Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Jane the Virgin Stars on the 'Nasty' Aftermath of Jane's Choice

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Spoilers

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Monday’s episode of Jane the Virgin.

On Monday night’s Jane the Virgin, the titular heroine broke one man’s heart while giving another hope for the future.

The hour began with an adorable, hilarious flashback to how Jane and Michael met. But by the episode’s end, the two were done, with Jane ending their engagement because of his lies, and more importantly, because something had changed. That something? Rafael declaring his feelings for her, leading to an epic, telenovela-style kiss.

“When I first left Michael on the show, I was literally devastated, as Gina the actress,” star Gina Rodriguez tells TVLine during a recent set visit.

Given that Jane was with Michael for two years and on the cusp of marrying him, the sudden pull toward Rafael “didn’t feel right,” the actress says. “I felt icky. It seemed too fast, because it was. So it was good that what Jane was going through, I was feeling as well. I wasn’t as comfortable, and now I’m very comfortable.” And as the series further explores the Jane-Rafael connection, “it’s been really fun working with Justin [Baldoni, who plays Rafael] in that capacity.”

As for Jane’s quick change of heart: “It gets addressed [on the show], and that’s what’s good,” she adds.

The other point in the love triangle, Justin Baldoni, also was surprised by the speedy transition from Michael to Rafael, but he felt the baby daddy’s declaration of his feelings was “a really beautiful moment” for his character.

“Rafael doesn’t make a lot of selfish decisions anymore,” the actor explains. “Everything he does is for other people, even when he didn’t tell Jane about his sister and the hotel and how he could lose it. Everything is from this place of like, ‘OK, what’s best for that person?’ This is a chance that he gets to make a decision for himself.”

In pursuing Jane, the wealthy ex-playboy has an opportunity to leave behind the materialistic society in which he’s grown up. “Jane represents something new for Raphael in a way that no one else ever has, and that is an escape from this world,” Baldoni describes. “Everyone treats him differently because he’s the boss and he has all this money and he comes from this family, and Jane doesn’t care about any of that stuff. He has a chance to be himself and to forget about all of these things just for a second.”

Even though Jane isn’t interested in Rafael’s riches — somewhere, a Solano lawyer scoffs — there are still “a lot of obstacles” standing in the way of their potential romance, Baldoni warns. For starters, there’s Michael, who’s still very much in the picture since he’s heading up an investigation at Rafael’s hotel. Those three characters mixing in the same space is “awkward and it’s strange, but [it’s] the way it should be in real life,” Rodriguez says. “It is wrong, and it feels nasty at times” to throw her growing relationship with Raf in her ex-beau’s face so soon after their break-up. “You’re going to see Jane go through the experience of, ‘This isn’t fair to Michael. I wouldn’t want this done to me. So do I still continue to feel and allow myself to feel?'”

Jane the Virgin Season 1 SpoilersMeanwhile, Jane’s mother Xo doesn’t think her daughter is being her usual, sensible self; it’s also worth mentioning that she’s grown to love Michael, which may work in his favor should he decide to fight for Jane.

“I think there’s always hope, for sure,” Brett Dier says of the former couple’s future. “They have a strong connection, and he has a strong connection with the family, too, not just Jane. So you’ll definitely see him in her life again at some point. But I’m not saying that they’ll be together.”

But does the show’s leading lady think her romantically torn alter ego will give Michael another chance?

“Jane’s desire to be truthful and honest and good to people makes her make decisions that would seem finite, but in all reality, when truths start to appear and we understand more about a person, we understand we make mistakes,” Rodriguez replies. “And Jane… makes mistakes. So as much as she likes to say, ‘Michael, it’s done here,’ because she doesn’t want to lead anyone on, we all make mistakes. It’s going to be interesting to see if she catches that.”

1. addie says:

I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I’m surprised that they went there so quickly! I’m glad it sounds like it won’t be super easy and fun right away though.

• Liz says:

Well duh it’s a novels! But come on we know how novellas work I much rather get a full season of this verses the whole Michael is lying crap. Bring the love triangle on. Plus in true novella fashion you know something epic is going to happen where Rafael will have to lie to her to help her. Ultimately having Jane hate him but really love him all along. Mark my words lol

• damien says:

well isn’t she already doing that with mike? and cant complain about his lies as she lied to him for 2 years as she was in love with another guy…and rafi just wants the baby not her..he proved that last week

• K says:

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t really think it happened that fast. Jane’s had a thing for Rafael since she was a teenager. And despite Rafael’s comment that he only saw her as a sister, he sure never looked at her like a one.

• damien says:

they had to in case they didn’t get a second season..so if they come back next season then it will be Michael but if this is it then rafi wins

2. ... says:

A show with this type of limited premise can’t afford to burn through plot quickly, so I think this decision will end up being a mistake. Also, Brett Dier deserves better.

• Dude says:

What limited premise? It’s literally a relationship show about a pregnant woman. There are so many story avenues,

• Crystal says:

That poster likely means: “How long can they realistically drag out Jane being a virgin, when she has these two attractive guys to choose from and keeps coming close to having sex with one of them already? “

• damien says:

well the other guy waited two years so unless this new guy waits as long or longer then she will look like a phony and hypocrite and all the good girl catholic stuff will be a joke..esp since she got with the guy five minutes after the break up so she already been cold blooded

• Sheila says:

I disagree. Jane said she is a virgin, not a saint. Michael is the cold-blooded phony who wanted to just get rid of the baby. Jane loves the baby and wants the best for the baby. Although they did not have sex, Michael made out with Jane while in the relationship with her. Currently, she is not in a relationship. You act like Jane is sleeping with Rafe, which she isn’t. Jane does not owe Michael her virginity because he “waited two years.” However, I don’t think she should hop into bed with just anybody either. Who knows, maybe Rafe will be ok just making out with Jane, as well. Jane and Rafe could be growing a deep love. Or they could not work out as a pairing. Michael and Jane had a good relationship. I don’t like to think of it as him just waiting around for her V card.

• Buzz says:

I agree that new CW shows tend to burn through plot at an alarming rate. I felt the same way when watching Reign last year. And, I am not enjoying the second season as much. I bet the same happens to Jane (assuming it gets renewed).

3. MattySi says:

I’m not really a fan of Brett Dier so I don’t mind this at all.

4. Dude says:

I’m kind of glad they’re going here this quick because it makes me feel like this isn’t a permanent choice. To be honest, she simply has better chemistry with Michael and they have a much better developed relationship. Jane and Raphael are that “meant to be” soap opera romance that’s so boring and doesn’t reflect human relationships at all.

• casi says:

I totally agree. I’m glad they are already rushing into Jane/Rafael. That relationship just doesn’t feel as genuine as the Jane/Michael one.

• Crystal says:

I’ve watched enough love triangles, including soap opera love triangles, to know that love triangles usually go back and forth, sometimes for years, before the center of that love triangle permanently ends up with one of the two choices.

And, wow, look at how many times I stated “love triangle(s)” in the above paragraph.

• Amy says:

I agree. There is no way this love triangle is not going to go back and forth a few time. The addition of the baby (which I am very excited to see play out) should mix things up even more. I think they have done a good job of making a strong case for both Michael and Rafael being with Jane. I think the interesting thing will be who she eventually sleeps with since this is a huge, weighty thing for her. Will she ultimately end up with that person?

• Crystal says:

Very good points, Amy. That will be interesting indeed. Intriguing.

• damien says:

well the show is limping along so they might not make it to another rushed her and rafi..but she cant sleep with him after mike waited two years for her and honored her wishes and faith..she already looks bad enough after dumping him then 5 minutes later making out with new guy..married guy at that

• damien says:

well the show is limping along so they might not make it to another season..which is one of the rumored reasons they rushed her and rafi..but she cant sleep with him after mike waited two years for her and honored her wishes and faith..she already looks bad enough after dumping him then 5 minutes later making out with new guy..married guy at that

• damien says:

With Michael it’s love…With Rafi it’s lust and some dream nonsense that she has had drilled into her head of some perfect family that isn’t gonna happen

• Nicole says:

Yeah, I agree. Rafael is ridiculously hot, so on one hand, I can’t really blame her. But her chemistry with Michael is far, FAR superior, it would be a shame to throw that away. The baby daddy thing doesn’t really matter, unconventional is the new conventional, Modern Family has expertly proven that.

5. Robin says:

Love Jane and Rafael. Gina and Justin are magical together and their characters have a connection that neither has with any other character. The road will be bumpy, but excited it has started.

6. Party stamps says:

When quoting Justin Baldoni, you spelled it “Raphael” and everywhere else in story is ” Rafael.” Just FYI.

7. Jane says:

The last couple of episodes are really making me start to dislike Jane. She is really coming off as rather sanctimonious. I actually sort of like Michael and find Rafael really boring and shallow. I want to stick with this show but at this point the only thing I really like about the show is the announcer.

8. Caitie says:

Seriously?! I haven’t watched yet but wow.

I hope the writers know what they are doing. I also hope they realize the casting for their male lead is somewhat botched. The actor has thus far been completely incapable of creating an interior life for Rafael with what he’s been given. He’d have made a better villain than male lead, from what I can tell. At least Michael isn’t a Micah situation totally (seemingly, anyway) derailing the expected main pairing. (I miss Emily Owens, sigh.) I do like Michael better than Rafael, though that isn’t saying much.

9. garnet mcgee says:

Prefer jane with michael but those scenes between jane and her leading men were incredibly romantic.

10. Cate53 says:

I find Rafael very charming and Michael kind of shifty (with boring shirts!!) but I found myself feeling really sorry for him and that Jane was making a mistake kissing Rafael at the end of this episode. Slightly dull Michael is ,of course, a more sensible choice and I suppose there will be a fair bit of soapy back and forth. However, hope it he show isn’t just about the love triangle.

• damien says:

he waited 2 years for her because its what she wanted and to honor her faith and five minutes later she is making out with another guy…how can you not shed a few for the guy

11. pam says:

Who cares about the romance angst, those 2 little wicked step sisters are hilarious as is rogelio and his narcism. Hopefully that will keep jane grounded. Special mention to his ex wife/manager.She is vicious.

12. Lance says:

Wish Michael and Jane stayed together mainly because guy who plays michael makes everything more interesting. He’s an incredible actor.

13. Rebecca says:

I LOVE BRETT DIER!!!! <3

14. brianna says:

really rafe and jane forever

15. demoda says:

I loved this episode! Things are moving along quickly, but I like that. Michael will probably have another chance to win Jane back, but I think her relationship with Rafael is more challenging because they are having a baby, trying to get to know each other and dealing with interference from other characters. This could lead to some amazing plot twists! Now, onto another topic… Has anyone thought about what’s happened to Luisa (Rafael’s sister) and who in the heck is Sin Rostro?! I can’t wait to see how the writers will handle the storyline!

16. Janegirl says:

Love this show! Rafael and Jane have MUCH more chemistry than her and Michael. I’m sure there will be more back and forth but that’s really the heart of the story!

• Sheila says:

I agree, Janegirl. Michael does not love the baby like Jane will. He was ready to just throw the baby to Petra. Plus Michael is shady. What is the deal with his bro?

17. Tanya says:

I find Rafael to be boring & the relationship between he and Jane feels forced.. I’ve never felt organic chemistry began them…. Jane & Michael feel like a genuine pairing.. I love them together.. This storyline isn’t doing Jane any favors though… Her recent behavior doesn’t fit with who we’ve been told the character is so far.. I don’t buy that her attraction to Rafael is stronger than the beliefs she’s had her entire life… I like the show but I dislike the direction it’s headed.. I’m hopeful that Jane will realize Michael is the man for her…

18. Guest says:

From the first episode (as much as I adore Brett!) I found Michael to be very shady. There is something about that character that I do not trust at all. Maybe because he comes off as too good to be true when around Jane to being very secretive and well as I stated above..shady when he’s with other characters. Rafael at first I was hesitant about just because of the playboy tendencies but he has grown to become the person I want Jane to be with. I can’t go on looks because I would just have to say “Jane! These men are both equally super handsome just bone them both..at the same time Bahaha!” I love this show it’s so much better than all the overly crazy dramatic other shows on the CW so I hope it’s renewed! As of now I want Raf and Jane to be together! My mind could change just depends on how more mysterious (in a bad way) Michael becomes or if he charges :)

19. jaredyt says:

Mike is the real deal. Rafael just wants to get in Jane’s pants