General Hospital Recasts Role With As the World Turns Fave

Grayson McCouch General Hospital

A General Hospital character is getting a new — but familiar — face.

On the heels of day player Robb Derringer tweeting-n-deleting about his release from the role of special agent Kyle Sloane, ABC has confirmed for Soap Opera Digest that daytime-TV vet Grayson McCouch is taking over the part.

McCouch’s soap resume include As the World Turns‘ Dusty Donovan (#Lusty4ever) and Another World‘s Dr. Morgan Winthrop, while his primetime credits include All Souls, Legacy and, most recently, Fox’s Gotham (as ill-fated Thomas Wayne).

Derringer, who made his GH debut in mid-November, will continue to appear as Kyle for the next several weeks, with McCouch set to begin recurring in early February.

1. Tran says:

Didn’t know that Grayson McCouch played the ill-fated Thomas Wayne on Gotham but his role as Dusty Donovan on ATWT was pure devilish. Can’t wait for his return to the daytime soap opera world on GH.

2. Carrie says:

ohh. i have totally fast forwarded through the current guy(not a fan of his acting or facial expressions) but I will watch the parts with Grayson in the role. I just loved him on Another World.

3. Jimmy says:

Why the recast? Don’t get me wrong, I like Grayson McCouch, but Robb Derringer was doing fine in the role. Also, this seems like a very minor role, so what’s the necessity in a recast?

• Laura says:

I’m guessing that they wanted to expand the role so they realized they needed to recast. GH’s cast is way too big but I like McCouch so I’m curious to see what they do with this role and what kind of chemistry he has with Hughes.

• And that’s the whole thing in a nut shell.The present actor is too young for Anna and quite handsome I might add. Too bad because he’s a good actor..I was really hoping he would end up with Carly.

• big cheddar says:

Too young? Both of these guys are in their mid/late 40s, and Robb is actually older than Grayson. But the grey hair does make him look older.

• Jazz says:

I am guessing that the part is being expanded and they wanted a “name” actor.

• TL says:

Agreed. Regardless if the role is being expanded. Derringer was doing just fine.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, totally agree, I really liked Derringer; I thought he was a hot stud who could actually act, which is sometimes a rare package.

• z says:

The guy playing Kyle Sloane was doing fine. He is supposed to be someone Anna mentored thus assuming younger. The recast was not needed and there was chemistry already. Seems this new guy has a following, though in short time, Robb Derringer developed a following that is upset over this. A handsome newbie, young , talented and not given the chance to show range. Welll I have no doubt we will be seeing him in other parts in near future .Wishing him the best, I will not see Sloane the same after this. Robb caught my attention along with other fans.

• MinxXP says:

I believe it’s to have a romance between Anna and Kyle… Could be wrong but the new guy looks more of her age than the guy they have now

4. Joe says:

I was thinking they recast the character because they (the writers/producers) see him as a potential love interest for Anna. While the current guy is okay enough, he looks much younger for Anna. Maybe they want an older looking guy so a romance could be more believable (not that Anna couldn’t bag a younger gentleman anyway).

5. Eric7740 says:

Just wanted to say thanks for reporting on Soap Operas/Daytime Dramas!!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!!

6. dude says:

Thank god! The actor is HORRIBLE! Can’t stand to watch his scenes.

• jax1341 says:

LOL – that is exactly what I said! There is NO way that character would have lasted with that actor. Grayson McCouch was awesome as Dusty and he will hold his own with Finola Hughes and the entire GH cast. I was really bummed that Duke and Anna broke up but I now I’m interested in this story.

7. Eachy says:

Gotta say this for both the Actors.. YUM YUMM YUMMMY

8. Jacqi says:

best news ever!!! Loved hims as dusty!!!

9. Amie says:

I guess this means that evil agent Sloane will continue to pursue his anti-Anna agenda. Ugh. I was hoping the fact that the actor was leaving would mean the character was leaving, too.

• Mary says:

I’m with you. Not fond of this story line. Maybe a new person will bring it to life. Never watched ATWT so I know nothing about this actor.

10. Cory says:

Does anyone else see the resemblance to Duke? Anna needs to shake things up a bit, not keep going with ‘type’.

11. Lizo says:

Oh Dusty, you made staying home sick from school great.

12. jodie straub says:

I really liked Robb Derringer on here. Would have loved to see him and Anna start something romantic. Sounds like he is not happy about the cut either. Not sure who this new guy is…but he does look more Anna’s age so maybe they will get something going.

13. Brittany says:

The #Lusty4ever note seriously made my inner teeny bopper squeal. Oh how I miss the days of shipping soap opera couples!

14. This is wonderful !!! Grayson is terrific. I was a fan of his when he was on ATWT!

15. Donela says:

So glad to see that he will be here. Have missed him

16. shannon says:

great recast! GH has a problem with its repeitive and boring prison yard and failed mob hit stories, but the mob actors are truly fantastic and the dialogue in the show so funny I can see potential.

17. Dominique says:

Matt, I just started liking you even more than I already did because of the #Lusty4ever comment.

18. Angela Huffman says:

Anna Davaine, if that’s how u spell her last name.

19. Sarah Reese says:

loved his work on a/w and again on atwt i know i will jove him again on g.h.welcome back.

20. lori says:

Awesome!! Nothing against the other actor, but I loved Grayson on ATWT!!!