Golden Globe Nominations 2015: My Snappy Judgments

The 2015 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Gina Rodriguez!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Downton Abbey over Homeland). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Nods for Jane the Virgin and, because it bears repeating, its star Gina Rodriguez.
* All the love for CBS’ still-smokin’ The Good Wife, which scored nods for best drama, best actress (Julianna Margulies) and best supporting actor (Alan Cumming).
* Fargo! Allison Tolman!
* How to Get Away With Murder‘s Viola Davis sneaking into the best actress race.
* Transparent‘s Jeffrey Tambor snagging a lead actor nod. (And the show scoring a nomination, too.)
* Matt Bomer making the cut in the crowded supporting actor race for The Normal Heart.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough. (Yes, I copied and pasted this directly from last year’s Snappy Js. And I will continue to do so until something changes.)
* Downton Abbey‘s best drama nod. Love the show, but that slot belonged to the resurgent Homeland. Or Hannibal.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for The Walking Dead. Ditto The Mindy Project. Ditto Hannibal.
* The absence of The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell in the drama actor and actress categories.
* The omission of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga.
* Carrie Coon from The Leftovers getting left out.
Masters of Sex (and its leads) getting the shaft.
Sons of Anarchy‘s criminally underrated Charlie Hunnam getting zilch.
Scandal‘s Bellamy Young getting bupkis.
* No love for The Big Bang Theory, or its cast.
* Homeland getting snubbed for its comeback season. Also, where the hell is Mandy Patinkin?!
* No Tatiana Maslany?!
* The Dreadful omission of Eva Green.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. D. says:

I thought the same exact thing about Homeland being way more deserving than Downton Abbey. And I wish Mindy Kaling, Amy Poehler, Tatiana Maslany would be recognized for once!

2. Columbus says:

Super excited about Jane the Virgin.

• Greg. J. says:

Is me it or am I the only who doesn’t understand why Emmy Rossum is never nominated for any awards for Shameless or just the show itself. Last season was amazing and Emmy gave one HELL of a performance. Happy to see William H. Macy get nod.

3. cday89 says:

So excited for Jane The Virgin nominations! Does anyone remember the last time a CW/WB show was nominated? It’s great to see the show & Gina recognized.

4. Nic says:

There’s no Tatiana Maslany either, Michael!

5. Joana Scott says:

I just don’t get how all these award shows can only nominate shows that are on stations you have to pay extra for those of us that can afford it can’t watch it and therefore feel our shows are slighted. And by the way completely agree with you about Bellamy young

• JP says:

The quality on HBO/SHO/Netflix/FX is far and above that of any network show. If you want to watch an award show where network shows are well represented tune into the People’s Choice Awards

• Temperance says:

Correction: the quality of some (or a few) shows on pay channels is very high. Many of the shows are bad even if they are pretty. Or just plain bad like The Leftovers.

6. Phillip says:

Thanks Lord for no love for The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory…both shows are far, faaaaaar away for even being “good”.

But I agree about Downtown Abbey, this show was good, not anymore.

Glad to see Clive Owen nominated, The Knick is an amazing show.

Now…where’s Eva Green and Tatiana Maslany? Two big misses.

7. Marcus says:

I’m also upset about Bates Motel’s Vera Farmiga not receiving an Emmy nom. And where’s Getting On? That is the best show to come along in a long time. The show and its cast deserve nods.

8. T says:

Homeland is crap. Downton Abbey is fabulous. HFPA made the right choice.

• Julia Woody says:

Agreed!

• S. says:

I don’t think most people are that worked up about Homeland missing out to Downton Abbey–people need to consider that if they don’t see why Downton keeps getting Emmy/Globes love, maybe they’re the ones who don’t get it and it’s hardly the show’s problem. Neither of them would’ve won anyway (and I loves me some Downton). I don’t know that Homeland’s equally resurgent in buzz, just quality, and it had a lot of room for improvement after the initial tanking. There’s a lot of subtle acting on Downton and overall quality of production at every level that’s excellent. Call it soapy if you want, but it’s well crafted soap. Glad Joanne Froggatt got a nomination for her storyline from S4.

9. Kymberly says:

is it just me or should the TV categories be separated by type? Cable shows almost always dominate the nominations, while network shows are getting passed over. And now that you have streaming shows as well?! Yay for the Good Wife but where are the Scandal & Parenthood noms?! Nice to see a CW show finally recognized but I think if you broke apart the network, cable & streaming shows a lot more deserving people & shows would get the recognition they deserve. & don’t even get me started on another year of a Sons of Anarchy shut out!

10. Stephanie says:

YAY Matt Bomer!

11. collins says:

i was so pleasantly surprised about jane the virgin and gina rodriguez’s nomination. it didn’t even occur to me that a major awards show would even know about the CW.

as for t. mas, i am a HUGE orphan black stan, but let’s be honest y’all, season 2 was kind of eh and while her acting is always amazing, i want her to win for a season that is breathtaking, not become the next claire danes who ugly cries at everything, gets awards thrown at her and then withers in the shade thrown by people like us who are just over her. more recognition for t. mas, but only for reasons.

12. Cate53 says:

That supporting actress list is a joke! Michelle Monaghan? Kathy Bates? Joanne Froggatt? All good actresses but not that outstanding. Allison Janney again?? Only Uzo From OITNB would be on my list. Where is the fabulous Bellamy Young? Mellie is amazing. What about Julianne Nicholson’s heartbreaking Dr Lillian DePaul on Masters of Sex?

Delighted for Gina Rodriguez though!

13. Paul says:

Of every show, pro or con, named in this piece I only watch Downton and TBBT. Love Matt Bomer, but didn’t see The Normal Heart. As for Mandy Patinkin [even when he was on Criminal Minds] he’s too creepy. If I saw him in real life I’d recommend a psych evaluation.

14. natalia h says:

When they don’t even recognize the brilliance that is Tatiana Maslany (and I could just recover my comment from last year’s debacle), this entire show is void. Everything else is debatable, but when you have one actor doing 5 different characters and doing them all brilliantly… well, something’s wrong with the Globes.

I hope this is fixed when the Emmys come.

15. Viviana says:

Where in the world is Peter Dinklage? I mean, the trial episode? He should have won hands down for that performance.

• Joey says:

Overacting at its finest with a not-convincing accent doesn’t deserve a nomination.

• Brigid says:

I completely disagree, there was no overacting and if he lost his accent, I didn’t even notice. His performance that entire season was moving and better than the majority of people nominated. Peter brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion last season.

16. greysfan says:

Bellamy Young for me! Can’t believe she missed out again. The cast of The Americans also. The question i have is when drama’s are nominated is it based on the whole season or an episode? If its just an episode then i can see why Downton may have got the nod. I do love the series and i’m glad its nominated and i must say Homeland isn’t up to scratch this year at all.

That’s the thing about television. Everyone has their own opinions. Not every show is everyone’s cup of tea. Every single year i get disappointed because shows which are crap remain on the air while some of the good first year drama’s get cancelled. That’s the world of television for ya.

17. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

With such a competitive landscape there doesn’t seem to be enough room on the ballots. Downton Abbey gets credit for its production and ensemble, but has settled into mechanized fluff since the close of its first series. That neither lead from The Americans was nominated could be a sign of crowding and maybe even the usual politricks of the Hollywood Foreign Press.

18. annehedonia says:

I thought BBC Sherlock got snubbed, then found out GG’s prime time rule (must end by 10) disqualifies it for running over. It’s a 90-minute show. Random/ dumb.

19. j says:

I don’t think Viola Davis “sneaked into” the best actress race. I’m pretty sure she’s going to win.

20. Mie Iversen says:

Where is Hannibal?! Season 2 was brilliant in every way, and it frustrates me that this grotesquely gorgeous series and its actors get so little love.
    And no love for Masters of Sex? It continues to confound me why we’re not throwing awards at Michael Sheen for this role (or, you know, even handing them to him nicely)
    The Comeback, Lisa Kudrow, Parks and Rec, Amy Poehler, Hayden Panettiere, Homeland, Mandy Patinkin, Anna Chlumsky and Tony Hale should all be there!
    And I like The Affair well enough, but best drama, actor AND actress? Come on…
    The selection of nominees seems a little dull to me.

21. David says:

Jane the Virgin shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. The HFPA loves shiny and new. Last year, it went with Brooklyn Nine-Nine (which was snubbed this year). And, Jane is a foreign import that’s right up the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s alley. Since there are only 90 or so voters total, the Golden Globes are a bigger deal than they should be. After all, it’s possible to win a Golden Globe with as few as 19 votes.

22. msbenet says:

No sherlock too in the miniseries category. They said it does not qualify because they could not categorize sherlock ad a mini series? something to do with the change up of the globes rules? Can you confirm this? After all that emmy wins this is such a bummer

23. I can’t wait to see who will be the biggest winner and who is the biggest loser.

24. CR says:

Seriously, no love for Jimmy Smits for his work on Sons of Anarchy? Ridiculous.

25. Meh says:

Nothing for the Walking Dead or The Mindy Project? Woof. Another Golden Globes miss for me. I am severely disappointed.

26. Miranda says:

Ugh the constant snubbing of Hannibal and The Americans is making the Emmys and the SAGs and Globes look really, really dumb.

27. Pattygale says:

Never big Billy Bob fan nor fan of violence, but LOVED Fargo and most of off-beat characters in it, esp BB. Agree about Big Bang to a degree, but they’ve garnered so much praise, maybe time for someone else. The charm of The Walking Dead escapes me, tuning in week after week to see who gets eaten… Not my cuppa tea. Other than that, don’t have opinions.

28. Babybop says:

I agree with everything here. Not too excited for the awards this year.

29. Scarlett says:

I’m shocked and very pissed that Brooklyn Nine-Nine didn’t get a single nomination. Andre Braugher needs some serious recognition. The show itself deserved another nod as well.

30. Lauren says:

I guess Parenthood will never get the attention it deserves. And I’m bummed about Amy Poheler and Mindy Kaling. But I’m actually happier with the GGs than I was with the SAGs, who practically ignored Fargo.

31. David4 says:

I know this is a TV site but people still care about this garbage?

Tatiana Maslany wins in my eyes and anyone who has ever seen the show.

32. Sean says:

I think some of you guys need to realize that not everything can be nominated. But I do agree that there should be separate categories for supporting actors in comedies and dramas.

33. Allison W says:

I’m just laughing at this line:
    Masters of Sex (and its leads) getting the shaft

34. Julia Woody says:

I bet to dffer, Viola. Davis did not SNEAK in, she acted her way in!

35. Beth says:

I agree with whoever commented that the network and cable shows should be split up into two different awards shows, there is so many fantastic shows and the actors/actresses out there now that will never get any kind of nomination, yet people continue to watch those shows that do not get nominations because we as viewers know what is great TV.

36. Jordan says:

I’m not sure if I’m more upset about Amy Poehler being snubbed or the fact that she didn’t even make this list! Give Parks & Rec some love!

37. Nicole says:

I’m with you on Bellamy Young, Keri Russell, Mathew Rhys n Eva Green but also Joe Morton and Kerry Washington

38. Liz says:

What about Outlander??! This show is amazing, the leads wonderful!

39. gabu says:

Dear Michael Ausiello,
    I have a favor to ask of you. Please call 911, to report a robbery. Tell them the Hugh Dancy has been robbed and it keeps happening over and over. Continue the conversation as long as possible, then post it to youtube.
    -Sad

40. This has been the best season for Parenthood. No love for any of the cast? Unacceptable.

41. Chaya says:

I’m not sad Jim Parsons didn’t get a nod – Sheldon has become nasty, not funny, in recent years. I think some of the other guys should get nominated for supporting.

42. Amy says:

So many omissions to choose from to get upset about. I am going to choose to just be really, really excited about Jane the Virgin!!! Love the show so much and am so glad it is being recognized for the fantastic show it is.

43. Julie Vallerand says:

No love for the zombies….a pure shame! Same for Madam Secretary… Very happy for BIRDMAN…Good Luck Mr. Keaton!

44. Dan says:

Michael, you used it wrong again. “Without further adieu” doesn’t exist. It’s “without further ado”.

45. Dan says:

The inclusion of Alan Cumming in any “best of” anything is baffling. With his cartunesque expressions and openly gay delivery (for a straight character) in The Good Wife, he is by far the weakest link.

46. Dan says:

We can all be super-pissed about all those very fair complaints, but they would have to have 10 slots and give away 5 trophies for each category so that everybody would be happy. We know that’s not happening any time this century. That’s why awards things are so absolutely stupid.

47. Lauren says:

the fact that the americans was snubbed is INSANE. just insane.

48. Lizo says:

Any award show that snubs Tatiana Maslany and Eva Green is clearly not thinking right

49. CactusRose says:

Maybe I just haven’t seen the entire list, but it seems to me the big 3 networks are taking a back seat to cable’s shows. Yes?

50. Linda says:

I too am stunned that The Americans and leads weren’t considered AND am thrilled that Olive Kittridge was, along with Frances, Richard and Bill Murray. If you haven’t seen this incredibly acted piece of real life, find it – watch it and prepare to be amazed. It’s not an action show – but is so worthy of the nominations and I’m recommending it to everyone who has a soul. You will be blown away (it’s in 4 parts, shown two at a time).