Golden Globes 2015: Best, Worst and Most Emotional Moments

Golden-Globes-Highlights

Tina and Amy were hilarious (as expected). Gina Rodriguez was adorable. And Matthew McConaughey’s Texas accent was… enhanced?

These were just a few of the highlights of the 2015 Golden Globe Awards telecast, and whether you watched every second, slipped into sleepytimes at the halfway point or skipped it altogether, TVLine’s got you covered.

We obsessed over the three-plus hour awards show — with approximately half the wine intake of the average Globes attendee — to look for blatant sexism, startling mispronunciations, bad spray tans, great humor, palpable emotion and so much more. And we’ve condensed it all into 16 unforgettable moments (though unfortunately, none quite as Twitter-shattering as Adele Dazim.)

So click through the gallery below for our take on the 2015 proceedings, then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, what we botched badly and what highlights we missed altogether!

1. AA says:

slide show is not working

2. ab says:

Where was Tina and Amy??? Not enough of them, they were the only reason I was watching.

3. johnhelvete says:

Wow I strongly disagree about Amy Adams. She was prepared because she did not expect to win after winning last year (saw her on the red carpet). However, I thought she gave a pretty good speech that tied into the theme of her film.

4. Uh…Margaret Cho was a HIGHLIGHT for you people? Holy crap. That was the least funny bit I’ve ever seen.

5. Stacie says:

The fact that Tina and Amy went MIA for most of the awards because the recipients went on too long and the fact that during their monologue that pointed out certain people but the camera didn’t pan to them was just a mess of the hosts, especially on their last time hosting. Their monologue was decent. I haven’t seen a lot of the movies that won tonight, so it was kinda boring, but on the TV side I am happy for The Affair for their wins, although the Good Wife losing was a tough blow. I’d give the show a 6 out of 10.

6. johnhelvete says:

What was with the order of the TV awards? Best movie/mini series was presented before best actor in that category. Best comedy was presented before best comedy actor. Best drama was presented before best actress. By the way, all three of the acting winners ended up being from the show after their show won, Billy Bob for Fargo, Tambor for Transparent and Ruth Wilson for The Affair.

7. TV Gord says:

I love, adore and idolize Tina…and I also enjoy Amy…but their monologue could not have been lamer. I guess I should have re-watched Ricky Gervais’ previous monologues, because this one from Tina and Amy seemed way too toothless to me. It set the tone for an overall lackluster night. Thankfully, I switched to The Good Wife at 9 (when it airs here in Canada) and it gave me a break. It took little time to get through what I missed. I’d love it if they could get Ricky Gervais back next year! Maybe the REAL Kim Jong Un. The “edge” was gone from tonight, and that was very disappointing.

8. Rook says:

So you point out Katie Holmes miss pronouncing Matthew Bomer’s name, which I didn’t catch and thought she said it correctly. But not Ricky Gervais saying Quvenzhane Wallis incorrectly…..?

• Nicole says:

and don’t forget the priceless gem of Don Cheadle from House of Cards

• CK says:

That bit bothered me a bit too. I get that Ricky was telling a joke, but he pronouncing someone’s name purposefully in that situation is messed up. He ended up making the moment about himself instead of the nominees as it should have been. Katie Holmes is an easy target and Matt Bomer is pretty, I guess.

• It's Me says:

His name is extremely easy to say. Hers is not. End of story.

• puck says:

You mean all those intelligent privileged highly educated people can’t pronounce Quvenzhane? Or is it Wallis they’re having a problem with? It’s amazing how the privileged ones become defensive when a pronunciation of a name makes them feel vulnerable.

9. Dan says:

Trust me, all men and more than half the women thought Renner’s improvised joke was ok. It would have been ok ten years ago and will be the same ok in ten years. That kind of silly remark never gets old.

• TV Gord says:

It was really just his attempt to pass himself off as straight (since his recent wedding to a woman doesn’t seem to be convincing anyone). ;-)

• jem says:

The way she was popping out, Lopez was asking for that joke. If she’d dressed appropriately, it could not have been made. I’m so tired of other women popping out of their clothes and people getting upset when something is said about it. She made a poor choice!

10. Sutton says:

Margeret Cho was horribly unfunny and awkward. That joke bombed.

11. Lula says:

The golden globes have lost their credibility when it comes to television. The Affair? I absolutely disgusted. I am still not over Tatiana Maslaney’s snub.

• Julie says:

Have you watched The Affair? As someone who is Obsessed with Orphan Black, I’m not sorry about the Affair cleaning up awards. The show is awesome…if you’re Upset because you think it’s glorifying cheating you’re absolutely mistaken. It shows the ugliness of infidelity and what it can do to a person and everyone around them. I honestly didn’t watch and haven’t seen a list of winners but from the he comments, it sounds like At least Ruth Wilson one and, if so, it was absolutely deserved. She is fantastic on the show. Tatiana is As well and I would’ve been happy if she had won too but OB s2 was not as good as s1, in my opinion.

12. schu says:

Surprisingly disagree with most of your takes on the “highlights”. Thought the highlight of Margaret Cho was actually the last thing she said “Now she should make a Bridesmaids 2!”, Laughed out loud at Jeremy Renner’s adlib, if anyone could take such a joke it’s JLo, come on and have a little levity about that. Didn’t actually care for Lily and Jane’s comments, thought we’ve heard it before, what you should have mentioned was Maggie Gyllenhaal, I’m not even a fan of hers and she won me over, an excellent speech. And I really thought it was the night of speeches, probably the most consistently good, well-said, emotionally real ones from everyone, including Amy Adams, she’s endearing and always delightful in my book.

13. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

The schtick with Margaret Cho was humorless and tasteless!

14. Lila says:

Could they not have assigned less celebrities to each table. It looked rather crowded.

15. DTW says:

if you don’t want your globes talked about, you don’t pop them out for all to see. Tina & Amy kept joking, “what are they gonna do…fire us?” At first I though it meant they had edgy content. Not I realize they barely showed up.

16. puck says:

What a boring night. I hope the Oscars get the winners right.

17. puck says:

J Lo needs to grow up. That trashy dressing shows desperation at it’s highest level. Her globes looked liked ping pongs and not in a good way.

• Dan says:

When you don’t have any discernible talent, you gotta resort to plunging cleavages over and over and over in every ceremony. Assuming said cleavage is of any note, of course. Give it 5 years and people won’t even remember there was a J Lo once. Either that or she shows up naked. Then we’ll remember.

18. Marco says:

How was Tina Fey’s zinger funny? Sorry, but it totally misses the mark.

19. Amanda says:

Common actually said “murdered” not “killed” regarding the two police officers. It’s the truer word.

20. Jan says:

Agree with almost all your choices. [Let’s face it; I usually agree with Michael & Andy.] I was absolutely thrilled by Gina Rodriguez’s win (and speech). Found Eddie Redmayne extremely charming. Have to admit I was THINKING what Renner said, but it really was an “easy” shot. Nice that there were actually a number of meaningful acceptance speeches.

21. Laura Markl says:

I am so glad that I did not waste time watching the Golden Globes. I would rather rewatch my college basketball team lose again. The jokes I have read are not funny. Most of the good comedians are dead. I miss Bob Hope. He will never have been mean spirited with his jokes.

22. herman1959 says:

I’d planned to skip the Golden Globes, as usual, but I happened to pass my husband watching the opening monologue and stopped. When they did that Bill Cosby “joke”, I kept going.

23. Tom B. says:

Anyone else notice McConaughey’s NEW accent?? It wasn’t Texas, it was Georgia or Mississippi from the 19th Century. Can anyone say identitiy crisis? What is with that guy? Last year’s long, drawn-out, self-absorbed, stoner, endless speeches were bad enough, but now he’s talking COMPLETELY different! I heard he’s doing a Civil War movie, but can’t you just leave the character on the set and not bring it with you EVERYWHERE YOU GO??