Amazon Studios Cancels Series Order for Chris Carter's The After

The After Cancelled

Amazon Studios has cancelled its series order for The After, a supernatural drama from X-Files creator Chris Carter, our sister site Variety reports.

Along with Bosch (which recently wrapped production on its freshman run), Transparent (already renewed for Season 2), the recently released Mozart in the Jungle and others, The After received a green light from Amazon back in March, after its pilot received positive reaction via the streaming service’s unique preview process. Only the pilot wound up produced, however.

“We have decided to not move forward with The After,” Amazon Studios VP Roy Price said in a statement. “We would like to thank Chris Carter, the phenomenal cast, crew and producers for all their efforts.”

The After follows eight strangers who must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation. The cast included Aldis Hodge (Leverage), Andrew Howard (Copper), Arielle Kebbel (Vampire Diaries), Jamie Kennedy (Ghost Whisperer), Sharon Lawrence (NYPD Blue) and Adrian Pasdar (Heroes).

1. Charissa says:

Bummer. I enjoyed the pilot and was looking forward to seeing where the series would go from there.

2. bj says:

I was looking forward to seeing Adrian Pasdar in a series again.

3. Well, that sucks. The pilot was like 99.99% set up for the final scene and now there’s no follow through.

4. MD says:

I enjoyed the pilot. I hope “The After” gets picked up elsewhere.

5. shannon says:

only good one they came up with, rest are USA network rejects. Might be good, but they all look kind of lame.

6. kb23 says:

REALLY??? I just put this on my watchlist because it sounded good… WTH?

7. rowan77 says:

There must have been too much disagreement about the show’s direction. I thought Amazon wasn’t going to operate like other. Less interference. It seems I may have been wrong.

• quang says:

I personally thought the pilot was awful, but was going to continue watching in the hopes that Carter get his mojo back along the way. Pretty much all the critics also hated it, so it seems like the canned it before it could damage their brand.

• RichCD says:

The first ten minutes were intriguing, but then it got really bad, really fast. I assumed that the new episodes would be significantly recast/reworked. Guess they just couldn’t make it happen…

• johnhelvete says:

To me it seems like Amazon let Chris Carter do what ever he wanted with the pilot, and than asked him to make some changes because they felt the pilot was not very good. That to me is not “interference” but trying to salvage a pilot.

8. mollytanner says:

Does Amazon only film one series at a time? I thought it was announced The After was premiering early 2015, I didn’t know they didn’t even film any episodes. Are Hand of God and Red Oaks currently in production?

9. Big mistake. Amazon needs to pick-up the pace on watchable new programming if they want to compete. Jungle and Transparent to artistic for mainstream.

10. Maryann says:

I really liked The After pilot. That and Bosch were the only new Netflix shows I was planning to watch.

11. GeoDiva says:

Ugh! Now we’ll never know why them all having the same birthday was so important. I hate being left hanging.

12. herman1959 says:

The premise didn’t sound like anything I wanted to see so I skipped it, and I was right. Plus, the field is crowded with supernatural shows, so another one would have to be VERY special to make it – this wasn’t it. Where are the fresh ideas?

13. Annie says:

I am stunned at all the positive comments about this show. I was really disappointed in the pilot. Sloppy writing, nonsense casting (the “old woman” was barely older than Pasdar? Huh???), and a few nicely tense moments undercut by the script equivalent of someone shooting out all four tires. This was a mercy killing, trust.

• R.O.B. says:

Agreed! Love how, in the middle of the apocalypse, the model decides to skinny dip in the pool. And the gay clown would have been a laugh riot to watch for a full season. /sarc

14. Brock says:

Totally hate Amazon’s pilot season. Anything I like doesn’t make it screen. And even if it did, it takes too long

• dman6015 says:

Keep in mind that Amazon is rather new to original programming. They may not have the talent that Netflix does to produce something original.

15. Leverage International says:

Didn’t watch the pilot. Premise didn’t interest me. However, I feel bad for Aldis Hodge & Arielle Kebbel, They’re both very talented and likeable actors. Hopefully they’ll find something longer lasting.

16. tony says:

Clearly not that phenomenal if you’re dumping them.

Netflix are winning as they have risen above this nonsense.

17. R.O.B. says:

The pilot was filled with every conceivable annoying cliche character, almost all of them unbearable to watch. The show should have been called “The F$#%ing”. Because the F-bomb was literally every other word. An interesting concept rendered unwatchable by the characters and the dialogue.

18. Jericho says:

Damn, this was the only Amazon pilot I truly enjoyed. We really need a new “sci fi mystery” on TV and Carter is definitely someone that can pull it off.

19. Kayla says:

How stupid, they should have at least followed through with the first season..

• Will Carroll says:

I agree. Looks to me like they have been playing us for a while now. This series was supposed to be premiering now which means they should have had at least 2 or 3 episodes in the can already. It looks like they pulled the plug a long time ago but decided to use interest in the show to grow Prime’s subscriber base and put off announcing the cancellation as long as possible. It seems as though Amazon played us all.

20. DavidSask says:

There were a few inaccuracies in the pilot but one of the most promising for Amazon, this is sad news. My guess is cast, creator is to expensive, filming costs?!

21. Mike says:

I was looking forward to that show and I wondered what happened to it. Bummer

22. Brendan says:

I’m kind of glad that The After has been pulled. All that reviews to get it to become the series was for nothing. Bosch will be seen in February.

23. Fuzzy Dunlop says:

LOL. The pilot wasn’t awful and i love how everyone gives his personal idea of why the series hasn’t gone forward. The truth(what an appropriate word) is that Chris Carter has been focusing too much on Area 51(on AMC) and plus he didn’t like how the Amazon Executives were all hands on telling him how they would have liked the series to proceed. Apparently they had promised him artistic freedom(a la HBO give or take) but they didn’t keep their promise. Which is why he’s been focusing much more on Area 51. I think it’s better this way, i never liked the idea of Chris being at Amazon with their crappy digital cheap shot shows.

24. Are you kidding me? My husband and I were really looking forward to this. What a disappointment!

25. Tom Kouveras says:

Booooo… I’ve been waiting a year for the first season. Two thumbs down Amazon!

26. Paul says:

Lost all faith in amazon….wont be watching any more pilots and will be cancelling my amazon prime account….angry does no describe. The after was the type of series tv is missing and I hace been eagerly waiting for the season.

27. Jeff Dean says:

This is just one of many “broken promises” seen from amazon recently. Instead of a reasonal regrouping of the “help us choose our next series” approach (after the apparent failure with this and other series pilots they “greenlighted” based on their reqiested customer feedback), Amazon has released an even larger number of series pilots to tease their customers. Will Amazon actually listen to their customers? Who knows? The trust is definitely injured now.

• Jeff Dean says:

Well now I see a lot of buzz about Carter and an XFiles reboot with Fox. Hmmm maybe it was Carter who pulled the plug. Regardless, there wasn’t any explanation for this news. The After was planned for release in “early 2015” i am curious if there was any production work ever done beyond the pilot.

28. CJ says:

The potential to bring together multiple characters, each with potentially strong resonating roles, a thrill ride of pilot, and to just let it go,,, no explanation? Will someone at least consider shopping the production perhaps to a cable network production?

29. Robert says:

I just found out about Amazon canceling “The After.” This makes me very angry, I am sick of companies promising to continue a show that I have been excited about since the first episode for reason they do not like us to know. Over 15000 people reviewed it with a 7.6/10 average after one episode. The entire series of this cross dressing hippie show Transplant or whatever took an entire season to get over 15000 people to review it. With shows like the walking dead, Z nation, the colony it is very obvious that people love watching end of world television shows. Everyone knows what The X Files are and I believe this show could have been just as successful as it was. It was a huge mistake canceling The After as it has already cost them my continued membership and me ever buying anything from Amazon as it is clear they do not care about the fan base of the shows they green light and then cancel after we get excited about it. Believe me when I say a show like The After would have been much more successful than a show about a cross dressing man hands down, no contest.

30. D howard says:

Hope they reconsider or someone else picks it up. I enjoyed the pilot. Won’t fall into the trap of watching a show again till I know they’re actually going to run it. No disappointment that way.

31. Greg says:

I hope it is better than the last spinoff. it was horrible.

32. corey says:

I waited and just short of a year to finally watch this and then they cancel a month from showtime. I hate Amazon right now… I watched Transparent and thought it was boring and sucky. This was literally the only one I liked. I hope they make Cocked.

33. Rena Prado says:

Amazon suxs big time. I was a fantastic pilot, I was hooked just from that one show, want more and now I find out Amazon is pulling out. Dumb!

• Will Carroll says:

What really annoys me is that Amason/Prime came out saying that the show was already picked up and would begin airing first of the year. Now, after using interest in the show to grow Primes subscriber base, when the show was finally to begin airing they come out and pull the plug. Whether you liked the pilot or not it was just a poor way to treat both the viewers and series creators.

34. Stephen Caro says:

i have been waiting for additional episodes. Go to kickstarter let the fans finance it. I’m in.

35. Eric says:

I almost wanted to cancel prime when I heard about this. The after was by far the most compelling of the new Amazon Prime shows. Why have us vote for a show, if when we chose it you go and cancel it. None of the other shows compare even remotely to the After in terms of intrigue. I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. Please don’t have us vote in the future, it’s a joke.

36. Lynda says:

I loved this! There’s not nearly enough really good shows that hold my interest. This show had me at the pilot and they cancel it. Ridiculous!