Date Set for David Letterman's Final Late Show Broadcast

David Letterman Primetime Special

Start compiling Top 10 Lists of things you’re gonna miss once David Letterman has hosted his last Late Show, because the date has now been set for his swan song: May 20, 2015.

In making the announcement today (via a press release), CBS president/CEO Leslie Moonves acknowledged that “it’s going to be tough to say goodbye, but I know we will all cherish the shows leading up to Dave’s final broadcast in May.”

That may be putting it mildly, considering that the beloved funnyman is the longest-tenured late-night host in TV history (breaking even Johnny Carson’s record). A start date for the five-time Emmy winner’s successor, Stephen Colbert, is expected to be revealed shortly.

So, who do you think will turn up on Letterman’s couch before all is said and done? Who do you HOPE will stop by for one final visit? Hit the comments with your predictions/suggestions.

1. George Escarra says:

Drew Barrymore

2. Steve F. says:

Jay Leno.

3. erik says:

I have to admit I won’t miss Letterman one iota. I have tried to watch his show and found it totally lacking appeal and entertainment value (even Drew Barrymore’s flash was only worth a few seconds and certainly didn’t even get close to carrying a whole show).

4. Tran says:

Really going to miss Dave. A true late night icon. Can’t wait to see how Stephen Colbert is going to fare after The Colbert Report will end in just 8 days.

5. JG says:

I think any person whose work he admired such as Regis or a popular comedian. A shame that Robin passed away earlier this year.

6. queerbec says:

What? No Colbert until June? His last broadcast is next Thursday! What is he going to do until June? Personal appearances? Of course, he needs to work on developing HIS show in the interim and take some time off, but in show business, out of sight, out of mind!

• CMG says:

On the other hand, it’ll allow time for Colbert’s “conservative pundit” character to fade from memory, so it won’t be as obvious when he shows up on CBS not doing that schtick.

• David4 says:

Cobert will not be taking over in June. Most likely will be September and have reruns in the summer, or fill in guess hosts like CBS is doing for The Late Late Show.

7. Howard Stern, Oprah, Tom Hanks, Billy Crystal, Regis…all favorites of Dave

8. jp says:

chris Elliot..used to be a writer, the man under the stairs and other crazy things.

9. GuessWhat says:

I have been a Letterman supporter my entire life and will miss him. I will NOT be watching Colbert. I may tune into the two Jimmys from time to time. But they’re not great interviewers like Dave. Yeah, I get it — they’re entertaining and funny — but honestly, if you watch Dave you can appreciate how he listens to the guest and reacts and asks new questions based on responses. Leno was a horrible interviewer — he stuck to original questions and wouldn’t even react to new info given by guest. I believe Dave was good on his feet and adjusted interviews as they evolved. That’s a skill.

• c-mo says:

That is one of my favorite things about Dave. Rather than going off of his script, he and his guest have a conversation, kind of like you’re eavesdropping on them while they’re having coffee or a cold one. The only other host to be able to do that is Craig Ferguson and he’s abandoning us next week. Late night TV is going to be really sad beginning in May………..

• TV Gord says:

I appeal to you to give Stephen a chance.

Dave is my late night god! I was–like you NOW–disgruntled THEN when he replaced Tom Snyder, but Dave soon won me over, and I have been a huge fan since 1984. No one can replace Dave, but Stephen is excellent, and–in my opinion–the perfect choice for the next generation of The Late Show!

I won’t even get into Leno, but I really like Kimmel, too. I used to like Fallon, but I can’t tolerate his unctuous, sycophantic Sammy Maudlin routine on his Tonight Show. He may have snowed the masses, but I think he’s awful. On those occasions when he’s actually funny (instead of laughing for no reason), his best stuff shows up online anyway, so I feel no need to watch him.

Give Stephen a chance, though. He’s brilliant! You’ll be glad you did. :-)

10. I can’t wait to see what David Letterman’s last show will be and who will be the guest.

11. Ethel says:

He has to have Brian Williams.

12. keith says:

All of Johnnys wifes.

13. Garry Coltrane says:

I’d like to see him get “wined” up with Martha Stewart one more time for old time’s sake!

14. Steve says:

I never “got” Colbert, i know it was his act but i never found him really funny and from what i have read nobody really knows what hes like outside of the show so based on that why would CBS just pluck him away from Comedy Central to replace Letterman? It makes no sense but at least that prancing fairy “Conan” wasnt asked.

15. Steve says:

Dont like Letterman, he can be funny but his arrogance always surpassed his humor, i dont like Colbert , Ferguson was gold but now that hes gone CBS is dead to me.

16. John Scharf says:

President and Michelelle Obama should be one of Letterman guest of last show

17. discomatador says:

Letterman has been pretty awful since the turn of the century. But I remember his best guest being the comedians Bill Murray and Steve Martin, who both turned in routines & bits while doing the interview. LOL. Dan Rather and the Brokraw was always OK. Musical guest should be a classic –like he had Springsteen for his last NBC show. I know he likes Foo Fighters, also Rolling Stones or the Who (what’s left of them).

18. Carol Maggio says:

Dave’s Mother

19. Mike says:

His last guest is an easy choice. His other true love, Julia Roberts.

20. Giovanni Salvatore says:

Dave can I say we will miss you. My girlfriend Natalie has had breast cancer for 2 years now every night we watch you. Now what dave. Good luck dave thanks again for everything.luv Natalie & Giovanni Salvatore

• TV Gord says:

Thanks for telling this personal story. I hope you have many more years together, long after Stephen Colbert retires, too. May their laughter cure all of your ills and keep you both going strong together, man! Peace, love and happiness from another Dave fan.

21. J says:

There will never be another Dave! Thanks for the memories!

22. Ai Gee says:

Dave, please have your mom on before you retire.

23. Pauline lambert says:

I think either Julian Lennon, Paul McCartney or Christopher Walken may walk in.

We will miss you David Letterman

Pauline Lambert

24. Sherry says:

Kid Rock aka Robert Richie. I’ve been watching Late Show since the beginning on NBC. By accident, after watching the memorable Johnny Carson, I saw the very first show then I was hooked! Can’t check “See Dave in person in NYC” off my bucket list :-( . I can check off “See Kid Rock Live” and he’s been on Letterman and they seem so comfortable that Dave called him Bob. Maybe it was the midwest connection but it would be great to see him sometime during the last week.

25. Bruce says:

Jay Leno, of course. And Madonna, Paul McCartney.

26. Margaret Love says:

I’m not much of a tv person but I like to watch Dave when he had the animals on his show. I think his last show he should get the real tall man of all times on his show Mr. Trace Adkins. I don’t think Trace has ever been on his show. And have Trace do a couple of his songs and have Jack Hannah bring the animals back one last time. But they probably already know who they will have. Good luck Dave Letterman

• denise ruddy says:

i was very dissapointed in the last show, no jack hanna, no more regis,who carried him through his surgery no stupid dog tricks, just to mention a few of the things that made letterman funny, it was a waste of my time!