Pretty Little Liars Recap: Ali Bye

Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars winter premiere posed an important — though fortunately uncommon — question: What do you do when your best friend is being framed for murder, and you have no proof to the contrary?

If you’re Hanna, you’ll ask Mrs. Grunwald to host a supernatural kiki, which will only lead to more confusion. (Seriously, “No peace, only fear”? Why can’t Mrs. G surprise us by actually making sense for once?)

If you’re Emily, you’ll suggest planting Alison’s hair at the crime scene to frame her, which Spencer will remind you is “an actual crime.” You’ll do it anyway, because you’re desperate, only to discover a conveniently planted camera in the vent in Mona’s living room.

Then, if you’re really lucky, that camera will contain a video of Mona’s actual attack, Alison’s brother will admit he lied about her alibi and the police will haul Ali off in the back of a paddywagon. (Note for future reference: When being arrested, it’s probably a terrible idea to say, “You’ve been warned” while simultaneously attempting to argue your innocence.)

Meanwhile, in Rosewood…

R.I.P.AILY | After weeks of uncertainty, “Paily” fans were finally treated to a really beautiful scene between the two girls, though it might not have happened exactly as they’d hoped. It was a goodbye — or, at least, a “goodbye for now” — as Paige hopped a plane to Atlantic City to escape her hellish existence in Rosewood. “I don’t think she was wrong,” Emily told the girls when they questioned Paige’s decision. “She got out.”

OH, BROTHER | Did you know that, in addition to getting giant arms, lifting weights can also grant you emotions? That’s my theory about Mike Montgomery, who’s showing a surprising amount of depth in the wake of Mona’s murder. I was sure he was going to go the strong, silent route — especially after he brushed off Ezra’s questions during their woodworking sesh — but when he and Aria both broke down in tears at the end of the hour, I knew he loved Mona. (Additional thought: Could Mike become the next male Liar? Surely, he wants answers…)

PLL fans, what’d you think of the winter premiere? Did Alison kill Mona and Bethany? Did Paily’s (latest) breakup scene wreck you? Did everyone on this show get more attractive during the hiatus? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your thoughts and theories.

1. Riana says:

It’s really obvious that she’s innocent. The past few episodes have shown that she’s terrified. Alison doesn’t come off as someone who have murdered anyone.

2. Kristina says:

Paige didn’t hop a plane to Atlantic City. She hopped a plane to San Francisco, and Emily bought a ticket to Atlantic City in order to make the obligatory airport goodbye scene happen.

I still think Ali killed Mona. She doesn’t necessarily have to be A to have killed her. There was a lot of bad blood between those two.

• Riana says:

Yes, enough for someone to frame her. Considering that there are people that probably wanted both to go down, it makes since that she’s innocent.

3. Elma Penarodriguez says:

Well if I had seen it, I’d have an opinion. Unfortunately Netflix / showbox; have not loaded the new seasons yet. Its very frustrating.

4. These girls are more blind than ever. I gotta say, it will be priceless seeing their faces when they discover the Ali is not their enemy here. It couldn’t be more obvious, but again, when these girls were smart on this show? lol

• Riana says:

Yes, they let A turn them against their own friend

• Anastasia. says:

Tbh I don’t think Ali was much of a friend. When she came back, she had them lying to their family, to the police, being turned against each other and causing Hanna to go on a downward spiral. A might have not been Ali but A didn’t turn them against Ali. Ali pitted them against Ali.

5. Paige was never written as endgame for Emily. So, it’s not surprise she is leaving. The writers always treated her as just a filler on the show. She doesn’t have any good plot, and barely appears on the show these days. (appears in one episode and then is missing for another ten). My point is, it seems that she don’t have any purpose on the show anymore, and as the writers don’t have anything more to work with her, are just saying in the show that she is leaving town

• ChrisGa says:

Very true regarding Paige but, to be fair, their are NUMEROUS characters on this show who pop up in an episode and then disappear for a good ten, twelve or more(it’s actually the most frustrating part of this show next to dragging out the “Who is A?” mystery). Lucas, Mike, Jenna, Noel, Jason, Wren, Melissa, CeCe, Garrett(before he got whacked), Ian(before he got whacked) and Wilden(you get the picture) have all gotten the same treatment from this show.

6. Cobra says:

Paige went to San Francisco, not Atlantic City. Emily bought a ticket to Atlantic City to get through security.

7. Mona’s killer was wearing a wig. That’s how it looked to me in the episode she was killed in.

• Melissa says:

A probably planted the video cam herself too at monas house to get rid of Alison

I just wonder who A will go after next. Mona I think is still alive until further notice at least to me. No body not dead. That’s what happened with Alison too at the beginning. She will help the girls now and guide them.
      Arias brother knows more than what he appears to know now.
      Paige leaves to San Fran but why?
      She didn’t have nothing against her .

To be honest I think the answer is in every show. The introduction when pll comes on.
      Why does aria hush people and who is the blonde now if Alison is alive? And Hanna looks away?

• Mona’s body was clearly visible in the trunk of the car in the last episode before the X-Mas special.

• Karrie says:

Mona can’t be alive because we actually saw her dead in the trunk. Yes no body has been found on the show but that doesn’t make her alive and I think that was more for the story purpose of not having found her body. Also Ms Gernwald already said she was laying with insects and not at peace.

• Melissa says:

Arias brother knows more than what he appears to know now.
      Paige leaves to San Fran but why?
      She didn’t have nothing against her .

A planted that video cam in Mona’s house .. Maybe Mona framed it to fool A

8. Tracy84 says:

Am I the only one that thinks A knew about the camera in Mona’s house? He/she could have been watching her and knew she installed it. It seems suspicious that someone with blonde hair, resembling Alli’s just happens to be caught on tape attacking Mona. Especially when we know that the killer had a knife. Why not just stab her in her room? Instead the killer throws her down the stairs and attacks her in plain view of a hidden camera? DNA evidence of Mona is found in Alli’s trunk? I think A is setting her up and the liars are falling for it. I don’t believe that Alli is A. I never believed that Alli is A. I think A tried to kill Alli, killed Bethany, Mrs.D, and Mona and is as much a threat to Alli as he/she is to the liars, if not more so. Also, the liars were with Alli when Mrs.D was killed and they figured A killed her. How are they explaining Alli being A then? She had someone murder her own mom and bury her in the yard? These liars don’t seem very smart and their guys aren’t any better. Maybe between all of them they could come up with one logical idea? If Spencer isn’t on the hook for murder anymore and the girls truly believe Alli is A, then why don’t they go to the police and tell them about A? I mean if A is neutralized, why are they still keeping the secret?

• Michelle says:

I think A planted the camera. They knew they were going to kill Mona, so why not frame Ali at the same time with a wig on? I don’t think Ali is A, but I think whatever she’s hiding is just as bad as being A. Why would A still be after her if it wasn’t? Why is A after any of them?! Can’t wait to find out who Big A is.

9. webly3 says:

Let’s be real guys – when is the killer EVER the person that is initially framed on Pretty Little Liars? There is no way that Alison killed Mona because she’s been framed. I have no idea who ‘A’ is these days because the writers have done a terrible job at wrapping up storylines that it’s hard to tell whether people are innocent or guilty around here. I feel like everyone is guilty around here. I don’t know what to think about where this show is headed. I just wish that we would actually get some answers rather than people being framed for things they never did and then we as viewers never find out who did it. Does anyone even care about what happened to Jessica DiLaurentis anymore?

10. A3rynSun76 says:

The Allison we have recently met…I’m sure she’s the twin now. I thought they had abandoned that, but it seems more and more like she’s someone trying to keep up. I don’t think that the real Allison is necessarily dead, but I’m confident that the Ali we see right now isn’t the same girl who was at the sleepover in Spencer’s barn.

11. Connie says:

This episode was so much better than I expected, and that slap head round the world was just the icing on the cake!!!

12. stuntdevil28 says:

She’s not A and she’s not guilty… But she is working with the A team… And let’s not forget that Maya might be one of this A minions… This was an interesting Winter Premiere and I can’t wait for next week’s episode… Pretty Little Liars 4eva

13. B says:

Ali isn’t A! It’s too obvious! I think she’s the reason for this mess but she’s not A just a bitch

14. Ashley says:

“Paige hopped a plane to Atlantic City” – She went to San Fran, Em bought a ticket to Atlantic city to get through security

15. Nate says:

A is totally a dude

16. chantz says:

Paige looked like she’s tryna hide something or run from something she did….she looked a lil fishy to me.

17. Karrie says:

I am wondering why “A” didn’t kill Aria when she went to pick up her brother at Ezera’s place. That was a perfect killing opportunity and we know that it wasn’t Ali who was attacking her as we saw Ali talking to Mrs G in the next scene. It is strange that A kills all these people and tortures the Liars but when they get an exact moment to kill one they don’t they just stole the laptop.

This show drives me insane but I want to know who A is so I watch it. But I don’t even try to guess because their never seems to be any consistency. Nothing is ever what it seems. We all thought Ezra was A and it so made to look like it and then, there was Toby and Aria. Well the list goes on.

18. Roberto says:

Bethany Young is A. Bethany Young has a twin, and the night Ali went missing, the wrong twin was killed. Bethany lives on, plotting revenge against Ali and the liars for everything that happened to her. That is the only correct theory I can think of, and I think Jason is protecting Bethany, because he’s always know about her.