2014 AMAs' Best & Worst Moments: 'Booty' Kicks, Pitbull Flops and More

American Music Awards 2014

There was a lot to love about the 2014 American Music Awards — it was definitely Hot Dads Night, for one thing — but a few less-desirable events also went down on Sunday. You know, ones that may or may not rhyme with Shmitbull.

(Seriously, though, can this be Mr. Worldwide’s final year as AMA host? I’ll start a Change.org petition if that’s what it takes.)

RELATED Selena Gomez Cries During 2014 AMAs Performance: Did You Tear Up Too?

Our gallery of best and worst moments includes some of the night’s biggest productions — find out which “Bang Bang” performer we think was totally phoning it in — as well as some of the night’s floppiest flops, like T.I.’s joke(?) about female rappers.

RELATED American Music Awards Red Carpet: TV Stars from PLL, Walking Dead and More

What were your favorite — and least favorite — moments from the 2014 AMAs? Browse our Top 10 gallery below, then drop a comment with your personal picks. Any we missed?

1. Sara says:

TI wasn’t waging a war on rapping women. He was defending them (particularly Iggy Azalea, who he has defended against male rappers several times in the past few months, ie Snoop and Eminem). If anything, this was him waging war on MALE rappers, not female ones.

• Kam says:

I was going to say the exact same thing. He loves female rappers, especially Iggy, who he’s supported for so long!

• Dude says:

THANK YOU! I was gonna say the same thing. Hardly the worst moment of the night and telling TI to go back to jail was vaguely racist and pretty offensive.

• Elz/Rap Snob/Proud Hater says:

He’s not defending rap women. He’s just defending Iggy, and questionably so. It would be a grave misrepresentation to say that Iggy’s problem with the larger rap culture stem from the fact that she’s a woman (I’d personally point to her lack of authenticity as exemplified by her vaguely racist accent, but I’m sleep). In fact, I would go as far as to say that using Iggy as an example that “Women can rap” is insult itself.

In defense of Andy, I’m inclined to say, yes. lock up TIP in the highest security Azkaban cell for this horrendous past summer of Iggy Azalea on the radio. When I close my eyes at night, I’m still taunted by the haunting refrain “Who dat, who dat? I-G-G-Y”

• Dude says:

She’s inauthentic, that’s for sure and her image is heavily curated but she’s also talented and especially listening to her early work, it’s evident. From “Backseat Trill $hit” to “Last Song” to “Pu$$y” to “Work”, “Flash” and “Heavy Crown” she can spit, she just hasn’t figured out her creative trajectory and that’s lead a lot of people to lose faith in her cause she’s kind of all over the place. I don’t think the majority of her criticism comes from the fact she’s a woman but it does stem from the fact she’s a white non-American woman. If a white person wants to get into the rap game, they have to be 10 times as good as their counterparts to succeed and she’s not there yet. At the end of the day, she’s talented but would do a lot better if she accepted who she is and owned it as an artist that straddles the line between pop and hip hop because there’s not a lot of people like her in the industry.

2. BrittBrat says:

I’m only an hour and 13 minutes in and I’m incredibly bored!!!!!

3. Gladys says:

Where Is Patrick Dempsey in the Gallery. He trended worldwide in Twitter and he’s not in the list as the best of the AMA’s? Besides when can we said there’s that much hair product on stage to keep amazing hair in place! LOL love him being out there in a stage …I had missed him on one!

4. Amber says:

Hold up…TI saying women can rap=he should still be locked up? That escalated quickly and for a really stupid reason. I would rather you say you just straight up don’t like him. That’s a statement I could support with several facts to back me up.

5. Ann says:

Pit was the star of the night! The king of rating stop hating racist haters!!

6. Truefan says:

Totally agreed with what you said about Pit Bull.

7. Destiny b says:

I was with u until u said 5sos was one of the worst of the night they sounded good and looked even better.

8. Temperance says:

Lorde was the best solo performance of the night (with the always flawless Mary J not counting, since well, she’s always awesome); Jesse J embarrassed every other singer in the place with the best instrument ever. And there was good news and bad news: on the up side, Ariana Grande can *really* sing; on the downside, she can’t enunciate a single consonant. It was a very pretty sound smear, with not a lyric in sight. And Taylor Swift hit another home run in showing us she really is the coolest lady in the biz… and she got an award for it.

9. Miamilover says:

Pitbull flops ? Lmao. Not according to every site out there. You can’t get enough of him and he’s definitely here to stay. Deal with it suckas !!!

10. Anonymous says:

I hugely disagree with you about 5 Seconds of Summer being one of the worst things of the night. It’s actually one of the best performances I’ve seen by them. They were outstanding. They showed us why they’re deservedly one of the biggest bands in the world. 5 Seconds of Summer were brilliant.

11. movie says:

fantastic submit, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this
    sector don’t realize this. You should continue your writing.
    I’m sure, you have a great readers’ base already!

12. Gaby says:

Why didn’t Slezak do this gallery? I don’t agree with him on everything but at least he’s funny and actually understands what’s going on.

T.I was raging war in rapping women? By supporting and defending Iggy? I could go on and on with the stupidity of this gallery.

13. Terry says:

You thought that disgusting display by J-Ho was one of the best?!? I changed the channel. Gross!

14. kates2424 says:

TI is awesome. But I do agree that Pitbull sucks.