Teletubbies' Sun Baby Is All Grown Up: Meet 19-Year-Old Jess Smith

Teletubbies Sun Baby

It’s the then-and-now you didn’t know you needed to see today.

Jess Smith, a 19-year-old student at Canterbury Christ Church University, has revealed that she played the iconic sun-baby in the children’s TV show Teletubbies. And just like Smith’s character, the news is setting the interwebs ablaze.

According to London’s Telegraph, Smith filmed her part — which was simply looped throughout the British series’ four-season run — in 1996, at which time the BBC paid her 250 pounds and a box of toys.

Ready to see what Smith looks like today? (Hint: She’s the one on the left.)

teletubbies-girl

“Everyone says they can see the likeness between my face now and me as a baby,” Smith says. “I still have a baby face. I haven’t changed much either. I am still giggly.”

That said, Smith is probably too old to reprise the role for the 60 new episodes the Telegraph reports are being produced soon.

1. Et al says:

I loved her in Bride of Chucky.

2. she wasnt in bride of chucky

3. Gary K. Hooper says:

Congrats 💐 Jess Smith you wheir cute then and you still cute now. Enjoy the school year and Happy 😌 Holidays.

4. Devin Warren says:

@ Your “Comments are monitored…” crap. Ever heard of Freedom of Speech. This is fairly close to a public forum is it not? I hope your server isn’t based in America.

• Gaara says:

Lol? It just means that the editors read the comments and can delete the spamming/luring or the really over-the-top offensive ones. So?

• Dave says:

It’s a private forum. You are able to post because they let you. “Freedom of speech” is a protection against government censorship, nothing more. Maybe you should actually understand the constitution and learn some accurate civics before spouting off like a whiny child.

• Jeff Goldblum says:

Freedom of speech only protects you from the government. No one else has to put up with anyone’s speech.

• TheDuck says:

“Freedom of speech” means the government can’t abridge what you have to say. A private entity (like TVLine) has every right to monitor what you say and remove it if they choose to. It’s good that you understand your rights, but it’s better if you understand what they really mean and what they do (and don’t) affect.

5. Carol AM says:

Wow, time flies !!!! My little sunshine is 17 now. We used too watch the tubbies together every morning ,here in the states. Way to go Jess🌞. You have both became beautiful young ladies♡

6. MrSatyre says:

Delicious!

7. MrSatyre says:

“Talk smart about TV!” Hmmm. Is that a setup to a joke? Anyway, as weird as Teletubbies is/was, I still think Noddy was even stranger. But none of this matters, because I truly believe that as vapid as those shows are/were, there’s nothing better than making a young child’s brain do somersaults than shows like that (to say nothing of PeeWee’s Playhouse). It’s like reading Doctor Seuss; it doesn’t have to make much sense—or any at all—for it to be beneficial in helping young minds stretch and imagine alternate perspectives and worlds.

8. Jared park says:

Can I say. She looks like. A cute young lady

9. Jared park says:

She is a cute. Young. Lady

10. LUCY says:

AND UR STILL CUTE .

11. nastaran says:

O my God!! She is still as lovely as she was when she was acting in Teletubbies!! I can remember how much I like this face and her laugh in this nostalgic series