The Mentalist Final Season Premiere Recap: 'Do You Have a Plan?'

This Sunday, CBS’ The Mentalist kicked off its seventh and final season — as well as the official courtship of Patrick Jane and Teresa Lisbon. What’s your initial reaction to the sliiiightly new dynamic?

The hour opened up sweetly, with Lisbon (still on leave in the wake of her engagement/move imploding) suggesting to Jane that maybe he should have a key to her place. She then suggests they keep their romance under wraps at the office, seeing as her thing with Pike went down in flames. (If only everyone had so matter-of-fact a reaction to the news as Cho!) That said, Abbott is quick to pick up on “whatever’s going on” between agent and consultant.

Other changes at the FBI’s Austin office: Agent Fischer is gone (having abruptly left to care for a sick mom, though she did leave Lisbon a brief note wishing “Good luck with Jane!”), while Quantico rookie Michelle Vega has joined the team, played by Make It Or Break It‘s Josie Loren. Vega is near immediately a target of Jane’s skills (he insists she is former military; truth is she quit West Point when her dad died), and dare I say she seems to have turned young Mr. Adler’s head?

The Case of the Week was quite good, involving an undercover FBI agent murdered outside a bowling alley, where he was investigating some gun-running. Jane zeroes in on the tough-looking broad from the alley, but without any evidence, she isn’t ‘fessing to anything, let alone murder. Later, Jane realizes that the vic decades ago witnessed his best buddy’s (ultimately fatal) abduction, and thus possibly bumped into and recognized the kidnapper at the alley. A bit of razzle dazzle by Jane solves both cases, uncovering the hidden guns stash and revealing the alley’s manager to be the onetime kidnapper/killer.

At episode’s end, Jane bumps into Marcus Pike, and apologizes for how things played out with Lisbon. “So, do you have a plan?” Pike asks, noting how he was offering Teresa a life, a home and a family, if she wanted. Is the man she instead chose ready to offer her more than “Patrick Jane”? Jane later admits to Lisbon that he has no “plan” other than to let what makes them happy be their guide — and Lisbon seems OK with that. But for good measure, he has a vintage car waiting outside the FBI building, to take them away.

1. R says:

It felt awkward to watch them be all lovey dovey, I enjoyed the case though

• Kim R says:

I am in the minority in that I have never felt romantic chemistry between Lisbon and Jane which is why I found the first few minutes so awkward and clunky. I do really enjoy the cast as a whole though and the solving of the case. Cho cracks me up.

• Ray R says:

Yeah they have zero chemistry so it’s really weird watching them fake it. During the finale, the rest of the cast seemed to think it was weird too. lol

• redjane12 says:

Yep – I wasn’t against Lisbon & Jane as a couple but their couply scenes are completely cringeworthy… Not sure if it is bad writing or awkward acting… It’s odd because The Mentalist normally had pretty decent writing for a procedural and I’ve always liked the actors… Go figure…

• Dani says:

I thought they were playing it that way because their relationship has changed and they don’t seem to know how to be around each other now. It’s awkward for the characters because they know how to be good friends/coworkers, but being a couple is different. I’d like to see what happens next and what they do with this season.

2. Charlie says:

I loved everything about this episode, mostly the Jane and Lisbon sweet moments! The case was pretty good too, great to see “classic Jane” back, only much happier now. How wonderful is to see those two happy after everything they’ve been through? It’s a joy to watch! Also, the scene with Pike was awkward and so well acted. By the way, Tunney’s looking better than ever this season, really gorgeous. Can’t wait for more, next episode looks great too!

3. smschira says:

Matt, you should fix the quote fom Pike. The article reads “So, do you have a plane?” instead of plan. Also, the use of the word fingers could be taken completely out of context. I laughed when I read it, which means others could definitely take it the wrong way as well.

4. LBrown says:

THE WRITERS DO IT AGAIN. THE ESSANCE OF THE CHARACTER WAS ALWAYS HIS SOFTER VULNABLE SIDE. ANYONE CAN SOLVE CASES BUT BAKER MAKES YOU WANT TO GET TO KNOW HIM. OH AND THE TOUCH OF ORIGAMI WAS EVERY WOMEN DREAM OF A PRECIOUS MOMENT FROM THEIR GUY. KUDOS BUT SHAME THATS IT IS GOING AWAY. I HAVE FOLLOWED BAKER FROM THE GUARDIAN. FANTASTIC.

5. Penn says:

Absolutely loved it! This is what I’ve been waiting for!

6. Rich Abey says:

Loved it. I’ve been looking forward a long time to see Jane & Lisbon get together and it was refreshing indeed to see them in a new dynamic, though it is not much different to before (given that they have always cared for each other deeply and remember Jane’s comment on Lisbon as the pocket rocket!) except for perhaps a few longing glances & way too many indulgent smiles from Lisbon at Jane’s antics!

7. chris says:

Didn’t enjoy it, hopefully the next episode is better. I miss the old gang, the chemistry is so off.

8. Kay says:

I loved it! I thought the stuff Jane did for Lisbon was cute and I love them together!

9. Tran says:

I give it an A. Starting to dislike Marcus Pike.

10. macchief says:

Pike acted like the guy who can’t believe he lost what he wanted, even though he should have known that the signs were there that Lisbon didn’t truly love him. I mean any guy should have picked up that Lisbon sounded upset when she said that she would marry him., or at least I would have, Pike just pumped his fist and said yes like he had just won the World Series.

Him asking Jane if he has a plan also made it seem like he’s upset that he lost and seems like saying ‘You should step aside and let me have her since I have a plan’ He acted like plans always go the way they are suppose to and never fall apart.

• Asta says:

It reminded me of that billionaire – who is on Forever now – asked what Castle’s long term plans were with Kate. It did shake her up a bit.

11. Asta says:

I’m glad it’s the last season so they can’t screw it up like they did with Castle finally getting together with Beckett.

• Diva2014 says:

I totally agree 1000%…I hate it when they pair someone up on an otherwise interesting show…It’s the reason I stopped watching Castle.

12. Heather says:

I thought it was great! I love seeing them interact as a new couple!

13. tahina says:

I liked the episode, what found interesting was that Jane looked awkward to me after his talk with Pike. Lisbon looks more into him, but that’s just me. Hope she doesn’t see it.

• Kay says:

I think that’s because old Pike wanted to put doubts in his head about having a plan mapped out for Lisbon….They don’t need a plan they just started dating!!!

14. Luis says:

I sensed the romantic tension between Jane and Lisbon a few seasons back, but I never believed Heller & Co. would go there with these two – their partnership has been one of the more unusual in recent TV history, harking back to “Remington Steele.” I’m glad they made this leap in the end and I hope these final 13 episodes act as a happy coda to the wonderful ride we’ve had over the past seven years.

15. I really loved the show and i’m glad that Lisbon and Jane are together.

16. I love how happy they are. It seems just right. I also loved the little house with the white picket fence. I think they had a good solution to Pike’s question. Excellent episode

17. Leeya says:

They jst gave me what i have been waiting for but still miss the old gang

18. Mary Cefalu says:

I’m not so sure Jane has it in him to see the relationship through to a ‘planned” end. I think the talk with Marcus threw Jane for a loop and had him see that relationships are more than just haphazardly following the bluebird of happiness. I think he might be all show and no substance.

19. Larry O says:

Just a twisted thought. Now that Jane and Lisben are all warm and fuzzy and Jane is happy…………..is Red John REALLY gone???

20. Chelley says:

I believe they are doing a good job with the romance. It is subtle and sweet, and that is something not seen on television much today.

21. Chelle says:

I think the romance is refreshing. It is subtle and sweet, which is something not seen much on television today.

22. Sheldon W. says:

Is it just me, or have Jane & Lisbon gone from Holmes & Watson to Nick & Nora? Fun evolution there…

23. jj says:

Pike was very rude. It is none of your business if Jane has a plan. And the little things that Jane does that makes Lisbon smile (the origmai and car rental) is way more thoughtful than your “home and family” offer.

24. Larry O says:

Pike is the real Red john.

25. Bert says:

Like most relationships, after the “new” wears off the Patrick Jane and Agent Lisbon story will be subordinate to the show’s basic premise (catching murderers via Patrick’s unique observational skills. My guess is that there may be a spinoff series (most popular members of same cast) with the venue and the agency changing (such as London working by special assignment with Scotland Yard). I’d love to see Patrick’s skill set tested against those engaging in espionage, since they have special training to avoid giving off obvious “tells.”

26. Sara Smile says:

I think the romance is sweet. Looks and gestures… well done. Just wondering if Jane is going to wear the same shirt all season.

27. ölsfgölsdkn says:

I honestly didn’t like Jisbon relationship. I thought it was a bad idea from the beginning. They were better off as good friends. Now it looks awkward. Lisbon would have been better with Pike and Jane with Erica Flynt. Jerica would be a power couple.