “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Stardust?” You reminded me why I love you guys so much. Welcome back!

8. LADY_in_MD says:

Yay you guys are back woohoo!

9. Babybop says:

I’ve missed these!!

10. Cristina says:

I laughed so hard I cried. I want American Idol to continue forever just to keep these videos coming.

11. analythinker says:

11 minutes on my paper feels like eternity and it’s still blank. 11 minutes watching this feels like a fresh breeze. I can listen to you guys agreeing or arguing about everything all day, but you two have lives :D

12. Lloyd says:

I’ll probably watch this more than once. :D

13. JMay says:

Micheal, looking good with the grey! It HAS been 14 years…

14. Mika02 says:

I missed you guys

15. jalahyacinth says:

Dr, Who, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Stardust? I. Missed. This. Welcome back! (And no breaks allowed this season, Jason ;))

16. lizo says:

I don’t watch American Idol, but I love Reality Check. You and Melinda are a hoot to watch – and really, you show the stuff worth seeing on the show without me having to watch it.

17. Eurydice says:

First, yay! Love the video! But now (squeaky noise) you’re making me defend JLo…a little…just a little. She didn’t say younger was better, she said that there’s a fearlessness to the younger contestants -and I can see how that’s true. The younger contestants haven’t faced as much criticism and rejection – in fact, they’ve probably been told by friends and family that they’re fabulous and wonderful. Older contestants have gotten kicked around – whether that shows up positively or negatively is up to them. I also think Melinda was right about the editing. Clearly, JLo’s soundbite was engineered to be an intro to Jess saying that, at 28, she was feeling jaded.

18. Lourdes says:

Yay! RealityCheck…appointment viewing for my Idol season!

19. Jason says:

It’s back! It’s back! It’s been too long!

20. Parksy says:

My favorite team just won the national championship…and I think I had a more joyous overall reaction by seeing that Reality Check is back! So happy!

21. Jase says:

Realty Check is FAR more entertaining than American Idol.

22. HannaB says:

In her defense, I believe Harry said “beaten down” first, and J-Lo immediately repeated it.

23. Yay! It’s back. Love me some Reality Check! Wish it was longer though. I love listening to other people talk/argue/dish about American Idol and the Voice.

24. CRAP I love Melinda’s laugh! LOL

25. Stanislava says:

I LOVE YOU,GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Who-hoo!! Welcome BACK! I LOVE THIS SHOW! You guys are hilarious! Keep it up!!!

27. Tracy Thomas says:

I LOVE Reality Check! I can never wait for it to come out once the show is over! Keep it up – you guys are a complete crack up!

28. CTZ says:

One of the best parts of the Idol season is Reality Check!

29. CTZ says:

Chris Sligh — that was a hilarious comment!

30. Runner says:

I love y’all soooooo much. Thank you Melinda for reading JLo. I can’t bear to watch the show, but I look forward to this. “You probably don’t have to mature much past 16 to sing a song like Booty.” LOL. Indeed. #shadethrownaccurately

31. Catmac says:

Better than last year – but perhaps that’s because the show is to!! Producers have totally stepped up their game — glad to have you guys back

32. mick says:

Another fun video. Glad to see you both back even though I don’t watch AI anymore. But oh crap, I could have lived without ever seeing that “booty” thing(Shudder!)

33. So glad you guys are back. This is the best part of Idol season! Of course, what do I know? I’m WAY over 25! :)

34. Michael and Melinda, you are the best!!! What a great 1st episode of Reality Check. That Chris Sligh comment was gold, pure gold!

So happy Realiy Check is back (hooray for Jason too)!

35. Esther says:

Best part about Idol season and one of the main reasons why I’ll always be looking forward to this stupid show (that being Idol, of course). Woohoo Reality Check!!

36. J says:

Reality Check – the only reason to watch Idol 14.

37. Kat says:

And here I was at 25 thinking I still have a few good years left in me. Could someone please recommend a good nursing home?

38. marygrace says:

Excited for new season of Idol and Reality Check. Great start for both!

39. joey says:

When the live shows begin if Idol introduces the singers first and the judges second, then I’ll know that Idol will suck once again. I won’t be watching, so please let me know if they introduce the singers first and the judges second. That’s a symbol that says it all. They need to make the singers the focus of the show.

40. TrP says:

Seriously – Reality Check (and following Michael and Melinda on twitter during the broadcast) are a big part of what keeps bringing me back to Idol every year (well… that and the hope of the next David Cook!)

41. Carol says:

Love, Love, Love Reality Check!!!

42. Dihydrogen Oxide says:

Clark’s version of Man’s World was better than Screamer Ledet’s.