Revenge Recap: Relative Insanity

Revenge Recap

Jack Porter: Good father, great eye candy, terrible policeman.

The Hamptons’ second pluckiest rookie — Ben is obviously No. 1 — thought he was saving the day on Sunday’s Revenge, anonymously submitting the flash drive containing Malcolm Black’s criminal exploits to the police, but it turns out he only made things worse. Much worse.

Malcolm was released due to “lack of evidence,” which further fueled his rage — rage that he then directed towards Emily, whom he now knows to be Amanda Clarke. Two tranquilizer shots brought Em and Victoria to their knees, while a menacing Malcolm stood over them. (“Night night” has never sounded so terrifying.)

Elsewhere in the Hamptons…

SOUTHERN DISCOMFORT | Another member of the Ellis clan paid a visit to the Hamptons this week, but unlike Louise’s previous visions of the phenomenal Carolyn Hennesy, this relative wasn’t a figment of her imagination. Her older brother Lyman (Ascension‘s Sebastian Pigott) appeared very much in the flesh, and like any good addition to Revenge, he came baring threats — specifically ones about exposing Louise’s “obsessive tendencies” and well-covered brushes with the law. The evening began smoothly — Louise even passed Emily’s initial crazy test — but all hell broke loose when Lyman started talking about his late father. Louise’s delusions flared up, including a more-than-welcome appearance by Hennesy, and led to her slapping a baby bird Nolan in the face.

ELENA SATINE, SEBASTIAN PIGOTTBut know this: It turns out the Ellises have been drugging Louise for years in order to control her portion of the family inheritance, and Nolan was more than happy to oust Lyman as punishment for his shenanigans. Something tells me we haven’t seen the last of him, though I will humbly admit I was wrong about him being Nolan’s next boyfriend. (That ship sunk at the docks before it even got a chance to sail.)

BABY MAMA ON A MISSION | Speaking of untrustworthy family members, Margaux remains hellbent on finding a crack in Victoria’s story about Daniel attacking Emily before his death. But just as Revenge showrunner Sunil Nayar teased to TVLine last month, Miz LeMarchal quickly discovered that her rage and determination weren’t exactly conducive to a healthy pregnancy. “You need to distress,” the doctor told her, as if that’s something anyone on this show can afford to do. In an attempt to ease her troubled, pregnant mind, Victoria told Margaux everything — including Emily’s true identity — completely unaware that Officer Ben was eavesdropping on their conversation.

So… How do we think Ben and Margaux are going to use their newfound knowledge? And what’s to become of Emily and Victoria now that Malcolm has them in his clutches? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

1. Sutton says:

This show is now unwatchable. I mean, goddamn!

• Andy Swift says:

I feel like it’s finally settled into what it’s always intended to be — a crazy soap!

• Ben says:

Still better than anything in season 2 and the first part of season 3 until Mike Kelley bolted. He obviously wanted this show to be some over complicated thing when it needs to be treated like the primetime soap it is.

• ... says:

This show is Count of Monte Cristo with more fancy parties, so let’s not get all revisionist with our history, dear.

• blakecolby1 says:

They should have kept Conrad alive and trying to weasel his way out of jail, pulling all the strings he could possibly come up with, while Emily is taking down one by one all his “friends” who are trying to help him.

Meanwhile Victoria & the rest of the Graysons (including perhaps Conrad’s father, played by William Devane in season 1) scramble to save their own skin, before Emily completely destroys their empire in the series finale.

That should have been the final season of Revenge, a natural conclusion to the central revenge story of the past 3 years.

Instead the Graysons are dead or gone, Victoria is defeated and no longer a fun villain, and there’s a new 11-th hour super-villain we’re supposed to care about.

The show has completely jumped off tracks.

2. nikki says:

It’s a good thing Barry Sloane, Henry Czerny and Josh Bowman left. Maybe they can get roles in good TV shows. Revenge is terrible now.

• Susan says:

Revenge is addicting TV. I personally don’t get the complaints from people who are clearly watching the show (thanks ) week after week. It is great drama unlike most of the crap on TV . The actors can really ACT as witnessed by the personal attachments people seem to have to their characters good/and bad. Just watch and enjoy. It ain’t that deep is it???????

3. Ben says:

Fantastic episode. I don’t know where the hate for it is coming from.

We got Victoria exposing Em to Margeaux and with Ben overhearing. We got Emily finding out Victoria was behind Kate coming after her. And some awesome flashbacks that help us understand David a bit better.

I love the idea of Em and Vic abducted together and everything with Louise was great.

I’m loving this season. Campy soap craziness.

• Julie says:

I actually thought it was one of the better eps this season. Nothing like s1, but Better than it has been. But seriously, did anyone NOT see that ending coming? As soon as Emily walked out of that lighthouse, I know they were getting kidnapped. Hell…as soon as the Malcolm Black threat was exposed, I knew that they’d (Emily and Victoria) reluctantly end up working together. It was bound to happen eventually. Revenge is a guilty pleasure for me. Always has been. I wouldn’t be sorry if we got another season.

4. Scott says:

I really don’t think Lyman had any idea that the medication that Louise was taking was making her act like that. It was probably their mother who started it and it just kept happening after she passed on

5. Jennifer says:

I agree with the crazy soap comment and I think Louise’s dad was murdered and they are drugging her to keep her from remembering/telling the truth.

6. Cc says:

Still waiting for an answer ABC. Is the show getting a shortened final season or do we have 10 episodes left and no satisfying resolution come May?

7. Maryann says:

“You need to distress.”
    Seems to me you wrote that down incorrectly. Wouldn’t it make mor sense if he said, “You need to de-stress.” As in have less stress. Sheesh.

8. Jazz says:

I think you meant “de-stress”. Is that right? Because “distress”is the opposite.

9. lorna says:

I loved s3. Not a big fan of this season, but I remain loyal until it ends. Malcolm has nuce cars. I would like to see him scary, cause boy, Conrad was a lot more menacing, imo.

10. Netty says:

Honestly how have we come to a point were “Loony Louise” ‘s arc is front and center of an episode. If this will bring about a love arc for Nolan with Louise’s brother then maybe other than that Louise is painful to watch.
    Everyone is insufferable on this show except for Emily and Nolan!

11. evo says:

So, just how did Malcolm know that Emily is really Amanda Clark ? Probably not from Victoria so that leaves Ben and Miss Fifi the French poodle.

• Alichat says:

Perhaps he’s known all along and was only going to use his trump card after David became aware. Killing Emily is not a threat to David unless he knows she is Amanda.

• Tamara says:

That would be interesting if Ben told him. However , like all good sudsers, I think he just happened to be in the right place at the right time and heard Victoria reveal Emily’s true identity.

• johnhelvete says:

I figured he overheard what Victoria said to Emily before they both got shot with tranq darts. They both thought they were alone at the lighthouse, they weren’t exactly having a quiet conversation.

• Granny says:

When Emily accused Victoria of sending Kate after her (at the lighthouse) , Victoria denied it and said, “I never told her you were Amanda Clark”. Malcolm Black overheard the conversation.

12. Tamara says:

I watch this show to be entertained. This episode (and most others before it from this season) served that purpose. I’m loving it, though I have no idea what purpose Margaux and Ben’d knowledge will have. I thought for sure Victoria would team up with Malcolm to take down David and Emily and it would be a slow burn for him going after Emily.

13. 5 of five superstars by 251 users with a MSRP of $34. Mainly because of this uncomplicated simple fact, countless men and women are unable or unwilling to keep their floors clear, just
    due to the fact of vacuum allergic reactions. It will snuff out the
    dirt: The sensors will locate and concentrate on the dirtier areas
    of the room.

14. TC says:

Jack was in the clear with David telling Malcolm that he had his daughter. Malcolm would have thought David killed her. He should have just let David die which is surely what would have happened to him if that meeting with Malcolm would have taken place. Too bad he cared about Emily losing her dumb father. So who told Malcolm Emily was really Amanda? Ben? Will we finally get a reason for his presence? At least it looks like Emily will awaken from her coma next week and kick some butt.

• Em says:

I take if from when David told Jack not to contact him that Malcolm had his phone tracked so then when Emily used it to message Victoria he went there expecting to see David and Victoria but instead overheard Victoria reveal who Emily actually is!!

I am hoping that Ben is normal and gets with Emily soon now that he actually knows who she is!!

• kiwirevengefan says:

I think that is what happened too. He certainly seemed to be expecting Victoria and sounded amazed but happy to discover Emily was actually Amanda. Like he got a two for one bonus!

• Chris says:

Me thinks Ms. LeMarchal might have tweeted something in the form of breaking news from her hospital bed after Victoria’s admission, which may have been Victoria’s twisted plan. Now she, too is in hot water. Dumb for such a savvy queen.

15. adam says:

I always felt like their was something a little off about the Louise being crazy storyline. Sometimes she seemed like she was other times not as much. Now, it makes sense.

16. Matt C. says:

This episode was fantastic! Where is all this hatred coming from? I loved it and I can’t wait to see next week’s.

17. puck says:

So glad I read the recap first, now I don’t have to watch this mess.

• Granny says:

you read the recap because you’re hooked, so stop already, yeah. LOL, just teasing you.

• Melanie says:

Clearly reading the recap of someone unsatisfied with the epi won’t make you wanna watch it. But seriously it was good IMO. But clearly you need to accept its a soap with not much content

18. Sonny FY says:

After David came back, after David knew about Emily’s true identity, after Daniel stupidly died, after David planned to kill Victoria, it seems like the show writers don’t know what to do next. So they changed certain elements of the two first seasons, and now they are turning around wondering how they can finish this mess. Poor show.

19. cass says:

I am enjoying this season, it has been relatively fast paced. I am interested to see what happens with Ben now that he knows Victoria’s version of the truth. SOOOO much better than the majority of season three. I hated that season the most (dumb plot to frame victoria for murder by marrying Daniel, annoying girl Sarah, Daniel being pure evil, Victoria’s creepy incestuous relationship with Patrick, etc)

• cass says:

I should add David back from the dead and Conrad being murdered as two more awful parts of season 3!!!!

• Nosey says:

Agree, I thought seriously framing Victoria. Particularly since she had proof to exonerate her father. I think they did so much in Season 1, ideas for other seasons just took a backseat. Her throwing the laptop with the evidences in the river then continue to get proof of her father’s innocents did not make sense. Letting a story go on is worse than closure, and is bad writing. Good writers could have closed the chapter in Season 1 and had a new plan for Season 2

• Sheila says:

Agree on the “throwing the laptop” thing. When that happened, I quit watching regularly. When I read that Daniel found out about Emily, I did a bit of catching up on recent Daniel/realAmanda. They had fantastic chemistry when he knew she was the real Amanda. I started watching regularly again. I wish that dynamic could have continued… But Daniel is dead now. Oh dammit, Show!! Now, I am back to only tuning in sporadically to check up on Nolan.

20. Azerty says:

Am I the only one thinking that Louise staged the whole thing at the party? It seemed like if she wanted Em and Nolan to find the fake pills only to manipulate Nolan to send her brother away?

• babysteps4health says:

Nice theory, but if that was the case, I don’t think they would have shown her delusion on screen. I do love how the show keeps you guessing!

• cass says:

That is an interesting idea, especially since when she was talking with her brother she said she hadn’t been taking the pills because they don’t help her. Lack of insight is a common and difficult issue with people suffering from mental illness (they don’t see that anything is wrong). So if she hadn’t been taking them, she shouldn’t have been having any of those delusions…

• Nosey says:

Would be good if that were the case.

21. babysteps4health says:

I am a huge fan of the show but even I am getting frustrated with where this show is going. It is missing some HUGE elements that made the show so successful. And in the process have turned our Justifiably devious, incredible and sweet heroine into a bitter girl who desperately needs to move on! I was happy that they showed the 30 seconds of her actually planning to leave the Hamptons and focus on her dad- although we didn’t buy it- it was nice that they acknowledge that her revenge had been played out and it’s just time to move on from the Grayson’s. I have been saying all season that a Victoria- Emily pair up would be interesting, so maybe this new plot will satisfy, but overall this is not the show I signed up for. No real hints of romance, no real need for vengeance- her father is alive. The best revenge they can do now is just be happy.
    I really wish they would do like the Brits shows do and change up main characters every few years. They should of put the Emily story to bed and gave us a new heroine on a new mission, but here in America we like to exploit the heck out of anything that sells until it is unrecognizable. I always say that the very first episode of this series was the best TV I have ever watched, to compare that to last nights episode- it is a shell of its former self. The real fans of the show are begging for a satisfying end to this series- and soon!

22. Delante says:

Man what an episode…I didn’t see that Louise thing coming at all. I honestly thought she was a nutjob! Come to find out she was being drugged…wow! Then, yea Jack how stupid can you be? Kate aka Malcolm Black’s daughter was in the damn FBI for crying out loud!! You don’t think that Malcolm’s has other Feds in his pocket!! Use your brain man!! And then damn Vicky spilling the beans to Margaux while Ben eavesdropped!! Man I can’t wait for next week! I do wonder if Victoria told Margaux about Malcolm Black as well….I guess we shall see!

• kiwirevengefan says:

Yeah, it is funny how this week we don’t have so many of the Jack/Emily shippers going on about how they want those two to have their “happy ending” Ug! Maybe now they are realising just how dumb Jack is. Well meaning yes, but truly DUMB! He would never be a match for Emily, he just doesn’t have the brains to be her equal.

23. Cas says:

Margos hair is horrible!

24. Ella J. Wade says:

Is there anyone in town who doesn’t know that Emily is Amanda Clarke?

25. Lopez says:

I so agree with Sonny

26. Jay82 says:

Ben (Brian Hallisay) is worse in here than in the Client list and that is saying something. What a wooden actor

27. N says:

I love the episode!

28. Phil says:

Is it possible that Conrad is still alive and he used Malcolm Black to keep David Clark in check over all that time.
    Ben may end up saving everyone as unlike Jack and others he is not tainted by taking part in all the earlier drama.
    and yes, Jack is an unbelievable policeman, he was not a good bartender either !

29. Nosey says:

I think this is a totally different show from Season 1. I was excited about this girl coming back to get Revenge for her father. But to find out he was alive this whole time, just really doesn’t have meaning. The more I thought about it though, in all honesty based on the story line you had to bring him back. If writers did not bring him back, then what story would they have. Now the story is more focused on David. I loved her take downs in Season 1 and how she did it. I even liked how she wrestled with herself and question if this was really worth it. Even the ending if Season 1 was awesome. The transition from 1 to 2 could have been better. And I would have loved for Conrad to learn her true identity. Although some disappointment w/ the show, I watch for closure. I just think it is not the same show. I think the plot is entertaining just not in sync w/ the dynamics of the show.

30. Granny says:

hey, anyone know how Malcolm found out that EMS and Victoria were meeting at the lighthouse? I don’t remember what happened there. I know he was released for insufficient evidence but how did he know where the two were meeting? Was he supposed to meet David there and then got there really early?

• babysteps4health says:

They were tapping David’s phone, so when Emily texted Victoria under David’s number they knew where to go and when he got to the lighthouse he was looking for David but then overheard Victoria mention that Emily is Amanda Clarke. The transition wasn’t so smooth and I didn’t catch that detail until I went back and watched it a second time.

31. Sabrina says:

I’m honestly tired of the hate Revenge is getting. If you think that a show as convulted and twisted as Revenge — with a dark concept — can mimic season 1’s tone throughout the entirety of the show’s airing time, leave. If I was watching Revenge and the tone constantly matched season 1’s — I wouldn’t watch. Mike Kelley didn’t bolt by the way, he had plans for rehabbing season three to mimic that season 1 tone — and ABC fired him.

The second thing I don’t understand is the hate Revenge is getting for being a soap opera. I watch a crap ton of soap operas dating all the way back to the 70s, and I can tell you now, they have nothing on Revenge. Yes, sometimes the Revenge writers get so immersed in the drama that the plot is disregarded — but Revenge is truly a mind-blowing, phenomenal, television show that gets absolutely no credit for the difficulties it faces when delving into sensitive waters.

How many TV shows do you think have the balls to acknowledge the fact the U.S. government is corrupt, and the justice system is rigged against anyone who opposes the ideal, traditional American family in it?

How many shows do you think have the balls to take such a contemporary, sensitive topic such as terrorism and revolutionize the perception of millions of viewers every week?

The soap operas nowadays only focus on the romantic aspects of life, and bogus crime overlords, and develop such cheesy and clichéd female protagonists. Emily Thorne is one of the most — if not the most kickass — female protagonists and/or anti-heroes on television right now.

Yes, Emily has gone softer over the years and Revenge is slowly evolving and not delving into the “payback is a dish best served mantra.”

Get off your high horses.

A show cannot be stuck in a season one mindset. Emily has grown as a character — developing sympathies for characters like Ben and Louise. She’s lost Fauxmanda, seen Jack lose Declan, thought she lost her father, lost Aiden and Daniel — in her own damn arms. And you all say that the show’s going to hell because of it?

Get out.

I’m just done with it.

I will watch Revenge until the very end, and I have faith in Sunil and Joe and Sallie and Ted and Karen, as well as the rest of the writers, in how they conclude season four and how they drive forth the series finale (whether it’s season 4 or 5). If you don’t like the show, or like what Revenge is doing because it’s a soap opera — then leave. And take your irrelevant, useless, hateful comments elsewhere.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a phenomenal book, and Revenge as its companion does the book justice and that’s how it’s legacy will end.

Revenge, for me and many other viewers, has been life-changing and has cut deep when discussing influence and impact. It’s an intangible subject — discussing what this show’s done for me, personally, and what it has done to improve my character.

I’m so sick of the Revenge hate, and soap opera hate in general. Let me enjoy the show while it’s still on the air.

Let me have that.

• Cam says:

Can I just say that I completely agree with everything you just said? I still love Revenge and yes, Season 1 was awesome, but you’re right in saying that it’s not something the writers can keep up for 4 seasons. I mean, I loved the weekly takedowns but it’s not something that can be maintained; it would be too easy and simplistic and life is more complicated than that, so really, sticking to the Season 1 tone wouldn’t be realistic.

And while I miss the bits of romance we got to see on the show, I think the relative lack of it (compared to when we had Jack, Daniel and Aiden vying for Em’s attention. Also, I’m not really buying Ben and Emily together right now, but we’ll see.) ties in with the show because Em lost Aiden at the end of Season 3, and now that her dad’s back, that’s the most important thing to her. I agree that Em’s character has developed so much – I mean come on, she basically asked David to leave all of this behind so they could be happy together as a family.

I don’t really get where the hate for this episode is coming from, because for me, I was really excited and anxious watching it. Malcolm Black scares the heck out of me. Plus, I can’t wait to see how Ben reacts to Victoria’s news! Oh and not to mention how Emily and Victoria are gonna get themselves out of this mess.

• DAMN YOU KNOW MY GUTS.
      I think the writing has improved a lot compared to some the storylines we had back in ss3.
      It’s a different show? It changed the executive pruducer and the creator stopped giving a damn about it! ( Mike Kelley left , and he was not fired )
      And i dont get the thing about soap opera. TV shows and soap opera are , on the bottom line , TV. And how come it’s a soap opera if it had been veangence all the time? ( Emily’s , Aiden’s , Margaux’s , David’s , Victoria’s ?)
      The writers put quite a lot in this. I love Revenge and really dont care how long it’s gonna last.

32. Catherine says:

Life is constantly changing. Can you say that you’re the same person as you were 3-4 years ago, doing the same thing, never growing or learning? Of course not! So why is it so surprising that Revenge’s storyline continues to evolve? That said, I love this show: the characters, the gorgeous fashion, Kim Lee Ozawa’s jewelry, the storylines. It is so much more fun to watch than all the cookie cutter cop shows or reality shows on air right now. If you hate Revenge, don’t watch! Seems like the people who take the time to write negative comments and hope the show would end are just mad because they’re addicted. Ha ha! It’s ok, people! Just enjoy it!

• Granny says:

I agree with you entirely. I do love the show and I’m more upset about this may just be the final season of Revenge. True, “you no like, you no watch”. What the heck are you doing here if you just want to complain? I want to listen to good comments and questions and the ideas that might spark the writers to extend this show.

• cass says:

I have been enjoying this season and actually like the new characters been and Louise (that’s a first). But I can understand the people who are complaining. I hated most of season three, but I kept watching because I felt too invested in the characters. I had higher expectations for the show and was upset that it wasn’t living up to them.

33. Deion says:

That is not good information for Ben to have. He is about to be a bigger pain than he usually is.

34. Dan says:

I’m interested in seeing more of Malcolm. I like how the show continues to progress. It’s entertaining as TV should be. To the haters, you need to stop watching and stop complaining! Your comments make you look bad. To the ones who are disappointed b/c the show is not meeting your high expectations, maybe you should create your own show! I don’t always like the decisions or actions these characters make, but their characters are human, which means they’re not perfect and make mistakes. Revenge is a very well-written series that gives their characters real emotions and a lot of depth. This show is so underrated. I really hope for their renewal.

35. Melanie says:

BEST EPISODE TO DATE. Action packed, plot untwisting. Can’t wait to see what’s coming up. Oh, and I am now ready for Emily and Ben ;)

36. ‘We definitely feel fortunate,’ Negaunee coach Mike O’Donnell said.
    Many folks allow themselves to be thrown off course by minor or imaginary threats.
    “Every time climbing, are able to escape death’s shadow, Huazhui, avalanches, altitude sickness, drowning.

37. Jimmie says:

I happily discovered Revenge on NetFlix on New Year’s Eve. Husband had to work out of town and I couldn’t find anything on TV. Feel in love. Characters are great, actors are great, and most of the time the plot is great. Sometimes, yes, it can be a little predictable but overall I find it fun and enjoyable. Got caught up today ( i bought season 4 on Amazon instant video) so now I have to wait to see what happens with Victoria and Emily. And I hope the show gets renewed from the fall season. (I really do think all the actors on that show can really act but I have to say Gabriel Mann is SO GOOD!)