Walking Dead Spinoff Casts Deadwood Vet Kim Dickens as Female Lead

Walking Dead Spinoff Kim DIckens

Kim Dickens is headed to a different kind of Wild West.

The Deadwood alum has landed the female lead in AMC’s Walking Dead spinoff, TVLine has confirmed.

Dickens will play a guidance counselor who’s in a relationship with a divorced teacher (Gang Related‘s Cliff Curtis).

Our sister site Deadline was first to report the news.

As scooped by TVLine, the untitled Walking Dead offshoot, which is operating under the code name Cobalt, will be set in Los Angeles and be a prequel of sorts, one that would chronicle the early days of the epidemic and the effort to contain it. The pilot script was penned by showrunner Dave Erickson and TWD creator Robert Kirkman.

The cast also includes Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince‘s Tom Riddle) and Aussie actress Alycia Debnam Carey (McLeod’s Daughters).

Dickens, whose credits also include Treme, Friday Night Lights and Sons of Anarchy, will next be seen in Season 3 of House of Cards.

1. JWB says:

She was great in treme and the movie Gone Girl. I have mixed feelings about a Walking Dead spin off. For every good spin off like The Flash their are terrible ones like Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior.

• Shaun says:

Flash isn’t a spinoff.It was supposed to have the pilot through Arrow.

• Arrows was going to air two Flash episode which was going to show the Flash/his supporting cast/villain but decide to debut the pilot in the Flash own series. I was glad that the producer decide to developed the pilot episode in his own series.

• Riley says:

Spin-off: ‘A fictional work where the protagonist was introduced in a preceding work or at least shares the same equivalent setting, often in a different aspect.’

Flash sounds like a spinoff to me then.

• Andrea says:

Agreed the flash altho briefly introduced still crosses over as a secondary show to arrow which came first they live in the same world share enemies it may not have been the more common Buffy/angel spin off but it is a spin off if flash had come first arrow would’ve been a spin off makes no difference and it’s a good one so who cares lol

2. Since AMC now owns 49% of BBC America, they should have based the spinoff in London and aired the show on BBC America

3. wrstlgirl says:

Hmmm, loved her in Friday Night Lights, hated her in Sons of Anarchy. For now she’s just Jax wh*re. But I’m looking forward to this spin-off so I’m excited.

4. I can’t wait to see Kim Dickens on the spin-off series. Good luck to her.

5. Abby says:

Now I have to watch, even if a spinoff still makes me nervous its all overkill. Ever since Lost I’ve loved Kim in everything I’ve seen her do. Nice move, AMC.

6. m3rcnate says:

Yesssssss! Loved her in Sons of Anarcy and some other stuff i cant remember right now. She is great and smokin hot. Excited to see her killing zombies with a gun or blade. :D

7. militantgod says:

She’s been in a lot of quality shows over the years.

8. Joey says:

Loved her on Deadwood. Unfortunately I have no plans to watch this. Looking forward to her in House of Cards though!

9. Kevin says:

Deadwood? Really? Is that the most recent you could come up with? How about Sons of Anarchy, Treme, or Gone Girl?

10. ruth thomas says:

very excited love the walking so cant wait for this one to start

11. Mike says:

I am very interested in this “prequel”. A definite must-watch

12. Bill says:

…penis meat seems very good for me right now-