Arrested Development Season 5: Netflix 'Optimistic' About Reuniting the Bluths

Arrested Development Season 5

Someone tell Michael to fill up the stair car, because if all goes well, the Bluth family will ride again.

“I’ve been very optimistic about how it all comes together,” Netflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos told reporters Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “[Arrested Development is a] very complicated show to do, considering how busy the entire cast is.”

As you may recall, scheduling the entire cast was so tricky that Season 4 consisted of only a few group scenes. Most of the 15 episodes, which hit Netflix in May 2013, focused on individual members of the Bluth family.

In short, though, Sarandos insisted, “Everyone is trying to make it happen.”

Are you keeping your fingers crossed for another Bluth family resurgence, or would you rather just remember them as they are? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Joey says:

The only thing annoying about this story is that it seems like every few months, Netflix puts out this exact same statement, that they want it to happen, but it’s hard, but no further progress is made on it.

• alistaircrane says:

Maybe that’s all they can say. There could be a lot of movement behind the scenes that we’re unaware of/they can’t talk about yet.

2. alistaircrane says:

I need a fifth season or a movie!!! Season 4 left us with so many cliffhangers! What happened to Lucille 2? Did Lindsay die? Will Michael and George Michael repair their relationship?

3. eddie says:

season 5 should only be like 6 episodes so that we can get the whole cast together.

4. Unless they can improve on the mess that was the previous season, don’t bother.

5. Steven says:

I just hope next season is better than season 4.

6. The Kaibosh says:

Fingers crossed! Hope this works out even if it takes on the same format as season 4. Which I thought was very cleverly done and I gotta say that I for one don’t understand how anyone who claims to be an Arrested Development fan could not like season 4. Sorry but I’m left with: those that didn’t like it, didn’t understand it. Which I guess was too smart for some people.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. People tend to hate things they don’t understand. I thought my Arrested Development fans were intelligent, but I guess some of their brains turned to mush in the 7 years between seasons.

7. Kat says:

As long as they can manage to make the ensemble appear together again. That was what was lost in Season 4.

8. Et al says:

When is the previously announced chronological season 4 edit going to be available? I’m excited for that AND a fifth season. If you didn’t like season 4 (I did) season 5 will surely give us anus tart.

9. Stanislava says:

YES,PLEEEAASE!!!!

10. Marcos says:

I would love them to make a 5th season which hurwitz said would be more like the original series which would be nice as despite liking the 4th seaspn would like to see more of the family together. The reason it’s difficult deal is Fox

11. Anne says:

Yes! Funniest show EVER. And I mean EVER.

12. Dan says:

More AD… It’s the most well done comedy and any AD fan will always want to see more.. One of the few shows that is impossible to have a favorite character.. they are all good.

13. Dan says:

As long as Cera isn’t involved at all, I’m all in. He was the only thing that brought the season down imo.

14. Infinite Bit says:

So was the Movie hype an alternative to new seasons? I was under the impression we were in for 5 – 6 seasons AND a movie if they could get the funding and clear up schedules.

15. Samantha says:

I would love to see more. Personally, I think a short season, maybe 8 – 13 episodes, that run a bit longer too, about 45 min, would be perfect. Season 4 was just fantastic in my book. I do like seeing all the actors together, so maybe a movie, or a trilogy type format could work.
    Either way, my vote is YES!

16. Donna says:

We need them back….so much fun!!’