Ratings: Film Awards Don't Shine for CBS; Last Man Up, Constantine Slips

HOLLYWOOD FILM AWARDS

CBS’ coverage of the hot mess that is the Hollywood Film Awards on Friday night drew 3.7 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating, down sharply from the 9 mil/1.2 that its regular Friday line-up most recently averaged.

Over on ABC, Last Man Standing (7.1 mil/1.5) rose 6 percent (to a best-since-January audience) and two tenths, Cristela (5.2 mil/1.1) ticked up a tenth, and Shark Tank‘s 100th episode (7.6 mil/1.7) slipped 15 percent.

NBC’s Grimm (5 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth, while Constantine (3.4 mil/0.8) inched up to a three-week audience high while slipping two tenths in the demo.

The CW’s Whose Line (1.7 mil/0.5) and Top Model (1.2 mil/0.4) were flat.

1. Brooke says:

Cristela has been a pretty darn steady performer since its debut, hasn’t it?

2. Rusty says:

I think people are a little fed up with celebrities and award shows. How many shows do they need to pat themselves on the back? I realize they have big egos, but do they need over 20 different award shows during the year and around the world. Enough already.

3. robinepowell says:

My Friday night programming was bumped for an awards show I’ve never heard of and it even didn’t do that we’ll.

Maybe CBS will think twice next time. I went watch Blue Bloods only to find CTV aired a repeat.

4. Tran says:

More bad news for Constantine.

• Chris says:

The numbers will approve with the L+7 DVR ratings bump!

• Moment says:

But its renewal chances won’t. It’s cruising along the cancelation highway with The McCarthys currently.

• Chris says:

Hey Matt, since the networks are going count in L+7 ratings now, will those additional numbers for Constantine will help its survival, or is Moment right? And please don’t compare The McCarthys to Constantine, Moment! The former show airs on CBS on Thursday nights, while the latter airs on Friday nights on NBC! Different networks, different expectations!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It doesn’t matter what the networks “count,” only what the advertisers count. And right now, the vast majority of advertisers will at very most consider C3 ratings (commercial minutes exposed during the first 3 days of playback.)

• Moment says:

I wasn’t comparing in that respect. It’s just two shows I consider equally doomed, with a bit of sense of humor injected into it. I was unaware we had to be serious all the time here. :)

• Chris says:

Thank Matt, but if the advertisers don’t count L+3 ratings like the networks does now, then why bother even including L+3 ratings in the Nielsen ratings? And are C3 ratings part of L+7 ratings or L+SD ratings?

• Moment says:

I forgot to add, but there’s about three dozen shows with better DVR gains than Constantine airing this season. I can’t imagine the C3 numbers are that much higher than the live.

• Chris says:

C3 ratings are rarely made public by the networks!

• Chris says:

And according to an NBC press release from TV By The Numbers, Constantine had an 80% L+7 increase on its pilot episode and a 75% L+7 increase on its second episode. And Matt, why do advertisers and not the networks decide which show will get renewed or not? Do the networks relinquish all control to the almighty advertisers now?

• Moment says:

And if you read that press release, it’s typical network spin by adding ‘alternate platforms’. If you look at the raw numbers for the L+7 for the premiere, it’s not that impressive without it. It went from a 1.4 to a 2.1 for its first episode.

• Chris says:

A 1.4 demo rating is still impressive for a show that airs on Friday nights! Grimm gets the same demo numbers like that!

• Moment says:

I’ll give you that. but it was just the premiere, we’re down to a .8 now. NBC were desperate enough to try and spin the premiere performance by artificially inflating the numbers with alternate platforms. No one does that. Well except NBC. And by the way he wasn’t saying that advertisers decide what gets renewed, he just mentions the C3 numbers basically pay the bills.

• Chris says:

ALL of the broadcast networks are inflating the L+SD numbers with the L+7 numbers now!

• Moment says:

No, that wasn’t what I meant. Constantine got a .7 increase for the premiere, however NBC are trying to inflate this by adding viewing figures from other platforms to this number, to get it to a 2.5(1.1 increase). Quoting this from the press release “alternate-platform data from Omniture, Hulu and Rentrak.”.

The 80 percent premiere increase is nonsensical spin from NBC, it’s not true.

• Chris says:

But its original increase to a 2.1 is still very good for the show!

• Chris says:

And Constantine is shot in Atlanta, GA where The Vampire Diaries and The Originals are shot at, to take advantage of its tax incentives, so the show is very cheap to make!

• Ray says:

Cancelation for Constantine is certain. If you’re a fan of the show just pray that NBC doesn’t yank it from the schedule altogether because with this ratings trend, that’s a very real possibility.

5. GuessWhat says:

ha on dismal #s for awards show.
    we DON’T need another awards show (yes, I realize that one has been around a while but that was first time on tv).
    I wish they would scrap all of them except the top for each segment: OSCARS for movies, TONYS for theater, EMMYS for tv and GRAMMYS for music.
    that’s all that is necessary.
    by adding so many other awards shows, it really waters down the significance of those top 4.

• Sheila says:

I like the Tonys for the performances, since I can’t see Broadway shows live. Other awards shows are boring.

• Ron says:

Agreed. Even though I do also like the Golden Globes because it’s a little less serious, the alcohol flows, and Fey and Poehler have really made it a must-see awards show the past couple years with their hilarious hosting.

6. Moment says:

I think Cristela is worth keeping around, it somewhat works with Last Man Standing. And we all know here that Friday isn’t exactly a powerhouse night.

• Chris says:

You think Cristela will get a second season on ABC because it compatible with Last Man Standing and “Friday isn’t exactly a powerhouse night”, and yet you think NBC will cancel Consantine? WTF?!?!? Constantine is very compatible with Grimm on Friday nights, and both show are doing just fine on NBC on Friday nights!

• Moment says:

No matter how badly Last Man Standing does, Cristela is pretty stable. When it pulled a 1.1/1.2 recently, Cristela pulled a 1.0. The viewer numbers aren’t that bad either. I would be disappointed if they canceled it because it does deserve a chance.

7. Larc says:

Serves CBS right for broadcasting that junky exercise in Hollywood congratulating itself.

8. NotSo says:

I can’t imagine what made CBS think that I wanted to watch the over-paid, over-indulged, and over-privileged pat themselves on the back even MORE than they ALREADY do.

9. Laura C says:

Would much rather have watched Blue Bloods, even a repeat over that film flop. I no longer watch award shows, even what used to be my faves. I just wait for the winners list later that night or next day.

10. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

I watched the show for ten minutes and then gave up. I activated the dvd player and watched Jurassic Park.

11. Kelly Deeny says:

Watching film/tv award shows are to me what sports games are to others. I thoroughly enjoy watching each one, as they all have a unique tone. The HFA’s were okay for their first televised event – I like that they take the time to pay tribute to the work and honor the actor/actresses/directors/screenwriters. I learned about films I’d never heard of but am now interested in seeing when they come out.

12. JB says:

HFA’s were terribly bpring to watch. Only lasted through 2 awards. And this is from someone who schedules around most award shows.

13. RUCookie says:

Barely made it through 2 “awards” with HFA, gave up. It was horrible. Was grateful that Grimm was new and it was great!

14. Ethel says:

Does the CW even promote Whose Line? I would not even know it was on if not for auto record. The Neighbors was a better show than Cristela. Someone should tell the actors unless your name in Seinfeld, a show named after you is not going to last much more than one season. Show named after you, Mark Valley and Sean Hayes(both of whom I absolutely love) are the kiss of death.