The Voice Season 7 Finale Recap: Did the Right Artist Win? Plus — Best & Worst Moments!

Let me begin this recap with a bold prediction: Season 7 of The Voice, despite being the weakest in the history of NBC’s singing competition, will be the first to launch a chart-topping, stadium-filling superstar.

I will stop short, however, of predicting which contestant gets the job done for the only reality franchise where the slightest hint of negativity is greeted by producers in Hazmat suits, sealed in plastic biohazard bins and shipped to landfills in deepest New Jersey. (I live in the Garden State, so that joke is officially not offensive.)

I mean, let’s face it: At noon today, 7 of the top 11 slots on the iTunes Top 100 singles chart were occupied by members of the Season 7 Top 4 (Chris Jamison, Matt McAndrew, Craig Wayne Boyd and Damien). And if you factor in Pharrell Williams’ commitment to fostering the careers of Top 12 finishers Sugar Joans and DaNica Shirey — both of whom straight kilt/killed it during their respective trio of finale performances — The Voice now has a sextet of powerhouses manning the battering ram that could finally bring down radio resistance to its alumnae’s post-show success. (Then again, if Amanda Brown is not yet a household name, is there anything that makes sense in this messed-up world?)

Before we get to the big news — the Season 7 results — let’s hand out a few awards based on Tuesday night’s grand finale.

The Voice - Season 7PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT: Jessie J and Chris Jamison, “Masterpiece”
You could tell by the way she’d sometimes stop and smile in appreciation, that the British pop sensation was delighted by her duet partner’s breezy soulfulness and superstar swagger — but that didn’t mean she held back one bit on her own beastmaster-level vocals. I loved that this one felt like a true duet — fueled by mutual respect — and without a single bad note in the mix.

MISSING IN ACTION TROPHY: Reagan James, Jessie Pitts and James David Carter
Not sure what #TeamBlake’s trio of contestant did to deserve the cold shoulder, but after the episode’s completely ineffectual Top 20 group rendition of “Pompeii,” these contestants were apparently escorted out of the building by NBC security with a box of Rice-a-Roni and a “thanks for participating!” certificate from Mark Burnett.

MOST UNEXPECTED GROUPING: Craig Wayne Boyd’s “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” Callback Performance
I wouldn’t have expected the country crooner to gravitate toward R&B divas, but dude’s choice of DaNica and Sugar – along with fellow Nashville striver Taylor Brashears — resulted in one of the evening’s most lovely surprises. Am I the only one who prefers him on Southern Rock jams than on twangier fare?

FAVORITE MOMENT THAT HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROCEEDINGS
Hozier’s “Take Me to Church” is welcome anytime, any place — but how come Mark Burnett & Co. didn’t push to get a couple of early evictees on background-vocal duty?

LEAST FAVORITE MOMENT THAT HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROCEEDINGS
Ditto for Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” — except unlike Hozier, his new single has no discernible hook!

The Voice - Season 7BEST REMINDER OF THE SHOW’S “THIS IS THE VOICE” CATCHPHRASE: “Bang Bang”
Not only did Sugar, Danica, Jean Kelley, Mia Pfirrman and Bryana Salaz look stunning in their slinky red dresses, but they all managed to bring Jessie J-level ferocity to the “OMG, I think I’ve heard this enough” summer-song sensation. Well played, ladies!

PERFORMANCE TOTALLY UPSTAGED BY GOLD ACCESSORIES
Oh how I wish Chris Jamison had covered Lloyd’s delectable “Dedication to My Ex” during the voting rounds — he might’ve pulled off the win had Adam made it Chris’ Live Playoffs jam (instead of that impossible Ed Sheeran rap). Alas, though, the gold-clad backup dancers who weaved in and around Chris’s pals — Ryan Sill, Taylor Phelan, Ricky Manning and Luke Wade — wound up attracting more attention than the hodge-podge of mismatched voices to which they writhed.

PERFORMANCE NOT AT ALL UPSTAGED BY GOLD ACCESSORIES
Ten seconds in to Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson’s “Uptown Funk,” I decided it was best to ignore the R&B powerhouse’s gold-leaf curlers (!) and just allow myself to sink neck-deep in his groove. Best decision I made all night.

LEAST GRACIOUS DUET PARTNER
Matt McAndrew sounded great on Fallout Boy’s “Centuries,” but the band’s failure to welcome (or even look at) the fledgling rock star from his “stage left” prison and truly incorporate him into their performance was a major turn-off. Patrick Stump, this is not how you get reality singing fans to follow you to The Sing-Off later this week on NBC!

The Voice - Season 7BEST REMINDER THAT WINNING ISN’T EVERYTHING
OK, so last week’s Wild Card recipient Damien couldn’t quite match the intensity of va-va-va-voom Jennifer Hudson on her new single “It’s Your World.” But despite her origins as an American Idol also-ran, J.Hud’s behemoth of a vocal — and her totally rockin’ bod — reminded the Jean Kelleys and Troy Ritchies and Brittany Butlers of the world that other-worldly talent (fueled by hard work) can be unstoppable. Side note: Dear Santa, if I keep going to cardio-kickboxing, can I be J.Hud for Halloween next year?

NICEST VOCAL BLEND: “Go Your Own Way”
It’s no small accomplishment to plunk five solo artists in front of 15 million viewers and say “sound cohesive!” But Matt’s callback performance — in which he was joined by Taylor Phelan, Mia Pfirrman, Sugar Joans and Taylor John Williams — was undeniably smooth and mellifluous. Then again, if there’s a way to make “Go Your Own Way” sound terrible, I’m not aware of it. (Somewhere, there’s a scientific experiment starring Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton just waiting to be funded.)

OK, time for the actual results…

4th Place: Damien (Team Adam)
3rd Place: Chris Jamison (Team Adam)
2nd Place: Matt McAndrew (Team Adam)
Winner: Craig Wayne Boyd (Team Blake)

The Voice - Season 7Holy upset, Xtina! Craig didn’t quite have himself the moment-moment that Chris (“Cry Me a River”) or Matt (“Wasted Love”) achieved on Monday — and he only had one of his tunes crack the iTunes Top 10 within the subsequent 12 hours — but his underdog story, his connection to undeniably genuine Blake, his adorable son, his season-long consistency and very appealing makeover — plus a tearjerker final performance of Alabama’s “In Pictures” — proved a lethal combo. Not only that, but pop fans and Adam fans may have split their votes two or even three ways on Monday, while Craig benefitted from being the only Team Blake-ster and the only country artist in the mix.

On that note, I turn it over to you. What did you think of The Voice season finale? Did the right artist win? And who will go on to have the greatest post-show success? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Mike says:

I’m okay with Craig, but Goddamn, Matt (and most especially Chris) terribly (terribly) WON last NIGHT. I feel bad for Adam. Wow.

2. Cindy says:

I liked both Matt and Craig – I really thought Matt had it when Chris came in third. I was very surprised that Craig won, but it’s all good. Good season.

• JM1 says:

They packed a season’s worth of amazing performances by both contestants and guests into one show – wowza.

Thought Matt had this one! Not mad at Craig tho’, he worked hard for this. Never underestimate Blake’s power… those votes for CWB were surely in part votes for Blake himself.

• Just what I said before I read you said it. This is a vote for Blake, not that there’s anything wrong with that… or is it?

• Ginger Snap says:

I am not a Blake fan. I loved CWB. He has a certain charisma that the others lack.

• Meme says:

Definitely Craig has something special all his own and has nothing to do with Blake. I love CWB and I also love Chris Jamison. I’m really not sure what all the Matt hubba was about except that there was a lot of subconscious infiltration coming from Adam all season that made me think Matt must be the winner. I’m glad he wasn’t although I’m sure he’ll still have a successful music career ahead with Adam by his side.

3. analythinker says:

Oh well. Congrats, Craig!

I just want to say three things:
    – The girl group singing Bang Bang = can they stay together as a group??
    – Chris & Jessie J = now THAT’s a duet!
    – Please, if I see a “Adam had 3, Blake still beat him” comment…

• Mike says:

Adam had 3, Blake still beat him……..

hihihi.. ><

• Greg says:

“he girl group singing Bang Bang = can they stay together as a group??” = They actually WERE pretty great!

• Jeff Marley says:

Agreed!!! DaNica and Sugar dominated that group!!! And they had the most performances of the night!!! Love them so much and wish them all the love and luck in the world!!! 😃😃😃

• HTGR says:

Rather a shame DaNica, Sugar, Reagan were all cut practically before the lives started.

• analythinker says:

LOVE DaNica’s look too!

• Jeff Marley says:

She looked kinda like jesse a little bit, otherwise she NAILED her craig group performance, Damien’s, and Bang bang!!! 😃 I wish her all the luck in the world to get a great record deal, maybe pharrel?

• Greg says:

DaNica was just superb on every single performance she was a part of and stood out among the groups. Sugar also did very well and seemed to improve a lot over the season.

• Jon says:

So true about DaNica — these were her best performances all season. She was relaxed and in great voice. Ditto for Sugar — she normally annoys me but I thought she was very good tonight. Maybe Pharrell is on to something after all with her…

• Hal says:

DaNica showed vocal range and power, coupled with versatility in style. Her presentation is great… shows a REAL love for the music. Someone smart enough to sign her to a good contract and allow her the freedom to perform multi-genre songs will make out like a bandit (as the saying goes).

• Brenda Slatt says:

I 100% agree with your comment. DaNica and sugar were awesome. I really thought Da Nicas last chance would have most definitely kept her going. Da Nica has a beautiful voice and was very good hitting her notes. Here is my feelings about this entire show….. Does not matter who won, came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect. The ones whom are very good and strive for their dreams and focus on what they really want, will prevail. All the voice does is promotes them for their dream and future. I totally have respect and love the TEAM on the Voice. Does anyone remember the number where Carrie Underwood finished, when she was on American Idol??? God Bless to all whom do succeed in their Dream!!!!!!

• JM1 says:

Actually, I think we ALL remember where Carrie Underwood finished: FIRST. :-)

But yes, you are correct – it’s all about what they do with this chance from here on out.
            Hope we hear more out of them!

• Greg says:

You should have used Daughtry as your example. I’m pretty sure he was out mid season or something like that.

• Penny Wolf says:

I am amazed that neither Sugar nor Danica was in the finals. Both of them blew the guys out of the water in terms of sheer voice talent. As a musician/writer talent, Matt McAndrew was definitely the best of the four finalists.

• The Beach says:

If Pharrell had given her some current songs like she sang tonight instead of 40 year old ones DaNica might have stuck around much longer.

• so true beach, and if they decided on one look. She finished blonde and now she has black hair. They didn’t handle her songs and her look correctly or she could have stayed around. Aloha

• U-gal says:

Yes, her look always threw me off. I know its a show about the voice but she should try to look her age. For heaven sakes she is 25 with an amazing voice, she should look it.

• Tammy says:

My husband rarely pays attention when I put this on. He even said “that girl on the end is the best one” and he was referring to Sugar. He did kind of question the whole curlers in the hair for Bruno Mars too.

• gracelessk says:

Blake may have beat him because Adam had three. Don’t get me wrong, I like Craig a lot, but I think Matt and Chris split votes because the target the same demographic.

• Mike says:

But those ” same demographic” can both vote the same number of times for Matt & Chris right? Country vote is just so massive. Man.

• Scout says:

I always find it interesting when people think that voters only vote in “their” favorite genre. I voted for Craig ’cause I liked his voice the best. The country thing wasn’t really a factor for me. I think Matt lost some votes because of that Somewhere-over-the-rainbow monstrosity. But whatever, it was a great show. I hope they all do well in their careers.

• ummm says:

You may have done that, but the country fans don’t.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, absolutely. I firmly believe Matt would have won had Over the Rainbow never happened. That move cost him the title.

• Brendan says:

Exactly. The country/conservative voters always stick together. We see it happen on DWTS all the time when a clearly less talented but more conservative cast member makes it to the finale. The only difference here is that Craig is actually talented and other people outside the core block voted for him too, that’s why he won.

• Ginger Snap says:

Ummm. Don’t make assumptions. I felt the same way. CWB was my favorite the whole season. It had nothing to do with Blake.
            Perhaps you should give credit to Blake for making smarter choices when he picks members of his team.

• Al says:

Being country/conservative doesn’t mean we’re stupid or can’t recognize talent. I am huge country fan and hope Craig has a successful career, but I voted for Chris because I thought he was the best.

• Jon says:

Mike, based on random Twitter comments last night I think a lot of viewers thought they had a total of 10 votes to spread among ALL the contestants — not 10 per artist, or 40 votes total. So a lot of people who liked Matt AND Chris may have given each 5 votes, instead of the actual 10 votes each they could have cast. Just my theory…

• Mike says:

I’m actually confused about this. Anybody can clear this? Is it 10 votes per singer ONLY. Or 10 votes for all singers?

• analythinker says:

It’s a matter of clicking the + and the – tho, when it reaches 10, the + button is not clickable anymore. Pretty silly if they stop at 5 when the button is still clickable.

• Ginger Snap says:

So, mathematically, it’s the same impact if you give 5 to each or 10 to each. It matters if you give 9 to one and 10 to another.
            At this point in the competition, people chose the singer they wanted to win.

• Jon says:

Mike, let’s say your method of voting is through the Voice app. After the performance show, you could have voted 10 times for Matt, 10 times for Chris, 10 times for CWB AND 10 times for Damien — and ALL your votes would have counted.

I really think Carson needs to clarify this ON AIR next season…

• analythinker says:

They’re pretty different, though. My observation is that country fans value voting via other methods more while fans of other genres feel that voting by buying songs is enough. But that’s just my perspective.

• Ginger Snap says:

Or it means the average voter has figured out not to spend their money on iTunes. Every one of these songs is available on YouTube.

• Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

I said the same thing. Only one guy in the country lane, with 2-3 in the R&B/pop lane means the country guy wins.

• JM1 says:

Blake’s fans had only one guy to vote for. Adam’s fans had their choice of three. Do the math and there you have it.

• Ginger Snap says:

More to the point. They had one excellent choice because the other 3 on Blake’s team were kinda blase. Adam put forward 3 very good performers who had issues.
          It only takes one charismatic singer to get the job done. Adam’s team lacked charisma.

• Mary says:

In your eyes, personally All of them had talent but Craig had no more charisma then the rest of them. He sounds like all the other country dudes out there. I wish him luck, but maybe there is a reason he hasn’t made it.

• Scout says:

Gawd, I LOVE Jessie J. She is just the epitome of cool. And her voice is divine. And yes, Bang Bang was dope!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ve always loved Jessie J, but tonight made me a legitimate fan. She was so good.

• Jon says:

Jessie J was great! And she seemed to really enjoy singing with Chris (who was also terrific). In fact, all the guest singers were really good with their respective Voice singers. Lynyrd Skynyrd looked like they were ready to offer Craig a contract!

I was a little nervous about Jennifer Hudson — she was giving serious stankface backstage — but she and Damien knocked it out of the park as well.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Seriously, what was that stankface? She looked like she was about to go full-blown Mega Streisand on us.

• Jon says:

Right? And JHud seemed a little chilly through the first half of the performance, before warming up and inviting Damien in. Didn’t throw him, though– he held his own, IMO.

• The Beach says:

When they finished she also gave that “I’m so very bored” look.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed. They sounded great! But I hope JHud wasn’t going for “approachable” tonight. lol I don’t care if she’s the nastiest of the nasty, because with a voice like hers, she can pull off any attitude she wants. That instrument of hers is glorious.

• Sharon says:

She also looked very cranky right after they finished singing. My guess is that she was afraid she was going to fall out of her dresslet both fore and aft. My husband was hoping…

• JM1 says:

I was hoping JHud’s demeanor was just part of the performance. I’m still not sure! Maybe they told her she’d be singing solo?

• HTGR says:

Yeah Jessie J is cool. Nobody like her will even win on a U.S. singing contest though. Her type only has a prayer on the overseas versions.

• Angie_Overrated says:

YES on the Bang Bang girl group! DaNica and Sugar were rocking my world on that song. Such a good song to begin with and huge shoes to fill vocally, and they nailed it.

I was laughing while watching it imagining Reagan trying to sing it.

• analythinker says:

Glad I saved myself from that picture, heh. Did you pray? Because Reagan & Jessie didn’t sing tonight… :D

• Angie_Overrated says:

lol I didn’t even notice! I was half working and half watching the show. But seriously, if you were a finalist and wanted to sound good, would those two have been high on your list to bring back?

• analythinker says:

You know my answer. It’s more “don’t ruin my parade” than “don’t rain on it”.

• Jon says:

Angie, speaking of questionable singing, what did you think of the Coaches’ performance tonight (and specifically Gwen’s contribution)?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ok, Jon. I’ll try to keep this short, but WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WITH THE KEY!?!?!?!?!?! As soon as I heard the opening arpeggio I was like “oh man, this is not going to go well.” It’s hard to knock them for their vocals given how insane the key was. It made no sense.

• Jon says:

LOL! Angie, your musical knowledge is SO welcome on this board. All I kept thinking was that all the coaches were singing in different keys and Gwen was a mess. (Although–just being shallow–she looked AMAZEBALLS in that red dress.)

• Scout says:

I’m glad they spared us Reagan’s singing tonight. And yes – Sugar and DaNica rocked the house down tonight. I actually like them together – more than I like them solo. Interesting…

• JT says:

You sure are a hater, huh? Reagan was breathy at the end and her song choice terrible, but many people had her as a favorite early on with good reason. You don’t seem to have a good understanding of vocal textures at all!

• Steven says:

That means nothing cuz Adams fans could plinth vote. We’ve seen repeatedly country fans vote in droves. I only watched this week # & chose Matt but could see Craig do well since he’s obviously been performing for a long time.

• Jon says:

@analythinker, 100% agree. The VoiceGirls SLAYED Bang Bang and need to stay together and become the new En Vogue (kids, Google ’em). Damien & JHud were great together (and he almost matched her). And that Chris & Jessie J duet was so good that I want the single NOW. Overall, great night of music, even if my Chris didn’t win…

• Syretha says:

Ditto analythinker.

• U-gal says:

I think Danica is an excellent singer, one of the best in the whole world but she looks way older than 25 and dresses like an old woman.

4. Kim Moores (revealed to be Angie_Overrated) says:

Chris and Jessie J were flipping awesome.
    That is all. While I’m not gonna be upset with the winner forever…I still had my preferences.

• analythinker says:

Kim/Angie, I’m with ya!

My doppelganger!
      Wow, we didn’t see the Craig win coming, did we? I knew it would be a possibility — one I was theoretically ok with — but I didn’t think it would happen. And now that it’s happened, I’m totally happy for the guy. Well earned!

• Kim Moores (revealed to be Angie_Overrated) says:

We didn’t mind it…but we definitely didn’t have it as the ideal turn out.
        Still, our 2nd husband sang terrficly with Jessie J and I’m certain that’s bound to have labels hollering for him. All is well.

• analythinker says:

Ah to the men.

• Angie_Overrated says:

For such a bad season, it is almost unbelievable to think that there could be a legitimate recording artist from this group of finalists. It took a long time to get rid of the crappy singers, but once we finally gave them the heave-ho, it was a shockingly decent ending.

• Kim Moores (revealed to be Angie_Overrated) says:

I think Reagan and Jessie simply dragged everyone down.
            Hence why they dropped the deadweights tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I know you weren’t a huge fan of Damien, but you have to admit he at least SOMEWHAT held his own against the Mighty (yes, you have capitalize “mighty”) JHud. It was a lot better than I was expecting.

• Kim Moores (revealed to be Angie_Overrated) says:

Agreed. Damien held his own against JHud….and that didn’t sit well with her so she upped the ante LOL

• Angie_Overrated says:

Man, when that lady wales, people listen. That voice of hers commands your full and undivided attention.

• Jon says:

Angie, the ONLY thing I will disagree on is that I don’t think the singers overall were that bad this year — I think they got rid of some of the best ones early on. I’m STILL reeling over Pharrell dropping Maiya and Taylor Phelan…

• JM1 says:

My husband has not stopped watching Jessie J videos on youtube since the show. Hehe.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Your husband AND I. :) I’ve got a lot to catch up on here. This girl is blowing my mind. So good. I had Bang Bang blasting on my Bose sound dock pretty much all summer, and it’s time to add a few more of her songs to the list.
        I think I conveniently ignored her for that earlier song with those horrible lyrics like ‘it’s ok not to be ok” but I have now put that behind me. I still really REALLY hate that song. And I’m not going to bother to look up the title because I don’t want to lose that lovin’ feelin’.

• JM1 says:

She’s got a bunch of good songs, most of which haven’t been big here. Hubby found footage of her on a singing competition when she was, like, 11 or 12. She’s the real deal.

5. Adake says:

Another disappointing result although I’m happy for Craig. The country vote is just so dominate amazed that Josh even won last year. Oh well, the music tonight was outstanding. Not it’s up to Matt, Chris and Damien to make something out of their careers. We’ll see if Craig can be the first winner to have a lasting career.

• Adake says:

Thanks Michael for posting your comments so quicly all year long. It always allowed for a timely discussion. Happy Holidays to you and all the regular posters to this blog.

• analythinker says:

Josh won because Jake wasn’t nearly as awesome as Craig. Even so, he came really close!

• Adake says:

You’re right but that Jake beat Christina is all you need to know about who ultimately votes on this show. When you look at comments on you tube, hulu and even the Voice site, the dominate comments are country. Michaels blog is unique in that most posters here seem to prefer other genres (pop, soul, rock) to country.

• analythinker says:

You know what? I do look at YT comments sometimes, and it’s NOT dominated by country fans. All I’ve seen this season are either Matt or Chris. Like I said above, I would think country voters are more invested in voting via traditional methods, they don’t waste time watching/commenting on YT.

• JM1 says:

Ugh, the Jake thing last year was just . . . perplexing. If it HAS to be a country singer, then CWB all the way.

• NEmma says:

I believe the reason Blake didn’t win last season was because Jake is not that good of a singer (well not as good as Craig, for sure). But still, me thinks Jake almost won it over Josh. Perhaps the Bieber campaign worked for Usher that time. I just wished a pop rocker (Matt) or a soul pop artist (Chris) would win it this time. Oh well…

• Woo woo says:

I’m glad Craig won. But I’d be indifferent if anyone else did. Not really invested after Taylor Phelan got booted( prob why I’m delighted Adam didn’t win HAHAHA) but jokes aside.. I absolutely hate country… HATE it don’t like as much as I don’t like R&B however somehow I clicked with Craig more. Here are my observations He was so down to earth super nice guy non cocky Nashville type. Didn’t think he was going to win it but consistent nevertheless. Also I think he won it when Blake said in that one episode “the only difference between me and Craig is that I got a lucky break” and that honestly got to me. And he made Craig look like this nice country boy who worked damn hard all his life and it made me go awwww and then he sang the old rugged cross and that hit home run for a lot of people. Super smart stratagising on Blake and Craig’s part…. I think after that people were like oh he’s a super nice guy who can sing and super cool. Super cute and consistent too. So that worked in his favor. So I don’t think its only the country vote. It’s all of the above and also people who don’t want Adam to win so next season he can stop winning chair turns haha. That’s just my observation.
        It might be a big upset to some, a surprise to some, joy for some. But you have to admit this makes good tv…3 on team adam vs 1 team Blake????? Underdog winning? Come on. Gold.

Anyways congrats to Matt Chris Damien and everyone else and of course Craig. It’s been an interesting season.

6. RichUT says:

They should rename the show to “The Voice as decided by country music sycophants” because that it what is has evolved to. Just another year where a moderately talented country artist advances well past he had any right to only to never be heard from again. Done with this show.

• Mart says:

Do you even know what a sycophant is?

• Kristine says:

I completely agree with you. Took the words right out of my mouth.

• Totally disagree!!!! Craig had just as good a voice as any of the others but his was far more distinctive. Two of the other 3 are just like 60% of the voices I hear on the radio every day. Craig’s voice stands out. Love his country rock style! You only say moderately talented because you are obviously not a country fan!

• albean99 says:

Really? I think he sounds like a lot of male country singers. I’m not much of a country fan but the ones I like are different. I hope he does well though because he seems to be a nice guy.

• HTGR says:

I was starting to feel that way in prior seasons, but of the ones who made it to the final, I can’t complain. I don’t like country at all and Craig is somewhat country, but he still seemed the best to me.

• Melissae says:

Craig….More like, southern rock. not really country. Believe me, living in the south, i know country. He was really a tad too rockery for the Country country folks. I was cool with anyone winning. Matt’s song from finale night is stuck in my head (the first one, not the…and i hate to say it…weak “over the rainbow” business). My *point* this “country block of peeps” deal sounds a bit elitist. “oh, the NASCAR fans” ‘} i live in the south and there are ton of alt/rap/pop music people. Just saying ;)

7. Greg says:

Craig was a deserving winner. I was actually most impressed with Damien tonight though to be perfectly honest. His song with Jennifer Hudson was excellent and he, DaNica, Elyjuh and Anita had the best group performance!

8. Good Gravy says:

Tonight was a great night of performances. I was routing for Matt, but Craig’s talent is undeniable. Congratulations to him.

9. Adam had 3 in the top 4 and Blake STILL WON! You know that had to burn a bit.

• Greg says:

The worst part is that the producers bend over backwards to accommodate Adam by giving his singers the pimp spot and second to last nearly every single week and Blake STILL won.

• Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

Is it wrong that that made me laugh a bit? Dude has a serious ego – I like him, but man, that definitely stung.

• Meri says:

I thought that was really, really funny. I liked him, Matt and Damien. Would have been happy with any one of them winning. But the fact that Blake still won with Adam’s 75% odds is hilarious.

10. Guilherme says:

I was so nervous for Matt, but I’m happy he got 2nd. I wish he got 1st, but, what can I do? Just want him to put a check on that box, he’s a true artist. And Chris also needs to sign a label.

11. abz says:

Chris should’ve won, but I’m just glad it wasn’t Damien. How he was even in the finals I will never understand.

• Greg says:

Because he’s an excellent singer with the best range of ALL the finalists.

• abz says:

Nah, still don’t like him. Not a fan at all. Over-emoting cheesiness each and every week.

• Greg says:

They all have their own styles. I guess it either works for you or it doesn’t. Chris just comes off to me like some Timberlake wannabe with falsetto as his crutch.

• kevin says:

So his being an excellent singer turns you off. Um, Ok. I’m actually glad your golden boy Matt didn’t win. His wimpy singing, odd looks and ugly tattoos turned ME off, but obviously a lot of people liked him. If Craig was a mediocre country singer like Jake and Scotty McCreery from Idol, I would blame country fans, but Craig was a special kind of singer, who happened to sing country. Carrie Underwood is another one. (BTW, I don’t mind tattoos, but ugly ones, no way).

• abz says:

I never said Matt was my golden boy. I didn’t think he was that great either. He had his moments but nothing special to me really.
            And I don’t personally find Damien to be an excellent singer. I don’t see even a hint of uniqueness to his voice at all.
            I also happen to agree with you about the tattoos. In general, I find tattoos to be stupid. Some are okay but the majority are dumb especially tattoos like Matt’s where he basically destroys one of the first few things people see when they look at him. I honestly could barely look at him or pay attention to his voice sometimes because of how hideous an distracting his neck tattoo is. I’ve never understood why people get tattoos on their necks and faces. They’re so damn stupid and hideous to look at.

12. Angel says:

Chris looked like a STAR tonight with Jessie J. I’m not even mad that he didn’t win because he looked so happy and thrilled and I was honestly inspired. Thank you Chris, Thank you Jessie. We are all still working on our masterpieces.

13. Allie says:

Congratulations to Craig. Personally, I would have preferred Chris, but at least it wasn’t Matt (who is, by far, the most inconsistent of the group all season and turned in two very weak performances last night) But Chris has a good career opportunity ahead of him as well, especially now that Justin Timberlake is getting old….LOL… :)

• Greg says:

Yeah Matt’s SOTR was a train wreck and his group performance tonight of You Can Go Your Own Way was just terrible. I think SOTR ended up costing him the win. I actually think Adam picked that crappy song for him because he really wanted Chris to win.

• Davey says:

That group number was wrecked because of the sound, not the singers. The Voice has sound issues a lot and it’s really annoying.

• H says:

This is probably not the time or place but I actually didn’t think SOTR to be so bad. I think it just lacked dynamics. It sort of felt like Matt was so nervous or excited that he forgot to work that song. That’s why the end note was so odd to everybody – it’s no different than any other “glory note” he belted out through the season but he sang the rest of the song so softly that it was an odd one out.

• Scout says:

LOL. Oh, no you didn’t ;)

14. Tom says:

I am so glad Craig Wayne Boyd won. He has tremendous talent and it was his time, after all these years of paying his dues.

• winkteresa says:

chris killed it man!!! i wouldnt be surprised if adam quit WE ARE FANS NO LONGER!!!!!!!!!!craig sucks just like todays country music

• Max says:

Just because you don’t like country music doesn’t give you the right to say he sucked. You sound like one of my kids if you don’t like the type of music it sucks get a clue

15. Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

A few thoughts:

1) I had a feeling that Chris and Matt would split the vote last night, and Craig would win it on phone calls over iTunes.

2) But MAN. Matt and Chris deserved the hell out of that win. They’d better both get deals.

3) Craig is great at what he does – he’s one of the best country guys they’ve had on the show. Blake is great at promoting his artists – especially his country artists. Is it wrong that I think this win is largely due to Blake and his following? It’s not a Jermaine Paul level of upset, but still.

4) JHud kind of schooled Damien a bit, no?

5) Speaking of schooling, pretty sure Jessie J schooled everyone, even though Chris held his own.

6) The coaches singing was actually really moving. They sound good together.

7) Sugar left The Voice and came back SO MUCH BETTER. Can’t wait for her album.

8) Was Meghan Trainor actually singing or lip syncing? I honestly can’t tell. If she was singing, that was very impressive.

9) #HammerTime edit was clearly a contest between the editors

10) My prediction is that Chris and Craig will break out after this. I’m hoping Matt will, too, but the other two are definitely gonna be big.

10) Guitarist from Lynrd Skynrd still got it.

• Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit says:

haha, I can’t count!

• Scout says:

Yes to 4, 5, 7 and 10! I couldn’t take my eyes off of that Lynrd Skynrd guitar dude. That’s what you call a “pro.” I am really rooting for Sugar now… She came back a different singer. Good for her!

• analythinker says:

About Sugar, I think it’s been in her the whole time, we just didn’t get to see it bc of the freaking song choices. I may still be mad at Pharrell for this.

• Jeff Marley says:

She got massive potential!!! Both her and DaNica!!! 😃😃😃 I hope they get signed immediately!!!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, Sugar. My dear, dear Sugar. Taken from us too soon. Can you imagine what Usher would have done with that talent?

• JT says:

Yeah, Sugar was leagues better than Chris. Pharrell saved Sugar, though, and practically sang her praises non-stop. Coaching and song choice were not why she got eliminated. Usher would not have done better and only won with Josh because he was the best performer in the competition.

• EXCELLENT point! I was so awed by her tonight, and now that you mention it, she and Usher would have been a killer combination.

• Angie_Overrated says:

She got saddled with someone who didn’t understand the game. But fortunately for Sugar, Pharrell certainly understands the real game of music. If he loves her as much as he claims to (which I do think is sincere), maybe she’s good to go? At the very least, he’ll help her make a demo and get it to the right A&R people. Having seen friends go through this spiel, she’s got a huge leg up in the game already. It’s all up to her now!

• JM1 says:

I think maybe some of the song choices were her own? And yes, she did come back better, but honestly I still heard a lot of that screaming thing in her voice that I didn’t like the first time around. I’m not 100% converted.

16. Michael says:

Dang! Chris and Matt performed extroardinarily last night, and that wasn’t enough? I’m actually in shock. I’m super upset, but I’m certainly confused on how Matt didn’t win! I wanted Chris, but expected Matt, but we got Craig? Holy upset XTina is correct!

17. Pk says:

Say what?! CWB beat Matt?? I blame Chris’s pants.

18. Ginger Snap says:

CWB was my favorite all season. Didn’t think he was going to pull it off. Congrats to Craig.

19. Dark Defender says:

They should really just call it The COUNTRY Voice. I liked Matt better. Although CWB was consistent, he did not have the dynamic stage presence a real star has… not to mention his named sounded like a serial killer’s name. but that’s just my opinion.. :P

• Troy says:

Ok, the past two seasons we haven’t had a country winner. Quite the opposite actually. I’m not really even a fan of country, but I don’t see it that way. Out of 7 seasons there have been 3 country winners (if you really even count Cassadee, since she did more pop-rock during her time on the show than country). So we will say 2 1/2 of the 7 winners were country. We have had 3 r&b/pop singers in John, Tessanne, and Jermaine. Maybe even 4, you could put Javier in there too.

20. michelle says:

I’ve been rooting for Matt and thought he had a chance. He sold the most on iTunes. Chris was right there w him. Adam did a superb job at mentoring his team. He seemed most hands on this season. I think it’ll be okay for his team though BC they all have well written, produced singles, especially Matt and Chris.

21. Jeff Marley says:

I can’t wait for what pharrel and DaNica will collaborate to do!!! 😃😃😃 Sugar was fantastic as well!!! 😃😃😃

22. HTGR says:

I don’t see how Craig winning was an upset.
    I’m kind of glad too. Yeah he goes a bit too country for me at times, but at this point he seemed the most really there to me given where we were for the finals (from what little I watching once it went live). And he was putting on some good shows when some others still hadn’t even had anything really special yet. And they basically dissed Blake’s entire team as much as they could. I mean what? Other than for Craig, the winner, they showed like literally only a total of 4 seconds combined, the entire night, of his other two finalists!
    Before the lives they had Reagan as the savior and then the second it went live it was like they couldn’t try harder to have people talk about her and show her less, always less time, always first for saves. There were contestants who didn’t go half as far as her (or Jessie) and yet got featured time tonight.
    Anyway Craig fit right in when performing with Lynyrd Skynyrd and as I had been saying the goo-goo for magic Chris stuff here had him ranked up a bit unrealistically high.
    It was a bit hard to say since I skipped the show, for the most part, past top 10, but I was figuring it would Craig or maybe Matt, although all the Chris talk here flipped me to thinking he’d pull it off, but before I read all the comments here I figured Craig or maybe maybe Matt and then Damien and Chris behind.
    Anyway blah. I loved, loved the first half-plus of the season and then it all quickly just got lost for me like maybe never before for any of these shows. Oh well.

• HTGR says:

Anyway from what I’ve seen Craig made sense to me from that bunch. Matt seemed mixed good and bad (I thought he might get pulled for win by one of the voting blocks but Chris probably stole some of his votes, the country vote is powerful and Craig was a really solid guy from beginning to end (well I have no clue about the middle weeks of the lives)). Chris wasn’t truly all that unless you could also appreciate him for all his reasons which I can’t (he does get credit for upping his stage presence and performance worlds since the beginning though). Damien maybe got a little too for people in the end.
      Anyway, having to go from that four (I didn’t agree/personally care just going by what I prefer (sometimes two different things) with this bunch or much past the half-way point of the show) Craig didn’t seem an unreasonable winner to me at all. Not in the least. I think he has a better raw voice than Chris and handles the stage just as well.

• Hey There HTGR, Its Becca I remember you! Yes, i loved seeing Lynard Skynard too! Glad CWB won!

23. Carola says:

MAN I AM SO PISSED! WHAT ARE YOU DOING AMERICA!
    NOw I can only hope Chris gets signed and slays the radio charts very soon! I am so disappointed. I am done with this show now…

24. Michael says:

Just like… I would agree with you Michael S. that this season will probably produce the artist(and they are all artists) that is most likely to top the charts lol

25. Kaba says:

No disrespect to country music as I think Craig is the most impressive country winner of the 3….but still I would have preferred a Matt or Chris win. Just seemed like the better and more deserved call.

26. Tran says:

Matt McAndrew was robbed. He should have won The Voice and now Team Blake has four trophies to their collection. Can the “pointing at his head” himself Blake Shelton be stopped again before Season 8 of The Voice begins come February 23rd?

• Why do people insist on saying someone “should have won”. Where is that written in the rules to the show. It’s just your opinion which obviously did not correspond to what the majority of the voters thought. Everyone has the same options to vote so it looks like more people wanted Craig to win than the others. Not because he should have won, they all deserved to win- best top 4 I’ve ever seen on The Voice.

• Scout says:

I really was the best top 4. Totally agree.

• Jon says:

Agreed — they were all so good (and likable) that even though I wanted Chris I’m still happy for Craig.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Isn’t it weird how civil this discussion is? Usually it’s a bloodsport when someone’s favorite doesn’t win, but I get the sense most everyone is happy for Craig even if they didn’t vote for him. It’s nice to have viable alternatives making it to the finale. Now if we can only do that for our presidential elections…

• DidntWork says:

I agree. I also preferred Chris, but it’s not like I thought Craig was undeserving, he worked hard, listened, and improved – just as Chris did. I think it was just a matter of Adam’s team doing some vote splitting. But that said, I’m thinking that that regardless of who actually “won” both Chris and Craig actually may have a solid shot at a post-TheVoice career.

27. Kaba says:

Also, the complete and utter disregard of Jessie and Reagan makes my heart warm.
    Gave them Pompeii then sent them on their way back to the airport <3

• HTGR says:

Made my heart cold. That was a shame to see. They totally dissed everything they could about Team Blake other than the winner. Poor taste.
      Can’t wait to see Reagan again in the future.

• Adake says:

Yep saw that. Meanwhile, Taylor P, Sugar, and DaNica chosen for more than one group performance.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Letting those 2 get as far as they did was a disservice to them and to viewers. It was getting so embarrassing to watch.

• HTGR says:

Give it up already. Reagan was practically chosen by many to win it all like a week before she was cut and had a most impressive run for the entire start of the program. She started out 12 nervous and with a super tricky song. And got the slam cut.
        She had a heck of a lot of stage and star presence going on for 16, she definitely has it. A little polish and in a couple years….
        I just pray the show doesn’t kill it for her, despite Pharrell saying this is a great platform, it’s really not (unless it was a total last ditch attempt to get noticed) since labels seems to sadly write anyone off who doesn’t win these days and the young ones without much experience maybe get stuck with a “can’t even win a reality show” label before even getting a chance. That’s not fair and makes little sense if you look into the nature of these shows never mind the voting, but….
        But she had such spark and is so young and got so short of a no chance here I gotta think she’ll still get the shot.

• Kaba says:

You’d be a lot more justified if she:
          a) didn’t have polarizing vocals…that went on to prove to just be awful
          b) executed at least some understanding of breath control
          and c) picked proper songs…she failed hard after her playoff performance. Simple fact.

28. Davey says:

I’m sorry, country fans have enough shows on TV and now they take over the Voice. Why watch this show if Blake is going to win all the time? And if you’re not a country singer, don’t bother being on Blake’s team.

• analythinker says:

Why not? It worked well for Cassadee, even though she had to steer her ship a bit. (This is by no means an endorsement for Team Blake, unless they’re really great like Craig.)

• Max says:

I don’t believe Blake’s first win was a country singer, Cassadee was not country to begin with so I respectfully disagree.

• H says:

She wasn’t a country singer but he made her one, and she wouldn’t have won if she didn’t go that way on the show. I still see her on red carpets of country award shows. I don’t know what kind of music she makes but image wise, she’s gone full on pop-country.

• David says:

Turning Cassaddee Pope into a “country” act was a transparent ploy. It seemed obvious from the time she made the top 8 that she was being engineered toward a win. The best songwriters in Nashville, ghostwriting under the artist’s name, can make a huge star. It worked for Taylor Swift, but her father had more wealth to fund songwriter hush money than Pope has.

• MC says:

I’m glad someone else noticed the preordained nature of that Cassadee Pope season. It was one of the most manipulative things I’ve ever seen.

29. suesox says:

I didn’t care for the choreography tonight. Way too many go-go dancers. I would have liked some reggae for Anita Antoinette. And “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas “… Really?
    Highlight of the night was performance by Jessie J and Chris.

30. suesox says:

Liked performance by Jessie J and Chris.

31. Cagney says:

A totally enjoyable evening. I have been a faithful viewer of the Voice since its inception and I thought this was the weakest season yet I cannot remember enjoying final performance and finale nights more. I wasn’t a fan of Chris’ early on but he grew on me and I thought his growth was amazing. He has real stage presence. Biggest surprise of the night besides the outcome was Damien. I thought he was outstanding with Jennifer. I also loved Chris’s group number and his performance with Jessie j – who is outstanding. Never was a fan of Sugar but she was great on all her opportunities. Danica was so good on Damien’s number. Loved the girl group!
    I really wanted to see Chris win but am happy for Craig. I hope to see Chris somewhere soon- he is so talented. Still miss Amber Carrington after all of these years.

32. Deb says:

The voting seems off. Matt should’ve won this hands down, but apparently there are more country music folks than people that buy I-Tunes. If Matt does get a recording contract out of this, I will buy what he puts out. He is original and extremely talented.

• Davey says:

What is weird is how The Voice changed the voting rules this year, they used to have cumulative votes count toward the finale.

33. Kaba says:

I think Chris’ performance with Jessie J thoroughly shut up his naysayers.
    That was platinum quality stuff.

34. Drutra says:

Chris got robbed!

35. Tori says:

I don’t understand why Jessie isn’t bigger in the US.
    She’s a phenomenal performer and singer and complements well in duets.
    Look up her performance with Vince Kidd on TV UK, excellent. This with Chris was just as great too.
    Goooood performance. So good.

36. Kylee says:

” Season 7 of The Voice, despite being the weakest in the history of NBC’s singing competition, will be the first to launch a chart-topping, stadium-filling superstar.”

Come on, you seriously think that? Does Carrie Underwood even sell out stadiums? Its not happening. The artists this season will be forgotten about like every other season.

• Timmah says:

Michael was clearly drinking when he made that prediction.

• Kylee says:

Maybe he was drinking what ever the coaches were drinking or what ever Blake has been drinking when he said Craig would be the next country superstar lol.

• GuitarBlue says:

True, most will be just history as Idol, X-Factor UK, America’s Got Talent and the next season of The Voice roll-around to grab media attention. For all the promises and praising statements by The Coaches, they will move-on with their own business as the contestants mostly fade-out of any major impact in the music biz.

We have seen many times, the coaches or judges on these talent shows claiming that this or that singer is going to be a great success, but they don’t hang-around after the show is over to spend any time and money on them.

CWB has the best chance, since he gets the automatic record deal and Blake will probably have him as an opener and possible duet partner on his tour shows. He did the same with Gwen (from a previous season), Danielle Bradbury, etc.

• Timmah says:

Unfortunately neither Craig nor any of the other finalists has a fraction of the charisma and talent needed to fill a stadium. I give CWB about six months before he fades into the woodwork like Tate Stevens. Same with the others.

But Reagan and TJW are stars in the making, right Timmah? lol
          But on a more serious note, show or no show, that business sucks. So much of it is luck or who you know / sleep with. Looking through the top 100, the list is littered with people with no talent and also littered with people who have talent oozing from every pore. It’s all a crapshoot.

• Timmah says:

I don’t know if Reagan and TJW will make it, but I think they might have a head start over some of the others. Artists who can offer something original in style, presentation and songwriting make it in this business, not the glorified karaoke singers who usually win these competitions.

• HTGR says:

Agree with Angie_Underrated post “lol” and with Timmah (entire post)

37. Gailer says:

I voted, other, I.e., no one

38. keith says:

Yes we got it right…we need another Travis tritt lol

39. Charlie says:

Since they instituted the save in the Knockout Round (or second Battle Round) in season 5, a person who got saved that way has made it into the Finals all three times and now won twice. Just an observation.

40. a.gelia says:

Serve Adam Right To Loose.gif All His Cards First Kb Matt Then Chris Down Played And Under Rezoned Damien,Did Not Showcase His Voice ,Afraid He Would Outshine Matt And Chris.So That’s What He Gets,Boo

41. Alicia says:

I am not surprised that Craig won. While Matt’s original song was extremely strong (it’s the only one I downloaded from last night), I found his other two songs to not be as good as some of his other stuff from earlier in the season. For me, this was one of the most even final groups I’ve seen on The Voice – I would not have been totally shocked if any of the final four had won.

Has anyone else noticed that being the official winner of these shows doesn’t mean much? It all depends on what they do with their newfound exposure, and what they release after the show. Funny how they had Jennifer Hudson on the show tonight – she was only 7th in her season of American Idol, and I’m pretty sure she’s the only one most people remember from that season. And most remember Kellie Pickler, Daughtry, and Katharine McPhee, who were all in the same season. Who won that season? Taylor Hicks. Haven’t really heard much of anything from him, have we?

I’m glad that The Voice seemed to be trying to help jump-start the finalists’ careers by having the original songs in the finale this season! Here’s hoping that all four of this season’s finalists can release more awesome music after this, and make it big!

If y’all want to see a real upset, go watch some of the clips from The Voice UK from earlier this year. Christina Marie was AMAZING, and she was totally robbed in the finale.

• koolkatz says:

I was rooting for Sally Barker (voice UK) all the way, I didn’t think she would make it though, with her age. But what a beautiful, haunting voice. I really enjoy the UK version, though their very short voting window is a little sad. At least everyone is in the same time zone. Their judges seem to have more fun.

• Davey says:

True about Taylor Hicks but he’s actually made quite a lot of money from playing music or doing music because he was on Idol. He even had a show in Vegas and was paid a nice sum.

42. seascape says:

3rd Place: Chris Jamison (Team Adam)

2nd: Craig Wayne Boyd (Team Blake)

1st Place: Damien (Team Adam)

Should have Won: Matt McAndrew (Team Adam)

43. PatD says:

OMG, did I really read that someone actually posted that Jessie J made Chris look bad?!!!? Talk about your bias cancelling out all credibility! Chris was ***terrific*** in that crazy difficult duet!

I don’t want to be that person, but Craig’s win really didn’t surprise me. I didn’t vote for him, but I’m happy for him. I think he’s going to have a big ol’ country career. He has a George Strait kind of voice, and now that George has retired…

Adam can sign both Matt and Chris to his label now. Hope he stays invested, because they both have huge record selling potential.

But, OMG, Jessie J and Chris! I cannot get over how awesome those two sounded. That was the highlight of the night.

(And, yes, The Voice needs to hire a new sound engineer. There was something seriously wrong with the sound on a lot of those numbers.)

44. I was told this was not on the honest ups it will be my last time I every will watch the view. Where is the honest in the game. I would never support or buy any music from the artist who won. I’m disappointed I believe in honest and trust. It’s sad to see it pay out this way.

45. Terry says:

The tattoos were a big turn off for me. They caused a great contradiction that my mind simple could never reconcile. Besides the fact that Blake beating Adam gives me joy. Ha!

46. Rose Dezonno says:

There were 2 winners for different categories. Craig for country and Damien for all else. They were both great! I wish them the best and hope to hear of them in the future. I Walk the Line was never sung so beautifully as when Craig sang. Damien can do no wrong. Good luck guys!

47. Laura Lattanzio says:

I love the voice, but once again I’m shocked. I like Craig, but definitely Matt or Chris should have won. What!, Reminds me of when Matt Schuler was eliminated (loved him). I’m like who votes anyway? I feel like white middle America votes in the winners (btw I am white).

• HTGR says:

I think it may be different on The Voice, but for American Idol, a few seasons ago they said that they average voter is a 50-something white female from Middle America/The South.

• Gailer says:

I wish teens voted ;)

• H says:

I think music reality shows kind of lost their credibility when it comes to crowds of teens and actual music lovers. There was a small window of time when a wide variety of people watched and voted, but that’s over, and now voting doesn’t represent a wide demographic but rather how much your hometown votes and how mainstream you are. I’m not from the US but I see it on our local shows, too – winners nowadays are mostly those with the widest crowd appeal, “crowd” being random TV watchers who don’t usually have any deep knowledge of music and judge contestant by most obvious things, i.e., tattoos, family, job and so on. I see my mother voting for contestants because of their militant background or because the VT shows their sad, sad life story. All in all, it ends up in the country singing family guy who wasn’t given a break yet. That sucks but these are these shows. I never watched The Voice’s finale because it never matches the actual course of the show and I’m always set for a disappointment. But as we know, CWB would’ve become something in the country music field because of Blake, anyway. Other three will unfortunately probably fade away and would have faded away even if they won.

• HTGR says:

and thus perhaps cute guys stay longer than expected, guys in general stay longer than expected on average, cute girls cut voted out earlier than expected, girls in general get cut a bit earlier than expected on average and win far less often than expected, country stays longer than expected (although I actually thought that Craig probably did deserve it out of these four; but in some other cases it seemed really questionable, maybe most of all the Tate Stevens and Scotty wins), top 40 type females get eliminated verrrrry easily, giant ballad voices get eliminated earlier than expected, etc. (lots of over-generalizing of course)

• cagney says:

Loved Matt Schuler too although he may have peaked earlier. He and Amber Carrington are my favorite contestants from the Voice and now I have one more to add- Go Chris!

48. Bernice says:

Americans voted for genre of music, NOT the best musician.

• TinLV says:

That’s BS. I don’t particularly like most country music.. Garth is the exception on that. My favorite music genres are rock and Motown. So I didn’t vote for a ‘genre”.. But I voted for CWB to win because he was the best at what he does.. which includes both country and southern rock. I would not have been surprised or disappointed if any of the other 3 won, though. They were also good at what they do. I was kind of expecting the winner to be Matt, just on the strength of his single, Wasted Love. That song is awesome and seems destined to be a hit. I loved Damien and would definitely buy his music. Chris was really good, but the pop music I expect he will put out is just not my cup of tea.

49. I believe in Karma and will see. The truth is you when you have energy and a spiritual side backing you you have a message you need to deliver from a higher being.

50. chris says:

They have to rid of Blake pushing his country agenda. Not good for The Voice. Its the best voice not the most popular genre. Boyd couldn’t sing anything but country. He is a one trick pony. Wont watch it again until Blake is off.

• Sharon says:

Chris, “pushing his country agenda” seems a touch hysterical. Blake is a country artist who wants to promote young country talent, just as other coaches on the show are more focused on a musical genre they know best. And calling Craig a one-trick pony is also odd. Craig is actually a Southern rocker (a different genre of music) who also does very well with country music, so it’s not true to say he couldn’t sing anything but country. I’m not singling you out, because lots of people take this view, but the rabidly polarized view of country only/anything but country is boring and does not allow for nuances and flexibility of attitude. It reminds me, most depressingly, of the polarized American political positions of republican/democrat.

• Dwight says:

CWB is not as versatile as Matt, his range is minimal, and his voice simply is not as good as the others. I would have voted him in if he hit on two of these. Agree that the country block is causing less talent to win a talent show. Pity. I like country/southern rock, and he was mediocre at best. Johnny Cash tune was the highlight for me.

• Ginger Snap says:

Matt had issues. He’s better suited to producing things in the studio than performing live. CWB has learned his craft and is the better performer.
        if you want to make money in this business, you have to master live performances. Just look at Gwen Stefani. She’s not the greatest singer but she mastered the art of performing.

• JM1 says:

The point of having coaches of different genres is to represent various genres. The fact is that Blake came on the Voice and won so millions of people over, and developed a large fan base. He’s GREAT at his job. I don’t think that’s a problem. Yes, I’d like a non-country singer to win, but to do so it seems the other coaches need to step up their game.

Isn’t that life, really? Hope you keep watching; I enjoy hearing all the differing opinions. :-)

• Ginger Snap says:

So what are Tessanne Chinn and Josh Kaufman? Who were their coaches?
        It’s not all about Blake. It’s about who the voters like. Blake just does a better job managing his talent.

• Kay says:

Agree, The Voice has been around 7 seasons now and where are all the winners…..You don’t hear anything about or from any of them! The one’s I’ve been hearing about now and last year is Bradberry, Pope and Raelynn and they all were coached by Blake! Maybe the guy who won last year will do something but he hasn’t yet….

• Syretha says:

I agree regarding how Blake manages his talent on the show. Isn’t the girl that sings background for him a former Voice contestant. I can’t think of her name right now, but she’s blond. When he peforms on the show she’s always singing background.