Ratings: 2BG, Scorpion Rise; Castle Dips to Series Low; Molly Returns Down

Mike Molly Season 5 Ratings

CBS’ Mike & Molly on Monday night returned to 8.1 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating, down 27 percent in the demo from its previous premiere and matching its May finale.

That said, the Season 5 sitcom improved on The Millers‘ most recent numbers (6.3 mil/1.5).

Opening the Eye’s night, 2 Broke Girls (7.7 mil/2.0) rose 12 and 25 percent. On the drama side, Scorpion (10 mil/2.1) gained two tenths and NCIS: LA (8.7 mil/1.6) ticked up.

Elsewhere….

ABC | With NFL preemptions subtracted out, The Great Christmas Light Fight returned to 6.8 mil and a 1.7. Leading out of that, Castle‘s winter finale (7.3 mil/1.4) was down 14 percent and a tenth, to a new series low demo.

NBC | The Voice (10.8 mil/2.5) slipped 5 and 11 percent to series lows for a performance show. State of Affairs (6.3 mil/1.6) was flat.

THE CW | The Originals (1.4 mil/0.6) held steady, while Jane the Virgin (1.2 mil/0.5) ticked up.

1. Tran says:

Great to see Mike & Molly back but we’ll see how this season is going to hold up and last night’s 2 Broke Girls episode with the Victoria’s Secret models was one of the best of the season in my opinion (always have a crush on Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs).

• Ken says:

OMG totally disagree. That was one of the worst episodes, if not the worst of the entire series, of 2BG. It was not funny, horribly written, and basically a 30-minute commercial for the Victoria Secret’s Fashion Show. It was so bad, it made me question why i’m even watching such a terrible show which – let’s face it – is pretty bad to begin with.

2. Julia says:

I love Mike and Molly! Considering how much better it performed than the Millers, I think it is in decent shape and won’t get cancelled anytime soon. :)

3. Katherine215 says:

Glad to see NCIS: LA rise, and that promo for the Xmas episode looks intriguing from a Densi perspective!
    Every week, I watch State of Affairs, and every week I wonder why. The premise is a bit ridiculous (why does her team do stuff outside briefing-prep work?), and I’m sorry to say I don’t find Katherine Heigl appealing or believable in this role. I love her in romcoms, but this isn’t working for me. But I keep watching. Actually, I feel the same way about the Walter character in Scorpion – he’s such a jerk, and I can’t seem to stop watching that show either.

• Tran says:

I’m still hooked on both Scorpion & State of Affairs. They’re doing OK respectively.

• Katherine215 says:

Scorpion is, but State of Affairs is pulling the same as or lower numbers than two shows in their 6th and 7th seasons, with a better lead-in. While I realize State of Affairs is only in competition with other CBS shows for renewal, and not its time slot counterparts, those numbers have to be disappointing for NBC.

• Tran says:

I beg to differ but I really don’t know if it was a good or bad idea when CBS move NCIS: LA to Monday nights this season and we all know that the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot has been one of the toughest competitions in prime time TV.

• JC says:

I feel the same way about Walter. His character is so unappealing imo, but I still love the show because I really like all the other characters <3 and it has a lot of humor and heart

4. Moment says:

I can’t see State of Affairs being renewed, if you take away The Voice the numbers would go down low enough to not make it worth the renewal. It hasn’t been the hit NBC no doubt were expecting it to be.

• drhenning says:

I don’t know about that since it is up against shows that appeal to the same age group… I find it OK but watch Castle first… Glad to see they finally threw Castle out of the NYPD… He had no business being there…

• Moment says:

The more recent episodes have pulled underwhelming numbers, not to mention it has failed to take advantage of having The Voice before it. It also pulled a 1.4 in the half hours and is looking likely to adjust down to a 1.5. It just doesn’t seem like a show that could survive if renewed. NBC will use the Monday 10pm slot next fall on its next ‘hit’ show so it couldn’t remain there.

• Tran says:

NBC will make a decision whether State of Affairs gets canceled or possibly get additional episodes maybe at least 22 for an entire season and even though we won’t wait when The Blacklist returns for its post Super Bowl episode come February 1st, the series move to Thursdays @ 9 p.m. beginning February 5th should do just fine.

• Moment says:

Additional episodes is possible but renewal I seriously doubt. It’s failing in the best slot on the network. I think The Mysteries of Laura is more likely to be renewed over this show. So far on NBC I would say the 2 Chicago shows, Grimm, Mysteries of Laura(Does well in arguably what is NBCs death slot), The Blacklist and Law and Order are certainties for renewal.

5. Anonymous says:

Mike and Molly were on Monday night December 8th at 8:30 on CBS and we watched it and it was great. It could be that most people did not know the time and the fact that it aired last night is probably why the ratings were not where they ordinarily would be. Their next new episode is next Monday.

6. Cassie says:

Matt, should we start worrying about Castle season 8?

• TicaTica says:

I’m not worry about Castle. They didn’t show it in some areas. I think some of them won’t show it until Sunday. So the ratings are ok. Still my favorite show!

7. RBA says:

Matt,

It is a series low for Castle in Viewers as well

8. Dan says:

Glad Scorpion is doing well. My favorite of all the new shows. It reminds me of Leverage but even better. They couldn’t have picked the team much better. They work in sinc like a well oiled machine. You could say like the A Team used to back in the 80’s.

9. davej13 says:

Regarding Castle – I still watch it, but it has moved to second on my DVR priorities below NCIS:LA. I posted this before and I will say it again – the wedding shocker from last year left me feeling very betrayed and upset with the show. While I still watch it, I have not yet fully forgiven Marlowe and the producers for what they did. It was a horrible decision and I don’t know how you guys make up for that.

• Judy says:

I totally agree that Monday’s at 10 pm is a tough time slot. I am an avid CASTLE fan but I use to watch NCIS LA before it was moved to Monday nights. Both are great shows but CASTLE wins my heart.

• Christina says:

It’s moved to second or third on my DVR, and I don’t even watch another Monday show to compete with it. I just don’t find it as compelling as I once did, and I can’t even pinpoint why.

10. Luli says:

Damn it Castle! Hope the rating get better, next episode looks like a fun one.

11. dman6015 says:

“Everyone” is getting tired of Castle. Mike and Molly stopped being decent after Season 2. Never should have been renewed for this year. It’s just terrible now.

12. We love Mike and Molly, I think they need to but her back in teaching and have her write something on what the young children say. Because they can say some of the funniest things. Then have Mike and Molly moving out and being out of debt.
    As for the two broke girls it is just so,so. We watch it because there is nothing else on and it is entertainting. Could be funnier.

13. billybobby says:

Good to see Molly, Molly, Molly & Friends back on the air. Not the greatest show, but EASILY better than anything else on CBS this night. My goodness, how fast the CBS Monday night has fallen.

With broadcast TV dying, is there ANY surprise that a season premiere is lower than last year? Standard Operating Procedure at this point.

P.S. I’m surprised anyone watches 2GB’s anymore, yet alone actually critiques it.