Gotham Recap: Purrfect Strangers

Gotham Season 2 Series Regular

This week on Fox’s Gotham, Detective Jim Gordon allied with Harvey Dent to bait the Waynes’ killer, while Bruce’s new housemate turned out to be the cat’s meow.

First off, bravo to the introduction of Harvey Dent (played by Masters of Sex and Heroes alum Nicholas D’Agosto). At the very least, the ADA’s (mostly) upbeat composure increased the show’s smiley quotient by one hundred-fold, amid all these gloomy Guses (to the point that you almost wondered if he walked onto the right set). It’s also nice seeing Gordon have a non-begrudging ally in his fight against crime and corruption — but lore being what it is (and as fleetingly hinted during Harvey’s face-off with LoveCraft), he best enjoy it while he can.

The Case of the Week was above average, if only because Leslie Odom Jr. (Person of Interest) tends to make everything just a bit better. That it all looped back to the Fish vs. Falcone war was a bit of a buzzkill, but again — above average, especially as Hargrove craftily took measures to tip the cops off to the Russians’ location. The story’s more compelling purpose is in how it paved the way for the mayor to declare Arkham Asylum the official holding facility for the criminally insane, which should turn out really, really, really well — maybe even one day inspire one of those videogames Edward is so fond of.

Penguin catching on to the Liza scam came about a bit too easily/quickly, though it did offer up the amusing visual of Oswald having to quickly scamper up the stairwell by her door, “flipper” foot and all. If I am Liza, though, now working both sides of the fence, I wouldn’t buy any green bananas.

But the story that trulygotham-fall-finale brought joy to me as a viewer this week — just as it ultimately did for Alfred — involved the young’uns, as Selina Kyle was given safe harbor at Wayne Manor, while Gordon and Dent set their trap. Of course, much of the enjoyment of seeing these two interact comes from it being viewed through the lens of their destinies, separately and together, yet that still makes so many “little” moments “bigger.” Such as when they both note how quietly the other moves (stealth will prove vital in a decade or so!), or when Selina stresses to Bruce the need to be ruthless, and not just a good boxer or swimmer, when battling true terror out on the streets. And yes, there were even hints of their flirtatious destiny, as Selina repeatedly taunted Master Bruce with the prize of experiencing his first kiss, from her.

The episode’s only “Huh?” moment — and not to gang up on Barbara again — came at episode’s end, when Jim left a “Please come home” voice message for his AWOL fiancee, while she cuddled in bed with her ex, MCU detective Montoya.

What did you think of “Harvey Dent”… and Harvey Dent?

1. Rex says:

Gotham was…subtle with the two face hints. Its an improvement

2. Donise says:

Cant believe barbara shes trash i love gordon he doesnt deserve that cant wait for next weeks fall finale

3. Joey says:

While the scene with Barbara at the end gets a big thumbs down from me, I’d say overall everything in this episode set up for next week’s fall finale really well. Really looking forward to seeing Alfred be awesome.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Nickolas is good as Harvey Dent. Messed up Barbara is cheating Gordon with her ex who Gordon is working Wayne murder case with. Can’t wait for fall finale!

5. Donna MaMa says:

Guessing Barbara can’t decide if she wants a man or a woman

• Rich says:

No, she can’t decide if she wants Gordon or Montoya. She’s bisexual, not sexually conflicted.

• Melanie says:

Wow you don’t get it at all. Open your mind. It’s not about wondering what her sexuality is. She is scared, and Gordon sort of fail at protecting her. And because of what he does she’s a target. And what she feels brought her back to her ex. This is a pretty straight forward storyline that happens in all soaps, just it seems to bother you the character has a different sexuality than the heteronormative relationship.

6. winter says:

Damn I thought Barb was gone for good, but that would’ve been too easy. This epi was so-so, could have done without the boring scene between selina and bruce, that’s what I get for watching live. Loving Nicholas as Dent, he’s so easy on the eyes.

7. Ellinas1978 says:

Why “huh”? They were together before, so she went back to her. Nothing unrealistic there…

8. Elf says:

Actually, the one I’m disappointed in is Montoya. I can understand giving Barbara a place to stay and an ear to bend, but to just hop in the sack with her, given her mental state, is rather selfish and probably not the best thing for Barbara. Plus it’s one thing to get it on with an ex, but another when that ex literally left her live-in partner hours earlier, and she works with him! I don’t care about the gender of any of the participants in this little triangle, but Montoya should know to wait until Barbara’s dust has settled.

9. Sarah T. says:

I’m giving Gotham till the fall finale (next week) and deciding then whether to break up with it or not. This show is just a little too meh for me. There isn’t much on Mondays that I watch so that’s part of the reason I’ve stuck it out but I’m about over it.

10. Hmm says:

I have struggled for months to see how Barbara is important and I just can’t see why. She’s useless and pointless in the story.

11. rainee toneme says:

I can’t stand Barbara. Her character adds zero to the show. I fast forward every scene she is in. Deep down, I hope this is another Barbara, not Batgirl’s mother Barbara. Cause this girl is ridiculous.