TNT's The Librarians Opens as Cable's Most Watched Debut of 2014

The Librarians Renewed Season 2

People checked out The Librarians.

TNT’s series adaptation of the Noah Wyle-led TV-movies premiered on Sunday night to 5.4 million total viewers, ranking as cable’s most watched series launch for the year to date.

With an encore factored in, the two-hour premiere amassed 7.3 mil.

In the 18-49 demo, The Librarians drew 1.6 million viewers (and 2.3 cume), ranking No. 2 among this year’s cable launches (trailing only Being Mary Jane).

If you watched the Librarians premiere, what did you think of it? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to elaborate.

1. Moment says:

Excellent, hopefully it keeps up the momentum and gets a second season.

2. Boiler says:

After what they did to Perception can’t watch TNT. Glad those that did enjoyed

3. So freaking excited about this show. It is a total cross between Warehouse 13 & Leverage 2 shows I miss. I can’t wait to see the next episode

• RUCookie says:

Was definitely feeling Warehouse 13 – magic objects, big vault, people trying to steal power. In fact, I thought it was more Warehouse 13 than The Librarian movies.

• Wordsmith says:

It’s silly, but in a very endearing way.
      I feel like they nailed the action/humor tone right out of the gate much better than either WH13 or Leverage, which I liked but always felt were just a tad too sophomoric and cutesy. This seems to combine all of the best elements of both.

• Righhhhhht?????
        I mean, in a weird way remembered me of Xena, and Hercules, and all those action/comedic silly series that would make you forget the silly villains and terrible effects because was just entertaining. I just loved!!! Good thing they didn’t make a slow thing with The Librarian and The Guardian. Pff, that’s solved, let’s focus on the juniors and have those two bring new air every now and them. Very good indeed!!!

• David4 says:

I loved Leverage, might have to give this show a try before it’s canceled.

• Wordsmith says:

Did you miss the part where it’s the most popular new cable premiere of the entire year? I think you’ll have some time to get caught up.

• Quinn Mallory says:

First season of The LIbrarians apparently only have 10 episodes, so we’re already 1/5th of the way through. It’s looking good for a second season though.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Not with the recent-record high ratings it got. This is why the new network leader cancelled shows like “Perception” & “Franklin & Bash”… Just wait until Christian Kane & Larroquette are replaced by Rebecca’s husband & his lookalike brother!

• You do know that the Librarian was before both shows. Esp. Warehouse 13.

4. GeoDiva says:

It’s on my dvr to watch soon.

5. Kay says:

Loved all three movies so I was nervous about the new rendition. It was great. Kept husband & I attentive and entertained. #TheLibrarians

6. John NYC says:

I thought Lindy Booth looked familiar: can’t believe Relic Hunter was so long ago.

Fun show and I’ll take what I get, cancelation is for tomorrow.

• Stacy says:

Right?! I too watched Relic Hunter, though I barely remember any of it. I was thrilled to bits when i saw what a good job she did (imo) on The Librarians.

7. Joey Padron says:

First two episodes was really good, it was good to see some of characters from TV movies. I’ll keep watching.

8. Ryan says:

It’s too early to determine how the show will do with Noah Wyle only being credited as a special guest star. He was the best part.

• Moment says:

Hopefully it’ll do well enough for renewal. Then they can cast him in a recurring role next season. Given that he’s working on Falling Skies Season 5 at this moment, he’ll be able to do a full time role on this if renewed.

• Stacy says:

While Wyle’s great, I’m actually looking forward to the cast taking more of the reins. For the majority of the pilot they were spectators, with each given a few minutes to display their ‘special talents’.

• April says:

Right but hopefully when he gets done with the final season of falling skies he can be a regular on what I like to think is his show he is the Librarian after all fingers crossed but the rookie Librarians and the guardian is pretty awesome too

• tjchurch2001 says:

I’ve never seen “Falling Skies”, so I won’t comment on it,

Regarding “The Librarians”, however,…

It is not his show, & he is not the main character. They made that pretty obvious in giving it the plural of the word in the title. If that didn’t clue you in, getting the group together in the pilot (along with Noah leaving at the end) certainly got the job done.

As I remind myself daily when seeing ads now (during “Castle”, etc.), I have yet to watch this past Sunday’s episode, & may never. Much the way Bruce Campbell was a reason to watch despite what I felt was some less-than-stellar writing, Noah is a reason not to watch regardless of an episode’s other traits.

9. Andie says:

They cancelled Perception? Ack! Why do they keep cancelling my favorite shows??? They never should have cancelled Leverage!

10. Sara says:

Oh man, I totally forgot that this show was premiering last night! Hopefully there is an (another) encore I can catch of it before the next episode! I really loved the tv movies and had been looking forward to this show.

11. Help me out here…the first killer, in the black hat, what is his name, can’t find it in the cast of characters? Seen him in so many things and can’t think of his name.

12. Diz says:

With so many cancellations from TNT lately I’m not gong to invest in any new shows from them. Good for those who will though.

13. Ethel says:

Thought it was pretty good but I really had trouble understanding 2 of the characters when they talked….the girl who does the math stuff and John Kim(forgot his “talent” on the show). I recorded it so perhaps next time around it will be better for me. Of course, Christian Kane is always wonderful eye candy!!

14. mariangela says:

I am watching right now and I get a Doctor Who vibe which is great cause I love that show!!!

15. Jared says:

I honestly just don’t see the appeal and the popularity of all of these TNT shows. The production is so second-rate and with practically all unknown or at best C-list actors. You look at shows on other cable networks like Suits, Justified, American Horror Story, The Americans, etc… and the TNT shows look like high school productions compared to them.

• Stacy says:

While I agree that the production is second rate, unfortunately no big network-big budget is doing much in the “adventure of the week” stories. So while I’ll complain a bit, I’ll deal with the kitsch. :) And as a secondary reason: how many of the shows you listed could be described as family friendly?

16. this was bad the first time. This premiere finds Noah Wylie trying to act like David Tennant as Doctor Who. It’s a pity Wylie cannot act his way out of a paper bag.

17. Frank says:

I won’t watch anything on TNT after they cancelled Dallas.

18. tjchurch2001 says:

It was decent… But the second half ended smarter than it started, tossing Noah (who can’t do any sort of comedy). Now, get rid of Larroquette & bring back more of Newhart & Curtin. (Maybe ass Jon Tenney with Rebecca & Christian, & make “King & Maxwell” Season 2 like you should have over this in the first place!)

• monieet says:

Totally, totally agree. While I love Rebecca & Christian, TNT always, always, did I say always cancels shows that – the good shows that we want to see. Why start watching when it will get the AX.

19. greysfan says:

The Librarians was great and i enjoyed it. I’m wary of TNT shows after they cancelled Perception but the series is too good to miss. Can’t wait to see where they go with it.

20. DavidSask says:

The only show I ever watched from TNT was the great, The Closer. None of their shows premises, cast, compare to their competing cable outlets. TNT is the CBS of cable, to lazy to change channel!

21. christopher bee says:

Love the characters (Yes, i tip my hat Mr. Kane), dislike the campy production and one of the worst FX i´ve ever seen on TV.

22. arial2 says:

Enjoyed the premiere. I think Rebecca Romijn is a better fit in this role than in King and Maxwell because there is more deadpan humor, which she does well. I was pleased to see Matt Frewer in what appears to be a recurring role (still miss Max Headroom!). I was worried about Christian Kane’s character, but I shouldn’t have been: very funny combination of brains and brawn. Like Matt, I wondered about Noah Wyle’s character’s change from the movies, but the script seemed to attribute that to his being shattered by the death of his mentor (Bob Newhart’s character). I’ll be back for more, either in real time or dvr.

23. jmanphxaz says:

After 1 hour i sorta lost interest. I love Leverage and the Librarian movies, but for some reason I just couldn’t get into this. I finished watching the whole thing though, not sure a out the next episode though…

24. girlfriday says:

The fact that it didn’t follow the same line as the movies and it introduced new characters makes it a hit with me. Same general theme but with a bit of a twist is a refreshing approach to a successful movie franchise. Many before have tried and failed to make a series out of a successful movie line; I think this one has promise.

25. Ninoska says:

The Librarians was amovie first or this show is a reboot of an old one?

26. monieet says:

Are you kidding me. TNT can kiss my a**. Bring Back Leverage. I will never watch anything on this network again. You killed Leverage! You’re dead to me. Now they have Eliot playing Hardison. come on. Just should have kept LEVERAGE. BRING BACK LEVERAGE.

27. Victoria says:

If it kept like the primeir and not got into the great sensationalizim you have a HIT!!!

28. Marsha Marie Nari says:

Love Love Love it.

Funny and entertaining.

Love all the characters.

29. chris says:

Not sure why Warehouse 13 was cancelled after seeing this….it was much better with a much better cast….

30. Paul says:

Fun fantasy with good action and good humor. We will be watching

31. I got bored about 2/3 of the way in and did not care what happened,so quit watching.

32. somedude13 says:

This is possibly the worst series I have ever seen. Way too much storyline occurs in episode. The FX are done on Microsoft Paint. The “bad guys” are terrible at life in general and about no part of the entire episode is believable except maybe for the intro where he gets the opal out the safe. That is the only cool part. The fact that people are praising the show shows how far standards have dropped

33. jimc says:

Thoroughly enjoyed it, BUT it will be disappointing if Noah Wyle is not part of the cast!!! His comedic timing and not taking himself serious was the reason I tuned in.

34. Carmen Spears says:

Great start. I hope Noah shows up many times in the series. His relationship with the new characters works. Also when and if Bob Newhart can no longer play Judson it will be a sad day.

• tjchurch2001 says:

In the premiere episodes, I saw no relationship between his & the other characters. (They had all been competing with him for the job he eventually, without explanation, got.) That, plus the plural in the title, means there is no need for him onscreen anymore.

35. Lisa says:

Just fun! The characters’ personalities and abilities are icing on the premise cake, and TV enjoys the return of fun to the evening lineup. Kudos to all who brought this show to us, the viewing public!!! Love Christian Kane always, and his new mates are wonderful foils for his brand of acting. ;-)

36. Craig bergman says:

Great fun, I hope it continues. Episode three just as good as first two, if not a little better.

37. Lonney Corder-Agnew says:

Well-written “Cat and dog in a barrel” plot with kudos to strong, intelligent characters.

38. Michael Weisser says:

I just gave it a its alright vote, that means I’ll watch it if there isn’t something better on. Why did TNT and TBS play the same movie from Xmas eve (and all night) and all day Xmas day “A Christmas Story” over and over all that time? I think that’s really, really strange. Its the one about this kid wants a beebe gun for Xmas.

39. Krysh.kebab says:

Can anyone say warehouse 13?

And what the f is a minute-or?

(Minor-tor, say it again people, minor-tor)

40. Karen Szachnitowski says:

I loved “The Librarian” and have looked forward to “a” series for several years . I am extremely disappointed because I believed that Noah Wyle was going to be the star of the series instead of the series being a spin off with other actors. Noah Wyle “is” The Librarian. Bring him back!!!

• tjchurch2001 says:

Perhaps he WAS… But like most things in a library, he had become old & dusty & outlived his usefulness!

The only way to bring it back as another film, let alone a series, is with a replacement, be it Christian Kane, Rebecca Romijn, or even Bob Newhart!

41. Christina Andre says:

I love this show so far. It’s something I can watch with my kids and we all enjoy it! I hope it gets a second season.

42. p says:

A total rip off of Warehouse 13!!!!

43. Jonathan Conlin says:

Want more of this series. The Librarians is so cool. Please continue it. Want so much more. :)

44. jenny says:

love it just wish noah was in it all the time

45. Tina Paxton says:

Loved the series…quite refreshing in a magical sort of way lol…hope it gets a second season…love the actors they are perfect please dont change them…love Christian Kane

• tjchurch2001 says:

I agree that I love Christian (since “Leverage”), & loved his & Rebecca’s work (apart & together) on the unfortunately-cancelled “King & Maxwell”… Also love the others (whose names I have yet to learn), with 2 exceptions.

Am hoping season finale found way to explain more long (endless?) breaks for Larroquette & Wyle.

46. jerri says:

great show similar to warehouse 13. i liked that one too and was sad to see it go. i hope the librarians will continue for a many seasons to come.

47. Jennifer Lynn-Eckstrom says:

I really like the show the Librarian’s. Its be fun & different & keeps me interested. I hope it comes back. Its been a great show & I have truly enjoyed watching it.

• katie says:

SNAP!! I love waking up Tuesday mornings to watch the recorded Monday night air!

• Tina P says:

I heard that the librarians is not being renewed for a second season … ARE U Kidding !!… its a great show ,,especially on sunday nights.. TNT needs a show like this … ratings say people liked it … really? If u dont listen to your customers then u lose business …. i hope enough people respond requesting the renewal …love the show

48. The Librarian says: