The Flash: Stars Wars' Mark Hamill to Reprise '90s Role as The Trickster

The Flash Mark Hamill

The Trickster awakens.

Star Wars icon Mark Hamill will guest-star on The CW’s The Flash this season, reprising his role from the 1990s edition of the superhero series as James Jesse aka The Trickster, HitFix’s Alan Sepinwall reports.

On the old Flash series, Hamill tormented John Wesley Shipp, who on The CW’s freshman hit plays Barry Allen’s wrongly incarcerated father. Now, James Jesse is serving a life sentence at Iron Heights as a next-gen Trickster pranks Central City and The Flash.

“Having Mark reprise his role as The Trickster was on our original wish list when we were planning our version of The Flash,” exec producer Andrew Kreisberg tells HitFix. “Christmas and Chanukah came early for us this year when he said yes!”

The Flash airs its midseason finale, Episode 9, this Tuesday at 8/7. Hamill will appear in Episode 17.

1. Arleen Sorkin should play the elder Trickster’s sidekick, Prank.

2. SO MUCH YES! He was easily one of he best parts of the original show.

3. The next actor from the original to show up in the new one should be Tim Thomerson. He can play Barry’s uncle, his father’s brother.

• Elf says:

Actually, isn’t Amanda Pays scheduled to appear as Tina McGee at some point?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct.

• William Benson says:

I’m really beginning to think they’re up to something here. Two characters from the original playing their old selves.

Is it possible that they try to tie the two series’ together somehow? That maybe Shipp’s Barry lost his powers and went into some form of witness protection before meeting a new woman, settling down and having a son whom he named Barry? Then his wife dies and he realizes what happened…took the blame and now his son is ‘reliving’ his old life?

Just spitballing. It’d be kinda cool though in a sort of ‘Doctor Who’ way where they took years off between versions but they all count.

4. GhostWolf says:

I love how they are bringing back the original actors to the current show. Looking forward to Mark’s appearance as well as Amanda’s.

5. AW says:

Looks like the old Flash series is having a reunion on the new Flash these days! Wonderful! I hope they can also get the old Flash’s sidekick on the new Flash too!

6. The Kaibosh says:

I remember the Flash series with John Wesley Shipp. It was OK. I mean It wasn’t terrible but it also wasn’t so awesome that it was a crime to cancel it. I remember it as a failed super hero tv show. I have nothing against Mark Hamill reprising this role: it should be fun. But I’m curious. Why are people gushing? It’s not that big a deal is it: to have people reprise their roles from long ago? I don’t get it.

• ScottJ says:

Yes it is a big deal. Many viewers have fond memories of the original show (which with a 22 episode run was hardly a failure), and its nice to the see the new show happily acknowledging “they did it first”. Getting Mark Hamill is rather a big casting coup anyway.

• The Kaibosh says:

I guess I remember it differently because like I said I if found it OK. And I don’t want this to become a thing but I don’t agree because it had 22 episodes it was a success. Practically all shows in 1990 had 22 episodes produced. The Flash wasn’t renewed so ultimately it was a failure. That shouldn’t be in dispute. I get the fond memories part and the wink and nod to the older show but like I said: I don’t see these casting choices as earth shattering.

• Jenny says:

A 22 episode run is not a success. 22 episodes is an average season for most shows.

7. Steve F. says:

Nice nod to the past (again). Plus, it’s always nice to see Mark Hamill – especially ahead of a certain movie that opens next year!

8. Briggs says:

I never watched the original Flash. I’m excited because it’s Mark Hamill. :) I don’t know how much we’ll be seeing him in Episode VII, but if this is any indication, maybe not front and center. Would be interesting if he passes Harry in prison and they give each other a onceover, though. A ‘he looks familiar’ moment. They may not do it, but anything geek referential from Mark would be fun. :)

9. Sabrina says:

This seems like a coup for them! Mark Hamill is having a good year. I LOVE The Flash! Such a fun ride.

10. BigMike(FromNorthHillInAkronOhio) says:

It is awesome how The Flash is letting stars from former shows past star in this.Just like Smallville had paid homeage and did the same with former Superman movie/TV stars.This definitely is a recipe for awesomeness.Hoping this show lasts just as long as Smallville did, and look forward to show’s return in Jan!