Peter Pan Live! as Told by Twitter: A Dead Maid, Hot Lost Boys and More

Peter Pan Live!

Sometimes, you learn more about a major television event by not watching it. That was my experience Thursday, as I enjoyed Peter Pan Live! not through my own eyes, but through the eyes of Twitter.

(Disclaimer: TVLine Senior Editor Michael Slezak did watch Peter Pan Live!, so if “accuracy” is more your flavor, check out his photo recap of the best, worst and “whoops-iest” moments.)

All right, friends, here’s what I gathered…

It all started with a dead maid:

But the maid’s death (murder?) was quickly swept under the rug when Peter and Wendy met. Shipping began immediately:

Then came the group field trip to Neverland. Sadly, the magic of HD apparently nullified the magic of stage flight:

Suddenly, a hush fell over all of Neverland, as an (allegedly) gay crocodile sashayed onto the scene:

This was followed by a surprising amount of thirst for the Lost Boys Men:

Of course, others preferred the Native American gentlemen:

And then there was Resurrection‘s Frances Fisher, who just said, well, this:

Viewers had mixed feelings about Christopher Walken’s Captain Hook:

But in the end, there was one thing everyone could agree on:

I’ll end with this gem, courtesy of Nashville‘s Laura Benanti, who played Baroness Elsa in The Sound of Music Live! Unfortunately, Benanti was unable to watch Peter Pan in real time — I can relate — but that didn’t stop her from crafting the perfect dream cameo:

Did you actually watch Peter Pan Live!? If so, what was your favorite part? Are you Team Hot Lost Boys, Team Hot Native Americans or Team Hot Pirates? Drop ’em in the comments section below!

1. David4 says:

Some of the lost boys were really damn good looking.

2. Drew says:

My favorite part was the end. Seriously, Minnie Driver delivered more punch in her ten minutes than Williams did in three very very long hours.

3. Chloe says:

I thought Allison Williams did a great job, the dog was adorable & the croc was a hoot. As always, Christian Borle was terrific. Walken’s performance was, um, understated.

4. Maryann says:

This production was certainly better than the Mary Martin version. It’s at least possible to get suspension of disbelief from time to time that Allison is Pan. Favorite part? Peter’s song at the end about tryIng to go home only to find he had been replaced. That and the emotional resonance from his finally coming to see Wendy only to discover that she had grown up. And
    was I the only one that wondered if Mrs. Darling had been to Neverland herself long, long ago?

5. ninergrl6 says:

I loved seeing so many Broadway vets in the cast, particularly the Newsies playing Lost Boys and Taylor Louderman as Wendy. I’ve seen so many of them perform live on stage, and I’m thrilled that through this tv broadcast more people throughout the country can be exposed to these talented performers.
    Then there’s Christopher Walken, who arguably will get the most press and demonstrated the least amount of genuine musical talent. I hate stunt casting for ratings. Give me unknown talent over “stars” any day.

6. Rdub says:

Was that “As the World Turns” Jack Snyder as one of Hooks crew???? Why yes it was…I’m not crazy! HA!

7. Outraged says:

WOW what an incredibly sexist bunch of tweets. Words fail me right now…

8. robinepowell says:

I tried watching it because there was nothing else on. I turned it off after ten minutes. Then just watched the last five minutes.
    I like the story of Peter Pan but this one didn’t catch my attention.

9. Steph says:

Alison was great, but Walken was terrible. Ruined it for me.

10. shar says:

OMG, I absolutely loved the pirate crew! Rest dragged QUITE a bit, and the Peter pan/hook sword scene was laughably bad. Still, pirates saved both Walken and the entire show. Too bad they chose walken and allison, I think two great leads and the show would have been a true classic,

11. RUCookie says:

Its with events like this that I really hate our arm-chair critic, snarky, mean spirited self absorbed culture. Peter Pan Live was lovely. It was theatre on TV – of course the croc was silly, of course you can see wires, and of course there were hot men that could dance… seriously people, go see some shows on Broadway.

12. sandmann says:

Of course it was as if you were there live, wires and all. I agree, to many wisenheimers going around negatively criticizing everything, who, in reality, know very little about anything beyond their vapid, banal, so ever-exciting existences. Self-important twits, tweeting at every turn, 95% venom, 0% substance… Much like their real lives. This was a fun romp, as the cast was jubilant, energized, and heck, didn’t make any brutally noticeable faux pas, other than the obvious wires, croc, and… Not much else. Those are expected in a live play. The tweets from the so-called, self-professed celebs, were mostly xenophobic, homophobic, and sometimes, homoerotic pschobabble, from, you would think, without knowing them any better, were inmates at either the local psych hospital, or the state’s house of corrections.

13. Margaret says:

Laura Benanti wins, everyone needs to follow her on Twitter, she’s golden.

14. I LOVE PETER PAN LIVE HE WILL CALL ME PETER PAN LIVE 985 789 8248.

15. DO YOU WANT GO TO MY BIRTHDAY MAY 4 2015