Supernatural Fall Finale Recap: Family Matters

Supernatural Season 10 Fall Finale Recap

It was quite a family affair on Tuesday night’s fall finale of Supernatural as Castiel sought out his “daughter,” Crowley reunited with his mother and Dean shared some John Winchester memories.

Over the past 10 seasons, a lot of people have been glanced over as demons and angels took unsuspecting humans as their vessels. Often times, that possession led to the innocents’ demise. They were, essentially, causalities of war. And like those who died in battle, they left behind loved ones – children, mothers, fathers, spouses.

The midseason finale was a thoughtful look at the aftermath of what happens to those people, with Castiel seeking out his vessel’s daughter, Claire; he can’t stop thinking about the things he’s done. Dean urges him to forget about the ones he let down or couldn’t save, but just like the hunter, he can’t do that, so he springs a troubled Claire from her group home after a hilarious conversation with her supervisor about what he does for a living. (“I fight certain deadly threats to humanity,” he says, to which Claire interjects, “He’s an exterminator.”) Claire remarks that Cas has changed from the tool he used to be — he’s nicer and kind of a doof now. But as soon as he suggests they stick together, she hightails it, expertly picking his wallet, so the angel calls Dean and Sam for help.

“Some chick bolting on you is not an emergency. That’s every Friday night for Sam,” is Dean’s reply. Still, they assist him in tracking down the girl after Cas explains his sudden desire to help, which Dean identifies as “a midlife crisis.”

Now, it doesn’t take an expert to see that Dean is going through his own internal struggle, but it isn’t until Cas sees through his “I’m great!” act that the elder Winchester admits that the Mark of Cain is still affecting him. He makes his friend promise to take him out if he goes darkside. “I can’t be that thing again,” Dean solemnly declares.

The trio eventually track down Claire, who doesn’t understand why her father had to die for some so-called greater good, and you can’t really fault her. It’s a cruel twist of fate. Not being close to his own father, Cas is having a hard time grasping the bond.

Supernatural Season 10 Fall Finale Recap“Did you love your father?” he asks the brothers.

“With everything I had,” Dean answers before launching into an anecdote about John Winchester. (Seriously, the show needs to stop toying with my John Winchester feelings, or just bring him back already!)

Meanwhile, Claire’s gone back to her friend’s foster father, who is using her to steal for him in order to pay back his loan shark. But in her mind, he’s family because an imperfect father is better than no father? Yeah, I think she might be rethinking that when he basically sells her to the loan sharks.

Cas and the Winchesters get there in time to save her, but one of the thugs hits Dean over the head, triggering his nasty side. When Sam and the others come back for him, a bloody Dean is kneeling amongst a bunch of dead bodies.

“Tell me you had to do this,” Sam pleads. Dean’s answer – “I did. I didn’t mean to” – is a bit confusing. “No. Tell me it was them or you!” As Cas surveys the violent scene, one wonders if he’ll make good on his promise come Jan. 20 when the show returns.

Supernatural Season 10 Fall Finale RecapMeanwhile, down in hell, Rowena and Crowley’s family reunion doesn’t get off to a great start. After all, Rowena was a a horrible mother who almost traded him for three pigs when he was a cute kid that could juggle and was worth at least five pigs, Crowley/Fergus (his birth name!) points out. He thinks his mom hated him, but she argues that a disagreement with the locals forced her to abandoned him at eight with no father. (He was conceived during a winter solstice orgy, so “it’s not like I was taking names,” Rowena says.)

“I’ll always be your mother, and I’ll always love you,” she offers before manipulating him into a reconciliation by telling him his righthand man has been smuggling souls up from hell.

Supernatural fans, what did you think of the bloody cliffhanger? Do you feel for Claire and hope she stays with Cas? And does the angel have what it takes to take out Dean?

1. Robby Horine says:

I’m glad that Jimmy made it to Heaven. Poor guy didn’t know what he got into when he told Cas “yes”.

2. Drew says:

I’m kinda thinking that Cas will get Jimmy back an give up the body.
    Really enjoyed this episode. I like how this season has been getting a little more down to earth this year. Less angel/demon drama and more humanity. Plus, they’re introducing a lot of potential hunters.
    I have no complaints about this episode at all. The Mark storyline is very solid. The way Dean was displaying the hunger throughout the episode, culminating in the slaughter was well played. Castiel handing Claire was an unexpected, yet really nice story. I’m also really surious to see where the Rowena plot is going. She is playing Crowley, but to what end? Will she be okay just whispering in his ear, or will she take the whole thing from him? Will his son come back into the picture?

• Drew says:

Sorry for the spelling errors. Typing while on hold with Ebay. Fun!

• Rick says:

Well, they confirmed Jimmy is dead and in Heaven, so I doubt he’s coming back. But I’m glad to see Cas making amends to Claire!

• Drew says:

Sam was in the cage with Lucifer. That seems like more of a challenge than Cas swinging by his home to pick someone up.

• Rick says:

That’s different, though – Sam was still alive and in the cage. Jimmy was exploded by an archangel and then sent to heaven. I thought the episode did a nice job of stating outright that Cas’s vessel is just Cas now. It’s all him.

• Drew says:

Yeah, it’s all Cas now. But that doesn’t mean that he can’t slap the soul back into it. As he did with a very dead Dean in season 4. Bobby was killed and brought back (season 5). Adam was very dead and brought back (season 5). Samuel Campbell was brought back from the dead. Castiel himself was brought back from the dead by God.
            Sam and Dean died and went to Heaven many times in season 5. So Jimmy being dead doesn’t mean that he’s off limits. It just doesn’t mean that he’s been put through hell since the end of season 5, as Castiel kinda fell apart.
            I don’t know that they will go this way, but Castiel is feeling a lot of guilt and responsibility toward Jimmy right now. Does that end at taking care of his daughter, or will it become more than that?

• Daisy says:

I hope not, jimmy is better. Off where he is. Cas is like the BEST character in this show.

3. Wilson says:

What a dull episode. Sam and Dean have barely featured in the past three episodes. I miss Supernatural being about their journey. Sam in particular seems to slowly be becoming part of the wallpaper. He barely even speaks any more.

• Robby Horine says:

Are we watching the same show?

• Alicia says:

Yes indeed, are we? Every episode does not need to be “the end of the world. ” I, for one, am happy with a bit of “normalcy, ” now and then. Give Sam and Dean a break! I am a huge fan of “The Three Stooges,” and watching S&D relaxing and yukking it up, was priceless! I loved the finale; it left many “bread crumbs” to follow. Viva SUPERNATURAL!

4. ninamags says:

What a snooze-fest. I don’t care about Jimmy or his stupid daughter.

Rowena will probably be able to manipulate Fergus easily.

Dean killing those a-holes doesn’t bother me in the least. They were scum.

• Patrick says:

This is a good point though. It isn’t up to him to judge whether or not people live. Supernatural Monsters, yes. People, even bad ones, are not his purview. Maybe these guys “deserved” it. But what if the next group doesn’t?
      Also, we all need to calm down about the dull complaints. They do 22+ eps a year. Naturally, some will be fillers. I’m OK with that.

• Drew says:

I didn’t see this as filler at all. I didn’t think it was dull either. I was completely drawn into the more personal plot of this episode, dealing with the ramifications of the lives that our heroes lead. I think this was a big episode for Castiel, as well as for Dean.

• Mo says:

I agree. The stuff that happens after the boys drive out of town when a case is over tends to get glossed over. They’ve only dealt with the “after” in a few episodes out of 200+ now. It was interesting to see these different reactions to these characters dealing with the consequences of having an absent parent. Even Sam & Dean, whose dad was physically present. And was it just me, or did Sam look like he might not have given the same answer as Dean when Cas asked about John? Not to mention all the emotional manipulation going on in all these “families.”

• Dakota60 says:

The problem was Randy he meant Dean or Claire no harm. Dean killed him too.

• Mo says:

Randy may not have tried to physically harm Dean or Claire himself, but you can’t say he meant them no harm. Especially Claire… he manipulated her into( trying)

• Mo says:

attempted armed robbery and then basically sold her when she failed. He didn’t seem to care whether or not Dean (or Cas or Sam) got injured. He was all about saving his own skin.

• Tracy says:

Randy turned Claire into a criminal and would have turned her into a toy for the other men! Randy deserved to die!

• Robby Horine says:

Randy (always a red-light for a name) sold Claire to pay off his debts. He meant Clarie harm cause that dude that he sold her to looked like he needed to be grilled by Olivia Benson.

• Rick says:

I disagree – it was an emotional episode and it’s really nice to see the aftermath of what happens when the guys blow through town. Claire was a fantastic character and wonderfully played by the actress, her scenes with Cas were really touching. Dean’s obvious covering up to Sam and Cas (who both see through him) was painful to watch, and I’m worried for him. Great episode, the time flew by, and I can’t wait to see what’s next.

5. Tracy says:

Glad we got a Supernatural recap! Lately all you’ve done is Flash and who cares about that show?

6. Rick says:

I loved last night’s episode – fantastic, touching, intense. And I’m glad they finally confirmed that Jimmy is dead (something that most of us already knew, but a stubborn few couldn’t wrap their heads around). I loved the interactions between Claire and Cas, and I’m so glad that Dean, Sam, and Cas are working together again. Those three are the heart of the show for me. January 20th seems like a long time from now, but after that teaser, I can’t wait to see what’s next for our heroes. Obviously Sam and Cas are going to save Dean, but how far will he fall first?

• Taimur says:

Dean will hopefully fall really far, as in king of hell far. I want Sam to eventually save him, but this time, at the very end of the season. The deanmon storyline has a lot of potential and I would hate to see it go to waste, as much as I love team free will.

• Robby Horine says:

I think we saw the last of Deanmon weeks ago. What we are seeing now is the Mark of Cain taking it’s physical and emotional toll on Dean.

I say the MoC will be taken by Cole.

• Taimur says:

The season 10 promo did say ‘year of the deanmon’. I’m suspicious about the ‘cure’. Firstly there was no consecrated ground and the blood wasn’t really purified. Also you are supposed to recite an exorcism of some kind before the cure can be completed. None of these happened. It looks awfully suspicious. I HOPE deanmon returns. We didn’t see enough of him. I hope dean dies and becomes a demon again in the next episode.

7. Raz says:

Rarely do you get to see the aftermath of peoples’ decisions, this episode provided that. Cas also had promiced Jimmy that he would protect his family and he is trying to keep that promice.

8. Angela Lightner says:

A midseason finale…what!

9. Salvatore Lover says:

This was a good episode but it did not feel like a mid season finale.

10. Anno says:

I’m not convinced that Dean was the one who killed those people. Usually when TPTB have an opportunity to show violence, they take it. Why did they not show the fight? I think Crowley may have been behind it all. If he can convince Dean that he is still evil, then he maintains some control. I also don’t think the writers would take Dean to a place where he can’t come back from. The other thing is the tag line they used to promote the episode, “things aren’t always as they appear” or something like that.

• ninamags says:

You bring up an interesting point. We didn’t really see Dean attack them. Guess we will have to wait and see.

• givemepie says:

I’m pretty sure Dean with MoC did this. He’s having flashbacks to other episodes of extreme violence from his Deanmon days, so when he got hit and knocked around he ‘went’ there again. The whole year is about family and the effects of what’s gone before so this episode really brought that home. I liked it and am ready to see where they’re taking the family stories next year! How odd was it to feel sorry for Crowley – he has no one, no friends or family or anyone he can count on! His BFF left him and now he only has his murdering, lying, manipulative mother – and I don’t think he believed her about his #2, he killed #2 because #2 (can’t remember name) was killing Crowley’s mom and wouldn’t stop. So that will be as intriguing as the MoC storyline I think.

• Yanez says:

I think the tagline may be talking about Dean. He’s been pretending like he has it all together (and under control) and he keeps telling Sam he’s fine, but we learned at the end of the episode that what he’s been saying isn’t true.

11. Cherie Winchester says:

Excellent! Been watching Supernatural since day 1. Never fails to entertain. Thought provoking. Amazing cast and writers! I highly recommend Supernatural to all viewers. Enjoy the ride ( in a 67 Imapala).

12. Alicia says:

I love SUPERNATURAL with a passion. I was happy to see Sam and Dean having a “normal” moment, watching the “Stooges,” eating a grilled cheese sandwich. That was priceless! The whole episode was wonderful, when Dean reminisced about their dad was an incredible moment. The day this brilliant show ends will be a very sad day, indeed.

13. Daisy says:

This episide was funny. Cas is AWESOME!!!❤️

14. Sam and Dean should find a way to get Adam out of hell. Dean should realize Crowley is the source of that mark. I love Supernatural. Is season ten over? When will 11 come on? Get Adam out of hell. He is their brother. Make Crowley do it with Castiel Sam and Dean. Thank you.