Report: X Factor May Return to Fox

Simon Cowell
Former American Idol/The X Factor Judge
OK, so The X Factor didn't really catch on in the U.S. But since you know the cranky Brit's ego won't allow a full-fledged retreat back across the pond, what better place to begin a comeback than a competing network's biggest reality hit? Plus, watching Simon get judged -- instead of doing the judging -- would be delish.

Is Fox looking to reunite with its X?

The network reportedly is in talks with Simon Cowell to bring The X Factor, which was cancelled in February after three seasons, back for Season 4.

Cowell, who created the singing competition and is now a judge on its British version, would leave that post in order to return to the United States, the British publication Mirror reports.

Representatives from the network have not commented on the report. X Factor‘s Season 3 finale was watched by only 6.2 million people — and scored a 1.7 demo rating — marking year-to-year declines of 36 and 45 percent.

The series’ American iteration made several changes during its run, including dropping mentors Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger and host Steve Jones after the first season and adding Britney Spears and Demi Lovato to the mix in Season 2.

RELATED The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: They Want to Do the Wild-Card Thing

If Cowell does depart the British X Factor, it will be the second time he’s done so; the first was in 2010, to get Fox’s Factor going.

Per the Mirror report, Fox’s relaunched X Factor would bow in 2015.

1. Kam says:

Why though? The ratings weren’t that great at all, and most of the talent was subpar

2. SeanC says:

That show sucks. And it’s exactly the same as American Idol, so it’s not needed.

3. Hi, we’re FOX and we’re desperate.

4. Kaba says:

Something told me Ella Henderson making her way through America might spark this up.
    Not that Im saying she’s the reason for all of this, but I won’t be surprised.
    Her and 5th Harmony I mean.

5. R. says:

Glad to hear this!

6. Tran says:

Have the execs at Fox loss their minds already?

7. S. says:

The financial math must work out. We can be amazed all we want, but if I’m gonna celebrate when So You Think You Can Dance? or The Mindy Project comes back, I gotta accept that sometimes it’ll lead to things like this. Now The X Factor could be a lot better than it is and what if Simon finally lets it be more like the British version? The effort to make it more “American” (whatever he thinks that is, seems like he thinks it’s empty spectacle) is what causes the public to have an issue with it. In the plus column for Simon, Fifth Harmony is charting and getting awards (some fan voted, some not, but they’re known artists coming out of the show is the point). Simon needed them in S1 or S2. Dunno what Alex & Sierra are up to these days.

8. alistaircrane says:

If this in any way jeopardizes Gotham or Sleepy Hollow, I’ll freak!

• Joey says:

One of the few times I’d agree with you.

• Ron says:

I’m gonna more than freak; I’m gonna riot. If Fox brings it back, I can easily avoid watching it. Problem solved. If Fox brings it back at the expense of quality shows (like Sleepy Hollow), I will be filled with a plethora of hateful and discontented feelings.

• johnhelvete says:

Assuming that XFactor is two hours and airs in the Fall, than it likely has more bearing on the number of new shows that FOX will debut in the Fall, than returning hits like Gotham and Sleepy Hollow.

• Moment says:

Don’t worry about Sleepy Hollow, it’s fine. The network has done so badly this season there is plenty of room in the schedule to place Season 3 on a different day if need be. It’s safe.

• alistaircrane says:

I hope so but its ratings seem to go down each week, and they’re very down compared to last year. I feel more confident about Gotham. You don’t eff with Batman!

• Moment says:

The ratings are quite stable now. I can see this continuing for the next 9 episodes. While the numbers are down from last year(Like everything else on the network), it’s still doing okay. I’m not too worried.

• David4 says:

Also Netflix pays 1.5-2 million an episode for Gotham, it’s safe.

• Erik says:

But does that go to fox or Warner bros. I doubt fox owns Gotham outright so I’m guessing the majority of the netflix $$

9. lizo says:

Wow, FOX is *desperate*

10. GuessWhat says:

There are not enough quality shows to sustain 4 big networks (not even going to include the CW in the discussion here).
    My brilliant idea: just get rid of FOX or NBC at this point. Merge ’em. Get back to 3.
    The end.

• lizo says:

then all the shows we love on NBC will get cancelled. Fox is sucking because they have zero loyalty to their viewers. NBC isn’t as bad as Fox lol. They merge and the Fox people will be all “hey, these shows you keep renewing that do reasonably okay? we should cancel them cause its totally viable in this media landscape to only see a show’s success if it gets over 10million viewers”

• James says:

If anything the cw should close it’s doors and fox should take flash and if they want anything else from it.

• Drew says:

Man… if Gotham, The Flash, Arrow and Supernatural all wound up on the same network, I wouldn’t even need the ability to change channels anymore.

• alistaircrane says:

75% of the shows you listed are already on the same network. Also, those CW shows would never ever survive on any other network, not with those ratings. Be thankful for the CW!

• alistaircrane says:

Ummm….no. The CW is a great network with tons of fun genre shows that simply would not survive on one of the Big Four networks. The CW is the one network where I watch almost all of their shows. It’s fantastic.

• Moment says:

The CWs current lineup would be better off on cable. And if someday the CW were to close its doors like you wish, the popular shows would end up on cable.

11. Robert says:

I really liked it, so I hope they do. They just need to get the judges sorted. I really enjoyed Britney being a judge. She wasn’t a great judge, but she was entertaining and had good chemistry with Demi. I would like to see Simon, Lady Gaga, Pink, and Pitbull – four very strong personalities who are all talented – be the judges.

• chaouad says:

britney was amazing !

• Slowride says:

Ha ha ha I think I see what you did there. You made sure Britney would get your comment by using the only word she could find to give feedback to the constestants !

• alistaircrane says:

I love Britney, so she was the only reason I watched the second season. Within a few episodes, I realized X-Factor was such an awful show that I FFed through everything except for when Brit spoke. If Godney can’t get me to like X-Factor, nothing will!

• C says:

All the people you had mentioned are not in anyway talented….

• Slowride says:

And I gotta disagree with this comment. I’m a fan of Pink, not so much of Gaga. They can be commercial at time but both ladies are really talented singer and performer live. And have you heard of You+Me? Pink is way more than her singles let on !

12. Larc says:

So FOX wants a failed show back? Slow learners, aren’t they. I think if they are foolish enough to do it, it should be without Simon. He’s the one who made the decisions that turned the last effort into junk.

13. Michael says:

Hmm. This will be interesting. I wonder what he thinks will make it better this time. :/

14. Nancy says:

I would watch it. I love Simon!

15. Nancy says:

What about CHER as a judge? Lady GaGa sounds great too. Tim McGraw?

16. Dude says:

Stop it Fox! STOP IT!

17. Why? Just let all of those singing competitions die already.

18. Terry says:

Ugh, WHY?!?! We don’t need any more bleeping singing competitions on TV, there’s already too many as it is. GO AWAY!

19. They should bring it back as a summer show instead of trying to put it on in the Fall during such tough competition.

20. Ram510 says:

They are already bringing back Are You a smarter than a 5th Grader and now they want to bring X Factor back from the dead? This is just lazy. They just need to focus on finding quality pilots and quit trying to rely on tired reality shows that nobody wants back. Leave them in the graveyard

21. Netty says:

I Love any show with Simon Cowell, I hope Britney, Demi, and Paulina Rubio are not even considered to be judges. They were terrible airheads!

• Panda ross says:

Well panda Ross was cheated season 2&3 and I’m ready to give it another shot so come on with it simon said I had the voice of a legend and the worlds been waiting to get another piece of panda pie I guess 18 million views would say there’s truth to that so let’s just see I know my baby daddy simon cowell misses me and would be glad to see me come brighten up his show together the ratings will be over the top

22. David says:

I enjoyed X Factor and thought it brought something different to the singing competitions. Idol has really become stale and I thought X Factor was more entertaining. The Voice has too many gimmicks and you can’t really get connected with the contestants. It seems like Fox is doing some shorter seasons so there is room. Especially if they go the same route as Idol and cut the results show. Although I guess they could just avoid all this completely and just give Simon a ton of money to go back to Idol.

23. Et al says:

The show will be broadcast live from the Utopia compound.

24. tony says:

The Mirror is not a reputable source. This is the kind of column inches filler to promote the UK show. Ignore it, it won’t happen.

25. The Extreme says:

Don’t know how much you know about the Mirror, Kimberly, but I honestly wouldn’t put any faith in this story at all, unless you also happen to hear it from another more reliable source. I’m from the UK and trust me when I say that anyone over here knows to largely ignore anything read in the Mirror due to the large amounts of fiction the so called newspaper is known to make up. They tend to print anything they like and hope that maybe 10% of it ends up having an element of truth in the end. And 10% is usually generous.

Honestly, I’d put a lot of money on this being entirely made up by a bored Mirror journalist while they were running dry on fictional Doctor Who cast related stories to print.

26. The last season was horrible, but the show has potential. They just keep wasting it.

27. christopher bee says:

I could see this happening, but only if Dermot O’Leary will be the Host.

28. Treve says:

Don’t want, don’t watch. Easy enough!

29. Happy Pappy says:

Wait I’m confused. It was cancelled for supposed low ratings but 6.2 million people is better ratings than most of the shows on fox’s schedule. I mean look at the disaster that was Utopia! They spent $50 MILLION on that crap and it didn’t even have a million people watching. I guess they realized their mistake.

30. Susan says:

That show is garbage and sucks!!!

31. B says:

Just renew Glee too!

32. Moment says:

I’m just casually waiting patiently for concrete news on more 24.

33. TG says:

I’ve been watching the British XFaxctor on AXS and it is so much better than the US version! The judges are much funnier(though I liked Simon and Demi Lovato in the US version) and the performances aren’t as tame as the US version.

I watch the UK version and wonder what happened to the US? Was it sabotaged? It could have been so much better!

Is AXS getting large ratings airing the UK version? Perhaps that is why the talk is there that Fox may resurrect the US version?

34. kirads09 says:

Dear Fox. If you want to resurrect shows, how about something fans would die for? I for one want Almost Human back. I know there was a pretty big fan base for Enlisted. Those are better than this stupid faux singing competition show.

35. Fernanda says:

Bring back Simon, Paula and Randy to Idol, period

36. Josh says:

If you at first you don’t succeed try again…and if you still don’t succeed, try once more and if you still don’t succeed, try once more because maybe the third times the charm but if you’re trying a forth time, you’re an idiot.

37. Sean says:

Are we really supposed to believe a British tabloid?

38. Bob Cobb says:

I think it needs to be on Saturdays, the way it is in the UK. FOX acquiring a college football package kind of put a damper on that, but they can maybe adjust it by sandwiching it between an early game and a late game.

SAT
    4:30 PM – 8:00 PM: CFB Game 1
    8:00 PM – 10:00 PM: The X Factor
    10:00 PM – 1:30 AM: CFB Game 2

Midway through the season you can cut it to one hour and start a marquee game at 9:00, perhaps stealing viewers from ABC and ESPN’s games if they are blowouts.

39. Steven says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

40. kmw says:

Just what we need . The X Factor never did that well over here. FOX must not have any good pilots coming down if they are even considering this. PLEASE NO!!!

41. My guess is FOX is contemplating on having The X-Factor USA replace Idol in a few years time because the show’s ratings have fallen again this year.

42. Panda ross says:

I’ve been waiting to hear this after being told I have the voice of a legend in season 2 coming back in season 3 getting 4 yeses only to be sent to Cali to be told there’s not gonna be a bootcamp I’m ready to try my chances once again alittle piece of panda pie is what the worlds been waiting on and that’s been verified with 18 million views on my initial video 4 on the 1st one before they revised it and 4million on this last one so let’s see

43. Panda ross says:

44. Alexandra Chipman says:

honestly, the X factor should return for fourth season. I mean, the britsh version kept going when Cowell left, so why did the U.S. Get boo’d off? I believe that if we keep a spirit in, we can get great acts. I’d like to try out, so I’m hoping it will return.

45. T says:

Personally I felt when they were tinkering with it before they really didn’t have a clue why people didn’t like it. At least for me it wasn’t the judges. To some extent the host when Chloe was on it was a train wreck but I digress. The issue was the over produced numbers they had these singers doing. Sometimes over the background stuff you could no even hear their voices. Plus all the dancing and props etc were distracting. I want to hear their voice and if they can play the guitar or something I don’t mind that either but the focus was not at all on the talent of the people.

46. Astro became quite the actor and he was unknown before the x factor! He is now in a series called Red Band Society which is on FOX. Along with his movie with Liam Neeson “A Walk in The Tombstones”, and also his time on Person of Interest! Granted he isnt a huge rapper/ singer, but got noticed for acting because of simon! Red Band Society is a Steven Speilberg Show. But on the other hand he also has a new album coming out too!So his talent did get noticed. Even if it is acting!

47. David E says:

The X Factor USA with or without Simon Cowell doesn’t really matter.

48. Maleah Bowers says:

I loved season three of the X Factor i voted for alex and serria threw the whole show, they are what made me love the x factor, and ive been waiting for the show to come back on but it hasnt, soo i hope it does and when i saw that it was cancelled i was madd! So hopefully it’ll come back on cause i could really care less about X Factor UK

• David E says:

I agree with you, Maleah. I loved seasons one, two and three. I too hope it’ll come back for a fourth season this year and I also hope it’ll be renewed for a fifth season next year.

• eric says:

Alex and serria sucked they didnt deserve to win the 5 mill they was so bland i hated them and see what happend you dont hear crap about them

49. luwayne says:

Truth be told. The financial spin off for such a show is huge…. Americans honestly seem to be of the most unappreciative people on this planet…. A show where peoples dreams come true… A show which includes most gendres….. a show where all of the top 5 go on to make successful carreers…. I think you guys all forgot that Simon also brought Idols lol…… the man single handedly has begun more careers and created more actual live singers than any other producer or talent scout on this globe. Mucisians all respect him…… and im from Africa. Would love to hear you if you are subjected to our politically saturated channels

50. Sophia White says:

YEPPI, Im really glad the show will be back, it has help so much up coming artiste. I hope the panel of judges will be Simon and his super cute brat Demi, america loves them, the other judges maybe Rihanna and Justin Beiber.

• David E says:

Me, too! I’m glad it’s coming back. I really missed it. I just hope they won’t bring the Four-chair challenge back this season. Because this was the reason why season 3 ended up with the lowest ratings. I just hope it’ll bring the boot camp and the judges’ houses back. Because they haven’t done them since season 2.