Ratings: Bob's Is Bigger Than Mulaney, Once Ticks Down, Revenge Hits High

Bobs_Burgers_Ratings

Fox’s Bob’s Burgers christened its new Sunday time slot with 3.3 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating, up 65 and 89 percent from predecessor Mulaney’s most recent performance.

Opening Fox’s night, The Simpsons (6.6 mil/2.9) ticked down a tenth, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (4.5 mil/2.2) rose 10 and 16 percent and Family Guy (4.4 mil/2.2) surged 22 percent.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Once Upon a Time‘s two-hour outing averaged 6.6 mil and a 2.4, down 11 percent and a tenth. (For those curious about the half-hours: 2.5 > 2.3 > 2.3 > 2.3.) Revenge (5.2 mil/1.5) ticked up a tenth in to a season high/best-since-March demo rating.

CBS | Madam Secretary (12.7 mil/1.5) and CSI (8.4 mil/1.3) each inched up a tenth, while The Good Wife (10.5 mil/1.3) slipped a tenth.

NBC | In fast nationals, Sunday Night Football (18.2 mil/6.2) added a few eyeballs while matching last week’s demo.

1. I think if it wasn’t for the football game OUAT ratings would be different.

• ChicagoDan says:

OUAT faces football every fall. The ratings aren’t that much different during non-football season. Honestly, I doubt there is THAT much overlap between OUAT and SNF. (If you look at the demo breakdown by gender – OUAT usually has 2:1 F/M ratio. Among the highest on network TV.)

2. Moment says:

Oh well, perhaps OUAT will uptick in the finals by a tenth.

3. Remy says:

The Frozen stuff is terrible. Im surprised OUAT wasnt down more.

• wrstlgirl says:

Agree, I’m not a fan of the Frozen stuff either. I DVR’d the two hours last night and will probably watch over the Thanksgiving holiday or something.

• melliemd says:

Yep, I and the group I would watch Frozen with on Sunday night gave up a couple episodes in. We’ll just pretend it ended last season.

• addie says:

You’re better than me, I pretend the show ended after the 3A finale!

• Jessi says:

It really has gone downhill. The Frozen storyline is weird, and they’re just changing all the main characters to fit into it. Emma’s sudden intense problem controlling her magic, and her parents’ sudden fear of her magic…it just came out of nowhere. I wish they would’ve at least had the forethought to put in little hints earlier in the season that Snow was afraid or didn’t approve of her child’s powers. But they didn’t, so it felt incredibly contrived.

And don’t get me started on the changing of Regina’s character. WOW. I don’t even recognize her anymore. All that awesome stuff she said in Neverland about not having regrets for being the Evil Queen because it eventually led to her to Henry…that was COMLPLETELY FORGOTTEN last night. She actually said she wished she had ended up with Robin in the beginning. Like…what?? Seriously?? This guy you barely know, who suddenly doesn’t give a crap about his dying wife (or son apparently…where is Roland?) and you wish you ended up with him instead of ending up with your freaking CHILD you love more than anything?? Who are you lady and what have you done with Regina?? I honestly feel like I’m just watching pod-people versions of our favorite characters now. I don’t know what happened to this show. Selling out I guess? New writers? Who knows.

• The Frozen stuff, as much as I hate it, has caused a resurgence in the 18-49 demo. The show was in the high 1s by the end of last season but it has been in the mid 2s to low 3s for all of this season.

• Jennifer says:

The question is will the Frozen crowd stick around for the spring and how many pre-Frozen viewers have they alienated at their expense?

• I don’t really know. As I indicated a few posts above, it is the next show on my DVR to go. I actually haven’t enjoyed the show all that much since Season 2. Too many new characters, boring back-stories.

• Jo says:

Speaking as a person who started watching the show because of Frozen, I sort of doubt many of them will stick with it, if they haven’t stopped watching already. And that’s the fault of the show. We have two children in the under-10 age range who are Frozen fans. We saw the promos after the season 3 finale and thought it might be something our kids would enjoy. My husband and I watched seasons 1-3 over the summer on Netflix, and found that we both liked the show in its own right, though we agreed that the first season was the best. There were a few scenes that were questionably suitable for kids, but we felt pretty confident that they would be careful with that sort of thing during a Frozen arc, since the new viewers they were trying to attract with it would likely be young families. We thought we would enjoy watching the Frozen characters interact with the OUAT regulars. And then, for some inexplicable reason, they chose to run a storyline that blatantly paints adultery as “romantic” and condones it. Teenagers love it, but that sort of message doesn’t generally go down well with young families whose children are watching because they were wooed by Frozen. I’m guessing they’ve already lost viewers due to that. I’m not comfortable with it. We’re still watching, but our children are not, so it sort of ruined it for us as a family experience. It was not well thought out, imo. And then, in addition to that, they’ve focused so much on the Frozen characters and themes that there hasn’t been anything compelling enough going on amongst the regulars to keep viewers they gained with Frozen interested in what happens to the rest of the characters when the arc is done.

I honestly like the Snow Queen as a villain, and think Elizabeth Mitchell is doing a fantastic job. I like that they incorporated elements from the original fairy tale. I don’t mind the Frozen characters and think they were all well-cast. Their stories make sense (as much as anything ever has on OUAT), but with the regulars, things are a mess. The arc is very forced, and some of the regular characters are doing inexplicable and/or OOC things to fit the story. It is obvious this was a business decision rather than a creative one, and things have suffered story-wise because of it. They would have been better off waiting on the Frozen arc until they could have gotten their regular characters in a place where it would make sense to bring the Frozen themes in, so that it was more organic. In addition to the people leaving because of the above-mentioned family-unfriendly message being sent, they are probably also losing people who just can no longer tolerate the ret-conning and writing decisions they’ve made, those who were fans of characters like Regina, who has changed so much this season as to almost be unrecognizable, and people who don’t like seeing a lengendary couple like Robin Hood and Marian split up, especially in the way they’re choosing to do it. Just lots of opportunities missed by making bad writing and timing decisions. We’ll stick with it, but I anticipate the ratings going down once the Frozen arc wraps.

• Reality says:

I saw an article which was titles “Watching Once Upon a Time Feels Like Being Trapped In Frozen” and truer words have never been said.

4. Tran says:

This is the beginning of the end for Mulaney. Hope Fox doesn’t want to wasted our time like they did last season with Dads (remember that show?).

5. HeatherC says:

Yay for Revenge!! It’s gotten really good this season so I’m happy their ratings are ticking upwards. =)

6. I.R.E. says:

They made a mistake cancelling Enlisted in the wrong time, either good or bad ratings. Now FOX waste their effort replacing Enlisted with Mulaney. I think Enlisted should be rebooted and put after Brooklyn Nine-Nine and there’s no time to forfeit!

7. Jennifer says:

Not surprised OUAT dropped after the first half hour. It’s not going to help that it’s on hiatus next week. Should be interesting to see how it does after that.

8. Boiler says:

Put New Girl on Sunday

9. Boiler says:

I loved the episode for OUAT but do others have trouble watching a normally 1 hour episode for 2 hours??

10. I’m very happy that the B99 move to Sundays has worked greatly in its favor. I thought it was an odd choice but that’s why I don’t make scheduling decisions…I’d suck at it.

11. Jared says:

I gave up OUAT until January once this Frozen arc is over. The show has bored me way more than it should considering I was a big fan from the beginning. I do have a feeling im gonna stop watching altogether.

12. Kelly Deeny says:

Yay for Revenge! Glad to see the ratings heading in a positive direction.

13. B says:

I’m a little surprised Mulaney wasn’t cancelled after the first airing. I was repelled immediately by the HORRIBLE, badly-delivered, not remotely funny stand-up routine that starts the episodes. I have accidentally seen the beginning of a couple more of those while looking for the remote after Family Guy and it just gets worse. So it’s no surprise that even Bob’s Burgers is doing so much better than that.