Homeland Recap: The Return of 'The Guy Who Kills Bad Guys'

Homeland Fara Dies

This week on Showtime’s Homeland, with the embassy under siege, Peter Quinn swung into action, near-Die Hard-style, while Carrie and Saul’s ride back from the hostage exchange continued to be wild.

With Martha having realized that the embassy is being infiltrated by Haqqani and his men, Quinn quickly tries to recall some the Marines who had been sent to the site of the attack on Carrie and Saul’s caravan. But until then, it’s him and a couple of Marines versus about a dozen baddies.

Meanwhile, Carrie and Saul survived the bombing, though others weren’t as lucky. Carrie calls Aasan Kahn to request backup from his troops, but Talseem “advises” him to hold off on doing so for 10 minutes, if only because the Americans have had their way on their soil for so long. (All told, she has little regard for Aasan, the man who keeps insisting “our enemy is our friend.”) At one point, Carrie is called upon to help out by laying down some suppressive fire, so that the Marines can get a bead on a sniper, but she goes Full Rambo, scaring the gunman away.

As the CIA follows “burn” protocol, Lockhart finds himself in custody of the “crown jewels” aka an exhaustively assembled database of all assets in the region that Sandy never trusted to back up onto a D.C. server. He gets it to “the vault,” a safe room within the embassy where Martha and others are gathered, but Haqqani soon enough comes knocking, executing a hostage for each moment that they delay in opening the door/turning over the file. Quinn and a Marine meanwhile pick off a couple baddies, then cop a radio to get wise to their game plan. Back in the vault, Lockhart shoves Martha side to turn himself and the list over — and as he does so, Haqqani guts one last hostage, Fara. At that point, Quinn and the Marine open fire, taking out all but Haqqani himself (who nonetheless took a bullet) and two others.

In the aftermath, Quinn “questions” Saul about anything he might remember from his captivity that could lead them to injured Haqqani, until Carrie eventually has to intervene. Martha meanwhile visits husband Dennis, who — knowing that everyone has been ordered to “bug out” the next morning and return to the States — asks her for her belt. As he sees it, if he takes his life and spares her further disgrace, there’s the chance this black mark will be swept under the rug. She hesitates, then seems to consent, but notes: “It can’t be my belt” that he uses. She fetches his from a locker and throws at it him, with plenty of disgust at his “selfless” but cowardly way out. (Come morning, we see that Dennis didn’t follow through and indeed will go back to the USA to pay the piper.)

Also come morning, Quinn is MIA — because the night before, he craftily duped an enemy tail and eventually commandeered their vehicle, abducting the driver. Having already pinched one burner phone from a guy he killed inside the embassy, Quinn finds an identical one on his hostage, and seems to form an idea/plan. With him a no-show for the first transport out, Carrie beseeches Lockhart to let her stay behind five days to see what’s what. Lockhart begrudgingly agrees — the government no longer wants her representing their interests there, especially with diplomatic ties formally cut — and warns that neither she nor Quinn will have official cover.

Saul points out to Carrie, “There comes a point where you’re no longer responsible,” but she says she’s not there yet. He then notes that POTUS is readying the troops for even worse fallout, and warns her to be careful. “I will,” she says.

What did you think of “13 Hours in Islamabad”?

1. Zenobia Jackson says:

Another solid episode. I would have loved to see the ambassador’s husband die and I was disappointed by Fara’s death. I love that actress and at least we’ll get to see her in Ben Hur. Homeland has really reinvented itself…I just dread the long breaks between seasons. I want Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin to win emmys for this season.

2. Julie says:

Oh Peter Quinn – I love you. please make it to season 5. Good episode – can’t tell whether I’m surprised or not that Martha’s husband didn’t die but I was sort of surprised that Lockhart made it to the end. I really thought it was going to be Carrie going rogue to get the list back and Peter having to chase her down, not the other way around.

3. Sparky says:

The first 20 mins was crazy tense!!!! Brilliant hour of TV

• Julie says:

I think that was the most anxiety I’ve ever felt watching a tv show. I really thought we were going to lose someone I loved – Peter, Carrie or Saul. And while I knew that it wouldn’t be Carrie, I didn’t feel as sure about Quinn or Saul. I was sorry to see Fara go however I don’t think in real life Lockhart would have tried to save the hostages by giving up the list.

4. Martin says:

WoW!!! Can’t be better.

5. Mollytanner says:

Ok that moment Max rested his chin on Fara’s head. I wasn’t not emotionally ready for that. And when Martha was readying the belt I think I changed my opinion 5 or 6 times on what she should do.

6. Kate says:

maybe I’m crazy for saying this but did anyone else feel like Martha’s husband is going to set Martha up. I think it may just be the fact that I question everything he does but…

• Julie says:

When he didn’t kill himself and they showed him in the SUV, I definitely felt like we hadn’t seen the last of him. I half expected him to use the belt, strangle his guards somehow and escape. :)

• Marc says:

The scumbag will probably try to blackmail her with the fact that she handed him the belt in exchange for her help in getting a lighter sentence or something. He is truly a weak, despicable weasel.

• The Beach says:

Probably because every role that actor plays is some variation of a sneaky, sleazy guy. I NEVER trust the characters he plays.

7. Tran says:

Another great episode and good to see Homeland back after being off last week but I was shocked and saddened about Fara’s death and fans of the show are thinking that Dennis Boyd is the one central character of the season people love to hate. As for Peter Quinn, he’s becoming like Homeland’s version of Jack Bauer and he’s always kills bad guys for a living not to mention what happened when he accidentally shot and killed a poor and innocent little boy in the Season 3 premiere. With only two episodes left this season, let’s hope Carrie & Co. survives before they return home to the United States and what about Max? I mean where’s Virgil when we need him even though we haven’t seen him during the course of the season.

8. Jon Battle says:

lockhart Was weak. He should have let Haquanni shoot all of those hostages instead of giving up the list.

• Marc says:

That’s always been the problem with Lockhart though; he has no idea what it means to be a spy or what it means to be in charge of the CIA. He never should have been tasked with replacing Saul. Saul understood.

• LAwoman says:

Exactly. Lockhart continues to make the case that he should NOT be Saul’s replacement. He’s completely out of his element.

• The Beach says:

In real life he would be immediately relieved of his job at the CIA for turning over that list

9. andrew says:

Brilliant episode. This whole season has been one non-stop roller coaster and leaves me gripping my seat. Intense is not a strong enough word to describe each and every episode, the latter does not disappoint.

As for Quinn, I do think he’s going out in a blaze of glory. This will be his last season as his ‘last stand’. He’s already proven he can’t go back into ‘normal’ life and his duty as a human, his whole existence is to do what he does best…CIA ‘stuff’.

Sorry to see a very talented actor say goodbye this week as well as John – I loved him as he dialed in the drones and called the play by play in the control room and elsewhere. They each had their special role and their ability to keep the backstory going was strong.

Next Sunday cannot get here soon enough!

10. andrew says:

I was sorry to see a very talented actor say goodbye this week as well as John – I loved him as he dialed in the drones and called the play by play in the control room and elsewhere. They each had their special role and their ability to keep the backstory going was strong.

Next Sunday cannot get here soon enough!

11. Jake says:

What an episode, loved it. Can’t wait for next week with Carrie & Quinn going all rogue! Side note: when are Carrie & Quinn gonna hook up lol.

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ve really been liking this season of Homeland a lot better than the last season. I don’t think the show is as good as it was in its Damian Lewis days, but it’s as good as it can possibly be without Damian Lewis, if that makes sense. I’m enjoying it. I hope you’ve been enjoying it too, Matt. I can never tell what you guys really think of the shows you write about on this site. Y’all are pretty good at keeping your personal emotions out of your reviews.
    So, Haqqani is quite a bit scarier than Abu Nazir. The killing of those hostages was incredibly sad. I’m glad he didn’t get to Max. And I was really happy to see Max being so heroic in this episode. He rocks. He’s come a long way from being Virgil’s “creepy brother.” I also love seeing Peter kick some bad guy ass. I don’t think we’re going to lose him this season, but I do highly suspect we might lose Saul in one way or another. Mandy Patinkin was on The Colbert Report not too long ago giving a very impassioned speech about how he was going to run to be prime minister of Israel. I couldn’t figure out if he was joking or not, but he sure sounded serious. This made me think we’re losing him from Homeland.

13. Drewer says:

Good episode, especially loved the Max stuff! I’m surprised John died, i really thought he was going to turn out to be slimy in some way, not like a traitor, but like he always sort of seemed like he had his own agenda and was collecting dirt on everyone else. Maybe that is just me. They should have burned that file though.

14. Dante says:

enlist the help of another pow they seddenly find…Jack Bower! He and Carrie locate Quinn and all hell beaks lose!…Great Finale!!

15. Jo says:

Please remove the spoilers about Fara from your title – I typed Homeland in google (to read episode 9 recap) and now the next episode is spoiled – not yet shown in UK.

16. Mike says:

On the edge of your seat all through last episode , can’t wait for next showing .
    One of the best series I’ve seen so far all the cast are good very true to life .
    Thanks all Mike

17. Lyn12 says:

Jack Bauer would have been right at home in this episode. Have to say I have not missed Damian Lewis’s character at all this season. Actually, the whole scenario surrounding him always struck me as ridiculous, whereas some aspects of this embassy crisis seemed all too plausible. Intel types, take note: Have a fake “assets list” handy in case something like this happens!

18. agent86 says:

First of all, the actress portraying Martha deserves strong consideration as performer of the week. Her reaction when she saw hubby in the suv was understated and priceless.
    Second, why did the Pakistani military let Quinn out of a locked compound?

19. TL says:

This show is leading the pack right now. Expect to hear…”and the winner goes to…HOMELAND” A TON come EMMY time.

20. Jaz says:

brilliant episode. Gripping stuff and it kept me on the edge of my seat.
    My heart sank a few times as felt I was there witnessing this first hand.
    Really good job folks. Thanks and praise to the makers, actors.

21. Jaz says:

brilliant episode. Gripping stuff and it kept me on the edge of my seat.
    My heart sank a few times as felt I was there witnessing this first hand.
    Really good job folks. Thanks and praise to the makers, actors.
    Saul is the man!!!

22. Pam says:

Best scene of a night full of them? Boyd vs. Boyd. Ambassador’s facial expressions ran the gamut from horror, to careful consideration and then disgust. More of that please.

23. Brian Reed says:

I want Carrie to kill that ISI bit*h.

24. Sabrina says:

Brilliant episode. The first 20 minutes had me on the edge of my seat and I can’t wait for the next episode. It was very sad to see Fara die.

25. DD says:

The “driver” Quinn abducted is the ISI’s dirty-work guy, the one who coordinated Sandy’s death and kidnapped Saul from the airport.

26. Ella says:

I haven’t had a TV show affect me that way in a while. My stomach was in KNOTS, I had to pause the first 20 minutes about 10 times and give myself a minute. Poor Fara :( Asshole Boyd. I especially hate that ISI bitch, I want someone to destroy her.

27. Jess says:

Thanks for putting the MAJOR SPOILER “Fara dies” in your title…

28. KRUS says:

Can you just making spoilers just in title, morons? I googled homeland 4 Farah because i just wanted to read something about this beautifull actress… And I found your spoilers on first site od Google search results. Arę you stupid or something?

29. margaret says:

i love homeland iwish carrie wouldmake brodie come alive again to say that he was not dead and they would make a pack yes peter quinn is great to keep doing home land mags