M. Night Shyamalan's Wayward Pines Thriller Gets Premiere Date at Fox

April showers bring… May haunting psychological dramas?

Wayward Pines, the 10-episode Fox thriller from M. Night Shymalan, will premiere on Thursday, May 14 at 9/8c, the network announced Tuesday.

The event series, which will debut simultaneously in more than 125 countries, follows a Secret Service agent (played by Matt Dillon, There’s Something About Mary) who comes to a deceptively bucolic Idaho town to search for two federal agents who’ve gone missing.

The cast also includes Terrence Howard (Empire), Carla Gugino (Political Animals), Toby Jones (The Girl), Melissa Leo (The Fighter), Shannyn Sossamon (Mistresses), Charlie Tahan (Law & Order: SVU) and Juliette Lewis (Natural Born Killers).

Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs) co-executive-produces the series and directed the premiere.

1. Drew says:

Looking forward to it. I am a big fan of Shyamalan’s work.

2. alistaircrane says:

I read the book it’s based on. Not bad. If people don’t like the explanation for the town’s weirdness, blame the book this time, not Shyamalan.

• Cory says:

I did not like the ending of the book, but I’ll watch this, because TV is supposed to be more about the journey than the destination, anyway, so if I enjoy it up until the reveal (which I hope they change) than it will be worth it.

3. LJ Bissonnette says:

I LOVE M. Night Shymalan’s work. He’s made some of the scariest psychological thrillers ever.

4. dman6015 says:

Why is ANY studio giving him money to produce anything at this point? He hasn’t had a hit in 10 years, and I don’t expect this to be one, either.

• David4 says:

After the Avatar movie he should have never been hired to ever make anything dealing with film or TV again.

• SUSO says:

That’s just not true. “After Earth” and “Lady in the Water” didn’t break even but all his other films did. Even major critical flops like “The Last Airbender” and “The Happening” made profits for their studios. So please check your facts before trolling. Thanks.

• johnhelvete says:

You would have a valid point if Wayward Pines was a 100 million dollar movie, but this is FOX allowing a guy that has made at least two great films to try his hand at TV. I would guess with the show being sold to 125 countries, FOX is making money regardless of the ratings in the US. It is entirely possible that the show is going to be a disaster, but it is still pretty cool that directors like Shymalan and Soderberg are doing TV.

• Drew says:

The problem has never been Shyamalan’s work. It’s been the marketing of his work. Ever since The Sixth Sense, his films have been marketed as having a “Shyamalan twist” which just doesn’t normally happen in his films. So people end up disappointed. They play up his movies as big blockbuster type movies when they’re more artistic type movies that you have to watch from a certain perspective to fully appreciate. With The Sixth Sense, he had a major hit and everyone wanted him to be the next Spielberg, but the two are nothing alike.
      The Sixth Sense was a good movie. Unbreakable and Sign were great movies. The Village was kinda weak but had good character stories. Lady In The Water was a bedtime story, and it worked as that. The Happening is best watched in black and white, since it is essentially a modern version of a 1950’s paranoia thriller, replacing nuclear weapons with global warming. When watched from that perspective, it’s actually a pretty good movie. Even Devil was a really good movie. And all of those movies (aside form maybe Lady In The Water) made a pretty solid profit. He is far from being a failure, he just gets bad press for not playing the role that the press wanted him to play.

5. Phillip says:

Sounds like a burn off. Pity considering it looks great.

• Ray says:

I disagree. The trailer looked horrible and M. Night has a reputation for producing awful dreck so FOX made the right call to shelve this project for summer when nothing else is on.

• Ally Oop says:

I thought the trailer looked awesome. My only beef with it is its only 10 episodes. I`d rather get into something that lasts longer. However I will watch it.

• alistaircrane says:

If it’s popular, it will come back. Under the Dome was billed as a limited series and was subsequently renewed for a second and then third season. Plus, Wayward Pines is adapted from the first book in a trilogy, so there could be more seasons if the show’s a hit.

• James says:

It’s a limited series. :)

• Dr. Opossum says:

It probably is a burn off, but the 24 revival pretty well premiering around the same time, so who knows? While there are a couple more books they could base sequels on, the series should be a complete story regardless.

• alistaircrane says:

It’s not. This was announced in May 2013 alongside 24: Live Another Day. Fox is moving to year-round programming. Wayward Pines was supposed to air last summer but was put off til summer 2015.

6. Ro says:

I don’t watch anything on FOX, but I’d consider watching this. His best work is Sixth Sense.

• Kvivik says:

I actually thought that Unbreakable was better than Sixth Sense, but I haven’t been able to get through any of his movies after Signs (which I was really disappointed by).

• N8frogg78 says:

I agree about Unbreakable being better than 6th Sense. But I enjoyed Signs too. I also liked The Happening and I know I’m one of the only people who will admit that.

• Drew says:

I like The Happening a lot. The thing about Shyamalan movies is that you have to watch them the right way in order to love them… The Happening is better in black and white. The dialogue, costumes and story make more sense if you watch it as an old 1950’s movie.
          Signs is his best movie, in my opinion. I have seen it a million times, but always see something new in it. The trick with that one is to let go of the idea that it’s about aliens. The movie is about people dealing with demons, which is why their personal baggage is so important to the plot.

7. Jared says:

Can’t wait to watch this. It does have a very Twin Peaks feel to it.

8. Brigid says:

Thi show looks great! I can’t believe I have to wait until May.

9. lizo says:

everytime I see this shows title, I think of that Psych episode where they did Twin Peaks.

10. WayneInNYC says:

As long as he’s not writing it, I may give it a shot.

11. N8frogg78 says:

Thank goodness! I’ve been waiting for this for a long time now. I was beginning to think it would never see the light of day. Im hoping its popular and they make the rest of the trilogy.

12. NelsonC says:

MAAAAY! MAAAAAAAAY! I cant wait till MAY!…..but i have tooooooo!

13. Joey Padron says:

Glad the show finally have a premiere date. Can’t wait to see it!

14. herman1959 says:

I agree that it does have a Twin Peaks feel, even down to the name. I’ll watch since I’ve been enjoying the recent spate of 10-episodes shows.