Dancing With the Stars Judge To Exit

DWTS Len Goodman Quits

Dancing With the Stars will step forward without a key player, should the ABC reality series make it to Season 21.

Len Goodman told reporters over the weekend that his days at the judges’ dais will end after Dancing‘s upcoming springtime run — and E News! has since confirmed the exit (though ABC and producers have yet to officially comment).

“Next year, I’m not going to do the flying backwards and forwards [from England to the United States] – I’m not going to do the American show,” the Brit told reporters. With a wife and son, as well as a hospitalized mother, across the pond, “I just need a bit of time off to get on with a normal life.”

Goodman also said he has bowed out of the January/February 2015 tour of the UK’s Strictly Come Dancing (on which DWTS is based), though he has no plans at all to vacate his role as a judge on that competition series.

ABC’s DWTS this past season added former dance pro Julianne Hough as a fourth judge, possibly in preparation for Goodman’s possible exit.

Will you miss Len, come fall 2015?

1. Tran says:

Really going to miss Len. He was such a charming and talented Brit. At least DWTS still have BRUNO (my fave).

• Lee says:

I wish it was Bruno leaving, he has his favorites and he is not a good judge! As for Len, I will miss seeing him, I always felt he judged fairly and never had a favorite.

• Lee says:

I never liked Bruno from Season one, I felt he had his favorites, and rambled on and on about nothing. Len I will miss a real gentleman!

2. Eric says:

As sad as it is that Len is leaving, I’m actually kind of glad. Not being I want him to leave specifically, but because the show works better with 3 judges and 3 judges only. Having cut the show down to one episode a week, they already have to fit in a lot in just one episode. And half the time the judges don’t get to give their full comments and critiques because there isn’t enough time. Maybe going back to the 3 judge format they’ll actually have time to give more comments. But it is sad to see Len go. It will be weird not having him on the show.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Sad he is leaving but not surprised at all. I figured that’s why they added the fourth judge and were having guest judges, plus I think his health is a factor in his decision. Having said that, Julianne Hough is no replacement. Carrie ann’s raging hormones are bad enough, add Hough to that…..I haven’t been able to sit through an entire episode since she signed on.

4. MDEP says:

Awww, who will get the last 10 from Len?

5. Denise Rambo says:

This was mentioned earlier this season – on the show, I believe. Len just got married and I’m sure he wants to spend more time with his new wife.

6. Rebecca says:

I will miss Len very much. I feel like he provides a lot of ballroom expertise to the panel that some of the other judges don’t have.

7. Julia says:

Aww I am going to miss Len. I was really hoping it would be Carrie-Ann…

8. Iakovos says:

He’s the best judge on the panel! he is the only one who keeps the proceedings close to the line of true ballroom dancing and away from “that jackassing about.” I will miss him but will enjoy the spring run even more now.

9. BARB says:

I HATE TO SEE LEN GO. AS FOR MY PERSONAL OPINION, I THINK JULIEANNE IS A LOT BETTER DANCER THAN JUDGE. WOULD LOVE TO SEE HER GET BACK OUT ON THE FLOOR. SHES FANTASTIC.

10. CBWBDK1 says:

You lucky americans. I wish he would leave strictly. He just send home the best dancer the show has ever had! Not an opinion, but a fact.

• Bear75 says:

THIS^^^ I still can’t believe that happened?! I can only assume that it was somehow rigged so they would avoid an all girl final again or the voting has been down, so they tried shock-tactics. It worked – utterly, utterly, utterly shocked.

11. Kristi says:

Len adds so much to the judges table and will be missed, terribly. I appreciate his honesty, sense of humor and encouragement to all of the dancers. He’s always honest in his scores but makes a point o be positive and supportive in his feedback to the dancers. You’re a class act, Len and I’ll miss you.

12. kw says:

Where I do understand that going back and forth between LA and the UK is extremely taxing on a person. I will definately miss Len and wish him well

13. Angela says:

Aw, shame to hear this! I like Len! He always gave good critiques.
    But I certainly understand his reasons for leaving the show. Wishing him well with whatever he chooses to do next.

14. Gwenna says:

Len let the “cat out of the bag” on BBC’s “The Glen Norton Show” awhile back. He is not getting any younger and trecking back and forth across the Atlantic can put him in “jet-lagged” pressure cooker.
    Thanks for the memories Lenny…Enjoy your new family…You’ve earned it !!

15. Joanne says:

NO I’m glad!! It’s about time. Now all they need is to get rid of Carrie Ann then maybe people will start watching the show again.

16. Barbie says:

Get rid of Bruno,

17. JEWELS says:

I will very much miss Len. I can’t stand Julianne. She is so full of herself. I hardly watched the show last time because of her. Only reason I watched what I did was for my husband.

18. jinene dunne says:

I will miss you Len! Family comes first. The show won’t be the same without a ten from Len, but I wish you all the best!

19. JILL UNGERER says:

I think I like riker and allison i make sure that they will win

20. JILL UNGERER says:

Riker and allison to get the mirror ball and win the whole thing

21. Unanimous says:

I’m quite excited that Len is FINALLY leaving! Although, he is a judge he tends to lean more to have favorites. Usually he picks the couple who had danced ballroom dancing before and he isn’t fair. For example Ricker is an AMAZING dancer yet he always gives him a 9 instead of a 10. He rarely ever makes a mistake and Len is unfair.

22. Marlene Krupke says:

Len was my favorite judge. His wit and humor balanced the voting. I will miss him very much, but respect his desire to spend precious time with his family.

23. John Ingalls says:

I am quite sad to hear he is coming back. I really enjoyed this season without him. Watching him I’m reminded of a slick used car salesman. He personally attacks contestants and then gives his vile smile attempting to influence voting. I for one believe the show was much better without him.