The Voice: The 22 Essential Performances of Season 7

Have you walked the line for The Voice these past seven weeks? Has the experience left you wanting to swing from the chandelier? God only knows where you’d be without NBC’s reality singing competition, right?

Yep, you may have guessed it from the aforementioned trio of lyrical references, but it’s time to count down the very best performances from The Voice‘s last 12 weeks of holleration, interpretation and exultation.

Every one of Season 7’s finalists — Craig Wayne Boyd, Matt McAndrew, Chris Jamison and Damien — cracked the list at least one time, but there are some long-since-eliminated vocalists who made the cut, too.

So click through the gallery below to see how I ranked the season, then sound off in the comments and tell me where I got it right, where I was utterly infuriating and which great moments you think I missed!

1. Far too titled in favor of Chris.

2. Davey says:

Might have added Cool Kids by Taylor Phelan and The Blower’s Daughter by Matt just because it exposed America to a great Damien Rice song. I also liked Taylor John Williams’ Come Together for being weird.

3. Ginger Snap says:

You made the right call. Cry Me A River was better than Wasted Love.

Chris should win.

4. Kim Moores says:

Personally I’d rate WIWYM higher than CMAR for Chris.
    Dunno how to feel about this list…if there’s one that needed to be up there along with WIWYM it’d be Blower’s Daughter and Breakeven (Tay. P and Jordy)

5. Kaba says:

Haven’t these normally been top 30 best performances?
    Tells you about the season if it was reduced to 22, no? :o loool

6. Jamey says:

Was not a fan of Wasted Love or Cry Me A River. Loved Chandelier! Wish Jean would have stayed around longer!

7. H says:

No Sweater Weather?

8. Adam says:

For me, Matt McAndrew’s “Take Me To Church” was one of the stand-out moments of the season. I’d replace one of the Toia Jones performances with that one – Toia was good, but giving her 2/22 of the best performances is pushing it a bit.

9. Niejan says:

Good picks. I also liked Mad World (Taylor John Williams).

10. Skrable2 says:

I would have added John David Carter’s “Nobody Knows.”

11. will says:

DaNica’s Big White Room was a masterclass, perfected the original.

• River City says:

This season has really morphed into a self-promotion platform for the show itself, the coaches/Mentors to test new songs, do commercials — sell itunes downloads from the contestants, lots of coaches/contestants duets and group songs on the show for entertainment. ———————-

Although a few past Voice contestants are sometimes seen in the buss., most past contestants that the coaches adamantly claimed would be big stars, making hit records, etc. are mostly way under the top 100 radar these days. The Celebrity Coaches enhance their status, the majority of the contestants go back to normal life, singing here and there at events in their home area.

12. Michael says:

I will agree with most all that is here. I might be a little snubbed that Maneater didn’t make it higher on the list, but it was overall, a surprisingly strong Top 22? list lol Was the season not good enough to make it Top 30? xD

13. HTGR says:

Wow, Chris has like 50% of the top performances of this season?
    (And how was “Velvet” one of the best few performances of the entire series?)
    Alessandra doesn’t even get 1?
    So many others get one or none and Chris gets 50%? What?

• HTGR says:

Or maybe it was “Cry Me A River” that actually got the ultra A+. But come on!
      Cry Me A River was better than anything any of the other guys did???? It was a better vocal than anything DaNica did?? Reagan is 18th spot??? Alessandra doesn’t even rate? And “Cry Me A River”, which was both a worse performance and worse vocal than Timberlake gives it by far, and yet it gets #1 for the entire season and one of the best of all time on The Voice? I mean even some of Amanda Brown’s great stuff didn’t get placed that high. And there have been plenty of male performances this season alone that were more impressive than CMAR.

14. Chris says:

Elyjah Renè- XO?
    Matt McAndrew- Take Me To Church?
    Bryana Salaz- Heart Attack?
    Anita Antoinette- All About That Bass?
    Ricky Manning & Brittany Butler- On Broadway?

15. Steve says:

Michael… where is Take Me to Church? Most people I know would rank this as the #1 performance of the season.

16. Josh says:

Michael, you really need to get off the Chris hype train. He’s not bad by any means. But quite simply, he’s not all that great. He’s a forgettable pop singer with a nice falsetto; that’s about it. “Cry Me a River” should be on this list somewhere. But nowhere near number 1.

And the fact that “The Old Rugged Cross” was nowhere on here makes me question your taste in music in general. I don’t care what faith(or lack thereof) you subscribe to, that was a phenomenal performance.

17. kt5 says:

No mention of Matt McAndrew singing Blower’s Daughter?

• VoicePhantom says:

Exactly. Blower’s Daughter was the absolute best performance from an exceptionally good season. With his God Only Knows somewhere else near the top. Any list without those is suspect. Also agree with another poster on TJW “Mad World”. And while Craig Wayne Boyd wasn’t my favorite, he had at least one solo performance that should have made the cut.

18. Mandy says:

Michael Slezak, you write the best review articles. You’re always entertaining and the best part– I agree with you 100%. Chris Jamison should have won– who else can sing a Bruno Mars song?

19. RL says:

Matt McAndrew’s “Blower’s Daughter” was absolutely incredibly. Everyone should rewatch it.
    Ethan and Matt doing Coldplay’s “Yellow” was also incredible.
    Matt didn’t win, but I think he had the most memorable moments and songs,
    way more than Chris.

20. suesox says:

I’m really glad you included Brittany Butler in there, as I think she was a stellar performer. I would have included Anita Antoinette’s “All About that Bass,” as well. I don’t really like the song, but I think she did a great job with it (and with the reggae songs, too).

21. Crystal Knight says:

I’m sorry, where is Taylor Phelan’s cover of “Sweater Weather”? It DEFINITELY deserves to be here.