TVLine Items: NBC Trims About a Boy, Netflix Renews Marco Polo and More

About a Boy Cancelled

NBC’s Boy is getting shorter.

The sophomore season of About a Boy is being cut by two episodes, our sister site Deadline reports, bringing it to a total of 20.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Netflix’s Marco Polo has been renewed for a 10-episode second season, the streaming service announced Wednesday, which will find the titular character delving deeper into the world of Kublai Khan.

* Soul icon Gladys Knight will guest-star on an upcoming episode of TV Land’s Hot in Cleveland, The Wrap reports, playing a psychic named Miss Shonda.

* Australian DJ/model/actress Ruby Rose will appear in Orange Is the New Black‘s third season, playing a Litchfield inmate named Stella Carlin. Rose revealed the news herself in the latest issue of Elle magazine.

1. Will says:

yikes on the episode reduction… About A Boy is looking almost certain for cancellation come May.

• herman1959 says:

Yup, I think the beginning of the end was last season when Will opted to hang out with Marcus instead of attending his girlfriend’s work event. I haven’t watched it since.

• alistaircrane says:

LOL, do you not even get the point of the show?!

• herman1959 says:

Yes I certainly do since I actually saw the pilot and the original film. My issue with the particular episode I reference is that the writers went too far with their “point” so that Will’s decision wasn’t realistic given the situation.

2. Tran says:

This could be “bad news” for About a Boy.

3. Toni says:

I love About a Boy! I make an effort to watch it every week..I watch New Girl then switch over. Sigh, I hope it hangs in there..the three of them are so adorable!

4. m3rcnate says:

I watched Marco Polo…i loved it, then i read the reviews and was fairly surprised it got ripped apart. So i am happy it got a second season, and will most definitely be watching on day one of its release.

5. I’d be both overjoyed and disappointed if About a Boy is canceled. Overjoyed because it’s just filler TV for me as the stories are kinda repetitive. Disappointed because I loved the book. However, the movie wasn’t as good as the book, so why should this be any better.

6. Runaway Sleigh says:

Really hoping the “Episode Count reduction” is a move between the studios/network to cut costs and keep the show going at a more manageable level. I enjoy this show.

7. Carla Krae says:

Losing only 2 eps isn’t bad. They’ll be okay.

8. Ray says:

Sad that AAB had its episode order cut.

Haven’t seen Marco Polo yet, but those who did didn’t have very good things to say about it. Season 2 should be set somewhere else other than Imperial China. Ancient India would be ideal.

9. androme3 says:

I wonder if Miss Shonda’s last name is similar to Rhimes.
    That’ll be joke I’d see a mile away, yet only a millimeter funny.

10. M says:

Skipped the turkey. Marco Polo is what I binged on over the break. I was expecting to react to it like I reacted to The Tudors or Reign but I loved it!

11. phoenix381 says:

About a Boy was a favorite – writing ruined it this year (like the latest AHS).

12. Peggy says:

I wished they would bring about a boy back I loved that show.

13. Royally Ticked says:

Why would you do that? You can’t just leave us at a cliffhanger after what happened with Fiona and Will, I’m sure enough people watch the show for NBC to make enough money. .. this is just like what happened with “Jane by design” on ABC family and it stinks!!!!! If your gonna cancel a show you should at least tie up all the loose ends