Survivor: San Juan del Sur Finale: Did the Right Contestant Win Season 29?

Survivor Finale

Ladies and gentlemen, after 13 weeks of blood, water sweat and tears, we have a new Survivor champion.

Five castaways remained at the top of Wednesday’s three-hour San Juan Del Sur finale/reunion combo — Natalie Anderson, Keith Nale, Missy Payne, Jaclyn Schultz and Baylor Wilson — ready to face whatever host Jeff Probst could throw their way.

Baylor’s mother Missy obviously faced the biggest challenge, heading into the final competitions with an injured foot, but the 47-year-old Texan wasn’t about to let it keep her from trying to win (even though she couldn’t compete in the season’s final immunity challenge, which Jaclyn won in a nail-biter).

After Baylor and Keith became the final jury members, though, only one woman could win the damn thing — and this season’s winner is… Natalie Anderson!

So… Did the right castaway win? And what did you think of Reed’s “Evil Stepmother” monologue? Vote for your winner-of-choice below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. Mike says:

YES! YES! YES!

2. Ari says:

I’ll give credit to the editors, they really had me worried Nat was going to get bitter juried out of a win.

3. crog says:

I wanted Keith to win. He moved way too slow during the final comp and just completely failed at the puzzle

4. Ron says:

Yay! The right person definitely won!

5. nosso site says:

Horm nio de crescimento HGH ou humano respons vel pela
    repara o mais dicas celular e reparação de pele, bem como as injeções?

6. Bill says:

I wanted Keith or Wes to win but the person who played the best game did win.

7. Totally the right winner! Made this season move up a few slots in my book.

• dan says:

Agree! The last few weeks of episodes made the season better, although it is still a mediocre season by Survivor standards. After Josh, Jeremy and Reed were all voted out, I was rooting for Nat. I would’ve been ok w/Keith winning, but I’m glad the evil stepmother only got one vote from her bratty daughter (paraphrasing Reed, of course).

8. bj says:

Did I miss something or was their no fan favorite award this year.

• Gayle Scott says:

I so wanted Keith to win the fan favorite. Didn’t realize they haven’t had one in the last few years. CBS should sponsor the favorite or find another company to sponser. That was a great part of the finale I really miss. I have been watching from day one.

9. bj says:

Did I miss something or was there no fan favorite award this year.

10. Christine Wilson says:

This is the first survivor I felt was rigged. Even at the end with the gay Christians. No one cares about them and are sick of hearing about it. It should stick to the last4-5 people that were left. After reeds rant against missy he comes off like the spoiled child and his comment about his rant was prob planned out by producer producers. I know it has to be entertaining

• JEst says:

Don’t confuse you and some others not caring with “no one” The world doesn’t’ revolve around just your views

• Lori says:

First of all – There is no such thing as a gay Christian. A Christian believes in the Holy Bible. The gay lifestyle is the opposite of the Bible beliefs. I agree this has nothing to do with Survivor.

• Ben says:

There are plenty of gay Christians – to think otherwise is incredibly naive. By the way, the bible also points out that there is not one person (other than Jesus) who has ever lived an entirely biblical lifestyle. If you don’t understand the message of grace that is at the whole core of the bible and God’s choice to see Jesus die on the cross, then you are missing the point.

• Lori says:

Just because someone says they are a Christian – doesn’t make them a Christian. You need to read in the Bible: Romans 1:26-32 and Leviticus 18:22

• Ben says:

And you should read the verses that come literally directly after Romans 1:26-32.

• Normandy says:

Leviticus only applied to the priests at the time and are no longer valid. Every educated bible scholar knows this. Are you educated at all?

• ... says:

Watch the movie Fish Out of Water. It dispels all the hatred and bigotry that you’re trying to spread, you brainwashed heathen.

• Et al says:

You’re a moron. It’s a pity there’s no magical sky daddy to punish you for your unchristian hatred.

• Common Sense says:

There’s no such thing as “the gay lifestyle.” Feel free to speak to an actual gay person about this if you need further clarification.

• Dave says:

I recon millions of Lutherans, Episcopalians, Unitarians, and Presbyterians would disagree.

• Normandy says:

Lori- sorry, but there are actually millions of gay Christians. You’re an unbelievable bigoted fool/ EVERY Christian is a sinner and gays are no different. Now please stop being a moronic ignoramus and embrace your gay brethren or face the fires of hell. Shame on you!

• Tmj says:

You CANT be a Christian and promote homosexuality! You can be a gay Christian as well as a murdering Christian. But you can’t promote it because if you don’t know homosexuality is a horrid sin, you don’t need a savior, if you don’t need a savior, your not a Christian. Know God before you post something like that.

• Willie says:

Sexual preference does not exclude someone from confessing JESUS CHRIST as their Lord and Savior.There are many sins including judgment,but there is only one to keep you out of heaven and sexual preference is not it! And no I’m not a homosexual,a homophobic or judgemental,that’s not my job.Only GOD can and will judge us all.I am a heterosexual female and a Christian.

• carl43m says:

Liviticus has something bad to say about gays -but then he condemned marrying outside your own tribe and not marrying a widow-so he is full of crap on all things he says. Did you ever see jesus say anything about gays? If being gay was so horrible you would think Christ would have mentioned it or that it would have been outlawed in 10 commandments. Take your crazy view of Christianity and go fly a kite!

• Domanion says:

That’s a very ignorant statement. The Bible makes it clear that it is not by works, but by faith. Living a Christian life is another argument for another day, but someone’s status as Christian or not is not determined by works.

• Connor says:

Ma’am, with all due respect, which is almost none, I think its a little 18th century to be righteous about what defines a ‘Christian’, hell, I’m a confirmed Christian, (straight, by the way, not that it matters, just to prove that we aren’t all bigoted), and god knows I’m not very good at being one in the biblical sense, but isn’t the entire premise of Christianity to treat our neighbours as ourselves, actually, by heavens, ITS ONE OF THE 10 COMMANDMENTS, WOW. To demean an entire community and take away their right to identify themselves as Christian, doesn’t sound very Christian to me.

• Ben says:

There is a difference between the show being ‘rigged’ and the rants being planned by producers. Contestants are usually asked what it is they want to ask/say at final tribal, and producers yea or nay it. Of course, they are going to say yea to rants.

• Dave says:

On the contrary, Reeds rant against Missy was epic. It even took Baylors breath away. In the end, was he right? Ill let you decide – Missy got just one vote.

• NP79 says:

Reed managed to put into words what I thought about Missy from the beginning. I did not like her or Baylor. Reed tagged them exactly as what I saw at home in my recliner.

• dan says:

Although Reed’s rant was a little dramatic and over the top, his characterization of Missy was correct (based on the edit we saw throughout the season). I also thought his explanation during the reunion was valid: he was commenting on the “character” of Missy in the game because he doesn’t know Missy out of the game.

• RJK says:

Concerning Missy…There’s an OLD saying: “Wherever you go, there you are.”
            Personally, I liked both Missy and Baylor
            Natalie played the best game. She certainly did:
            outwit-outlast-outplay them all.
            Concerning homo-christianity…
            When Jeff said, “Just ask my mom” I immediately questioned if he was Gay.
            I wish he would put that question to rest once and for all.

• carl43m says:

I have no problem with people making good moves but Missy made a point of touting that she was a loyal person throughout the game but she didn’t stay true to John when he had always been true to her. Didn’t she eat a lot of rice when she arrived at the new camp –Reed’s comments were harsh but true.

• JP says:

That is exactly what I said to my wife as I was watching. As awkward as it was, he hit the nail on the head. Especially his point about her letting the minor alliance know where it stood. Baylor was a brat and Missy defending her doesn’t teach her right from wrong.

11. Christine Wilson says:

I know this is entertainment but when you can tell that a challenge was blown it makes me not care about missing my fav show. It was clear Keith should havewon the last challenge. Nat deserves the win due to producers and editing. The end comments about the gay christians is so stupid. Reed made his rant against missy and the says it was how he saw her in the game. Well you come off as the spoiled child now. I think now that I am figuring this all out I’m not going to worry about missing a show or two anymore. Although the white blue or no collar looks fun. It sucks you back in!

• Hannah says:

Reeds comments to Missy were spot on. And have you never watched this show before? People blow challenges ALL the time. Thats the reason theres a puzzle and physical part of that last challenge. Just because you’re good at one doesn’t mean you’re good at the other. I liked Keith, I really did but the right person DID win the game. Editing in favor for a contestant does indeed happen but they can only work with what they get and Natalie played a fantastic game. Everyone on this show ALWAYS talks about making big moves but never do. Natalie actually acted on her thoughts and pulled off huge news. As far as the :gay christians”. Again have you never watched a reunion? Jeff usually asks things to every contestant that is relevant to them and that was. Sorry you come off a tad homophobic and didn’t want to watch that part.

• Ben says:

Editing in favour of the winner happens BECAUSE they won. They don’t win because editing is in their favour. They don’t want it to seem as though their winner wasn’t deserving.

(Not saying there is no opportunity for producers to influence outcomes. Idol on exile, for instance. But I didn’t ever see Natalie get the benefit of it).

• dan says:

What editing? Keith blew the puzzle at the end. He even mumbled something like “I couldn’t figure that out” or “I was never going to get that” after Jacquline won.

12. wrstlgirl says:

Nat was the only one of the final three who deserved the win. Missy couldn’t even compete and was literally carried to the end. Jaylyn’s ego has her believing she actually deserved it when if it weren’t for Jon she would have been gone before the merge.

13. I have never seen a season when a player gets medical attention and then been able to stay in the game. I believe that Missy should have been removed after she had sought the medical attention. In seasons passed the survivors whom had medical attention were taken out of the game. I believe that this was an injustice to the integrity of the whole survivor series.

• Sabrina says:

Agreed! I was thinking the same thing!

• Jennifer says:

Agree completely!

• sasksleddog says:

The fact is that Missy refused medical withdrawal (to X-Ray) the ankle. Her injury was not life threatening, which has been the cause for others to be pulled from the game. In the past we’ve seen others sit out challenges due to injuries and stay in the game. It can be argued that Missy should have been pulled, but the medical professional attached to the production clearly decided that Missy was fit enough to be given the option to continue. Unless the show changes its rules they cannot force her out for sitting out challenges.

• Ben says:

I agree. I don’t think there was anything inconsistent here.

• dan says:

Jeff Probst has explained this in interviews. If Missy’s injury had happened earlier in the game she probably would’ve been pulled. However, they were close to the end and the medical director (doctor) felt her injury wasn’t life threatening so he couldn’t pull her for that reason. It was Missy’s decision to stay. I give her credit for staying, but I’m glad she didn’t win. I thought her speech at the final Tribal Council was better than I expected, even though she had no chance of swaying the jury for votes.

• cindy says:

I think Jeff said that if medical attention gave them an advantage, then you have to be pulled. (giving someone fluids because they are dehydrated) Since this clearly didn’t give her an advantage, because she couldn’t compete in some challenges, then it was OK. Apparently they see medical for other things during the show, they just don’t show it because they see them and then just go back to the game. He mentioned lancing a boil, putting a bandage on it and then sending them back.

• RJK says:

I agree…
      If a player can’t “compete” then they should be removed from the game.
      Being dragged along by other players isn’t outwitting-outlasting or outplaying anyone…!

• RJK says:

I wanted to add:
        Survivor shouldn’t make challenges so that a person can break a leg or ankle…
        The challenge that Missy broke her ankle on was an accident waiting to happen especially for an older women…imho…

• Kathy says:

That is so true she should have been taken out of the game. It really wasn’t fair to the other players that she got to sit out of the most important games to get to the end. She should have never been in the final three she didn’t earn it at all.

14. Karen says:

No fan favorite?

15. Et al says:

It took 20-something seasons but somebody finally beat Sue Hawk’s snake/rat speech. The evil stepmother speech was epic.

• Jane says:

I completely agree! Between that and Josh’s speech at the beginning of the game about how Survivor was like a Broadway show are two moments that will forever be in my top favorites of all the seasons of Survivor!

• carl43m says:

Sue Hawks was a vengeful jerk–Reeds rant was classy and clever.

16. mary lou says:

i wanted you to win nat and you did thank god…you played game the way it should be played..ive been watching for years and years and you my freind are the best player…take care and happy hoildays

17. Laurie says:

Love Survivor! Go Nat!!!

18. If you told me I’d be rooting for Natalie at the end, I would call you a liar.

• Scotty says:

Oh I totally agree, hated her on amazing race, but on this she was smart and entertaining.

• carl43m says:

I hated her on amazing race and rooted for he to get voted off for most of the show, However, being away from her sister she came across as very astute–able to keep her true feelings in control and orchestrated big moves–as well as do very well in challenges. I have new respect for her

• anne says:

so true! hearing them say the word “twinnie” annoys the hell out of me. glad nadiya was voted out first, cause natalie’s game play would have affected her if she played with twinnie. she’s one of the best female strategist, next to parvati.. very smart plays. 3 successive blindside. wow.

• Izzie says:

Natalie and her sister were beyond annoying on the amazing race. I think they played it twice, and more annoying both times. But on survivor, Natalie was very likable and deserve the win.

19. Tmj says:

Survivor acts like there is 1 in 10 homosexuals, when it’s not even close

20. Tmj says:

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
    For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

• carl43m says:

is this the same caring just god who sent angels to kill the first born of a tribe that offended him–sort of the same type of being that is the Taliban that murdered 140 children a few days ago because they didn’t like their military fathers? I think the bible is written by men who think they know what a god might want but do not have any direct input from god. Writers of the bible talk about god like a tough ruling king– supposedly we have free will but then we hear how god will force us to our knees to honor him–what b..s. is that. If there is a god who made the whole universe I don’t think he gives a hoot about having to bring anyone to their knees or condemning people for a gay lifestyle. There are a lot of hetrosexuals who are just plain nasty people and lots of homosexuals who actually live a life of honor and integrity –I don’t think a loving ogod will abandon them.

21. maritoni says:

i want keith to win…..

22. Linda says:

I believe the right person won Survivor this season…. “Nat”!! She “played” the game!! In all my years of watching Survivor I have never seen where the alliances were not solid. It was interesting to see those who thought they had the game “sew up” get blindsided and they were voted OUT!!
    I thought it was a very good and interesting season. The uncertainty alone kept me coming back each week. CONGRATULATIONS NATALIE, YOU DID THAT!!!

23. John says:

No quit in any finalist. Missy won my vote for her keeping her word when the rest couldn’t.

• carl43m says:

she helped blindside John and after he gave up his reward to mom and daughter could do reward together–where is her loyalty there? Selective remembering.

24. Caleb says:

Thanks for the 100-word recap. Don’t put too much effort into it, ok?

25. John Moshier says:

good ending love reed calling out missy that was right on

26. Lynn Lincoln says:

Absolutely whatever your belief system, No one can judge another person belief system. That is to be left only in God’d hands. You cannot even judge yourself. However, I personally take responsibility to follow Catholic teaching, BUT the greatest law in Scripture, is Love. Loving others not where you wish they were, but where they are in life. The rest is always in God’s hands. By the way, I fail everyday of my life in expressing Gods love to others.

27. Nexy says:

Natalie hands-down deserved to be the winner by a landslide. She beat the odds stacked up high against her -having a target on her back from being a previous “AR” contestant (twice), sister voted off first, having an alliance w Jeremy (big threat to most), and being outnumbered as a single in a couple of scenarios through out the game. She scrambled with great finess. She was the most strategic of the final 6 and still come out as to being the most likable in her character and how she played the game. Congrats Nat!

28. Ralph E. Boy says:

Of Course Natalie won … she was the smartest and the HOTtest!!! PS most of the world’s people are not Christian and accept gays for who they are. There is no invisible man in the sky.

29. Talen says:

Natalie definitely entered to play the game.

30. Denise Love says:

Why do you have to draw for spots, is one better than the other and really big, why do you have to tally the votes. Why cant you just call them out as you pull them out, all seems totally fair.

Denise Love

31. H.Houston says:

Reed’s speech for me will go down as one of the best finale speeches ever. I know there are some whining about how it was mean… no dears, that would be TRUTH you’re seeing and hearing.

32. g says:

I’ve watched every episode from season one. Once Kieth blew the final challenge the winner was obvious. Jaclyn had no chance at winning but it would have been more interesting if both Nat and kieth were in final three. Nat was right and knew it would be tougher against keith so her final great move was swaying his elimination (as well as the other blindsides – keith”s elimination wasn’t a blindside).

Would have also been interesting if Taylor, Missy and a thirst person were in the finals. I suspect, Nat, Kieth or jaclyn could have beaten them both.

When show started wanted Nat and sis eliminated. Hated them on TAR with the “twinnie”” thing and glad they lost both seasons. Here alone Nat seemed to work better. She clearly was the best player (or smarter player – heck how could John and Jaclyn actually believe theri was a miscommunication when Alec was voted off!).

Reed’s speech was over the top since it was clear Missy had no chance to win anyway. But it got him a place in Survivor final speech lore up with Sue hawk.

Suggestion if they ever do this blood water thing again…any loved one on the jury who has a loved one in the final cannot vote! Since their vote will obviously be totally biased.

33. gloria says:

Natalie played the best game , kinda reminded of Russell(He really knew how to play the game. .My second chose is Keith. He played a good fir game. I didn’t care for the gay couple, esp. the one that pick on Baylor and Missy. He so mean.

34. Sharon says:

Natialie deserved to win. She played a good game. Actually she is better without her sister because together they are annoying

35. Pam Werner says:

Why was there no $100k fan favorite winner this year on Survivor????
    It should have been Keith :)

36. Kaye Tippett says:

I always find it ironic when people display such incredibly unchristian-like behavior and still have the gall to call themselves Christians! It’s freaking hilarious. I wasn’t a huge fan of Missy but she didn’t deserve all that! I guess Reed confused being on the jury with being a judge. Then, of course, he defended what he did by saying it was his opinion of her within the context of “the game.” Well answer this, Reed — are you a Christian all the time or just outside the context of the game? Because what you did within the context of the game was far from Christian. Not quite sure how you reconcile that with your Christian beliefs. The saddest part is some are calling him a role model??? Whatever.

37. Graison says:

Definitely nat deserved 2 win…her game play,the kickass performance in challanges n the bloody blindsides surely made her the badass n the apt one for the title of survivor..she was jz bang on n bloody super cool…love ya nat..