American Idol Will Scale Down to One Night a Week, Seacrest Confirms

American Idol One Night Week

For at least part of its upcoming run, American Idol will air just one night a week, host Ryan Seacrest has confirmed.

Talk of Idol being “more streamlined” in Season 14 began back in mid-May, when then-Fox president Kevin Reilly speculated that, with ratings waning, the onetime reality behemoth would transition to a “two-hour show on one night for most of its run.”

Seacrest confirmed that to be the latest thinking even in the wake of Reilly’s exit in late May. (Dana Walden and Gary Newman took the reins at Fox Broadcasting in July.) “We are going to do the performance show and the results in the same show,” he shared Friday at Z100’s Jingle Ball Concert, The Hollywood Reporter reports. “We are going to put it all into one format in one night,” starting on or around the Top 10 level of competition, he indicated.

Fox’s own So You Think You Can Dance switched to a one-night format in Season 9, combining performances and results shows. ABC’s Dancing With the Stars did same beginning with its Fall 2013 cycle.

Idol Season 14 opens Wednesday, Jan. 7 with a one-hour episode, followed by a two-hour installment on Thursday, Jan. 8. Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban will serve as judges, with music producer Scott Borchetta replacing Randy Jackson as mentor.

Having seen SYTYCD and DWTS already go down this road, what do you about Idol following suit?

1. Brandy says:

Blah. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m really going to miss the results shows.

• Lyn says:

I’m OK with them going to one night if they are OK with scaling back on shots of JLo when one of the contestants is trying to make an impression. let the singers have their moment.

• Karen C says:

I like the result shows too, if only that they would have time to have former contestants as guests. I liked a couple of years ago when they did where are they now on former contestants, and wish they would do more of that. Plus I don’t like the elimination results on the same night, because someone could have had a really good night but be eliminated from the last weeks result.

• Monica says:

Not really. I assume that they will do the results from the week prior in the first 10 minutes of the show and then continue on with the performances for those that made it through.

• Ian says:

I am too! you are not alone

• CTZ says:

Me too! I loved when Idol alumni came back to sing. I liked results night :(

2. Ginger Snap says:

It’s about time.

The only thing better would be the retirement of Idol and all its singing competition cousins. The format has become so dull.

• Nona says:

I agre it is about time the show i cancelled

• Timmah says:

They should have put an end to these singing shows a few years ago. Now they will forever be remembered as shows that were run into the ground until every last advertising dollar was squeezed out of them and long after the talent pool was left with but a few guppies.

• Troy says:

I do agree for sure, but at the same time, I love hearing people sing. I’m praying that Rising Star doesn’t come back, and that no other show like these are added, but I don’t mind them being here. Now I wouldn’t mind The Voice scaling back to just one season a year that’s for sure. It would be nice to see a Kelly or Carrie come out of one of these again, but that probably not going to happen. Regardless of their future, I enjoy getting to hear new talent on these shows. It’s hard to imagine a tv world without at least one singing competition. But the horse is getting beat, I do get it.

• Ray says:

That time came five years ago.

• JayNC says:

Then why are you reading blogs about it?

• Chris says:

If it’s so dull to u, please just don’t tune in or just ignore all together. If it hurts u or bothers u that things like this are still going strong, and STILL bringing in top viewing numbers for all the reality TV shows in america, then, maybe u should try finding something else to do. Everyone has their own things or thing that they’re good at and that they’re interested in.

3. BrittBrat says:

Took them long enough. The results show was so drawn out when you only need like 10 minutes.

• BrittBrat says:

I don’t know if the entire show will be cancelled in the next couple of years, but there are too many singing shows. The Voice and Idol come on twice a season and I’m burnt out. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

• Shazzer says:

I agree there are too many singing shows, but out of all of them, Idol is the only one that has produced any ‘stars’. I think people are tuning in to watch Judges these days, and not the competitions themselves. The Voice is popular, but their winners haven’t really gone anywhere. I see their songs on the iTunes charts every week, so they’re making SOME money off their crop, but after the season ends, its all about amping up for the next season. They haven’t had any Kellys or Carries out of all of their seasons, which is a shame, because they have the talent, but i really think their ratings come from folks that are into the Adam and Blake banter, and the music comes second. Their demo is probably girls and women, who LOVE adam and blake. Xfactor was thankfully put out of its misery, and i hear that it may come back, which would suck, I really do think that the over saturation of singing comps is a business move my competing networks, not to get viewers, but to bore viewers out of the genre. Idol was a powerhouse, but as more and more shows like it started happening (AGT, XF, SingOff, Duets) people are getting tired of the genre because its so common, and its killing Idol, which when you think of it, is a genius move. I dont think it can ever bounce back. It hasn’t produced a hit maker since I dont know when, and it can only get worse. I loved Idol, and I might try to keep up now that its one day a week. Can someone tell me, was the first season one day a week? I thought thats how it worked, maybe I’m wrong.

• Kim Swanson says:

I’m so torn! Results shows were often a bunch of fluff that could be handled in 10 min(except when David Cook would perform!) But I always love seeing former contestants come back. And a week is wayyyyyy too long to wait for a result. AI creates huge viewer investment in the contestants by allowing nonstop voting. If they would change the voting format to a more instant result from that night’s show, then I might be for it.

• Kays says:

Idol is just one season per year.

4. Tran says:

I’m happy that American Idol won’t have their own results show for good but having one night a week should do just fine.

5. Andie says:

I’m confused. As a West Coast voter, have I been disenfranchised?

• Timmah says:

No, it means you’ll have to wait a week to see which glorified karaoke singer gets the boot.

• Chris says:

How are they karaoke singers when they actually memorize the words, rearrange the music, and perform with A band that’s playing live? Lol. There isn’t a screen with lyrics telling them when to sing every word. .It really isn’t karaoke. If they mess up, or forget the words while singing, there isn’t gonna be a huge laugh from everyone and a round of shots taken. Sorry, if you don’t really know what karaoke is:\

6. Diz says:

Good, it’s about time. I zipped through the results show in about 5-10min. anyways.

7. Yoki says:

That’s one night too many.

8. bidaprint says:

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thank you for supplying these details.

9. I think it always depends on HOW they do it.

10. Joey says:

Would be better if it was trimmed down to never again, but I guess this is a step in the right direction.

11. Sara says:

Its so Sad . missing the result show . but thats ok because now its 2 hours . how ever i watch the show for Jennifer Lopez and i am here while the show is there and she is there too

12. Sushi says:

I like the results show, but ONLY when they’re a half hour long.

13. Mikaela says:

It just needs to go away. They haven’t produced a viable artist in years. Put it to rest and bring back Raising Hope or something equally as quirky.

14. Oparty jest na własnym doświadczeniu autorki.

15. Alex Ball says:

I’m confused how it can be 2 hours when it’s been announced that Empire will air after AI at 9??

16. kmw says:

The two hour installment airs the next day, JAN 8TH. Two weeks after that Backstrom premieres after it. I wished it would scale back right away so some of us wouldn’t have to wait so long for BONES.I realize Idol will do better than BONES but American Idol is now a lot weaker lead in the it was before. TBBT is still gong to rule that hour no matter how far their demo is down. I am personally sick of not only singing shows but reality shows in general. Idol should have left when Simon Cowell did

17. JayNC says:

Part of the fun of a two-night AI for me was that after the performance show you could read blogs and try to figure out who would be eliminated the next day. I will miss that.

18. Allee says:

One night is enough. But will they tell the poor slob who got eliminated or make them practice all week?

• Terry says:

Since when have they ever been kind to the contestants? Ha! They will definitely make the poor slob learn and perform a new song and then cut them at the end of the show knowing all along they had already been eliminated.

• JayNC says:

ah – I misunderstood. I thought they would sing, we would vote, and then someone would be eliminated based on the votes from THAT NIGHT, not from the previous weeks votes.

19. maria says:

I only watch for Keith Urban (yep, I’m that shallow…) so as long as they show him every now and then, it’s all fine with me.

20. Denise Franklin says:

I love Amerian Idol and all of the singing and talent shows. I don’t like going to one night. I love the whole process and knowing the background of the contestants. Ilove the fact that there is so much talen tout there that we would never know about who get a chance like this to be seen. I watch them all and look forward to seeing all the shows. I am not bored with it at all. At least it is clean viewing and benefits so many who woudl never be found who can sing better than some of the people who are judging them!

21. Natalie masters says:

So far this season stinks.There is no spark or pazzaz by either the judges or the contestants.There doesn’t seem to be a star in the whole group and the judges lack interest.