Report: Krysten Ritter Is Jessica Jones in Marvel's New Series for Netflix

Krysten Ritter Jessica Jones

Krysten Ritter has reportedly landed a Marvel-ous new role.

The former Don’t Trust the B— in Apartment 23 star has scored the lead role in Marvel and Netflix’s 13-episode drama Jessica Jones, according to our sister site Deadline.

Netflix’s series finds the former superhero — powers include flight and super-strength — hanging up her cape to open a detective agency. Jessica has multiple connections to other Marvel characters and organizations, including Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man), the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D.

Your thoughts on Ritter as Ms. Jones? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. alistaircrane says:

I am not familiar with Jessica Jones but I am looking forward to the series. Plus, Krysten Ritter was great on Veronica Mars so I expect her to be good here as well!

2. BH says:

Love her. So glad she’s playing a lead role again

3. Shaun says:

Nooooooo!!

• Jericho says:

My thoughts exactly… There were so many better choices that were linked to the role.

• Delirious says:

There must be like a handful of worse casting choices for Jessica Jones, tops. I simply don’t see it, knowing Ritter’s past performances (in all genres), her looks (vs Jones’), and whatnot.

For me, of the rumored options, Alexandra Daddario would’ve been the best choice, followed by Teresa Palmer and Marin Ireland (even if both are blonde)… This just isn’t it, at all. I wonder if they’ll screw it up 100% by casting someone like Eddie Griffin or Tracy Morgan as Luke Cage, instead of Terry Crews or Malik Yoba, for example…

4. James D says:

Ummmm? really? she’s not a terrible actress but i can’t see her as JJ.

5. No. Just… no. Nothing against KR, but I just don’t see her as Jessica Jones.

6. Deion says:

Krysten is going to have to get in the gym, but I think she might be able to do it.

7. People are all like “Jessica Jones hangs her cape to become a detective” and I’m like “what cape? Is it invisible? She’s not wearing a cape!” :P Is there a version of her costume that has a cape?

8. CBWBDK1 says:

Terrible casting!

9. Jensen says:

Oh great another white woman, Marvel’s not even trying with their casting choices. At least DC Comics is trying to give us a bit of diversity while Marvel keeps casting the same old white people.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Cry me a river!

• Pat says:

Uh oh we got a butthurt white dude. LMAO.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Boo hoo. They cast a white actress to play a white character. They should’ve cast a black actress instead. They should replace all white actors with black actors! Would that make you happy?

• Pat says:

Hey CBWBDK1 thank you for showing us your arrogance and ignorance. Newsflash: Diversity doesn’t mean casting black actors. Like take for example, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Holy batman seriously, get your head out of your you know what. There’s plenty of ethically diverse white females out there, heck there are some mixed actresses who look white for you butthurt white fanboys like CBWBDK1. Jesus us white folks can be so embarrassing sometimes. *Shakes head*

• Pat says:

*ethnically not ethically lol

• CBWBDK1 says:

Lol. You’re pathetic. This has nothing to do with arrogance or ignorance. This has to do with staying true to the source material. She is a white character. Deal with it!

It makes as much sense as casting a white actor to play blade. That would be ridiculous!!

• Pat says:

I always laugh when people throw out the “staying true to source material”. Cmonnnn. You freakin serious? Geez where were you when Marvel and DC Comics whitewashed their characters? Remember when all the fanboys creamed over Liam Neeson as Ra’s al Ghul. But hey I guess whitewashing is cool, look at the hunger games or other shows/movies white washing their characters and not “staying true to source material” LOL whatever, it’s pointless to argue with someone who says “staying true to the source material” lololol. Okay buddy.

• benedict cumberbatch says:

remember when benedict cumberbatch played KHAN in the star trek movies. LMAO hey ohhhhh ‘staying true to source material’ for the epic win!!!!!!!!!!! what time to be alive!!!

• DL says:

Well, you might be pleased to know that in other news The Good Wife’s Mike Colter is supposedly nearing a deal to be Luke Cage. He’s the guy who plays Lemond Bishop.

• Tai says:

DC comics has diversity? I’m pretty sure they’re casting the same white people too. Flash has pretty much been their major step towards diversity that I’ve seen. Maybe you know something I don’t though. But I definitely don’t see how DC is more diverse than Marvel at all.

• christine says:

Oh please! Luke Cage is black. They made Sam Jackson the head of SHIELD. There is a black Spiderman. They cast a black man in the Fantastic Four. I agree diversity is crucial but race swapping every character isnt the answer.

• Torpedoed says:

Yeah cause three characters is race swapping. Plus they already said why Sam J. Was chosen. Because the character that they designed him after in one of the comics was actually designed after Sam J.

10. dax says:

Love Krysten! She’s been entertaining in whatever performance i have seen her in (obviously top-of-the-mind being the “B” in Dont trust the B in Apt 23) .. look forward to it!

P.S: ABC, still haven’t forgiven you for putting Dont trust the B in Apt 23 to rest!

11. M3rc Nate says:

Eh, i dont see this as good casting. Obviously i will hold my full opinion until i see a episode or two but Krysten Ritter as a super hero? One that kicks ass and then is a detective? Shes too cutesy and thin.

• Kat says:

Well, she also played a pretty convincing drug addict, so…

• M3rc Nate says:

And we all know Superhero’s with super strength and the ability to fly (and look strong and convincingly like a kickass character) = drug addict…….lol what? How does that logic work? “Hey man…Adam Brody played a convincing drug addict so that means he has the chops and look and ability to play Wolverine!” lmao

• Kat says:

My point being Ritter can play more than “cutesy.”

• M3rc Nate says:

My point was that her face is cutesy…even when she was a drug addict she is facially really cute….cute+skinny (not muscular) doesnt = badass superheroine and then kickass detective in my book.

12. ggny says:

yes yes yes yes yes. Huge fan of Jones,Cage,Iron Fist cant wait

13. James says:

Well, I have now lost complete faith in these Marvel/Netflix shows.

14. jjsemp says:

Ever notice that Krysten Ritter can’t deliver a line without jiggling her head like a bobble-head perched on a car dashboard. Irritating.

• Timmah says:

Sounds like you’ve only seen her in one show.

• viv says:

No. I’ve seen her in several shows & they’re right: wide eyes & nodding as she manipulates is a tic of the actor. She is adorable tho–like Brittany Murphy & Lori Petty had a lovechild. Her cloying hyperactivity can be a bit much…

15. Jellymoff says:

I adore her and am also a huge fan of Jessica Jones but can’t see her in this role. I hope she can change my mind, I will be watching for sure.

• Dan says:

Ditto. I like her a lot and Jessica Jones is a kickass character, but I see someone more like Janeane Garofalo as JJ, not a tall, conventionally pretty model lookalike. Here’s hoping to be proven wrong, tho.

• DL says:

I’d hardly call Krysten Ritter conventionally pretty. I find her attractive, but also rather odd looking, though in a compelling way.

• Torpedoed says:

I agree with you DL. I guess she is conventionally pretty cause of makeup maybe? But she just looks so particular. Still attractive, but not conventionally so.

16. Dave says:

great!!!! I love her!!! I’m so looking forward for this Marvel-Netflix collaboration!! Hope agents of shield will pass on netflix top

17. A White Woman says:

What’s wrong with a white woman? Don’t you like white people? Are you intolerant? Racist? Can’t we all just get along? Kumbaya? Don’t judge? Free to be you and me? Can I buy you a coke?

18. Holly says:

Hey it’s Jane from Breaking Bad!

19. Eh, not feeling it, at least right now. Doesn’t seem quite right, but we’ve been surprised before.

20. Joey Padron says:

Great casting news! Happy Kristen landed a great role & will be part of Marvel world!

21. Juan says:

But… Alexandra Daddario… She… I’m sad

22. John says:

What a fiasco in casting. After Leto as Joker

23. Kristina says:

Krysten Ritter on a TV show again, and even better, as a superhero? I’m in! Only thing better would be seeing her appear on S.H.I.E.l.D. in the role.

24. Whimsical says:

Ill keep an open mind because I am a fan of both Jessica Jones and Krysten, but not really feeling her in the role.Some of the other people up for the role would’ve been a better fit, I think.

25. Cideric Rhyes says:

Ritter was best choice for the role out of those being tested. She can pull being foul mouthed and charming which is essential for this character. I am a little more miffed at the Luke Cage casting. I would have tried to cast Cirroc Lofton.

26. ? says:

I just don’t see it. I like Ritter a lot but . . . I just don’t see it. Of course, we’ll see how it works out when it’s released.

27. Torpedoed says:

For some reason the lot of you seem to think that when we ask for diversity we only mean black people. When you assume things like that in an aggressive and negative way it just screams anti-blackness. When saying we want someone other than a white woman to play certain characters, we mean a latina, a native or indigenous women, an Asian women east south or otherwise. There is so much more beauty in the world to be represented than someone we already see everywhere and in everything.