How to Get Away With Murder: Who Killed Sam? Check Out Our Odds!

TOM VERICA

Sam Keating: Handsome. Duplicitious. And very, very dead.

Yep, we all know How to Get Away With Murder‘s cheating professor winds up bludgeoned, set ablaze and ultimately dismembered in the woods, but tonight’s winter finale will reveal whodunnit — and why.

Was it his scorned wife? Could it have been her moony-eyed right-hand woman? What about the one they call The Puppy?

We’ve gathered up a list of 10 suspects, sifted through their motivations and their Murder Night whereabouts and set their odds of having done the deed.

Click through the gallery below for our take on “Who Killed Sam?,” then hit the comments with your thoughts and theories!

1. TVPeong says:

I think it was Wes. He grabbed it out of Michaela’s hand when they walked in and saw Sam attacking Rebecca, and hit him with it. That’s why Rebecca has all that blood on her. Wes’s obsession with Rebecca is intense and he’ll do whatever it takes to protect her.

• Sb2130 says:

I thought about Wes also but that would be to obvious

• Angela says:

Ooh, I like that theory. I hadn’t really considered Wes up to this point, but your post makes a lot of sense, as does this comment from the photo gallery:
      Plus, it’d be a neat twist if Annalise’s comment to Sam about Lila’s death — “I bet the boyfriend did it” — turns out to foreshadow both of the show’s guilty parties.
      I don’t know how that didn’t cross my mind before, but that’s a great point. I’d been thinking Michaela and Bonnie…but now I can add Wes to the “Possible” pile. I’m wavering on how likely Bonnie is-on the one hand, all this knowledge about Lila could make for a good motive for her (’cause the firing would leave her mad at Annalise instead of Sam), but at the same time, she seemed to really love Sam, too. But then again, many other murderers loved the people they killed, too, so…
      Agh. I don’t know! Curse me having to work tonight! Going to be avoiding this site and the spoilers post-episode until I find out what the deal is, I know that much.

• Grey's Fan says:

The Bonnie/Lila meeting happened at Annalise’s home/office – Is it possible Annalise was inside and saw/heard what the two were saying and later confronted Lila…

I read an interview somewhere (can’t remember where; it was online) this week that basically said Sam’s murderer wasn’t acting in self defence or to protect someone – (ie) it was definitely murder. I hope this is true. Would be very disappointed if not.

• TigerLIL says:

I ruled Bonnie out because she was fired and asked to leave plus if she didn’t come to Annalise rescue when Sam was choking her and Annalise was hollering kill me, kill me, kill me, then Bonnie was long gone before the action. But she could have double back. The only person with a true motive to kill Sam was Rebecca who is a wus and would never get her hands dirty doing the real work. She’s a instigator and a blackmailer she is more likely to get you killed than to kill you herself. JMO

• TigerLIL says:

Sam killed Lila because after seeing her boyfriend with her best friend she became completely unglued called Sam and threaten to drop a bomb on him ain’t no way somebody going to skip a job position and rush back driving four hours like a bat out of hell unless they needed to put an end to some madness. Plus Sam can’t account for his time between 10:30 and 2:00 am as New Heaven to Philly is a 3hr 19 minute drive on the highway. Now as for who put her in the tank either Sam and Rebecca or Rebecca and the football player. The way Sam was trying to kill Rebecca I’m going with Sam and Rebecca. They boyfriend football player might have knowing he would be the one accused. My theory Sam killed Lila and Rebecca and football player show up and hide body while Sam hides in the shadows and Rebecca spots him….LOL

• TigerLIL says:

Anybody question Sam is a lair? If you lie, you will cheat, if you cheat, you will steal, if you steal, you will kill. The girl (Lila) was strangled. Sam is a choker. He choked Lila when she threaten to let the baby bun out the oven. He choked Annalise when she set him up to be tested for the baby and sold him out as Nate was so crafty to mention and he choked Rebecca whom he called a terrorist which I think she was a blackmailer when she threaten to out him by getting that DNA that = a person fully capable of murder. Sorry they wrote him out he is the one need to know how to get away with murder…lol Dam Sam…lol

2. Brian says:

I increasingly believe that it was Nate. It’s just a hunch, but for some reason I think Wes & Rebecca are too obvious. I also think Annalise would attempt to protect Nate.

• the girl says:

I don’t see why the Keating 5 would go through all that trouble to cover it up if it was Nate who killed Sam.

• Lisa says:

Please read my post further down. I’m in agreement with you, and I laid out the reasons.

• TigerLIL says:

I’m ruling Nate out because after Sam choke Annalise for turning him in her natural instinct would have been to run to Nate which I believe she did. She is going to wind up protecting him or rather defending him because I think he is going to be accused of the murder…LOL

• Lisa says:

Hehe, it will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Love all the theories. That’s why I love shows like this.

3. Derek117 says:

If the writers go for the most inventive narrative, then Annalise did it. Either directly, or set it up to happen. And, it will make for an excellent second half of the season to see “How [she] Gets Away with Murder.”

I love this show so much, I’m hoping the writers have the courage to make their Star the Murderer. Can’t wait for tonight!

• DoctorWhoFanatic says:

I think that Annalise has already killed – Lila Stangard – and that that is the titular getting away with murder!

• Grey's Fan says:

I think that would be an awesome outcome – for Annalise to have either delivered the fatal blow and then convinced her students to clean up or somehow manipulated the students into doing things (remember they all did bad things that night) that lead to the murder/cover up.

It would also explain Annalise calling Bonnie asking if she’s with Sam – setting up her own alibi of not knowing where her husband is…

• Lisa says:

The only thing is, I would think that if Annalise orchestrated it, they would have handled things better than they did. The kids are operating in panic mode. One thing about Annalise, she’s composed even when she’s panicking on the inside. She would have pointed out that they would make a lot of mistakes if they try to handle it in panic mode.

• Grey's Fan says:

Well, Rebecca already made a mistake when she dialed 9-1-1 from the motel and actually spoke, therefore leaving her voice on the recorded call. This ties Rebecca to the motel and, Wes as well, assuming it was him who checked them in.
            The students in panic mode is realistic because they are inexperienced and not as composed as Annalise.

• TigerLIL says:

Lisa I agree with you on that Annalise is far to compose to have done that and you are correct the kids are acting in panic mode. There is far better tension as a teacher to see if your students got what you taught them than trying to get them to do your bidding your measure as a teacher is what you leave with your students that’s how you create your legacy. The challenge will be seeing if the students have out smarted the teacher

• Lisa says:

Grey’s fan, I agree that the kids being in panic mode is realistic. However, if Annalise was involved in ANY way, she would have definitely directed them not to react while covering it up, in panic mode.

• Angela says:

I’d always wondered if she had some sort of hand in Lila’s death. If so, that’d be one hell of an interesting twist.
        I think she, like Rebecca, is too obvious a suspect for Sam’s murder, though. She’s got all the motive in the world, so we’d expect her to be the most likely killer.
        That said, do I think she helps with the coverup? Ohhhhh, hell, yes.

4. J says:

I’m not good with names, I saw a picture of Liza Weil and read Asher, my thoughts immediately went to GG.

5. Maryann says:

One possible scenario, and the one that comes most prominently to mind at the moment, is Rebecca confronting the husband, and he attacks her. The others who are currently hiding the body defend her and Sam dies, with either the trophy’s owner or one of the others actually hitting him for the death blow. Rebecca just happened to be standing where she would get the blood spatter. After that preview of Annelise yelling out for Sam in desperation, it would have to be a total red herring, or totally out of context, if she is the killer. To me, being able to come up with a killer that totally makes sense, at the same time that we don’t see it coming, is the mark of a complex and classy show. If it turns out to be someone out of left field, I will be disappointed.

6. raych says:

im not gessing coz i always get it wrong but im anxiously praying that shonda rhimes and the weiters heard my early christmas wish nd choirboy gets a huge serving of humble pie preeeeetttttyyyyyy pllllllliiiiiiiizzzzzzz! other than that cnt wait to b amazed!!!!

• raych says:

*writers

• Jack C says:

It’s funny that you chose (only) that to correct…

• raych says:

please do go on u r on a roll enlighten me on my errors ova wat I want!

• Amie says:

In readable English with an attempt to use punctuation, spelling and capitalization: “I’m not guessing because I always get it wrong, but I’m anxiously praying that Shonda Rhimes and the writers heard my early Christmas wish and Wes gets a huge serving of humble pie. Pretty please! Other than that, I can’t wait to be amazed!” That’s assuming that Wes is who you mean by “choirboy,” because I really don’t know.

• Alex says:

Nice one, Amie. Decoding the posts of semi-literates is always work.

7. ronnie says:

The fact that all five of them are involved in some way, I think they each had a hand in it. They all hit him in some fashion which is why they want to destroy any evidence of DNA.

• Lisa says:

I still think that everyone including Michaela thinks that Michaela did it. She is a mess on the Murder Night. She is the least composed. She thinks she did it, and everyone is trying to help her.

• Grey's Fan says:

I have a theory about Michaela being the murderer as well, but WHY would the others be willing to help her? She’s not exactly the type of person the others would be willing to risk their own futures for.
        With all the talk of Annalise’s previous miscarriages I’m wondering if Michaela could be her daughter…

8. I think it was Laurel. In the flash-forward says: “…. Yes, I’m a traitor, a slut and a bad person and now a murderer ….”

• TigerLIL says:

Linda You hit it on the head and I believe it is Laurel…see my theory of the crime below. She is the least likely and hiding in plain site…LOL this show just cracks me up!

9. Sean says:

Annalise did it.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I’m sticking to my guns and say Annalise I said it like a few episodes ago it could be her. But then seeing the flashbacks Rebecca had all that blood on her so had me think it she did it. Overall there’s a lot of choices…..can’t wait for tonight to see WHO really killed Sam!

10. Sweetpea says:

I’ve changed my mind so many times that I’m done guessing. I just hope that it’s plausible and not out of left field. I cannot wait for tonight!

11. Tran says:

My money’s on Liza Weil’s character. Isn’t Tom Verica the same man who directs a number of episodes on another Shonda Rhimes series Scandal?

12. Helen says:

Probably wrong but I think it was Annalise. She seemed so obvious that I thought it couldn’t be her. She was the first person I eliminated. But it would be interesting to see where the show would go from there. She is the professor of getting away with murder after all.

13. Ella says:

There should be “who dunnit” poll with this article.

14. Sb2130 says:

I think it was Bonnie. She was very upset that he manipulated her thoughts also.

15. Mary says:

I know it might be obvious but I think it will be Annalise. I cannot think of anyone else who those students would cover it up for. I think she walked in on a confrontation between Sam and the students and was protecting one of them.

16. Mike says:

My friend writes for the show.
    THIS IS AN ACTUAL SPOILER:

>>>> SAM… IS ALIVE!
    The one who we always see dead is actually BAM, Sam’s twin.
    Mind=blown, I know.

17. Tim Price says:

I bet the Quarterback did it.

18. Marla says:

YES! That dude Griffin is up to something….

19. Marco says:

After they revealed that the scales fell off the trophy, I can’t help but wonder about Asher. Maybe he wasn’t Bonnie’s alibi, she was his. There’s still the comment he makes about his friends and the bonfire, though.
    Either he found about the theft earlier than we thought he did (the scales are not on the crime scene but at Asher’s place), or Michaela called him by mistake instead of Wes (if she does have Asher’s number). He arrives and sees Sam trying to attack Rebecca. Seeing the trophy on the floor, he acts quickly and bashes Sam over the head with enough force to shower Rebecca with blood (Matt McGorry used to be a bodybuilder, so it’s perfectly plausible). Then, maybe scared, in shock or anything else, he runs away, dropping the trophy to the ground.
    Then he comes back for the trophy, but not for the reason we assumed.
    There are one or two holes, though:
    – Why wouldn’t Rebecca mention him and instead lie and say it was her?
    – Why would he fall for Michaela’s text if he knew she was in the house? (In the case of him just realizing his trophy was stolen, it can be explained by saying he didn’t know it was Michaela who stole it)
    – Why would he react so genuinely to the photo the other four sent him?

• Lisa says:

It is possible. Perhaps that’s the reason why Asher comes looking for the statue. If he killed Sam, he knows his fingerprints are probably all over it.

20. Eva says:

Whoever kills him, for some reason four people feel they need to burn and bury the body instead of simply calling the cops – maybe it will be something twisted and involving more than one perpetrator?

• Sweetpea says:

The chick who plays Rebecca said that at this point no one will be a true surprise but the way it all plays out is incredible and all of them were stunned at the table read (I’m paraprasing). I can really only see it being one of the core 4, Rebecca or Annalise at this point and that some of the others walked in on everything for them to all cover it up. Asher and Nate are the only 2 I can’t see killing him at all but I don’t think they would cover it up for Bonnie or Frank.

• Erin says:

I agree with Eva. Something big must happen that makes them all band together & destroy evidence. If all five witnessed Sam attacking one of them & hit him to make it stop, they could call the police. If it was unjustified & someone just went crazy on him, they wouldn’t have their back.

• TigerLIL says:

Eva none of them know who the killer really is they are all assuming it was one of them which it was not. They are keeping tight lipped and just covering for each other the only person who knows he is the killer is the killer like someone said earlier each person is covering for a perceived killer and not the actual killer which I think will turn out to be Laurel

21. I think that its three people who are the most likely… Wes, REbecca or Michaela… Michaela was really freaking out and she had the trophy and reacted very bad when wes brought it at the start of the season…
    Rebecca had a lot of motive because he is def after her in the trailer…
    Michaela could have done it as a slef defense or to protect Rebecca because she walked in on Sam doing something…
    Annalise did not kill Lila. It was either Bonnie or Sam himself…

22. Ceylan says:

Okay, so I know this might sound crazy, but what if Sam committed suicide and made it look like a homicide because it was getting clearer and clearer that he killed Lila.

23. Wes, fallen prey to Annalise’s plan.

24. nate says:

but Michaela had blood all over her face too right? when she was crying by the bookshelf

25. Ashley says:

From the previews last week, it seems like Michaela’s there when Sam realizes what Rebecca’s really doing there and goes after her. Maybe she kills him to protect Rebecca or he turns on her and she kills him. I want Wes to have been the one to kill Lila though. I feel like that’d be a twist.

26. will says:

It’s Wes. Why would the Keating 5 (excluding Asher) try to cover it up? Previews show Rebecca being chased up the stairs by Sam. It can’t be Bonnie because she confessed to Annaliese that Sam kissed her, so why not confess to killing Sam? It’s not Nate because the Keating 5 wouldn’t help protect him. It’s Wes.

• Lisa says:

The Keating 5 wouldn’t help protect him, but they would protect one of the 5 that might believe it was them that did it. Nate still could be the real killer, and really be Mr. Darcy.

27. herman1959 says:

I feel like I should say Rebecca did it, but that’s just too easy so it probably isn’t her. I don’t know, I’ll just wait and enjoy the reveal.

28. Kalee says:

All the clues lead to Bonnie, but she’s prime suspect #1 since the beginning that they’ll probably just made her a red herring the entire time.

Annalise looks more likely. They did that one throwaway scene with her on the phone at the crime scene to maybe throw people off without expanding it further. Plus, it’s in the title and it’s her show.

• Lisa says:

I thought they were going to make the obvious suspect the red herring on Murder In The First also, but they didn’t. So, it’s plausible.

29. R Genius says:

He killed himself people. The pressure was too much. He killed himself.

30. Lisa says:

I guess the real questions are…
    – Did Sam actually kill Lila
    – Is Sam actually Mr. Darcy
    – Is it possible that Lila’s killer also kills Sam

I think that Rebecca hit him. Maybe Rebecca or even Michaela went to confront Sam, because they think he IS the killer. I’m going to suggest that Michaela confronts him. Sam is not the killer, but she thinks he is. He makes some type of move towards her, and she runs and hides. This is when we see Sam on the opposite side of the door. I think that Rebecca hits him with the statue, because she’s afraid that he is going to kill Michaela, but that doesn’t kill him. This is what leads to the Murder Night events, because everyone thinks that Rebecca killed Sam to save Michaela. However, I think after they ran out and met up with the rest of the kids, Lila’s real killer came in and killed him. Perhaps he reveals something about Lila’s murderer during his encounter with Michaela.

Finally, I think the killer is Nate. I have been tossed up between him and Bonnie, but I think it’s Nate for a few reasons.

– Nate inserted himself into the investigation. Albeit at the behest of Annalise. But, even after he lost his job, he’s pursuing it intensely
    – Nate’s comments to Rebecca about getting DNA from Sam. I think he wants to know if Sam is the father, because if Sam isn’t, then he is.
    – Nate is married and could also be Mr. Darcy
    – If Nate is the killer, then he would want to point the finger at Sam. Sam’s alibi falling through would help him. So proving that Sam could be the killer helps him.

Anyway, it’s just one theory.

• Lisa says:

One thing I wanted to add. I think the kids are covering because they don’t realize Nate killed Sam. They all think Michaela didn’t. She’s freaking out the whole time, so I am pretty sure that she THINKS she did also.

• TigerLIL says:

Only one problem why would he be hyped about getting DNA on another suspect his lovers husband when the DNA test could #1 rule Sam out and #2 rule him in…no one knows who the killer is every one is operating assuming they know who the killer is else where would the writer go for next season. We are not going to know who the killer is either and will be guess all next spring. I love this show it cracks me up!

• TigerLIL says:

Nate is in love with Annalise, but he wants to control her and he hates that she puts Sam on such a pedestal. Nate is a detective and they know all the rumors and street game out there about the under belly of that community. Nate already knew that Sam was dipping his stick in the pudding of young girls on the campus and he told Annalise that when she asked him to investigate Sam. Annalise and Nate story going to explode in the next season as I think he will be fingered for the crime.

• Lisa says:

Actually, they’ve been billing this week’s show as being the one that we find out who the killer is, so yeah, anything less would piss off viewers. As for Nate, he already isn’t a cop anymore, so I think he wants to know the DNA results, because he is hoping to use it to point the finger at Sam. I did mention this above.

31. Larc says:

Unless everybody acting to cover up Sam’s murder was actually involved in committing it, they are trying to protect somebody they believe killed him. I can’t think of anybody they would all go that far to help other than Annalise. So they apparently think she did it. But Annalise would be too obvious as would Rebecca. Who else is left? Bonnie, Nate and Frank. Bonnie might do it in belief it would get her back in Annalise’s good graces. But she would be a bit too obvious as well, leaving Nate and Frank. But Nate seems to have broken off his relationship with Annalise, so what would be his motive for killing Sam? That leaves Frank. When he came into his apartment with Laurel and his girlfriend had shown up, she asked if Laurel were “the student of the month.” That says Frank has had relationships with other students, perhaps even with Lila. He could have killed Sam when he learned of Sam’s involvement with and maybe murder of Lila. Or Frank could have killed Lila himself and then killed Sam to keep him quiet. The baby Lila was pregnant with may not have been Sam’s, but Frank’s. Annalise and Sam have been trying for a baby with no success. If the fault has been Sam’s, he may have known he couldn’t have made Lila pregnant and suspected that Frank did.

There’s also another consideration here. HTGAWM is turning out to be a very popular series. Whoever killed Sam will eventually have to pay for it. That’s not likely to be any of the integral characters in the show, so I think they can all be ruled out. Then who else along with Sam can be safely lost? Frank really doesn’t seem to have any obvious role to play once all this is all solved and they move on to other issues.

• Grey's Fan says:

Except when Lila went to the house to inform Annalise about her affair (possible baby) with Sam, Bonnie asked her if she was there to see Frank and Lila reacted like she had never heard of him.
      I do agree that Sam may not be the father of Lila’s baby, but I suspect this will not be dealt with until possibly the final episode of the season to make a cliffhanger for season 2 of: Who was the real father of Lila’s baby?
      Incest is a possibility if Lila was confiding in her psych prof about her relationship with her dad – we met Lila’s mother but I don’t recall the father being around when they wanted to exhume the body and Lila’s mother was against it…

• TigerLIL says:

Lila made it clear when she came to the house that she didn’t know who Frank was. She told Rebecca she was dealing with a married man. Frank was not hardly at Annalise house as he was still bout being cussed out by the girl friend who was at his home when he and Laurel came in for a naughty session. She look like she knows her man and his faults and the Keating 4 not going to cover for him. All five of the people at the crime scene are tied together. Of all of them Laurel is the long shot she is hiding in plain site. They are in panic mode for one reason they do not want Annalise to find out they killed her husband because they know she has the means to bury them.

32. Kris says:

Are all these characters going to be replaced after this season? I mean you would think as college kids each semester is different classes and teachers. I’m assuming Annalise would get a new group of student workers every season, at least that’s what it sounded like in the pilot episode, just my thoughts, was wondering if anybody knew anything different

33. TigerLIL says:

I have went over this a couple of time and I’m gonna have to handicap my pick. I’m going with the two people I think are sociopaths and that is Wes and Laurel. I’m going with Laurel to win, Wes to place and Conner to show.
    -This handicap is based on how they exited the vehicle when arriving at the murder scene. Wes was on the passenger side and had been already alerted by Michaela of a potential threat at the house. He already knew Rebecca was at the house so he would have been the first person to jump out of the vehicle.
    -The second person to emerge out the car would likely have been the other passenger on the non-driver side which was Laurel. Conner would have exited the car last as he had to park the car place it out of gear and remove the keys just out of habit and would have entered the home last.
    -Sam unaware of Michaela presence in the home was chocking Rebecca who was fighting him in the same area he was found dead as he had chased her first up the stairs, which is what Michaela saw and then down the stairs as she was making her way back down trying to make her way out the door.
    -Sam’s back was to the door and he was on top of Rebecca chocking her. Wes enters the home his natural reaction would be to attempt to pull Sam off of Rebecca. Rebecca still pinned under Sam as he was still in a complete rage but was likely being pulled by his neck by Wes when out of no where Laurel strikes Sam on the right side of the head which is parallel to the wall of the stair case where our slugger Laurel winds up standing with her hand over mouth as if she has made a huge error, two or three stair up by the first wall light her back to the wall as she sees Sam fall forward.
    -This is the reason that Rebecca did not see the blow. How did Laurel wind up with the statute. It was drop by Michaela as she ran to the office on the same wall as the fireplace as Rebecca and Sam was making there way up the stairs in the chase she drop the trophy near the door entrance which is the wall side near the stair case and that is where Mrs. Laurel picked it up.
    -Conner may have caught the blow or saw the trophy flying forward of Sam’s head as he entered or he may have saw the strike as he was the last person to enter the scene. Wes concern is Rebecca, Rebecca’s concern is Wes. Wes knows that Laurel hit Sam but he did not see the blow and Rebecca is assuming because of Wes position he must have hit Sam. -The study group and Rebecca are covering for each other and they have convinced Michaela to join in as none of them give a dam about Michaela, had she hit Sam they bout would have walked out and left her not holding the bag but holding the trophy.
    -That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. So how did I come up with a crazy scene like that. I once witness a fight that happened similar to that I describe so this theory is just based on that. Plus I would have written it like that. Could be totally off LOL just have to stay tuned

34. Tyanna says:

It’s not the who, it’s the why

• TigerLIL says:

I know I asked the same thing I think Sam and Rebecca were an item at Wes apartment that use to be Rebecca’s apartment…lol

• Lisa says:

It IS entirely possible that there are 2 different killers. One killed Lila, and someone else killed Sam. Chew on that, lol.

35. Octavia Shabazz says:

It was either Rebecca or the guy she slept with, did it!!!

36. Christe says:

Ok I watched it and I’m still confused! I thought Sam was upstairs wrestling with the girl. How did he get downstairs and who hit him..Wes?

37. Why is everyone acting like they didn’t see/hear what happened? If you watched last night’s show, you hear Rebecca admit that she killed Sam when she is talking to Wes at the motel where he took her. She admits that she didn’t have a choice because he was choking her and she took the trophy off the table and hit him. Please, please just rewatch this episode and listen to all of the dialogue.

38. tsevca says:

I think they all killed him. Rebeca went there to get that proof, met Michaela who was pissed and decided to help her to feel in control for change. Sam caught them. Michaela was able to close herself in that room and had Rebecca´s phone. Wes and others were on the way and he called Rebecca, Michaela answered as seen in promo and told them. They arrived seeing Sam getting that thing from Rebecca who struggled. They tried to save her, get him off her and someone grabbed the troffey and hit him with it. Because he was on top of Rebecca, she got his blood on.
    But I´m just about to watch it, so…