MTV's Shannara Fills Final Role

Shannara Cast MTV

Spanish actress Ivana Baquero has landed the last pivotal role in MTV’s upcoming fantasy drama Shannara, TVLine has learned.

Based on the book series by Terry Brooks, Shannara takes place in a post-apocalyptic world known as the Four Lands. Baquero, who starred in Pan’s Labyrinth, will play Eretria, a lovely young thief who finds herself tagging along on a journey to save that world.

Shannara also stars Austin Butler (The Carrie Diaries) as Wil Ohmsford, a half-elf/half-human who discovers he’s the last member of the Shannara family; Poppy Drayton (Downton Abbey) as Amberle, an elf princess who becomes a member of the Chosen, a group dedicated to protecting the mighty Ellcrys tree; Aaron Jakubenko (Spartacus: War of the Damned) as Ander, Amberle’s uncle who helps her train to become a Chosen; and Manu Bennett (Arrow) as Allanon, a wise druid who sends Wil on a sizable journey.

Not exactly your typical MTV show…

So, will Shannara make the journey to your DVR? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the series below.

1. Wordsmith says:

Shannara was always one of the more generic (read: lightweight Tolkien clone) fantasy series, and I’m still a bit weirded out that it landed at MTV of all places, but it’s ambitious and I’m certainly curious to see how it turns out.

2. DL says:

This was one fantasy book series I never really got into, so I’m curious to see what it’s all about. That said, for the sake of its fans, I truly hope it’s better than Legend of the Seeker (which, as a fan of the novels, I couldn’t stand, despite Bridget Regan’s stellar work on that show).

3. JeffDJ says:

I loved the first bunch of Shannara books in my teens, and the casting seems pretty good. I still think MTV is a bizarre fit for this project, but I’ll definitely give it a look when it debuts.

4. Shannon says:

Curious to see how Aaron will cut it on American television. A little excited, though. The premise sounds somewhat interesting, but, as everyone else has already pointed out, weird for it to be on MTV.

• Laura says:

Maybe they are playing on the success of teen wolf and wanting another fantasy/supernatural show to follow up that success. Worried it will be too teen oriented, but I guess CW didn’t do that with arrow so much so maybe there’s hope? I’ve not read Shannara series but I like the kingdom for sale etc series so I’ll be checking it out at least.

5. Kristen says:

I loved the books as a kid and was so disappointed when the movie was shelved for elfstones of shannara. That was always my favorite book of the series and am so glad they will be focusing on this one first. I am not sure how this will be as a series but I will definitely be checking this out😊

6. ScottJ says:

MTV does have Teen Wolf, so adding a fantasy show to their schedule doesn’t strike me as all that odd. Its one of the only things that they haven’t tried.

7. jm says:

Ivana is a great actress, glad for her. I dont like her blonde though

8. Jess says:

excited for this. I really love those books. read every single one to date. This makes me want to read them all again.

9. lizo says:

this sounds COOL. Yes, yes I will watch

10. rob bunker says:

Im excited for the tv series . My first fantasy book i read was sword of shannara. When Terry Brooks wrote the phantom menace. I thought of shannara going to the big screen.