Ratings: The Sound of Music Dips, Sunday Night Football Drops

The hills were a bit less alive this Sunday, as ABC’s “sing-along” presentation of The Sound of Music drew 5.6 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating, down 14 percent and a tenth from last year.

Over on NBC, Sunday Night Football‘s Seahawks/Cardinals match-up did 15.9 mil and a 5.2 (per fast nationals), down 27 and 32 percent from the prelims for last week’s Cowboys/Eagles clash.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Pending NFL overrun-related adjustments, Undercover Boss (8.7 mil/1.4) is down 14 percent in the demo, while The Mentalist (8.2 mil/1.3) and CSI (6.6 mil/1.2) are currently flat.

FOX | An NFL-boosted Mulaney drew 3.7 mil/1.2, doubling its most recent tallies.

Cable ratings, as always and forever, come in much later and typically are reported under separate cover.

1. Susan says:

Football on CBS always messes up The Mentalist and CSI. I don’t know why they can’t do something to keep this from happening.

2. crog says:

Man CSI did so bad for viewers but at least the demo is still solid

3. ChicagoDan says:

All 12 minutes of CSI….not sure why CBS bothered to switch over to Bills/Raiders game after 730 when it was basically over. CBS really should create a post-football show like The OT, but they want to pump aging 60M, which looks like it didn’t even hit a 2 in demo with football.

4. amadeline says:

I love the Sound of Music – but not with those really annoying lyrics flashing across the screen, so I watched something else. I hope that someone nominates whoever thought that would be a good idea gets nominated for idiot of the year!

• S. says:

Amen. It rather diminishes the fact you’re looking at a stunning achievement in film. The Sound of Music is pretty much a perfect movie. Direction, pacing, music, performances, etc. The stage show’s different (more sugary for one so you can imagine how Christopher Plummer would’ve loathed IT) and they really nailed the adaptation. I never have figured out how Richard Rodgers was not nominated for Original Song for doing “I Have Confidence” or “Something Good” after Oscar’s passing. They were written for the film. What gives? Anywho, I say it was a bad idea to do it as a sing-along with words on the screen and this from a person who’s been to Austria and gone on the Sound of Music tour partially for the express purpose of singing along to the soundtrack while visiting locations. I’m an adult and I wasn’t doing it while watching the film, I was doing it joyfully in the actual place having sought it out to do. This isn’t Frozen and it’s not Rocky Horror. It wouldn’t kill little kids to sit and watch and sing from their memories and/or enjoy the film. Put it on a dvd and let parents show that version if they feel like it. Still a bit annoying because again, Best Picture winner.

5. Jim J. says:

The original CSI moving to the Sunday death slot this season stopped me from watching Sunday Night Football, and I was only able to watch two full SNF games this season because of CSI originals being pushed off the schedule due to football overruns. Now its total viewership falls below 7 million or the first time? Get itself in danger of being cancelled without closure, devalue the series’s own legacy, devalue the whole CSI franchise. This has gotten me hoping that the new “Cyber” spinoff will be a ratings failure.

And now “CSI” has only six eps before the end of the current season to get at least a 1.5 in the demo. I’m betting the revenue “CSI” generates must outweigh the costs to produce it.

6. KCC says:

I loved the sing-a-long Sound Of Music. I hope that they do it every year!

7. HAP says:

Wow! More folks watch Undercover Boss than either The Mentalist or CSI. Weird.

8. Nana3 says:

I love the Sound of Music. Have no idea how many times I have watched it over the years but it was nice to see a sing along. The movie always has me shedding tears. It was 4 hours long but still enjoyed it over an over again.