What TVLine Is Thankful For: A Good Surprise, Homeland's Revival, Sexed-Up Murder, Sweet Jane and More

TVLine Thankful For

It’s official: The TV gods have been good to us in 2014.

With the creative comeback of two favorites (Homeland and Revenge), an actual Comeback revival, mercy on The Walking Dead and the return of 24, TVLine has a lot to be thankful for this year. As if that weren’t enough, we’re also grateful for the small screen’s superhero trend — we fell for The Flash in, well… — Parenthood‘s swan song, Once Upon a Time‘s bonding moments and much more.

What follows is the fare that TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak and Kimberly Roots, Staff Editor Andy Swift, West Coast Editor Vlada Gelman and West Coast Reporter Rebecca Iannucci have singled out as deserving of special kudos. (Coming Thursday: What TVLine readers are thankful for this year.)

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us what you think of our Thanksgiving spread!

1. James says:

Bring Witches of East End back! Netflix, Yahoo, someone?

2. Tran says:

Three things I’m thankful for in 2014: the farewell season of Parenthood, Homeland reboot which is like Season One all over again and the return of 24 (if Fox plans for a tenth and possible “final season” and have a happy ending for Jack Bauer).

3. Grace says:

Two words: Diamond Dan

4. Laurie says:

I totally agree about Outlander. Loving the series. Glad Parenthood is getting its farewell season, and even though I won’t be at the Gilmore Girl “reunion” I look forward to you guys reporting on it.

5. c-mo says:

Rebecca, you and I might be TV twins. I agree with all of your “I’m thankful for…” comments. I am thankful for your brilliance!

6. Karen says:

I can certainly agree with you regarding the saving of ‘Community’, ‘The Mindy Project’ romance (though I’m not happy about Peter leaving soon!), Game of Thrones, ‘You’re the Worst’ being the best, and the shocking (but utterly heart-breaking) un-spoilery shocks – particularly from ‘The Good Wife’.
    Next to that I’m grateful for:
    – A stellar 4th season of ‘New Girl’ thus far, with Winston as one of my favorite characters on TV, and the awesome and perfect love-interest for Jess that is Ryan on ‘New Girl’. Never thought I’d prefer her with someone over Nick, but they proved me wrong. I really hope Ryan sticks around – even if he turns out to be a jerk, he’s too pretty and lovely to listen to, to let him go.
    – The development of the Kensi/Deeks love story – that dynamic is what’s keeping me watching this show, so please keep it coming.
    – The awesomeness and reimagining of ‘Fargo’
    – Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen’s captivating chemistry on ‘Masters of Sex’

7. Neki says:

I’m thankful for consistency of laughs that The Middle is bringing us for six seasons.

8. Cheryl says:

I agree with so many of these. The one thing you missed – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. It’s hilarious and informative.

• Angela says:

YES. His show is absolutely brilliant. I can’t wait to find out when it returns for a new season! I’m so glad that his stint hosting “The Daily Show” led to him getting his HBO gig.
      Echoing the “yay!” to Yahoo for snatching up “Community”, too. Even if this season is the series’ last, it’s still going to be nice to see these guys again (or most of them, at least), and let their stories wrap up nicely.

9. Tedi says:

I am thankful for 1) the return of Luther AND Sherlock next year! 2) Jonathan Jackson and Hayden Panettiere’s sensational chemistry and storyline on this season of Nashville 3) The Return of Ripper Street and 4) Absolutely everything about Jane the Virgin

10. Maybe I should have done something different…

Not my fault. Just disappointed. So odds are any scoop I request involving my (sadly) non existent favorite pair will go ignored. I should have said the following:

Thankful for Morgan and Reid’s friendship (although I can still see what I see…)

• Angela says:

Aw, Morgan and Reid’s friendship is so fun :D.
      What exactly did you want to know about them? Sometimes when people ask for scoop on certain characters it’s not so much that it’s ignored, but rather that there might just not be anything notable to report at that moment involving them, too. Plus, given the volume of questions sites like this get day in and day out it’s easy for some questions to get lost in the shuffle.

11. Luli says:

I’m thankful for:
    Caskett at last! Finally after 7 years they got married, and it was a beautiful wedding.

Merlex friendship, now that Cristina is gone it’s nice to see Meredith have the support of Alex in one of her hardest years…

Girl meets world, after 14 years I have Topanga and Cory back in my TV, and with special guests in the december episode (Shawn is back!!).

Bamon and the possible relationship of Steroline.

One of my new favorite shows of the season: The Flash, Grant does a great job, the incredible special effects (!!) and I love team flash and their dynamic (SnowBarry, cisco).

Frozen characters in Once, and all the great little conversations that the characters have had throughout the season.

12. steven says:

I’m thankful for Yahoo saving Community.

13. Lisa London says:

Homeland’s return to form has been great but Michael Slezak, the show is set in Pakistan this season so in Asia and NOT in the Middle-East.

14. Liz says:

Yay for including @midnight…King of the Nerds Chris Hardwick is awesome! Love that show, late night for the Millennial

• Anna says:

I agree, I love this show! It’s the funniest late night show out there, while also being very up to date with its topics and whilst having amazing guests! So. Much. Love!

15. N says:

I’m thankful for how ever many episode we get of Forever! Also, Nolan Ross!

16. GeoDiva says:

I am thankful for my DVR. The ability to record up to 4 shows at once for a household that has diverse TV tastes as mine, is great.

17. Lizo says:

I’m thankful for so many badass women of colour on tv! Viola Davis, Lucy Lui, Jada Pinkett Smith, Kerry Washington, Mindy Kahling, Alfre Woodward, Cristela Alonzo, etc and of course Shonda Frakn Rimes!!

18. Joey Padron says:

Thankful for final seasons of Parenthood and White Collar, Community being saved by Yahoo, The Flash, Gotham, great season of Agents of Shield. this year was great year for TV.

19. arial2 says:

A little out there, but I’m thankful for AXS TV’s repeated early-morning showings of Peter Bardehle’s Vidicom two (originally three?) German language (with English voiceovers) series Baltic Coasts and Alps from Above. Nothing like aerial travelogues to give you a sense of what those areas really look like, plus a little sense of the people who live there (not sure how representative that part is because most of them are too beautiful to be depictions of the “average” German citizens). Great artistic videos, for the most part, especially the areas in and adjacent to the North Sea. Too bad they have no plans to release the series in our regions dvd format; I’d buy them.

20. Liz says:

I’m VERY thankful for Outlander too…
    AND for the Gilmore Girls Reunion as well!

21. Priyam says:

Yay, my line about the Red Band Society got feaured! But on the same day I hear its essentially cancelled! Please TV gods, do something!

22. Hath says:

I’m thankful for TV’s most epic family, the Bravermans, and the farewell season of Parenthood. I’m thankful for TV’s most epic bromance, Peter/Neal, and the farewell season of White Collar. I’m thankful for the upcoming final seasons of Parks and Rec, and Justified. I’m thankful for the Caskett wedding on Castle, and for the Ryan/Esposito bromance. I’m thankful for Jason Katims and his third charmer in a row with About a Boy. I’m thankful for Eden Sher and The Middle. I’m thankful for T-Bone Burnett and the music of Nashville. I’m thankful Ioan Gruffudd is on my TV every week in Forever. I’m thankful that Tea Leoni is on my TV every week in Madam Secretary. I’m thankful for Ken Burns and The Roosevelts. I’m thankful that network TV can produce drama as compelling as The Good Wife. I’m thankful to have so many viewing choices that I can’t keep up.

23. A.B. says:

Magic City getting picked up for a movie.

24. Moment says:

I’m thankful for this being a good year, no complaints from me.

25. B says:

Rebecca returning on The Originals
    Laurel finally becoming The Canary on Arrow
    Grant Gustin as Barry Allen on The Flash
    Emily and Nolan’s friendship on Revenge
    and Once Upon A Time for realizing The Knave was the best thing about the Wonderland spinoff

26. B says:

What I’m not thankful for is Witches of Eastend missing the opportunity for a blooming onion reference between Andrew and Spike or talk of both once living on the Hellmouth

27. Tammy says:

I love @midnight. I started watching it when Kevin Smith and Justin Long were on there. I set a season pass up immediately!

28. Jase says:

Revenge did NOT have comeback this year. In fact, the show is the worst it’s ever been.