Exclusive

NCIS Casts Teenage DiNozzo for Military Prep School Flashbacks

NCIS Teenage DiNozzo

CBS’ NCIS will take its deepest dive ever into Agent Tony DiNozzo’s past with an episode that flashes back to his days as a teenager attending a military preparatory academy.

Taking on the role of Young DiNozzo, TVLine has learned exclusively, will be Tanner Stine, whose credits include Nickelodoen’s Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans.

Showrunner Gary Glasberg touts Stine as a “terrific kid who literally studied Michael Weatherly’s mannerisms” and in turn “blew us away in the audition. He came in with the haircut, the attitude, the whole thing.”

Also guest-starring in the episode is Steve Harris (The Practice, Legends), appearing in both timelines as Tony’s onetime mentor/basketball coach who’s now the provost of the military academy he once attended.

TV’s most watched drama, NCIS presents its Christmas-themed winter finale this Tuesday at 8/7c. The Teenage Tony episode is due to air during February sweeps.

1. Mel says:

What a great scoop!! This sounds all kinds of intriguing, and finally, a storyline about Tony that doesn’t involve his love (or lack thereof) life! Thanks! Can’t wait to see how this plays out.

• Darlene says:

So great to know there is more to Tony than his love life. This spoiler is such a wonderful Christmas present! Looking forward to NCIS 2015!

2. Yea, more Tony scoops and another episode with flashbacks, this time about Tony! I’m gonna assume we’ll see Tony Sr. in this episode as well. Looking forward to this episode. Thank you, Matt & Co. for bringing us this and other scoops. :-)

• Lyn says:

Good likeness, but what younger actor could possibly play a young Bob Wagner?

• Joni says:

Could be that we don’t see Young Tony with Senior due to the fact that he pretty much dumped his son in boarding school and only saw him on vacation [sometimes]. I figure we’ll only see Senior in present day.
        Or Michael could play dual roles – as Current Day Tony and Senior during the flashbacks.

• mike says:

… Rob Lowe…

3. as524 says:

Anxious to see how this works & who writes the ep….hoping they don’t complete screw up the backstory of their best character on this show…
    hoping the actually consult with MW who, at this point, knows Tony far better than GG or the writers.

4. Darlene says:

I am so excited about this, I can barely contain myself. I’ve wanted them to take a look back at Tony’s military prep academy days for such a long time!
    Thank you so much for this spoiler!
    Now all I need is to find out about what happened that made Tony leave Philly so abruptly, and the back story on the mob family he took down.

5. Alan says:

where’s your midseason schedule?

6. Joni says:

Hi Matt, Thank you for the great DiNozzo news. I’m thrilled it will air during February sweeps. Two thumbs up to Tanner Stine for doing his homework on “Tony”. To me that’s a sign of a really good actor.
    It will be really interesting to see how Tony behaves when back on his childhood stomping ground. If he’s like many of us thrust into that situation he’ll react in a way that surprises his teammates – and “Boss”.

7. maria says:

Excellent news. Thanks, Matt.

8. Tara says:

OMG I AM SOOO EXCITED FOR THIS EPISODE!! if only i could get here faster! and finally a good piece of scoop about ncis, been dying for something like this! this episode is gonna be awesome!

9. Donna2712 says:

Oh this looks good! Tanner physically looks like a good match for young Tony. Can’t wait to see what info this brings. I have always wanted to know about Tony’s mum and how she died so we might find out in this episode.

• Erin says:

I’m so excited to finally hear that it seems we are getting a Tony centric episode. The young actor they cast looks right. I hope the story isn’t the usual light weight comic fodder, but has some real drama to it.

10. Hmmm…intriguing. It looks like Tony might be returning to his old school for a case. (Although I thought it was canon that he went to Rhode Island Military School – roadtrip for the team?) It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the team interacts at his old school. I just hope they don’t make this a “Tony was an idiot goofball in military school” episode.

• Erin says:

I want to think positive about this too since I’m excited to finally get a Tony centric episode, but history tells me to keep my expectations in check. I too fear that the writers will be in the usual rage to sacrifice Tony at the altar of the comic moment. I really hope that they don’t do this, this time.

11. Steven Cohen says:

What happened to Jamey Sheridan as McGee’s father?

• Robert says:

He died of cancer.

• Donna2712 says:

The actor didn’t die of cancer – Jamey Sheridan is still alive and well. McGee’s father died of cancer. I assume because all we saw of the character was him in a coffin that maybe Jamey didn’t really want to play the part this time … understandably.

12. Pete says:

Thanks, Matt. It is so good to have an NCIS spoiler that isn’t supposedly about someone’s love life for a change.

I loved the depth of the characters Bellisario created and the way the cast brought them to life in the early seasons. I like the sound of this episode, but am wary of the way so much of what we learned about the characters originally has been forgotten in later episodes, and rewritten in backstories we have learned more recently.
    It’s all entertaining, and I am enough of a sucker to keep watching, but the reinvention of the characters has rarely been an improvement on Bellisario’s originals, sadly.

13. Kelly says:

In the SWAK episode, Tony is laughing and reminiscing with the doctor about their college days and the doctor says, “You broke you leg in the fourth quarter!” Tony replies, “No, YOU broke my leg in the fourth quarter!” College basketball is separated into halves. I always figured that Tony played football and switched to basketball after the injury. Now, he apparently played basketball in high school as well. Was he a two-sport athlete? I hope they clarify that.

14. aph1976 says:

I can’t wait because i’m sure we’re going to learn even more about Tony’s past and how he became the man he is now.

15. Watched the episode about DeNozzo as a teen last night. I was so impressed with Tanner Stine’s portrayal of Anthony that I had to look up his name and learn a bit about him. EXCELLENT job, Tanner. More about Anthony, please, so Stine can come back!