Ratings: State of Affairs Hits Low With No Voice, Drops SNL Lead-In

State of Affairs Ratings

The winter finale of NBC’s State of Affairs on Monday drew 4.6 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating (per finals), dropping 26 and 33 percent to series lows.

This marked the freshman drama’s first foray sans The Voice for a lead-in. (Instead, NBC opened its night with a two-hour SNL Christmas special, which did 4.5 mil/1.4.)

That said: Interesting new wrinkle regarding the shooting of Charlie’s fiance!

Elsewhere on this Christmas Eve eve eve:

* ABC’s Great Christmas Light Fight (5.9 mil/1.3) added some eyeballs but ticked down in the demo.

* CBS’ Mike & Molly (8.5 mil/1.7) rose 8 percent in audience but dipped a tenth in the demo to match its series low.

A Big Bang rerun (8.6 mil/1.7) drew broadcast TV’s largest audience and tied Mike & Molly for the demo win.

1. Carla Krae says:

It was a great episode. The airing timing wasn’t great – it’s Christmas week, so people that are home are watching lighter fare and a lot of people aren’t home. Probably going to see a lot of DVR numbers of last night.

• Moment says:

The DVR numbers for State of Affairs are quite poor when compared to what The Blacklist was pulling in that slot. Also NBC is slightly inflated by football so an adjustment down is likely. It simply collapsed with no Voice support.

• Zack Quinti says:

surprised it was new last night, no other show is new this week.. The networks have trained the viewers to not watch tv this week.

2. David4 says:

The State of Affairs is not looking good.

I think the problem isn’t the week, or the lead in (both of which don’t help it any.) but more than the lead actress can’t act.

• Dennis says:

You’re wrong. Katherine is an amazing and talented actress!

• para says:

uh you are wrong

• Dennis says:

Have you seen her work in Grey’s or Roswell? She’s a great dramatic actor and was great in the comedy Knocked Up, too. You may not like her personally, but to judge her professional work based on her persona work is unjust. She actually really is a very talented actress.

• Jane says:

I’ve seen her work in all of those and she was really bad in all of them. I’ve disliked her since Roswell. Not because of her personality but just because I think she is a really bad actress. All of those people who jump to the conclusion that when people say they don’t like her it is because of the articles about her or whatever really should consider that some of us just don’t think much of her acting skills.

• David4 says:

I have to agree with Jane. I have heard of the behind the scenes BS on Grey’s, but I’m not watching behind the scenes, I’m watching a show. She can be a B—– for all I care, as long as she can act. (Look at Harrison Ford for a good example of that.) Everything I have ever seen her in she is blah and just bad. She was even bad in Knocked Up, and that’s not anything close to an award winning movie.

She is not believable as an important government person.

• Moment says:

David, I actually hear that quite a lot. People just don’t find her believable in the role that she was cast in.

• Eric7740 says:

I believe Katherine has an Emmy to prove that statement wrong!

3. Moment says:

State of Affairs isn’t just dead, it’s zombified at this point. Saw it coming anyway.

4. HAP says:

State Of Affairs is a much better show than I was expecting. Am I the only one that sees parallels between it and Madam Secretary? And Madam Secretary regularly gets twice the tune in than State Of Affairs. Considering the many negative comments above, I can only conclude that Heigl haters are a factor.

• Moment says:

It’s more a case of Nielsen viewers not liking the show. Not everyone shares the same tastes as you and blaming the “haters” is an irrelevant excuse and one with no merit. Though I did find the drop absolutely hilarious. Considering her toxic personality it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

• herman1959 says:

My first post disappeared, so to repeat: I think the difference in ratings is due to the fact that the central characters are so different. Also, I think the way that the secondary storylines were rolled out has been important. State of Affairs put the killing of the fiancé out in front from the pilot, but the viewers didn’t stick around long enough for the payoff. If they had made a two-hour pilot, they could have explored the fiancé’s death and wrapped it up. The show could then have been structured as a stronger case of the week with continuing threads woven in like Madame Secretary.

5. will says:

You all are really missing out on an excellent show. Last night’s episode was the best yet.

6. Zoey says:

Repeat of NCIS:LA [from last Xmas] beat SOA. Well I love the former so ….. YAY!

7. dman6015 says:

It will probably be allowed to finish out its first season, but chances of a second look slim right now.

Any chance NBC can order 30 episodes of The Blacklist per season?

8. dana price says:

I’m LOVING # stateofaffairs! Best new show. I really hope they keep them coming, can’t wait until Monday night! Started watching late but was able to catch up On Demand. Love it, great show!
    I wasn’t a Grey’s fan but I enjoyed a few of her movies. However, I’m loving her in # stateofaffairs. The chemistry between Charlie and Nick is amazing. I usually now exactly where a show or movie is going but this show keeps surprising me.

9. dana price says: