Mike Colter to Play Marvel Hero Luke Cage in Netflix's Jessica Jones Series

Mike Colter Luke Cage Marvel

Mike Colter is going from Good Wife bad guy to superhero-for-hire.

Confirming weeks of speculation, Marvel announced on Monday that Colter will play Luke Cage, a street thug turned strength-enhanced hero, in the upcoming Netflix series AKA Jessica Jones, which stars Krysten Ritter.

Ostensibly (though not confirmed), Colter will later headline the Luke Cage standalone series that was originally announced as part of the Marvel/Netflix team-up, which kicks off with a Daredevil series starring Boardwalk Empire’s Charlie Cox, also gives Iron Fist his own show and culminates in a miniseries event that reimagines The Defenders, Marvel’s dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

“Fans have longed to see Luke Cage brought to life, and in Mike we’ve found the perfect actor,” Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb said in a statement. “Viewers will get to meet Luke Cage in Marvel’s AKA Jessica Jones, and experience why he is such an important super hero in the Marvel mythos.”

Colter’s other TV credits include Ringer, American Horror Story: Coven and The Following.

What do you think of Lemond Bishop doing right by society?

1. Jared says:

Marvel/Netflix couldnt have picked a better actor. Cant wait to watch!

2. Dennis says:

I thought Luke Cage was getting his own series

3. I still think Heroes for Hire would have made more sense than Defenders. These characters all sell their services.

• James says:

Maybe the MCU Defenders ARE the Heroes for Hire

• Dan says:

My guess is that they are just taking the name of one and the incarnation of the other, because “the Defenders” reminds people of “the Avengers” in the same Marvel context AND the group itself was pretty much the next in line to be adapted to anything (even if not with Dr Strange, Silver Surfer and Hulk and so on). We’ll call it “The Defenders”, but with a wink to old readers who know it’s actually Heroes for Hire. Smart marketing decision to use a different name.

4. James says:

OK cool, now recast Jessica Jones.

• lizo says:

ya really. I like Ritter well enough (held over affection from Veronica Mars) but I don’t know if she’s Jessica Jones. Going to watch anyways.

5. Part of me still would have liked Terry Crews

• herman1959 says:

I know, but he’s so good in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, don’t mess with perfection. Plus, he’s also doing a game show, he’s busy!

6. Luis says:

Perfect casting, a magnetic actor stepping into a larger than life role.

7. Steven says:

He makes me want to punch the TV everytime he appears on The Good Wife.

8. marco says:

Cool news. I don’t know this actor’s work, but I’m glad that Marvel has gotten the part(s) cast and is moving ahead. I do hope they do some crossover work with the Netflix shoes and SHIELD and the movies.

9. Joey Padron says:

Great casting. Can’t wait to see him as Luke Cage on Jessica Jones show!

10. A shame Ritter’s the star, I’m super cynical about that aspect. Haven’t liked too much of her work.

11. So Happy says:

In my mind, Mike Colter is so good at playing a bad guy. I will trust Marvel and give him a chance. I do think he’s a very good actor. :0)

12. Joey says:

Great casting. Always really liked Colter.

13. lizo says:

Awesome casting!! He’s an incredibly talented actor.

14. redjane12 says:

Colter has been amazing on The Good Wife so good for him. Can’t wait to see him on AKA and later on his own Luke Cage show