The Good Wife Recap: Deaf Justice

TBD- 610

Look, I know my job doesn’t involve digging ditches under a burning summer sun or tightrope-walking between Chicago skyscrapers like Nik Wallenda. But that doesn’t mean recapping The Good Wife‘s current sixth season hasn’t been a seriously harrowing experience.

I mean, I didn’t think I was embarking on the long, lost Season 7 of HBO’s Oz, and yet now it looks like sweet, pale Cary Agos is just a few days — or maybe minutes — away from fighting for his life in the mean prison yards of the Illinois penal system. I never even watched the pilot of Boardwalk Empire, and yet I’m biting my nails as Kalinda Sharma seemingly swaps her chic boots for cement shoes expertly made to carry her to the bottom of Lake Michigan. And with even carefully coiffed State’s Attorney candidate Alicia Florrick threatening knife violence against a humble public-school teacher, it seems there’s no escape from the CBS legal drama’s flirtation with “darkness at noon.”

The overarching theme of this week’s Winter Finale — titled, quite simply, “The Trial” — seems to be that the brand of justice offered by the U.S. legal system can be capricious at best, deplorable at worst. Rushed along by a judge seeking wedding-anniversary tickets to a Neil Diamond concert, plagued by a well-meaning juror with hearing issues and betrayed by a star witness whose instinct for self-preservation outweighs all other concerns, Cary winds up in the most horrifying of situations: pleading guilty to a crime he didn’t commit (and damning himself to at least two years in the clink), rather than standing up for himself and risking 15 — or running away to Barcelona and risking his soul.

Let’s recap the action — along with raising key questions about how the remainder of Season 6 will play out:

ALICIA THE GRIZZLY MOM | Our heroine has big problems on the campaign trail (even though they turn out to be the comic relief of a very intense hour). Seems she wrote a joke note threatening violence against Grace’s gym teacher if he didn’t let her sit out during an illness — the letter quotes Darkness at Noon, so how can anyone take it seriously? — and after Grace shows it to her civics teacher as an academic exercise, it gets used for political leverage.  One might think the plot thread’s main point is to allow Jackie this damning line — “Alicia is a good mother: She would never stab a teacher.” — but I wonder if body woman/Eli’s daughter Marissa has the most important philosophical point to make: “Sometimes, it’s funny to say the thing that will never happen.” Maybe Robert and Michelle King have Cary on the brink of a felony conviction just because, well, it makes for good TV? Maybe it’s the funniest thing to make us thing he’s going to live by the law, die by the shiv?  Whatever the case, after Alicia refuses to say yes to patronage, Peter intervenes and offers Grace’s teacher and principal some very appealing board seats – and the problem goes away, much as it often does for people of wealth and privilege. Good thing Grace is such an upstanding kid in spite of it all, no?

Alicia’s potentially bigger scandal, though, involves her regular meet-ups with Finn Polmar — and the flirty duo decides harshly lit pancakes in busted diners is a better way to advance their friendship than cocktails in dark, mahogany bars. Mrs. Florrick, however, is seeking something deeper – and no, I’m not talking about melting into Finn’s sumptuous eyes. She asks the former assistant U.S. attorney for help in clearing Cary — and he gives her an envelope of pics featuring four major drug dealers dropping by Bishop’s house. Is it possible our Chicago drug lord has gotten a little careless after reaching the top? Let us explore further in the next paragraph…

KALIDA IN PERIL | Kalinda confronts Bishop about the shady characters under his roof, but when his nonchalance starts to borders on arrogance — “You shouldn’t be here with such a weak weapon” — Kalinda engages in the pissing contest and promptly has the drug dealer neck-deep. “This is not about you. This is about Dylan,” coos the enigmatic investigator, who simply is not about to let a man intimidate her without any good reason. “There’s enough here for children’s services to take your son away.” The direction of the scene is pure visual poetry, with Bishop’s face in extreme, uncomfortable closeup, while Kalinda bobs and weaves in closeup. It looks like Kalinda has won the round — getting Bishop to locate the last remaining living crew member on the surveillance tape that’s the state’s biggest piece of evidence — but Bishop’s not about to play lamb to Kalinda’s lion, as we’ll see in our next point of discussion.

TBD- 610CARY, PLEAS | What a haunting opening image: Cary Agos, man wrongly accused and man who knows every side of the legal system all too well, walks silently through an empty courtroom, pondering his fate. Instead of this defendant’s-eye-view, however, the show’s writers treat us to the POV of a harried judge who’s miffed by the inability of his staff to get him a carrot muffin, an assistant district attorney (the always welcome Geneva Pine) who’s gotten mixed up romantically/extramaritally with her star witness, and a sympathetic juror who’s plagued by “auditory processing disorder” — a condition that causes him to miscompute words and phrases when he’s under stress. (He’s eventually kicked to the curb… a crushing blow to the defense.)

Bottom line: The judge would prefer a plea deal — in other words, one less case on his shoulders. But Geneva’s six-year sentence/three years served offer is Rated NB (no bueno) for Cary and his right-hand legal force Diane. Alas, though, while La Lockhart easily proves MIA government witness Trey Walker turned up dead a mere 48 hours after agreeing to meet with investigators, Geneva’s overlord (aka rat bastard Peter Castro) shows up and asks Geneva if she “knows what to do.”

Putting Kalinda on the stand, however, does little good for Geneva and Castro. But they hit the mother lode when Bishop slips into a pew at the moment his crew member Dante takes the stand. The shifty fellow refuses to refute the government’s selectively recorded audio tape, taking Kalinda by surprise and sending Cary into a desperate, last-gasp-of-free-air walkabout.

And that leaves Mr. Agos with one of three options. Bishop finds him on a sidewalk and offers to help him escape to an easy life in Barcelona (Plan A), where he’ll serve as a European consultant to the dealer. But Cary’s already seen the ice-slicked slope of the felon’s life, and (at least from what we can tell) declines. Geneva offers Plan B: Reduce his sentence to time-served (plus six months probation) if he testifies against Bishop— a far better bet than four years on conspiracy charges (with two in jail) or a potential 15 years in the clink via jury vote.

But Cary is a man who has not much fight left in him. “I go from one nightmare to another — and I just want it to be over,” he finally says. And despite Alicia, Kalinda and Diane in his corner, he can only come up with one solution: “The smart deal here is to take the plea.” Cary hugs Alicia, they both tear up, and he asks if she’ll come and see him, that he doesn’t want to be lonely. Maybe he’s going to Barcelona. Maybe he’s not talking about years in prison. And while I want to picture the most idyllic outcome — this can’t be the end  — The Good Wife has never been a show that provides easy answers, that tells us everything works out happily ever after for our central protagonists — even if they’re essentially social royalty.

Cary stands in court in the fall finale’s final shot, gulps down his emotions, and makes a decision about changing his stance. “Yes, Your Honor, I would like to plead guilty,” he says. And that’s where the story ends… at least ’til the show returns in 2015.

What did you think of “The Trial”? Will Cary really spend the next 24 months in jail? Has Kalinda marked herself for death? And can Alicia survive threats of high-school violence? Sound off below!

1. Steven says:

How am I expected to wait until January after that cliffhanger? It makes me want to gut a producer and let them bleed out like a pig. *I’m referencing Darkness at Noon of course*

• BetsyBoo says:

^well played.

• metekaan2013 says:

Darkness at Noon is actually The Good Wife’s version of Low Winter Sun.

• Walter Freeman says:

Not just Low Winter Sun, but Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead too. LWS never had a post-episode Talking special like the latter two shows did, and was referenced in The Good Wife earlier this season. Also worth nothing that tonight’s “threat to a teacher” storyline seems like it was borrowed and inverted from an incident involving a University of Wisconsin Stout professor who had a Firefly poster on his office door with the quote: “You don’t know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you’ll be awake. You’ll be facing me. And you’ll be armed.” In that case, students reported the “threat of violence” from the professor which resulted in a big to-do with the campus police, chancellor’s office, censorship, lawsuits, etc., back in late 2011.

• metekaan2013 says:

That’s cool!

• bj says:

That makes more sense than Alicia writing that letter nd grace being stupid enough to take it to school and show a teacher. That was so out of character, it was ridiculous.

• Shelia says:

I totally agree!!! That made no sense at all. I think the writers could have done a better sub story line!!

• John says:

Well said. Neither Alicia writing the letter or Grace stupidly showing it to a teacher made any sense at all.

• EO says:

YES! A strange form of comic relief that was awkward at best IMHO. Too far out of character to stand and a time waster… They don’t need more political fodder and unless Alicia truly is turning into a drunk, in which case I am OUTA Here… It’s NOT FUNNY.

• Veronica says:

My thoughts exactly. I actually know someone whose child was expelled for saying, “I’m going to kill you” to a tormenter. But Alicia would certainly have heard these stories, as would Grace, who is too old to be this stupid. Maybe if she was a middle schooler. There is little chance Alicia would have written the letter and zero chance Grace would have shown it around.

• Shelia says:

lol@Steven too funny

• peter says:

Cary pleads guilty. Then peter, as governor, will pardon him.

• EO says:

This has real potential! I wonder if the pardon would override the conviction’s consequences of losing his Law license. But if Peter did that he’d likely also make sure Carey had a job that forwarded whatever “needs” Peter has… And he has lots of stuff waiting in the shadows: think Ballot Boxes. So, out of the fire, into the…. Again!

• delfiteblu says:

And then Cary will be a former felon who can’t practice law. THAT will be worth it, right?

2. Somes rt says:

The episode is over yet I still can’t compose myself. Shaken.

• metekaan2013 says:

I know, right?

• Bryce says:

I felt physically ill when Cary said guilty. Czuchry’s acting was the best it’s ever been this episode. I truly felt for Cary. And Diane and Alicia too. They always seem to win, and I think that’s what made this loss so much harder. After Kalinda threatened Bishop in any normal case that would have been the change of fate that meant victory. It was clear that Cary wouldn’t catch a break, and that weighed on him through out the episode. Man, that episode has my stomach in a knot. I can’t wait for the show to return in January.

• Asta says:

That guy deserves an Emmy. It felt all too real and I still feel shaken.

3. wonderwall says:

I never cared for Cary until last season. And I hate that they made me care for him because right now I am just gutted. I never usually cry when I watch television shows, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I teared up towards the end and it’s all thanks to Matt Czuchry’s fantastic performance. He just hit it out of the park this week.

I can’t wait to see next season. I hope Cary gets the happy ending he deserves. Poor man had it rough this year.

4. Mick says:

I am hoping that Cary turns on Bishop because what he did for the sake of asserting his power is crazy.

• Marc says:

This is the biggest flaw in the plotline: Cary is not allowed to testify against Bishop. It would not only be unethical but both illegal and inadmissible. I do not recall any instance in the course of the show where anything Carey learned about Bishop’s criminal activities would fall under an exception. Other than that, great arc.

• xx says:

If Cary is a conspirator and not just a lawyer (i.e., he pleads guilty to this case) then it’s the same logic Will was threatened with (as Peter’s attorney) by Dubeck, no?

• B says:

Oh, I think that’s right! Or at least a believable work-around. I hope that’s the route they go–they need to take Bishop down.

• Marc says:

It bothered me about the threat to Will last season as well. It’s a real stretch charge an attorney as a conspirator. At best, they usually get the defense attorney disqualified as a possible witness, as the US Attorneys successfully did with Bruce Cutler in a John Gotti federal trial. And, as far as we know, neither Will nor Cary committed any crimes. Cary’s advice was to hypothetical crimes and hypothetical law enforcement, all within the bounds of attorney-client privilege and not criminal actions.

Clients need to be able to ask advice on what is legal and illegal and what could get them arrested. No doubt, it happens all the time on the corporate end. In fact, have we not seen plotlines (on other shows if not on TGW) where a corporation–a drug company or a consumer product manufacturer, was able to get evidence excluded from a lawsuit–damning evidence showing their knowledge that their product was unsafe–because attorneys were present and involved in the conversation. I think its a favorite DEK plot device.

Also, the only matters to which a co-conspiring attorney could testify would involve the crime underlying the conspiracy. It would not remove attorney-client privilege for any other matters. For the Will situation, either he was involved in the vote rigging, at which point he is a co-conspirator and the conversations are not privileged, or he was just giving advice after the fact, which makes the conversations privileged. As for Cary, if all they have is the tape, Cary could only testify about the facts related to the crimes on the tape and nothing more. But, if it was purely hypothetical, as we have been lead to believe, Cary would be forbidden under the law to even discuss that conversation. Furthermore, Bishop should know all of this and would never have threatened Cary. The only other reason to break privilege would be if a client sues and confidences must be revealed to defend the suit. There, the client effectively waives privilege to the extent necessary for the suit.

But this is all entertainment, so I must suspend my understanding of reality and enjoy the show.

• xx says:

What the SA’s office can ethically do and what they can actually do are different, though, and Castro has shown no signs of favoring ethics over his agenda. If they get Cary to (falsely) admit to helping them evade arrest (plead guilty when we know he didn’t do it), they can get him to testify against Bishop as a co-conspirator. Since the drug charges would be a 15-year sentence for Cary, who we know has no priors, it could be even longer for Bishop if he does. I think Castro is totally willing to bend law and facts for a chance at putting Chicago’s Biggest Dealer in jail for over a decade.

5. abz says:

I have felt shocked, surprised, anxious, sad and several other emotions while watching TV shows, but I can rarely ever recall being actually scared. I couldn’t believe my own reaction of fear when Bishop just snapped on Kalinda after she threatened to take Dylan away from. Seriously, I almost jumped out of my seat, he was so angry. The actor is so good. Sadly, I’m becoming more and more convinced that he will have a hand in Kalinda’s fate at the end of the season.
    I can’t believe how drastically the feel of the show can change over the course of just one episode. I started the episode laughing non-stop at the Alicia/teacher letter threat story as well as Marissa’s hilarious commentary on the whole situation (seriously, can she please stay on the show forever??) and then all of a sudden everything changed to being scary and horribly sad. My heart broke for Cary. Honestly, it’s like it was something that actually is happening in real life. I’ve read about how many are not a fan of this season and I too have thought at some point that the Cary storyline has dragged, but damn the writing is perfect and the acting just tops everything off. The entire cast is amazing and kudos to Matt Czuchry for truly embracing this dark and depressing storyline and acting it out with such raw emotion. Can’t believe we have to wait till January.

6. analog says:

There is no way Cary is spending that many years in jail. He’ll be out before the season ends.

7. John Farthing says:

It was a great episode and I so enjoyed your synopsis. Anyway, I like the supporting cast much more than Alicia. So whatever happens “The Good Wife” really needs Kerry and Kalinda on the show to sustain its excellence. The way this season is heading it looks as if both characters are about to be eliminated. So, the writers of the show have a big job ahead of them. I can’t wait to see what happens.

8. Jenna says:

While there are bright moments here and there and the acting delivers, the show feels like it is off the rails. I get that they wanted to change the format and try serializing the program but it doesn’t mean it’s a better production or that that they’re great at that type of incremental storytelling. Cary’s trial and Alicia’s campaign have such poor, stilted flow and so many incredulous loopholes/missing elements.The case of the week as the feature with the ongoing personal and firm dramas as side stories made for a better program.

• Davey says:

I don’t agree with anything you’ve said.

• delfiteblu says:

I completely agree with every word. The show HAS gone off the rails. The idea of Alicia running around from place to place and never really accomplishing anything; the idea of Kalinda being stupid enough to threaten Bishop; the idea that after they worked so hard to become their own firm, they’re back in the same old offices with Diane as a partner. I don’t know how much more off the rails it could go.

• abz says:

Nope. I don’t agree with any of this.

• Somes rt says:

Please go away .

• Sam says:

I agree with what you said 100%.

• lil says:

I agree tota;;y!

• Marc says:

As opposed to their usual complex cases with pre-trial and trial phases that could never realistically play out over less than a year being resolved in an episode or two?

• wonderwall says:

I feel like the original poster is still bitter about Will which is why they’re only bringing it up now. Because TGW is known for complex cases with pre-trial phases. Showing the voi dire process was important to the episode, so IDK what the original poster is talking about.

• wonderwall says:

sorry, I didn’t complete my thoughts before pressing enter. I never was a fan of the ‘case of the week’. It got too formulaic and I’m glad that this one took 10 episodes to pan out. I feel like the emotional stakes are higher than it ever would be if this episode was yet another ‘case of the week’.

• Jenna says:

As the poll above and the comments down thread suggest, I don’t think I am alone in my thinking that the show has some issues. As far Will goes, I actually don’t really miss him but do miss the leadership aspect of what his character brought to the show and the firm. One can only imagine how he would have been fighting tooth and nail for Cary. Instead we get to see Alicia unbelievably misstep left and right on her silly, old news campaign story and appear so apathetic to Cary’s woes when she’s a huge part of the reason it happened. Also, are we to believe there is nothing happening at the firm besides Cary’s case and Finn getting an office space? No angst or concern about how a conviction would impact it along with Alicia possibly leaving, too, especially given that they so many LG employees left their more secure positions to join a start up?

• metekaan2013 says:

Don’t even…Just, don’t.

• Coal. says:

I agree fully.

• mlewis64@ec.rr.com says:

Ditto, Totally disagree.

• Shelia says:

Huh???? Jenna lol

• suzyku says:

I completely agree with everything you said!

9. Jill says:

I realized today that I have absolutely no interest in the storylines The Good Wife is presenting this season. I’ve never been into Alicia running for States Attorney, and this note thing seemed ridiculous to the point of absurd. Also, I’ve become quickly annoyed with the railroading of Cary and more than a couple of episodes of Bishop a season is too much. Sorry Good Wife, I never thought I’d say this, but I think I’m kind of done with you for right now.

• lil says:

You said it!!!!!

• E says:

My thoughts exactly after tonight’s episode!

• cmsfl says:

Well said. I don’t care anymore what happens with this show.

• lynn says:

I agree with this comment. the school note line is just stupid and totally out of character for Alicia. Diane has lost any ability to lawyer. she was a strong character and now she can’t seem to make a difference in the courtroom. putting kalinda on the stand made no point. what happened to 30 feet separation? alicia running for states attorney is just stupid. I am loosing interest.

• abz says:

Diane is following the law and the law is what is screwing Cary over. Doesn’t mean she isn’t doing her best, Also, Diane didn’t put Kalinda on the stand, Geneva Pine did.
        I don’t think it’s out of character at all. Alicia is very sarcastic and jokes around sometimes. We saw her just last week when she was doing the video for her campaign and how she can just good off sometimes.

• lynn says:

it is totally out of character for her to write something as vile as that note. she has never “goofed” off in a malicious way. I didn’t say Diane put kalinda on the stand. that piece makes no sense in the story. dianes character is weak in this storyline.

• abz says:

This Darkness at Noon thing wasn’t made up out of thin air. We have seen Alicia watch that show MANY times. That letter was a joke written in the comfort of her own home with her daughter trying to make fun of a show. You act as if you actually think she wrote that letter intended for her daughter’s teacher. Her daughter is the idiot for showing it to her teacher. But then again this isn’t the first time Grace has done something like that.
            Geneva and everyone at the SA office are aware of Kalinda’s connection to Cary which is why they were ordered to be separated from each other. It isn’t a stretch or anything out of the ordinary for Geneva/SA office to try to use Kalinda to help their case. Diane’s character isn’t weak, you’re just not liking what you’re seeing. This whole Cary thing is essentially showing just how twisted the legal system can be where someone like Cary who is innocent of what he’s being accused of is backed into a corner with little to no way out.

• Someone says:

Die choking on your own blood, please.

• Betty says:

I think some of the lack of storyline for Diane has to do with Christine Baranski’s husband dying. It’s almost like Diane’s and her workloads were scaled back. Where are the rest of the firm’s new partners from LG?

• Sandra says:

Good to see I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’m an avid Good Wife fan but somewhat disappointed with this season’s storyline.

10. Lil says:

I can honestly say that I’m done with this show! I’ve been with it from the beginning but no more! I’m sick of the way all the males get screwed on this show! The show has been bad enough without Will and now to ruin Cary, well it was just stupid writing! I mean we already knew Kalinda was leaving the show. Who does CBS think we are going to watch? Bishop? yeah right, his character has already had too much air time.

11. Tran says:

Matt Czuchry deserves an Emmy worthy performance. Whether or not he gets Emmy nominated, you must enjoy his work during the heydays of Gilmore Girls.

12. GM says:

Damn you, Robert & Michelle King, DAMN YOU. I trust you both, I really do, but this has me reeling, probably even more than Will’s death. I really hope that ASA Pine’s relationship with the detective will be cause for a mistrial, because I can’t, under any circumstances, handle Cary being in prison (or dead, either, definitely NOT DEAD). Matt Czuchry has always flown under the radar as an actor (especially on this series where fantastic actors seems to be falling out of the trees) but he has practically owned this season, along with Margulies of course. His tears when Dante perjured himself had my stomach in knots. Then, when Alicia began to cry as he told her he was accepting the plea deal, then his asking her to visit him in prison because “I don’t want to be lonely”? I was utterly destroyed. He absolutely deserves an Emmy win for his work this year (and like I’ve said before, holy s*** is he hot). Oh, and Mike Colter as Lemond Bishop? Terrifying, absolutely terrifying. He deserves a nom as Guest Actor in a Drama Series (that’s a category, right?). I can’t believe I have to wait until January to see the next episode, and because of The Mentalist, what a crap show (my apologies to Simon Baker and Robin Tunney). Only half a season left to see how these events will lead to Kalinda’s departure, I can’t wait.

13. Lucy says:

“And while I want to picture the most idyllic outcome — this can’t be the end — The Good Wife has never been a show that provides easy answers, that tells us everything works out happily ever after for our central protagonists — even if they’re essentially social royalty.”
    But we’re talking about a central protagonist who always got rubbish from the show in terms of “his fate”. He was fired two times by L&G. Removed and fired when he was at SA. The woman he’s love with will never reciprocate him. His father (and family for what we know) doesn’t give a damn about him. The only success he got was his little start-up firm and now it’s just an Alicia and Diane thing. An now he’s a felon, an innocent one, and he’ll be disbarred. I think it’s TOO MUCH, just for one character. So they better do something good to reverse that storyline and give Cary his life and his mojo back or I’ll be royally pissed off.
    And yeah, Matt Czuchry is killing the hell out of that storyline and I hope everyone will wake up and start to notice it. Because if in Cary’s case was deaf justice as for Matt Czuchry’s performance would be blind criticsm.

14. Viv says:

I think that´s the first time I felt physically sick after watching an episode. And that´s a compliment. Somehow. I think. I yelled at my screen “What, no! That can´t do that, are you kidding me?” – The sad thing (or the great thing… I don´t know) is, that I´m actually not sure if there are sending Cary to prison. After Will´s death you just don´t know what to expect anymore and that´s the beauty of this show. Personally I hope that Cary isn´t send to prison. And sadly that is, because I don´t have the slightest interest in this whole Alicia and States Attorney storyline and I´m not happy about the Diane angle on the show.

15. KevyB says:

Shark after shark after shark….

16. Pam says:

Sorry to say so, but if “that” is the end of Cary Agos character they really can go to hell and for good. It’s not like they’ve killed him. It’s worse. They’ve stolen from the character everything. His soul. His life. His career. What else? And it took them 10 episodes of pure torture for doing this. So, no. Thank you, but no. Bye.

17. Missed the funeral of Will. He did deserve a good funeral……………

18. keyamc says:

I voted fail. This season has been miserable. The show has slipped back down into the insanely boring dribble that almost forced it cancellation. I’m officially dropping this show because it’s starting to feel like a soap opera and I hate soap operas. If I want drama, I can tune in to my real life.

19. Coal. says:

Did anything really significant happen between episode 2 to 9 ? I don’t think so. Last season’s serialized plots were enthralling and the episode “Hitting the fan” served as a bridge between story lines, scheming to leave Lockhart/Gardner and the aftermath after leaving. These last ten episodes feel like revolving around the same door. Those who really enjoying this storyline are those that are fawning over Matt Czury. Not to mention Alicia’s campaign seems to be moving from one frivolous matter to the next each episode.

• EO says:

Good Point. They may have contract obligations they’re fulfilling for Ago’s character. I agree about the “revolving door” but that is the law. As one lawyer once put it to a class I was in (for real estate law) “This is the Law people. Don’t go thinking any of this is supposed to make sense.”

20. Sharon Campbell says:

The story line on the trial was tense and believeable. However, the note Alicia was to have satrically written about one of her daughter’s teachers was too coarse to believe it was penned by the “lady” seeking the office of State’s Attorny. It sounds like some twenty year old “jock” wrote it after consuming Four six packs at a frat party. Couldn’t the writers of such a slick realistic series do better than that? They missed the mark on that leaving me to forgo the awesome rating for above average.

21. B says:

I am willing to believe Alicia wrote that note as a joke. But, that Grace kept it for FOUR months in her school backpack, apparently just waiting for her Civics teacher to talk about free speech? Come on.

Question: Is Kalinda also bound by attorney/client privilege even though she’s not a lawyer? Can she not testify against Bishop?

• Sam says:

Maybe she will testify in exchange for Cary’s freedom. Then she will have to leave and go into witness protection. Makes sense.

22. Someone (the actual Someone) says:

Not a fan of the Alicia storyline this episode – for someone who had been so careful the past few weeks about what she was presenting to the public for the sake of the campaign, this note thing felt extremely out of character.

Other than that, my heart broke for Cary.

Also like to point out that even though my name was used to tell a commenter to die choking on their own blood, that wasn’t me. I realize that I’m very easy to impersonate because there’s no log-In for me to post a comment (and no email verification), but still. Give me a break, identity thief.

23. David P. Graf says:

I still stand by my earlier prediction that the season will end with Kalinda taking out Bishop and then heading out to parts unknown. Bishop does not deal well with threats (i.e., regarding custody of his son) except to kill them. If the producers want a real bummer of an ending, then it will be Kalinda and Cary who get gunned down by Bishop’s henchmen. If the producers want a really upbeat ending (it’s all relative), then Kalinda kills Bishop and she and Cary go on the run together. It could set up a spin-off series when the two assume new identities and run their own practice with him either returning to the law or joining Kalinda as an investigator.

• EO says:

I don’t think they’ll want to let go of Kalinda… She fills too many “boxes” for the series: In no particular oreder: 1.Powerful female 2. Highly Effective & useful employee/agent. 3.Bi Sexuality -very forward thinking here. 4. She’s one of the few characters that reliably gets things accomplished to further multiple storylines! Finally: How many powerful people here OWE her? So, unless she’s leaving for her own series or a better role elsewhere Kalinda is gold. And if she goes, it will be fascinating to see how they fill her shoes/roles because if they cannot, it will leave a huge hole in the storylines. Robin taking her place? Laughing like crazy here!!!!

24. Eran says:

I don’t hate the trial storytline. I just honestly can’t bear it any more. Because it’s played out so darkly and realistically, I just find it too harrowing to watch, especially knowing it could happen and that it most likely has happened to innocent people more times than we’ll ever realise.
    It’s exceptional television but I honestly can’t bear it any more.

• Sally says:

I love your comment Eran!! And I agree 100%!!! I may be in the minority here but I love this season of the good wife. It is so different from the other seasons that it almost feels like a new show!! Love Carrie and Kalinda and wish that Kalinda wasn’t leaving the show..

25. tahina says:

Its a shame, but are they getting Kalinda killed by Bishop, or is it jut me. Last night I felt chills trough my spine when he approached her in courtroom, he was threatening Kalinda. Not a way I would like for Archie exit the show, but there’s where they are heading. Shame.

• kt5 says:

I think that Kalinda will kill Bishop, both for her own protection and to help Cary and then she will have to disappear. This will be a bittersweet ending and a good way for her to exit the show.

• kt5 says:

another storyline thought…..Kalinda will get evidence that will allow Bishop to be prosecuted and will agree to testify in exchange for Cary’s release and then will disappear into witness protection. Again, this would be a dignified and brave way for her to exit the show.

26. LucyD says:

My heart is broken. Cary does not deserve this and Matt Czuchry was amazing as a man on the brink of two awful choices (three w/Barcelona).

27. Rachel greenberg says:

If the shenanigans pulled by the DAs office to convict Agos of a crime he didn’t commit are what happens in real life, then our justice system is no better than that of a third world country. I sincerely hope that these things would not happen in real life…a DA that corrupt belongs in SingSing.

28. John Moshier says:

with cary in jail Alicia running for office that only leaves one parter left in the firm doews cary get disbarred because of his drug case pleading guilty

• Paloma says:

No. There are plenty of other partners, at least 15, we just never see them. The lawyers who left LG with Cary and Alicia, and the partners of LG who came with Diane. Alicia, Cary and Diane are only the named partners.

29. Portland Fan says:

While I love TGW and have no real beef with this season as a whole, there are some nagging plot points that have me frustrated:

1. It seems a bit too contrived to have, in the span of one episode, the entire Agos/Florrick law firm relocated to the old Lockhart/Gardner digs. Additionally, there is really no explanation for why the old Florrick/Agos location has now become Alicia’s campaign headquarters. Not to mention that the rest of the Lockhart/Gardner cast is simply MIA.

2. What happened to Taye Diggs and Robin? No explanation and barely any reference to them. Add to that list David Lee and Louis Canning and it seems as if the writers have forgotten 1/3 of the cast!

3. It’s too convenient to have Finn relocate to the Lockhart/Gardner offices. Now it’s almost impossible for Alicia and Finn not to interact and intensify their sexual tension. And, while I’m on the subject, what’s with all of the clandestine meetings between Finn and Alicia? It’s already been noted that the picture of Finn leaving Alicia’s one morning has potential consequences for her campaign. So, isn’t it likely that someone has been shooting pictures of the couple in their various public settings? One picture can be explained away but multiple sightings of the couple together is harder to explain. Alicia and Eli (and Finn) are far too smart to not realize this.

4. Finally, the whole State’s Attorney campaign storyline feels underdeveloped. Barely any mention of her campaign by her Florrick/Agos colleagues; barely any preparation on Alicia’s part to become a candidate (thus, her series of missteps episode after episode). Speaking of those missteps, in the real world these mistakes would have already cost her the candidacy! Add to this her impending relationship with Finn, her sketchy ties to LeMond Bishop and her (almost publicly acknowledged) affair with Will and I can’t see any scenario where she wins (or is this the plan all along?).

My two cents …

• Joe says:

The Florrick campaign needed an office. Florrick, Agos & Lockhart is probably on a lease at the old place. When they moved to the new place, Alicia probably said, “My campaign can sublease the space, instead of us trying to break our lease.”

• TGW fan says:

Portland Fan: The reason that the Agos/Florrick law firm relocated to the old Lockhart/Gardner digs is because of the back-story, when Will died he was the actual lease holder. That was transferred to Dianne – so now Dianne joins Alicia’s firm and they are running out of space now that they have all these new people. David Lee and Louis Canning approach Dianne and tell her to sign over her lease and give up her link to the space. She says no way – gives them notice to vacate the property or else, goes back, tells Alicia she’s got a great deal on some space. Alicia says fantastic and they move in.

Now, as far as the whole story line about the Note, I sometimes think this show tries too hard. It feels like everyone tried very hard to come up with a scandal that could plague Alicia. That’s why it weirds me out when it’s a big deal that Alicia gets called to Grace’s school by Jackie of all people? hmmm… Apparently, Alicia is stupid enough to write a letter saying she would stab a teacher…? I think she is smarter than that and Grace knows better that to show it to a teacher because it could easily fall into the wrong hands.

Finn and Alicia, Can they please please please just make out already? I feel like this relationship currently in a Crock-Pot, and I’d love for it to make its way to a skillet and turn up the heat sometime soon.!!

30. Bishop is insufferably arrogant behind that veneer of social elegance. I find it disgusting the way his very presence makes all kowtow and pussyfoot before him. One wonders where he picked the gentleman act; certainly not on the streets.

31. suzyku says:

I absolutely do NOT like this line of developments! They simply didn’t know when to quit while they were ahead and it’s past time for them to get Cary out of this mess and go back to interesting weekly cases! Also tired of the political crap involving Alicia’s run for office. I haven’t been enjoying these episodes at all!!!!

• EO says:

I think Cary’s role since the first season has been as conflict builder and “foil” for Alicia… Simply put, he’s a character to define other characters. Think about it…. He has morphed this way and that always reacting to Alicia, even when they were not in the same workplace. Going forward there’s a lot more Alicia has to accomplish and Carey is redundant now. Also, this storyline is at least realistic… Not to mention the first time Carey has been a sympathetic character rather than a user or a sneak. Some people actually feel for him. So going forward whatever happens has to be GREAT. Think of this: Bishop could buy Carey rather than just threaten him. Our boy is not the most straightforward and moral of men… And He Has Nothing To Lose now… Anything has to look better than jail and loss of his Law career. And, Never forget the power of Peter’s position…. Its delicious how many things MIGHT happen!

• Lucy says:

Well, I agree and disagree. Cary stopped to be a foil for Alicia long time ago. His character wasn’t rendundant but mostly underused and wasted. They’ve often used him like a tool to forward other characters’s storyline, yeah. But considering he was just a supporting character he had his own evolution anyway. He’s a complex and layered character and I suppose nobody would give a damn about him or crying over his situation if he was just what you think he is. Last season they had a great chance to finally give him his storyline but Charles’s exit changed their plans. So I suppose now they’re making up for it. I don’t say that I don’t like he’s getting his own storyarc that season, but I disagree about the possible outcomes of it. I mean that I’d completely despite and hate your possibile outcome.
        “Our boy” is the one who didn’t want to involve Peter in that mess because he doesn’t want him to be crucifyed by Castro, that’s while everyone was crucifying him. “Our boy” is the one who demoted himself when he was a DA because his relationship with her collegue, Dana Lodge (that while her collegue Geneva Pine, who’s married, is now having an affair with a dective who’s also part of Cary’s case, a thing could also cause a mistrial). “Our boy” is the one who even now, in that awful situation, is more worry about the money his firm had to give for his bail than about the fact he’ll spend the next 2 years in jail. I don’t know if Cary’s one of the most straightfoward and moral men, but he’s for sure one of the most most straightfoward and moral character “in that show”. They’ve stolen from the character everything. His career, his life, his freedom. If the plan is that they always want to steal his soul, well, they can go to hell. I think it would completely out of character and utterly disappointing for the fans. After 10 episodes of torture joining the dark side would be the final nail in the coffin, especially after everything Bishop done to screw up his life for good. I think it’s more likely he’ll go against him since now he has nothing to lose. Revegenful and combactive Cary, that’s what they need to do to make up for all the depressing stuff they put us through.

32. Jan says:

No deep comments or analysis … just wanted to say I was scared to death when Kalinda faced down Bishop. YOW!

33. PIMB says:

So what about the fact that the prosecutor called the firm Funnel Adore and Lookout? I hate this season.

34. Maria says:

What awful and ridiculous story lines. Cary in jail is terrifying and stabbing a teacher barely a few months after a teacher in uk was stabbed by a 15 year old it’s so in poor taste and totally out of character . Yet another series off the list couldn’t be bothered watching anymore.

35. schu says:

I really don’t want the season to end with Alicia as SA, Cary in prison and Kalinda in the bottom of Lake Michigan. But kudos to the Kings on repeaking my interest in this storyline, it was tensed up all episode.

And had a flashback to ER with the divey diner scene, I was hoping Alicia would even say, “oh and it’s right across from a hospital!”

36. Jake says:

If Cary Agos goes to jail, I will no longer watch GOOD WIFE…I think the idea that a lawyer keeping his mouth shut, (“Client-Lawyer” privilage) in spite of the threats from the D.I. office is absurd. The D.I. knows Cary would be disbarred and also killed if he witnesses against Bishop. Why not eliminate Bishop and not Cary? This show without Cary would suck….Alicia Florick is a gloomy, anorexic character…and she would end up to be just another politician like her husband and not command a winner case when her very own partner’s career and life is at stake. The character who should defend Cary is Testoni…she is very animated and enjoyable to watch her win.

37. Marci says:

If they put Cary back in prison, I’m done with the show.

38. Tom Mahar says:

Hard to understand why the defense didn’t examine the tape. Surely the starts and stops would have created adequate reasonable doubt. Also, such a crummy judge must have committed trial errors such as rushing trial selection and seating a juror when an objection had been made. Looks like the defense was a part of the railroad.

39. Deb says:

Here’s what needs to happen: Alicia needs to find some serious dirt on Castro and use it to get him to drop the charges against Cary.

40. Deb says:

Here’s what needs to happen: Alicia (or Kalinda) need to find some serious dirt on Castro to get him to drop the charges against Cary.

41. Robin Thomas says:

Well it was emotional. I think Kalinda is in trouble and Cary is taking the plea deal that leads to a really bad place but he wont be under Bishops thump and he owes him nothing. You know, Peter can pardon him and say he thinks that Cary’s trial was a travesty and politically backed– that would be a stand up thing to do.

• delfiteblu says:

Bishop already got to Cary when he was in jail – remember the guy who was supposed to cut off his finger but “only” cut him? It’s not like jail is a safe-house for Cary.

42. Sharita says:

Are they getting rid of all the men? If so, I’ll find something else to watch on Sunday nights. CBS, I commend you on the “I am woman theme,” but women do like to watch men.

43. EO says:

AAARGH! They’ve done the impossible and made me feel sympathetic and outraged for Cary, “Mr. What’s In It For Me?” A character I have been annoyed with consistently and seriously disliked at best since episode one. I thought he should have gone to trial. Showing the “human” judge, a judge on the show I have always liked, act so unprofessionally adds that extra “manure” to an already “sh..ty scenario. Somehow, I feel that is all going to turnabout in the first few episodes of the next season. Meanwhile, what happened to the kid in jail, caught in the crossfire of bad policing and Will’s murder? That’s the storyline I want to see resolved fairly even more than the States Attorney race. I don’t believe Alicia will run, or finish running, no matter what it looks like now.

44. Reader says:

What really bothers me about the Cary storyline is that it feels like the Kings pulled it from nothing. When was Cary so close to Bishop and Bishop’s men? When was it even suggested that he was (professionaly) hanging out with them so he could give ‘advice’ on bending the law. As much as I love The Good Wife, this plot feels very Shondaland; WAY better played and acted, but equally random.

45. summerswing says:

I don’t know. I have been so disappointed in the show since Will died. I really just loved his character and also how smart he was. I really just hate what they are doing to Cary this year and that there is no more interplay with the other law firm. I find myself hoping that they bring Will back and faked his death so that he could team up with the FBI and nail Bishop to protect Alicia and his former colleagues. The show seems flat. And, they do not have enough of Finn to make a difference. Can they make Alicia look any more stupid this year? She’s a bone head and this campaign makes her look like an idiot deluxe. I love this show, but seriously?

46. delfiteblu says:

I’m so tired of this storyline and somebody in the writer’s room was asleep at the wheel. Kalinda would NEVER EVER EVER threaten Bishop like she did. The very idea that she would suddenly be so naive as to think she could do that without reprisal is against everything in her character. Also – Eli is getting on my last nerve. He serves no purpose except to push his own agenda; he wants to get Alicia elected but then what? Is he going to have her kids run for office? He acts like a crazy person and I’m truly sick of him. This has NOT been my favorite season of TGW – I’d love to go back to where the lawyers are defending people we don’t already know and living every day with their lives in danger1

• G. says:

Gotta disagree with you … Kalinda would TOTALLY threaten Bishop … for someone she cared about. I’m not sure she cares enough about Cary Agos to do that.

BUT what was *absolutely* wrong was that she would NEVER go in there with just an empty threat, and not be ready to pull the trigger on that threat, or have an even BIGGER piece of ammunition ready, should Bishop not stop interfering in Cary’s case. THAT I don’t buy at all. She looked like a complete fool.

Come to think of it, Cary has looked like one for quite a while … I’m starting to think they’re going to get rid of all the character we loved, until only JM is left. *sigh* This is why you should never let the cast control storylines.

47. Roger says:

I think Will is coming back from dead and he will get Cart off (not in a sexual way) and they will both drill Grace.

48. sam says:

I feel this was disappointing season, kings should try to resolve old issues. Show has had great acting moments this season no doubt, scenes like Alicia sitting in will’s chair and Dianne looking on was best scene of the season along with Alicia and Cary hugging in the latest episode. I would really like to see David Lee coming back ,I want to see Gov Peter to be accused of conspiracy to get rid of Will — in last season Alicia asked him to make it go away so her son doesn’t have to testify in federal Trial….who knows what peter actually did, he had loads of friends in police etc, as SA .Also Fin is not a kind of character at the moment that can generate empathy like Will or even Peter could. I would ask Kings to resolve eli’s duplicity in removing Will’s voice mail and we should see Alicia’s reaction to it .I feel Eli will use that voice mail to get rid of Alicia and Fin’s relationship as he is selfish guy, he is one amazing character .

49. YM says:

I smell time jump. I can see them jumping forward two years and reintroducing the characters. It would be able to show us Alicia in politics and how the firm is doing without having to live through the actual transition. Kind of how Parks and Rec bipassed Leslie’s pregnancy and job transition.

This kind of reboot could be established in the second half of this season and then take us into what might be the seventh and final season. It could be the perfect end to Alicia’s transformation.