Ratings: Survivor Finale Tops Night, Sing-Off Slips, The 100 Ties Low

CBS’ Survivor Cycle 29 finale on Wednesday night drew 9.7 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, steady week-to-week but ticking down from its previous two closers.

That said, it dominated the night in both measures (and likely will tick up once 15 minutes of overrun is factored in). The reunion special retained 7.9 mil/1.9.

Over on NBC, the Michael Buble Christmas special (7.4 mil/1.3) popped 48 percent in audience versus last year while steady in the demo. The Sing-Off (5.1 mil/1.3) was down from both last December’s opener (8.4 mil/2.4, on a Monday) and its year-ago telecast (5.5 mil/1.6, on a Wednesday).

The CW’s winter finale for The 100 (1.4 mil/0.5) dipped 12 percent and a tenth leading out of some Greatest Commercials special (1.8 mil/0.5), matching its series low. Fox’s Hell’s Kitchen (3.6 mil/1.3) was steady,

1. Mark says:

The Sing-Off dropped because it was a non-event. Barely a competition, with the winners only having to do two performances for the judges.

• Alex says:

And no marketing either… I pretty much found out it was on last night because I saw it on my guide last night. Enjoyed the performances, but definitely wanted more!

• Iakovos says:

Am surprised SING-OFF did not get a 4-week stanza or weeklong run to build suspense as one does for a competition. Good show, good talent, entertaining. This would be a beter use of Fridays at 8 from late November through New Year’s than DATELINE, NBC. Just sayin’!

• Sarah T. says:

Agree. While I enjoyed last night’s show it really wasn’t a competition (like they’ve had before) because it was so short. Really wish NBC would turn this back into a 6 or 8 week run over the holidays like it was when it first came out. It’s such a good show.
      And please get Ben Folds when he’s not on tour, missed him!

• Denise says:

We also need the build up and the ability to watch the groups grow and evolve. Pentatonix was not my favorite on the first night but grew to be. This is a great show that they are mucking up.

2. Remy says:

The 100 dropped for it’s midseason finale??? It was a good episode too.

3. Moment says:

I would pay no attention to the ratings over the festive period. They won’t count against most established shows. Every network expects a drop.

4. Tran says:

Even though CBS hasn’t made a clear decision whether or not the next cycle of Survivor is going to be its last, are Moonves & Tassler still having second thoughts?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

What?

• Moment says:

Survivor is going nowhere Tran, you seem horribly confused about something. With its current numbers, it’ll go on for as long as CBS wants it too. It’s the perfect anchor for Wednesday nights.

• Tran says:

Survivor is still getting old and I’m sick and tired of having several long running prime time shows that won’t go away. I’m going all Jack Bauer if I have to and throw a temper tantrum. WARNING: don’t ever mock my line if you dare like that infamous “try not to get mad at me” one or perhaps someone should apologize to me and I really mean it because it always hurts my feelings.

5. Megan says:

the 100 episode was low last night because a lot of fans thought the mid season was last week. Cw doesn’t promote it at all too and it’s disappointing because it’s such a good show

6. Gerri says:

After that finale I am done with The 100. There are too few appealing characters already and they destroyed the best character and assassinated him. Booo.
    Survivor finale was a good one considering the less than stellar season. The right person won.

7. j says:

Last night Acension was opposite and also the !00, not to mention a new property brothers episode. Everything opposite all at once!

8. I’m Canadian so I don’t get CW so please, americans, watch the 100!!!

• Abby says:

Being Canadian, it doesn’t matter what you watch, because Canadian households aren’t part of the US ratings system. When we watch Greys on CTV, or Greys on the closest ABC affiliate, we’re at the mercy of US ratings either way.

9. Temperance says:

What they did to the usually excellent The Sing-off this year was appalling. I didn’t watch in protest. Seriously, there is NOTHING on TV right now, and the regular competition is the perfect thing to air this time of year.

10. Abby says:

Crap, I don’t feel good about The 100s renewal chances, which is really too bad because it takes creative chances that actually work!

11. Come on The 100…I love the show and it has great writing. I would hate to see it cancelled.